Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland Wasteland 3 + Battle of Steeltown and Cult of the Holy Detonation Expansions Thread

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I've been waiting for both DLCs to replay this game as I quite enjoyed it back when it first came out.

Having just finished Steeltown, I get the distinct impression that it's written by a twenty-something woman. There's this bitterness and passive-agressiveness that permeates everything.

Even as you meet and talk to goofy robots and talking toilets, what should be fun just feels schizophrenic.

If this is indeed the better of the two DLCs, I'm not really looking forward to the second one. Gonna give it a shot though.

Saduj

Arcane
I've been waiting for both DLCs to replay this game as I quite enjoyed it back when it first came out.

Having just finished Steeltown, I get the distinct impression that it's written by a twenty-something woman. There's this bitterness and passive-agressiveness that permeates everything.

Even as you meet and talk to goofy robots and talking toilets, what should be fun just feels schizophrenic.

If this is indeed the better of the two DLCs, I'm not really looking forward to the second one. Gonna give it a shot though.

My experience was that they are about the same in terms of quality. Steeltown has the elemental damage gimmick and Detonation has combat by objectives gimmick. Steeltown is a little bigger with more side quests and combat but to me it became a bit of a slog towards the end so I didn't mind the next one being smaller. Steeltown's writing is adolescent while the factions in Detonation are just outright moronic and not in any kind of an endearing way. I didn't completely hate either but the original content is more enjoyable and fine without them.

My only caveat would be that I didn't bring anyone with social skills to Steeltown and that it seemed like maybe there was potential for a more interesting outcome if I had.
Thinking maybe there was a way to install that administrator who left to form the gang in the junk yard had I been able to talk to him but that's a guess.
I can affirm that talking skills are essentially useless in Detonation.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
The DLCs are OK but IMO, if I had played the DLCs with the base game, I would have been pretty tired of it all by the end. Probably a better experience if you just play the original content.

This has been my experience on a blind playthrough. DLCs don't fit in anywhere, ended up begrudgingly doing DLC1 before the endgame.

Don't, skip it.

These are some of my feelings as well from the videos I have seen on Youtube.
The DLCs don't seem to fit the general narrative of the main campaign at all. They seem to be 'just there', otherwise they would have played a much bigger role.

-The flow of tech the Patriarch requires for his nation has come to a halt
-There is a possible new energy source that could reduce the need for the gasoline the Gippers produce.

Looking into these is as essential as dealing with his children.

Kind of the same like with the DLCs Bethesda produced for their Fallout games. You are quite fine without them, unless you want more stuff to do.
It is not making the setting any more interesting or adding to the campaign.

After patching this thing and releasing their collectors edition or whatnot, inXile should really dump this franchise and move on to greener pastures (in the context of isometric turn based cRPG's).

Agreed. I am pretty much over my interest in the Wasteland franchise as well, as well as most other PA themed RPGs.
If nothing interesting and new can be done with them any more, then don't bother.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I played trough steeltown, i thought it was fun. The new mechanics serve as a nice distraction from the usual beat, but not too long it overstays its welcome. I enjoyed the story too. Not on mask of betrayer level or even any of new vegas DLC, but still solid 7/10.

From what i heard the annoying one is the cult of detonation one

gothfox

Liturgist
Just finished WL3, didn't bother with the DLCs because of the comments here. It was fun. Storyline/MQ is meh, but everything else (combat in particular) is solid.

:happytrollboy:

I'd prefer less consolized UI, I guess, but I wasn't bothered much by it. Will play more Inxile games in the future (as opposed to Obsidian, lol).

edit: that one room with russian-named mobs in it was cute.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
The kind of shit you get to do with Microsoft money: https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/post/wasteland-3-weapon-props-w-mark-cordory-creations

Wasteland 3 Weapon Props w/ Mark Cordory Creations

Normally when you see a video game weapon prop some super-genius craftsperson played a game, zeroed in on something awesome, and then brought it to life using their hands and weird putties and clays. That’s not what happened here. This is the backwards tale of us commissioning some physical Wasteland props to display in our offices, and then using them as reference to create models and textures for the Cult of the Holy Detonation expansion as weapons you can play with.

When we commissioned these pieces, we worked with one of the best, Mark Cordory. We asked if he’d be up for answering some of our naive questions, and he amazingly agreed.

file.jpg

Q: So, Mark, you have a really impressive selection of TV and movie props you’ve made over on your website (MarkCordory.com), and it begs the question how you got into this and how long you’ve been doing it?

A: Thanks, I’m glad you like my work, and I was really pleased to be invited to contribute some weapon designs and builds to Wasteland 3.

I’ve been a props (and costume and puppet) maker since the mid 1980’s. As a child I’d grown up with a fascination for all things SciFi and Fantasy, and my Friday nights would be spent watching old black and white SciFi and Fantasy/Horror classics on TV. I was always making ‘stuff’ as a kid, (a lot of Aurora model kits, Meccano, etc.), and art was by far my best subject at school, so choosing a career in the arts, and eventually Film and TV, was kind of a natural progression for me. Fortunately, I really enjoy my work and I’ve been lucky to be involved in a lot of fun projects over the years.

Q: The pieces started as your own designs (Diminuator, Bolt Thrower, Ragnashock) with a little bit of guidance from our team, which is kind of backward for how this usually goes for video game props. Tell us a bit about how that process worked.

Mark: My process for building anything within the Post-Apocalyptic genre is a pretty organic one; I’ll start with a general idea, but I like to let things evolve as I work on them. I’ll usually start with a selection of pieces I’ve scavenged from various places–flea markets, car boot sales, even skips (industrial dumpsters) etc. – and play around with them to see what might work to fulfil any particular brief.

It’s very much like the process I used for a lot of the builds I created during my time running Props Fabrication on the Eccleston and early Tennant seasons of Doctor Who. Budget and facilities were very limited in those early days, so a lot of what my department produced was via a process of looking at existing shapes, (old vacuum cleaners, random parts off vehicles etc.), to see what would work for the brief since we didn’t have access (or time or budget) for things like 3D printers - it was pretty ‘old school’ stuff.

file.jpg

You guys actually referenced one of my Doctor Who builds—the ‘Defabricator’ from the Eccleston season finale—in our initial discussions, so that definitely informed the D1M-INU-8-0R’s design with the 3 prongs.

I think creating stuff for the wasteland environment is a very similar process though, since that’s essentially what you’d be doing once the manufacturing of new items ceases – you’re going to be salvaging what’s left and repurposing it.
file.jpg

Q: Okay, so in the case of the Ragnashock – walk us through your thought process for how you imagine a weapon functioning. Does the end result (an electrical axe) inform the design, or do you start from materials side and let the scrap you’ve collected guide you?

Mark: The Wasteland designers gave me a very open brief for a melee weapon (just the sort of brief I enjoy) so I was looking for something that would just feel ‘cool’ and something that might offer some interesting game mechanics for the players. I’d had the old washing machine motor stator (the copper-bound ring that forms the ‘blade’ of the Ragnashock) kicking around the workshop for a few months. As with a lot of things in my workshop, I knew it would come in useful at some point, I just didn’t know when. I figured it would make an interesting head to a melee weapon and it also cried out to be something that would have some sort of electrical capacity to it as a weapon, so that single piece basically informed the rest of the build.

file.jpg

Q: The weathering on these pieces appears completely natural. How do you approach weathering your pieces, and do you have any secrets you can share?

Mark: It’s really all about faking the passage of time and creating a history for any particular piece whether it’s props or clothing—it’s basically lying in 3D.

Creating texture where there is none, whether that’s physically through dents and scratches on items, or repairs and patches on clothing, or visually through layers of chipped paintwork and dirt, it all helps to create a story. Giving pieces the feel of their previous uses through things like industrial or military stencils also helps create the feeling of things having been repurposed for the wasteland. Basically you’re trying to create depth and layers of age, so that often involves repeated applications of paints and dyes and powders and inks, which can be a long process—creating the passage of time takes… time.

file.jpg

file.jpg

Q: What kind of advice would you give a burgeoning prop maker? Have band-aids on hand? Cut away from yourself? Don’t use the nailgun over the family’s dining room table?

Mark: The main thing I always say to anyone looking to get into this sort of work is: Health and safety people! There are so many ways to hurt yourself, either in the short term through burns and cuts, or in the long term with the chemicals and dusts you can be exposed to. A lot of the materials we use in this industry seem to be actively trying to kill you, so taking care to use the correct safety equipment is really important, whether it’s goggles for grinding, masks and proper extraction for fumes and particles, or gloves to protect yourself from chemicals – they’re all important because you’re only ever going to have one pair of eyes, lungs and hands, and you’re pretty screwed without them.

Other than that, I think you just need to have a genuine passion to learn and create fun stuff, and fortunately the internet offers so many useful tutorials for anyone who wants to learn cool, techniques, (my early, pre-internet, career was often spent scouring the pages of Cinifex and Fangoria looking for clues to how things were made, it’s much easier to find out these things today).

file.jpg

Cult of the Holy Detonation in-game weapon models based on Mark’s prop designs.

Q: Be honest: when you make your post-apoc pieces you envision yourself as someone out there foraging for scrap, right? What’s your alter-ego’s name and story?

Mark: Oh absolutely. I do a lot of LARP—I’ve been active in the hobby since 1982—in fact I got into the Post-Apocalyptic genre through a LARP here in the UK about 7 years ago, so walking around in costume pretending to be a wasteland survivor is something I’ve done a lot of. My main character ‘Strugatsky’, (named after Boris and Arkady Strugatsky, the authors of ’Roadside Picnic’ which is one of my favourite semi-apocalyptic novels), has been to quite a few different apocalypses over the years, including the OldTown festival in Poland and Wasteland Weekend in California - both amazing festivals. Strugatsky's kind of old and grizzled, (a bit like myself these days alas), but he’s not dead yet. I guess his secret is that he doesn’t really take the apocalypse too seriously – even at the end of the world you still need to find some humour righ, and he’s also the character in the ‘I’m Going To The Store, Do You Want Anything’ meme that did the rounds last year (yup, that’s me) – 2020 was a strange year all round!

file.jpg

Q: Where can people find your stuff, and do you want to give anyone a shout out?

Mark: You can find my website at markcordory.com where you’ll also find links to my various online platforms on Facebook, Instagram and Pintrest, plus my stores on Redbubble and TeePublic. As to a shout out: well the Post-Apocalyptic genre has inspired a lot of incredibly talented crafters over recent years, so there’s a lot of great work out there, but I have to give special mention to a few of my favourites including Wasteland Pirate, (whose work is probably among the best out there at the moment), Evan Ohl, (who’s work on weapons is just pure movie-quality stuff), and also Moxx Industries and Craft Collabo who are both producing amazing work, so go and check them out. Anyway, thanks again for giving me the opportunity to contribute to your game!

file.jpg

Thank you, Mark! We’re excited to have some incredible post-apoc creations to display at our offices, but we’re also excited to play with them in Wasteland 3! We hope you enjoyed this short Q&A, and hope you’ve enjoyed putting the Bolt Thrower, Diminuator, and Ragnashock to good use in the Cult of the Holy Detonation expansion.

Before we split, here’s our Community Manager Matt “Mattonomicon” Amy messing around with the Ragnashock. Tastes like a penny!

c84f3a_a41404d301b74483b09f67d255203135~mv2.webp

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Fargo will spend money on Wasteland 3 props, but not Avellone's Tides of Numenera comic, I see how it is.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
I really enjoyed steeltown, but the detonation DLC is really tedious, and really the storyline really feels tacked on and doesnt fit. Like it would be better as a post game DLC that takes place outside of colorado.

I haven't been far into it yet, but steeltown fits easily into the bigger schemes of colorado arc, and if weren't for new mechanics, if you dont tell me, i won't even know that it is a DLC even.

Holy detonation's theme doesnt fit at all and the fact it's such a bizzare faction that the patriach doesnt know nor it interact with the other pre-existing factions really feels weird.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Well at least the music is pretty cool. But yeah, fuck i dont think i can finish this DLC. They decided to make every inch of this place an endless spawning ebemy

Trithne

Erudite
So I played this a bit at launch and decided to sit until it had finished baking to give it a proper college try. It sounds like they're basically done adding features, so now's the time, and skip getting the DLC (I own the base game already)

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
So I played this a bit at launch and decided to sit until it had finished baking to give it a proper college try. It sounds like they're basically done adding features, so now's the time, and skip getting the DLC (I own the base game already)
Steeltown is solid, as long as you dont force yourself to non lethal style. I feel like steeltown did the same theme (more or less) much better than the outer worlds in 30 hours.

Skip the second one. Almost every fights are respawning shit while you complete objectives.

The Dutch Ghost

Arbiter
and skip getting the DLC (I own the base game already)

Sometimes I think, switching from expansion packs to DLCs was a major mistake.

If DLCs could restore content that was cut for time or resource reasons, but fitting in naturally with the rest of the main game it would be great. But most of the time DLCs just stick out like ugly warts in the game and have little to no impact the main campaign.

Then just set all this stuff after the main campaign so we can find out what happened after we saved the world/stopped the evil bad guy/helped evil triumph/toppled the evil/incompetent corporation/helped the evil/incompetent corporation rise to power.

Yes, I know that that would require a lot of resources for a DLC,. That why I again think full blown expansion packs may be better.

Right now it just feels like "Go to this new random place" after some existing or newly created NPC or radio message tells us about it, and that it is crucial that we resolve the situation here, despite that the rest of the game world doesn't seem to react much to it.
Or just afterwards tells us that it is nice that the problem has been resolved and they have some 'thing' again.

Or take future DLCs into account when designing the game and knowing that certain parts or locations that could have impact on the main campaign will likely be cut. For example, if the game has endslides that show what happened after the player has completed the game, that there are still some problems that have not been resolved (because the DLC has not been implemented yet) or that there are still some negative outcomes.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
On Steam, Steeltown has mixed reviews, Cult of Holy Detonation is mostly negative. Sneaky Fargo sold Microsoft some snake oil because it seems like any talent that was there had already left. :lol:

(alternately the best people are on first person not-Arcanum and these are totally phoned-in)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

https://www.inxile-entertainment.com/post/wasteland-3-patch-1-6-9-420-now-live

Wasteland 3 Patch 1.6.9.420 Now Live

c84f3a_198c4bc100bb4b16913df4bf8ef6a6fd~mv2.webp

hehe nice.

Cult of the Holy Detonation

• Fixed an issue where the radio call to begin the expansion did not trigger if you had previously dismissed the Morning Star radio call. Morning Star will not be ignored.

• Fixed an issue where the computer in the Holy Detonation chamber could turn hostile to the player, making it so you couldn't use it. Although I bet it wasn’t as hostile as my mother-in-law! Heyooo. You’re a great crowd, thank you so much.

• Fixed an issue in which having a Ranger removed from your squad via a science experiment allowed you to get your squad into an invalid state (5 CNPCs and 1 Ranger), blocking progression. Invalid state? You know who I’d like to put into an invalid state? My mother-in-law! Heyooo! Thank you so much folks.

• Fixed an issue where auto-saving, while the crane was lowering onto the pressure plate in the Loading Docks, caused a progression blocker. Progression blocker? You know who has been blocking my progression? My mother-in-law! You’re terrific, you’re terrific.

• The VR Headset’s audio effects were persisting when selecting other characters, so we fixed that. It has also been moved to the Special section of the Crafting UI so it’s easier to find. VR? You know who lives in a Virtual Reality? My mother-in*cough**choke* … *thump**dragging sounds**woodchipper whirring**grinding noises* Sorry about that. Back to the notes.

• The follower obtainable from the Security Level now runs faster during exploration, so they shouldn’t fall far behind you.

• Fixed an issue that could cause the Bubble Shield status effect and VFX to persist after combat was over, even though the bubble itself was gone.

• Fixed an issue that made it look like Purging Grenades could hit interactive objects (such as explosive barrels and doors) when aiming them.

• [Controller] Made it easier to interact with tumor doors.

The Battle of Steeltown

• Players should now get pulled into a conversation after saving Steeltown from the gang raid, giving them a reward.

• Fixed several issues in the Steeltown Exterior where certain NPCs were being drawn into combat, causing combat to softlock.

• A few other small fixes that took a lot of effort but that no one will probably notice.
Balance

Cult of the Holy Detonation

• The Infused Diminuator weapon has had its stats improved: it now has higher Hit Chance, Mag Size, and AoE radius. It also applies stronger versions of its Shrinking and Embiggened effects, making it more effective for buffing and debuffing. We also fixed a number of minor bugs that could allow for these status effects from different sources (such as the Shrink Ray) to stack up on top of one another unintentionally. RIP in peace Sean Prime.

• The Detached Security Turret and its Infused variant have been improved in response to player feedback. Damage and Hit Chance have been increased slightly, while AP cost has been reduced. This makes it more efficient than most other HMGs in terms of AP cost vs. damage dealt, and much more effective as a turn-ending weapon.

• The Ragnashock’s “Thunderstruck” ability now has a 1 turn cooldown.

• It was too easy to get “clipped” by the Evangelist's Bless effect while running past it in combat, so we reduced the size of its area slightly.

• The Optical Camo Shroud now boosts Sneaky Shit instead of Explosives as originally intended, in addition to its existing bonus to Detection Time. Important note: being invisible does not make you immune to frag mines.

• Gorilla Pheromones now provide +1 Kiss Ass. Unleash your inner primate, you damned, dirty ape!

• The Bomb Hopper Launcher no longer consumes all your AP when you use it.

Balance Base Game

• The Foam Finger's “Inspire” ability has been changed. This is partly because it was too similar to Rally in behavior, as well as due to an exploit that let players bypass its cooldown. Instead of an area-of-effect around the user, it now lets you target individual characters to buff, but at a reduced AP cost and with no cooldown. The Hit Chance increase has also gone up from +5% to +10%.

• The Cardio Regulator, Vital Enhancer, and CRISPR Box have been adjusted. Due to the order in which character CON is calculated, the percentage-based CON bonuses weren’t providing as much benefit as the tooltips suggested. They now give flat max CON bonuses that are roughly equivalent to the amount of CON we intended them to provide. We also reduced the penalties on them to make them more appealing to use in general vs. other armor mods.
Gameplay

• Kills by your own deployable turrets and robots now grant XP!

• Made several improvements to mouse tooltips in combat. The game will now correctly display information about AP cost, whether the target is blocked or out of range, and other related feedback, when targeting abilities, or when using the Attack action directly from the quickbar.

• The Toasty perk should no longer set animals on fire when attempting to use Tame Predator on them during combat. It kind of made sense, but also did it?

• You can now double-click on the minimap to quickly move the camera to that spot.

• We fixed a bug with the Opportunist perk that wasn’t causing it to provide the correct amount of bonus Strike Meter when making handgun attacks. Due to a calculation error it was providing much less than intended.

• Enemies who are Engulfed will now properly combo with Bleeding Strike.

• In response to fan feedback, characters who are using Ambush and gain AP will no longer have their Ambush canceled. This is now consistent with the other final actions (Defend and Prep).

• Fixed an issue that caused the Chain Ambush perk to cause combat to lock up under certain circumstances.

• Fixed an issue where the EMP Grenade would sometimes not detonate. In fixing this we revealed a previously unnoticed issue where it would only Glitch robots if your Nerd Stuff skill was high enough to hack them normally. This has been fixed to function as described in the item’s tooltip, with a 50/50 chance of Glitching robots caught in the blast.

• Fixed brawling animations so that they look better while wearing large brawling gloves, such as the Power Gauntlet.

• Fixed an issue where players using mouse & keyboard could not aim their Torrent Strike if it was activated via the Stormer perk.

• Deployables and squad followers are no longer hit by Friendly Fire when disabled in the options menu. Bear in mind that allied or otherwise non-hostile NPCs can still be hit. Please use caution when skinning that smoke wagon.

• The Discobot's Light Show status effect now works on robots, mutants, and synths correctly. Everybody happy!

• Fixed an issue that would cause the Prisoner to re-appear in the prison in Ranger HQ endgame even if he was released.

• Fixed a few random encounter maps where enemies were not starting combat when shot, like fish in a barrel.

• Fixed an issue in Old Survivalist Bunker where squads with low Perception could not pass through a specific alarmed door.

• Fixed an issue where the player couldn’t hit the Manifest Destiny tank with circular area of effect attacks.

• Fixed a money-making exploit. Which one? We’re not telling.

• Fixed an issue where a few players got their Big Trouble in Little Vegas quest into an un-progressable state, having arrested Brygo but not choosing which prison he should be sent to. Any games in this state should now be progressable.

• We fixed a crash that was caused by some aggressive driving on the part of the Scar Collectors crushing their allies through the map, their bodies hurtling endlessly and painfully through the infinite void which shall one day consume us all, the echoes of their screams swallowed by the inky blackness of the nothing. This has been resolved.

• Fixed an issue in which areas in Little Hell, near the pool room, were non-navigable.

• Sending Dierdre to La Perla now provides the intended reward. Which should be the immediate death of your squad and the game auto-uninstalling, but it’s probably ammo or something. You’re sick. You’re sick and you need help.

• Numerous fixes to minor and/or rare-occurrence issues.
User Interface

• In a recent patch, we changed how our font was bolded, which inadvertently made text more difficult to read at some resolutions. It’s been changed to more closely match the original text.

• When hovering on a target to use either Hack Robot or Tame Predator, it’ll now show as “Impossible” if the requirement is over level 10.

• Targeting a Strike ability with the mouse will now show a different mouse cursor, making it easier to tell you’re aiming the ability.

• Ability tooltips for deployables will now list “Empty Space” as the target rather than “Allies and Enemies”.

• Fixed an issue where character models and item requirements were not updating properly when cycling through your Rangers in the inventory.

• Cleaned up various UI and gameplay issues around repairing the Kodiak when it was wrecked.

• [Mac] Fixed some textures that could cause a crash while set to High or Ultra graphics settings.

Co-op

• Fixed an issue where the game would sometimes softlock when two players looted the same item at the exact same time.

• Improved the reliability of the host’s Multi-Kill Leadership bonus triggering in combat.

• Fixed an issue in which some guest players could not move through an important door in the Old Survivalist Bunker map. Why did things in this map suddenly break? Because making video games is very very fun.

• Fixed some host/guest sync issues for the final combat in Cheyenne Mountain.

• Numerous co-op fixes to minor and/or rare-occurrence issues. You know what I wish was a rare occurrence? My mother-in-law! Heyooooooo!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Given that they went with a meme number, I take it this is Wasteland 3's final patch. Anyone waiting can start playing now.

Old Hans

Arcane
After finishing this, I'd advise everyone to simply skip it.

Technically it's very polished, but it's so soulless and pointless. Just standardised RPG content, game seems to be without an ounce of creativity.

The combat is popamole and easy, the skill system is retarded, items are forgettable etc.
I thought the combat was much improved over wasteland 2 & the camera doesn't totally suck ass

Blutwurstritter

Learned
How exactly does co-op work in this game ? Is it like Divinity: Original Sin and allows you to play the main campaign together or is it just some side content detached from the core game ?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
How exactly does co-op work in this game ? Is it like Divinity: Original Sin and allows you to play the main campaign together or is it just some side content detached from the core game ?

Like Divinity: Original Sin, although I don't believe the game is designed around it to the same degree.

Old Hans

Arcane
its like single player but with two separate 3 man teams instead of one single big team.

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
Finished holy detonation honestly it was mostly pretty ass. I do like
to get the best ending you have to sacrifice one of your ranger permanently. I mean you can just make a sacrifice doll in ranger HQ, but it’s still cool, and my main ranger chose to sacrifice herself

HoboForEternity

sunset tequila
Patron
And all the songs in the DLC rocks. So at least there's a bit of silver lining in this mediocre piece of additional content.

Base game so far (just about to confront liberty) is solid 8/10

Steeltown is 7/10

Holy detonation is 5/10

Faarbaute

Arbiter
I've finshed the Cult of the Holy Detonation DLC aswell now and it sucked.

They even managed to make combat boring and frustrating by interrupting the flow with conditional triggers like enrage, invulnerability, summon reinforcments and so on.

Then there are scripted sequences where you lose control of your characters, both in combat and outside of it, to be force fed exposition.

Even though I was prepared for this, I am still disappointed.

Smerlus

Educated
Yeah the 2nd dlc is pretty trash. It would have been nice to see the radiation branch off the party if you were ignoring the safety measures and bathing in it. Have some party members mutate and others glow.

But then again these ideas that InXile came up with would have had to be in the game from the beginning so that the rest of the world would be able to comment on the changes.

The DLCs add good ideas but they're tacked on when they should be rebalanced into the entire game in a true director's cut. I'm sure the main story could have benefitted from some objective based battles instead of the final dlc being mostly objective based battles.

Fucking hate the last fight in the dlc also. I'll finish it soon but as soon as the cutscene happened to show why the last battle is taking place, I had enough shit writing for the day.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom