Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

Ash

Arcane
God of War already leads Steam pre-sales - Genvel

Alright you cucks which of you are not only doing the sad act of pre-ordering, but are also pre-ordering popamole shit.

Decline enablers. Decline enablers everywhere.

I'm going to be optimistic and assume these data analysts are paid off to make this claim, to create the illusion of demand which then makes the sheep join the illusory bandwagon. Sad that that is the best case scenario.

:0-13:

toughasnails

Well Days Gone sold a bunch on Steam in spite of having middling reception on PS4 but I guess it playing into the popularity of open world survival games on Steam helped with that. Days Gone on the first sight looks like your postapocalyptic zombie survival game only with AAA production values rather than being indie title as is typical for the genre.

God of War had glowing reception on PS4 so it is no surprise that PC gamers are eager to try it for themselves.

Ash

Arcane
But PC gamers are supposed to have higher standards than the console peasants.

Haha funny joke. Vast majority of gamers are lame cucks.

Dexter

Arcane
God of War already leads Steam pre-sales - Genvel

Alright you cucks which of you are not only doing the sad act of pre-ordering, but are also pre-ordering popamole shit.

Decline enablers. Decline enablers everywhere.

I'm going to be optimistic and assume these data analysts are paid off to make this claim, to create the illusion of demand which then makes the sheep join the illusory bandwagon. Sad that that is the best case scenario.
This is an article.

About a Tweet:

About a Screenshot of the Steam Global Top Sellers at a snapshot in time on the 20th of October when it was just added to Steam and the News broke: https://store.steampowered.com/search/?filter=globaltopsellers

It's #33 right now a few days later.

I have no doubt it will be on Top of the Global Top Sellers around release and probably sell rather well, but I'm not sure what "leads Steam pre-sales" is supposed to mean.

The only one I accept from your list is Uncharted, just barely. While it features dumbed down combat, puzzles and platforming, none are completely absolutely brainless and automated.
I'm always reminded of this when I hear of Uncharted:

This is already the fourth title from 2016 where Neil Cuckmann was the Game Director and that was SJWified, since the sympathetic huwhyte male protagonist built up by the Trilogy had to be deconstructed by getting beaten up by a Stronk Black Qween while the player is in control and can do nothing about it:

Twice, once while he's helped by his brother:

Unfortunately similar to God of War this is the one they want to Release on PC while I'm actually interested in the Original Trilogy from 2007-2011 when Amy Hennig was game director and it was a light-hearted Cinematic Action Adventure and not mean-spirited and political. I don't know how much this speaks to the gameplay in that.

Last edited:

samuraigaiden

Arcane
RPG Wokedex
Ironically, since the PCMR meme became a thing PC gaming has effectively embraced the role of console surrogate with benefits. Unconsolized PC games are niche products in the contemporary PC gaming landscape.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The Lost Legacy was actually all right gameplay-wise, and Druckmann wasn't involved. :M

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm very glad I played this game completely for free back when it was in the PSNow service. This game is complete shit, and the story isn't even good. It's design by committee - the product. It has the polish of being bug-free, but it's terrible in every other front.

Ash

Arcane
Ironically, since the PCMR meme became a thing PC gaming has effectively embraced the role of console surrogate with benefits. Unconsolized PC games are niche products in the contemporary PC gaming landscape.

"Consolized" is a moronic term in any context other than interface design and level of configuration. If talking about game design being heavily dumbed down to retard levels that happened in the 2000s, that originated from PC devs. It wasn't until PC devs started selling out in droves and unleashing their total soulless garbage (e.g The Xbox was born from PC-oriented devs, Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, Invisible War, Oblivion, Bioshock) that everything went to complete shit. Console gaming was never that retarded until the great sellout decline. The design was typically simpler on average, but nonetheless cohesive and demanding in the majority of cases. Western PC devs abandoning the PC for the piece of shit xbox and butting into the then Japanese-dominated console market created the new standard of decline we saw in the 2000s. Sadly. Blaming consoles was a hilarious scapegoat so PC devs didn't have to face the direct wrath from the original fans.

The core of the decline I actually blame Looking Glass studios for. Once they went under or it was clear they weren't getting anywhere and probably understandably butthurt by Halo sales (from another sellout PC dev - Bungie) they spread out and unleashed total decline: The Xbox was actually a Looking Glass creation in the first place (Seamus Blackley - creator), Tomb Raider: Legend (Doug Church - lead designer), Bioshock (Ken Levine), Invisible War (Warren Spector), become a leading figure of Zynga (Paul Neurath). There isn't more obvious selling out than those, and it was in the early decline days (early-mid 2000s). Most devs hadn't clued into the notion that the majority of gamers have no standards and you can just focus on graphics, lame cinematics and shit and allocate a large portion of the budget into marketing and actually sell way more than actually good, gameplay-centric games.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"Consolized" is a moronic term in any context other than interface design and level of configuration.

Have you forgotten that during the xbox/360 days it put a lot of hardware-induced restrictions on games compared to those made only for PC or PC first? It's only true that it hasn't mattered any since the ps4/xbone generation.

ScrotumBroth

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I don't really understand GoW appeal, tried it and it's just a hackfest. Throwing somebody against a mountain (and whole mountain breaking apart) for 0 damage screams serious impotency issues. And then there's the homoerotic first boss with overly attached girlfriend syndrome begging Kratos to make him feel something as they roll in the mud...

2b2a9ab909b4f1e43682c102ac40c890.jpg

ADL

Prophet
I was interested but the more gameplay I watch, the less I'm interested in it. Days Gone in reverse.

Ash

Arcane
"Consolized" is a moronic term in any context other than interface design and level of configuration.

Have you forgotten that during the xbox/360 days it put a lot of hardware-induced restrictions on games compared to those made only for PC or PC first? It's only true that it hasn't mattered any since the ps4/xbone generation.

If "consolization" is used in the context of PC devs being sellout cucks and prioritizing consoles over their native platform & audience, then yeah, that is acceptable use of the term too.

Consoles are almost always behind PCs hardware-wise, as they were in the glorious 90s too. It only became a problem when PC devs made it a problem, in combination with the lame excessive graphics whoring focus they were committing to at the time and the general sellout mentality; A recipe for disastrous game design.
If only they stuck to later porting their games over to console as the standard used to be. But that wasn't enough, no, have to maximize that cash flow. Have to become some greasy fuck selling retarded derivative shit like fortnite to the kids, gambling and addiction-inducing game design, introduce achievements and other general manipulation.

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
Well Days Gone sold a bunch on Steam in spite of having middling reception on PS4 but I guess it playing into the popularity of open world survival games on Steam helped with that. Days Gone on the first sight looks like your postapocalyptic zombie survival game only with AAA production values rather than being indie title as is typical for the genre.

God of War had glowing reception on PS4 so it is no surprise that PC gamers are eager to try it for themselves.

Days Gone killed any interest in the PS4 release with its long announcement (June 2016) to release (April 2019) cycle that took so long its genre (zombies) died from being overdone, and the really, really bad trailers (fake scenic movements, worst writing ever) killing any hype it could ever have had. I remember repeatedly seeing it and reacting "That still hasn't come out yet?!". The PC release came out in the middle of a heavy drought for ultra polished games that were actually games (As bad as it is, Days Gone looks like an actual game, even if it's a hopelessly generic one. Soy of War on the other hand has regular conversation corridors and even worse gameplay than the original GoW), and was after long enough the genre wasn't at rock bottom.

Falksi

Arcane

"Consolized" is a moronic term in any context other than interface design and level of configuration. If talking about game design being heavily dumbed down to retard levels that happened in the 2000s, that originated from PC devs. It wasn't until PC devs started selling out in droves and unleashing their total soulless garbage (e.g The Xbox was born from PC-oriented devs, Gears of War, Halo, Call of Duty, Invisible War, Oblivion, Bioshock) that everything went to complete shit. Console gaming was never that retarded until the great sellout decline. The design was typically simpler on average, but nonetheless cohesive and demanding in the majority of cases. Western PC devs abandoning the PC for the piece of shit xbox and butting into the then Japanese-dominated console market created the new standard of decline we saw in the 2000s. Sadly. Blaming consoles was a hilarious scapegoat so PC devs didn't have to face the direct wrath from the original fans.

The core of the decline I actually blame Looking Glass studios for. Once they went under or it was clear they weren't getting anywhere and probably understandably butthurt by Halo sales (from another sellout PC dev - Bungie) they spread out and unleashed total decline: The Xbox was actually a Looking Glass creation in the first place (Seamus Blackley - creator), Tomb Raider: Legend (Doug Church - lead designer), Bioshock (Ken Levine), Invisible War (Warren Spector), become a leading figure of Zynga (Paul Neurath). There isn't more obvious selling out than those, and it was in the early decline days (early-mid 2000s). Most devs hadn't clued into the notion that the majority of gamers have no standards and you can just focus on graphics, lame cinematics and shit and allocate a large portion of the budget into marketing and actually sell way more than actually good, gameplay-centric games.

Funnily enough I was playing the excellent Warsong (Der Langrisser) on the Megadrive this past week, an brilliant turn-based strategy game released in 1991. It was initially released only on SEGA's 16-biit machine and, despite some really shoddy AI, it's still a fucking cracking game because of how all the elements it includes interact with each other in battle.

The troop type, the terrain, proximity to the commander, the commander's level, additional items etc. all effect how each battle pans out greatly, and the scenarios are designed excellently to ensure that you have to make every advantage count.

Now I've played more complex strategy games on the PC, but this is a perfect example of how consoles weren't THAT much simpler than the PC back then. Yes they were simpler, yes they were more bitesized, but (as you suggest) overall it was about the era and philosophy which governed it rather than the system.

Some of the scenarios in Warsong took me 6-7 attempts to beat, and playing through first time I had to stop and restart after 12 scenarios because I'd levelled my commanders up poorly. I can't think of a PC strategy game since the mid 00's which has offered a similar challenge?

Last edited:

GreyViper

Prophet
Well few interesting things that caught my eyes, were FF7 Remake coming to PC, but Dragons Dogma 2 is most newsworthy. Still without seeing the game it's only speculation if it can achieve the same fame its predecessor had. Still, we have the EDF6 and Destroy All Humans 3 to wait for. On side note I wonder if XCOM3 is the direct sequel or the marvel one?

ADL

Prophet
Supposedly this is Sackboy Adventures which may be announced tomorrow at Sony's State of Play event.
Marmalade is allegedly the codename for Sackboy: A Big Adventure.
https://steamdb.info/app/1599660/
Not that I had any doubts on the GeForce Now leak but this along with God of War confirms their current slate of PC ports.
COtBRHK.png

Deracine is From Software's VR game btw
Well few interesting things that caught my eyes, were FF7 Remake coming to PC, but Dragons Dogma 2 is most newsworthy. Still without seeing the game it's only speculation if it can achieve the same fame its predecessor had. Still, we have the EDF6 and Destroy All Humans 3 to wait for. On side note I wonder if XCOM3 is the direct sequel or the marvel one?
Dragon's Dogma 2 was all over the Capcom hack that happened a couple months ago.

Ash

Arcane
List of mostly terrible games made for simpletons.

I am curious about one: Returnal. Dead Nation is an overlooked solid little couch co-op gem from the deep decline era. Their follow up Alienation was...ok. Better in many ways, yet worse in many others. Returnal is by the devs of those games, but of course I expect the worse and hope for the best.

Oh and Demon's Souls, but yeah, probably should just emulate that.

Perkel

Arcane
apparently Sony will be releasing it under wait for it...

unknown.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom