Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

1eyedking Vampire: The Masquerade - goth cringe or Christian apologetic?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I disagree. IMO concealment is a thing to consider in urban fantasy. Sure, if a policeman caught you with a illegal firearm you can just dominate him to forget about it, but I still don't think that going into the streets of Commiefornia with a huge arsenal in your backpack makes sense.

Bloodlines is a game where you can go on a killing spree and then hide in the sewers for a while until the heat dies down. Concealment doesn't matter.

Wesp5

Arcane
Bloodlines is a game where you can go on a killing spree and then hide in the sewers for a while until the heat dies down. Concealment doesn't matter.

Indeed. In the latest version of the UP plus version I added that walking on the hubs with a weapon drawn will at least create a Criminal Violation sooner or later...

Semiurge

Cipher

Indeed. In the latest version of the UP plus version I added that walking on the hubs with a weapon drawn will at least create a Criminal Violation sooner or later...

You forgot(?) to answer whether attempting domination on Therese affects her approval score.

Last edited:

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine

The ideal sequel to VtMB. Instead of VtMB 2, Daniel Vávra could make a non woke SPIRITUAL successor set in Central or Eastern Europe during the Christianization of this regions, how the vampires deals with the new religion or in post Soviet collapse. That would be 10001 better than a game set in Commiefornia or in Soyattle with all Frankfurt marxism bullshit. He made a amazing medieval chad simulator. I'm pretty sure that he can make a amazing vampire urban fantasy game. And he should hire Chris Avellone!!!

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
Adam and Eve were created with supernatural grace and many preternatural gifts, including the gift of integrity, by which their lower faculties (memory, senses, passions, body) were controlled by the higher faculties (intellect and will)
huPj4NtCjjU.jpg

Problem with low lethality is that the game needs to support that, like the characters need to be able to seek cover easily (most people don't wear armor) or convincingly intimidate the player so he will not consider using violence unless necessary (permadeath for example). Some sort of justice system that you can't shoot your way out of, too.

You do know that spirituality is kin to schizophrenia? One part of it is assigning deep meanings to mundane details, and making odd associations between them. Atheists and agnostics are sounder mentally than the average Godfucker. My mind is clear, I pay no heed to insignificant details that obfuscate the universal truths.
yeah, about that

https://bigthink.com/starts-with-a-bang/big-bang-beginning-universe/

Surprise: the Big Bang isn’t the beginning of the universe anymore
We used to think the Big Bang meant the universe began from a singularity. Nearly 100 years later, we're not so sure.

Codex Year of the Donut
"a wizard did it" makes a lot more sense than the alternative proposed
reminder that the counterargument to the fine-tuning argument is literally the equivalent of a comic book multiverse

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
counterargument to the fine-tuning argument is literally the equivalent of a comic book multiverse

No, is the fact that the universe is not fine tuned to life. Is life who get adapted to the extremely few places where it can flourish. This universe is a chaotic mess with supernovas, black holes, endless expansion till a cold death. The ancient Greek Idea that everything comes from chaos and will go to chaos(which is the primordial deity in Greek Pantheon) makes way more sense. The ancient Norse idea that everything comes from the primordial chaos makes way more sense too ( https://norse-mythology.org/tales/norse-creation-myth/ ). I"m not saying that I believe in this creation myths, only that the idea of a fine tuning universe is something recent in human history.

--------------------------------------

Back to vampires theme. If you could choose a city to have a vampire : The masquarede game (official or spiritual successor), which city would you chose? I :
  • Odessa - Ukraine - One of the most popular tourist destinations there
  • Ushuaia - Argentina - The southernmost city in the world. Few hours of sunlight during the winter.
  • Prague - Czechia - Very historically important city in the world of darkness. I don't know if the generic battle royale happens there.
  • Taipei - Taiwan capital - The game can explore the conflict between kindreds of the east and western vampires

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Back to vampires theme. If you could choose a city to have a vampire : The masquarede game (official or spiritual successor), which city would you chose?
Wien.

t. Tremere

Not any more as of V5. The Vienna Chantry was the first target of the Second Inquisition. And I imagine they will try to stick to the V5 lore.

Avarize

Magister
No, is the fact that the universe is not fine tuned to life. Is life who get adapted to the extremely few places where it can flourish.
Wow, a firing squad just emptied their magazines at me and everyone missed. Oh, well that's just the way it is. There couldn't possibly be anything that caused this extremely unlikely event.

Lambach

Arcane
  • Taipei - Taiwan capital - The game can explore the conflict between kindreds of the east and western vampires

Not a whole lot to explore there. The KotE books more-or-less state that a Vampire coming into Kuei-jin territory is dead meat (deader than usual, that is) and that's that. Kuei-jin going westward, on the other hand, not only have a real fighting chance against Vampires, but are a serious threat as well. I once saw a post from some guy who described this very well: "It's like the Kuei-jin get a bunch of VtM rule books immediately after their Second Breath and know almost everything about Kindred, but Kindred are apparently retarded and still know next to nothing about the Kuei-jin after all this time"

Why yes, the KotE books were written by some weebs with serious yellow fever, how could you tell?

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Not a whole lot to explore there. The KotE books more-or-less state that a Vampire coming into Kuei-jin territory is dead meat (deader than usual, that is) and that's that. Kuei-jin going westward, on the other hand, not only have a real fighting chance against Vampires, but are a serious threat as well. I once saw a post from some guy who described this very well: "It's like the Kuei-jin get a bunch of VtM rule books immediately after their Second Breath and know almost everything about Kindred, but Kindred are apparently retarded and still know next to nothing about the Kuei-jin after all this time"

Seen plenty of contradictions to the above. Tzimisce running Tokyo, Ming Xiao having the Mandarin research Kindred, India being Ravnos dominion, etc.

Lambach

Arcane
Seen plenty of contradictions to the above. Tzimisce running Tokyo, Ming Xiao having the Mandarin research Kindred, India being Ravnos dominion, etc.

Regarding India, the "Asian" parts of the world that Kuei-Jin rule over are "Asian" from the perspective of the book writers - i.e. Americans for whom "Asian" is synonymous with slanty-eyed rice munchers. The Middle-East is also in Asia, but there's no significant Kuei-Jin presence there either. Bloodlines takes more than a few liberties with the PnP lore, so I would call that point moot.

Didn't about that Tokyo thing, tho, that's pretty interesting. Is that from one of the KotE or VtM books?

Matalarata

Arcane
Patron
Why yes, the KotE books were written by some weebs with serious yellow fever, how could you tell?

While this is indeed, extremely and unrefutably true, the in lore reason given in Hengeyokai is that the Middle Kingdom is, generally speaking, more "aware" of the supernatural and many creatures there are actualy quite older than your average kindred. A standard Kue Jin is already mildly more powerful than a western vampire (can more easily act under the sun, just to name one) and is more prone to have alliances with spirits or others. Also better access to magic items. As I was saying before, quite a lot of the overarching prehistory is recapped in a succint but more or less clear way, precisely in those books. So there's that too...

Still yes, the explanation is the books were written by some gigantic weeb.

Edit: I talk auld editions tho. I possess 1st and 2nd, dunno about any retcon or modern crap, I steer away.

Lambach

Arcane
V5 Camarilla sourcebook.

.......... Oh.

Well that came out some 20 years after the first KotE book, which is what I was talking about. Maybe there's some back-and-forth in east Asia between the Kuei-Jin and Kindred in V5, but I really don't remember there being any significant amount of it back in the older books. But if Bloodlines 2 is as dead-set on being based on V5 as it seems to be, Taipei or Tokyo are as good place as any, I guess.

Lambach

Arcane
While this is indeed, extremely and unrefutably true, the in lore reason given in Hengeyokai is that the Middle Kingdom is, generally speaking, more "aware" of the supernatural and many creatures there are actualy quite older than your average kindred. A standard Kue Jin is already mildly more powerful than a western vampire (can more easily act under the sun, just to name one) and is more prone to have alliances with spirits or others. Also better access to magic items. As I was saying before, quite a lot of the overarching prehistory is recapped in a succint but more or less clear way, precisely in those books. So there's that too...

Oh, no doubt. If you take the original KotE books as Gospel Truth, then Ming Xiao is absolutely correct - they are a superior breed and Kindred really are just some lowly blood-licking dogs. VtM had the misfortune of coming out first, so with a couple of exceptions, every other setting that came after it had to dab on Kindred and establish the creatures of the new setting as cooler, better and more powerful than them.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom