Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition - GTA 3 trilogy remaster

Codex Year of the Donut
reminder you literally can't buy the originals anymore because of this lmao

Malamert

Arcane
Edgy
Take-Two also DMCA'd old GTA mods. Remove old mods then force this, possibly unmoddable, Unreal Engine abomination.

Codex Year of the Donut
image.jpg

1634922383537.png

Ash

Arcane
GTA3 was a technological breakthrough and people were amazed by it. What are you comparing it to, crazy taxi and driver?

Literally any 3D game with huge maps? Quarantine? Daggerfall? Terra Nova: Strike Force Centuri? And hell, why not Driver too.

Even 2D open world games such as classic RPGs are important for comparison; technological breakthroughs mean fuck all without good game design to accompany it, and the game design of GTA3 is unimpressive and was back in 2001. Only simps were impressed. Not a bad game, but I certainly don't consider it a classic. Technologically it didn't exactly reinvent the wheel either. It wasn't Ultima Underworld or Doom. Almost any high profile game back then was making steps forwards regarding technological progress you dummy. And plenty not so high profile too.

It sounds like you just fell for the marketing hype and buzzwords. I remember all that shit. It wasn't that impressive.

reminder you literally can't buy the originals anymore because of this lmao

WTF? I hate this soulless remaster shit. They all do the exact same thing: lots of needless graphics whoring for the awful graphics whores, and also add a few dumbing down features for the casuals that whine, never anything that instead increases gameplay depth.

People need to stop buying this remaster shit but they just consume. For no reason. Takes two seconds to acquire the old games typically in better condition and with mods for better play experience. Oftentimes these people even own the original game but buy the new version just because it is new and offers tasteless graphics whoring.

So I do not have all of the old GTAs on PC. Where am I supposed to get them now outside of illegal means?

Fuck I hate what this soulless sellout shitstain of an industry has become.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Can you elaborate? What new engines? Are they compatible with the hundreds of mods out there in that case?

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Can you elaborate? What new engines? Are they compatible with the hundreds of mods out there in that case?
Essentially reverse engineered versions of the original GTA 3 and VC engines. Sadly they didn't get around to SA and Rockstar/Take-Two are suing them but it's worth a look for how well made they are since they fix the modern compatibility issues people could run into.

Ash

Arcane
So not compatible with mods? Don't think I could stomach playing them again without some heavy gameplay incline. They're not exactly very replayable with their auto aim shit, rigid missions, and good but not great baseline gameplay.

Is the source available? Maybe I should make some incline for it. Every time I go looking for GTA mods I get overwhelmed by garbage anyway. A few caught my eye but they are buried underneath hordes of trash.

Ghulgothas

Arcane
This is amazing. Those stylized models clashing with the amped levels of texturing, after-effects and reflective lighting is the epitome of graphical tackiness and stylistic bankruptcy.

Ere's your Duffenetuv Edistion remaster bruv, year of our lord 2021.

Jigby

Augur
So not compatible with mods? Don't think I could stomach playing them again without some heavy gameplay incline. They're not exactly very replayable with their auto aim shit, rigid missions, and good but not great baseline gameplay.

Is the source available? Maybe I should make some incline for it. Every time I go looking for GTA mods I get overwhelmed by garbage anyway. A few caught my eye but they are buried underneath hordes of trash.

On top of the compilations, 3 and VC have fully reversed versions. Not sure to what extent this remaster makes them obsolete. https://github.com/td512/re3 https://github.com/td512/re3/tree/miami

If the mods are reliant on the original binaries, they're obviously not compatible. If they're not, they should work. Stuff like widescreen/silent/aimfix and the rest of the basics is already included.

Morenatsu.

Liturgist
GTA3 was a technological breakthrough and people were amazed by it. What are you comparing it to, crazy taxi and driver?

Literally any 3D game with huge maps? Quarantine? Daggerfall? Terra Nova: Strike Force Centuri? And hell, why not Driver too.

Even 2D open world games such as classic RPGs are important for comparison; technological breakthroughs mean fuck all without good game design to accompany it, and the game design of GTA3 is unimpressive and was back in 2001. Only simps were impressed. Not a bad game, but I certainly don't consider it a classic. Technologically it didn't exactly reinvent the wheel either. It wasn't Ultima Underworld or Doom. Almost any high profile game back then was making steps forwards regarding technological progress you dummy. And plenty not so high profile too.

It sounds like you just fell for the marketing hype and buzzwords. I remember all that shit. It wasn't that impressive.
It kind of sounds like you're the one who needs to play more games, not me. In what world are Daggerfall and Terra Nova relevant to GTA? They're all entirely different genres.

fork

That's the biggest fail across the entire industry: colours and lighting. Every game looks like plastic, remaster or not.

Ash

Arcane
Biggest fail is the gameplay being dumbed down to retard levels.

fork

Biggest fail is the gameplay being dumbed down to retard levels.

No. It's just just worse for the gamer.
But the colours/lighting are a solved problem, and the solution would be easy to implement. Gameplay is not quite as easy.

Both are no accident though, and simply are evidence that we are no longer the target audience. Braindead negroes, faggots, NPCs and cape shit fans are.

This shit looks weird. The OG games weren't supposed to look cartoony, so this attempt of modernizing material surfaces, lighting, effects just make the un-updated elements pop out more. I have watched this trailer 4 times, VC and SA look increasingly more disgusting through each watch because their visual is seemingly having an internal clash.

The original GTA games were all meant to look cartoony. They weren't like Jet Set Raido cartoony, but the character models were always stylized looking as opposed to going for realism. Even when they toned it down in the official art after GTA3, they were still pretty fucking cartoony looking.

GTA doesn't drop the character models looking cartoony until GTA5. Like even the GTA4 character models have these exaggerated facial features along the same lines as like Def Jam Fight for NY. From the original GTA up to 4 the series was always pretty cartoony.
The character models were slightly exaggerated to compensate for the low polycount, and as polycount increased they were less and less exaggerated. It's just that sticking to accurate proportions at low poly means the picture looks less realistic than emphasizing the bits where detail is needed (head, hands, feet).

You wanna know how you know this isn't true? The characters are exaggerated in GTA and GTA2. It wasn't a stylistic choice because of the 3D polycounts, it was just a stylistic choice. If they wanted the drawings they put in GTA, or those little talking heads in GTA2 to look realistic they could've done that, but they didn't, instead they made the characters look like this:

UnknownFriend-GTA2.png
Sunbeam.png
Elmo.png
Billy_Bob_Bean.png
Labrat.png

Now they may have stayed with that stylistic choice because of the PS2, not that there weren't games on the PS2 that same year that looked better and had characters with more realistic proportions, but these were stylistic choices they made for GTA before 3D models ever figured into the equation.

Also GTA4 and GTA5 came out on the exact same generation of hardware and GTA4 is still using exaggerated character models but GTA5 isn't really anymore. You put a character's face from GTA4 next to a character's face from GTA5 and they almost look like two different series.

Last edited:

ADL

Prophet
Imagine DMCAing mods of the originals over this tacky looking bullshit. Fuck T2 I will seed hundreds of copies out of spite.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom