Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Clipboard02.jpg

Magic still reigns supreme in Crusade Mode.

purupuru

Learned
Knowledgeable people, please, explain this math to me:
f5a0ddaee3.jpg
So a x3 crit results in a number which is not a multiple of 3. How does this happen? Does it mean that for every crit there are 3 (or whatever) independent dice rolls that are added together? Is it how crits are counted in table top? And if so, why is that? Why use several different rolls instead of one roll multiplied by the crit multiplier?
https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/combat#TOC-Critical-Hits
Yes you roll multiple times and add the rolls together.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
f5a0ddaee3.jpg
So a x3 crit results in a number which is not a multiple of 3. How does this happen? Does it mean that for every crit there are 3 (or whatever) independent dice rolls that are added together? Is it how crits are counted in table top? And if so, why is that? Why use several different rolls instead of one roll multiplied by the crit multiplier?
OK, I have just read that. However, the question remains: why? Why several independent rolls? Was it easier without calculators to add 3 2-digit numbers instead of multiplying one number by 3 or 2? Something else?

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Liches can shake skeletons to see what falls out.
20211023112508-1.jpg
20211023112525-1.jpg
Feeblemind is another essential part of their spellbook. Coupled with Withering Life means you're only ever two spells away from inducing brain-death in anything you come across.

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Less extremes? You get results that are closer to average value (rather then 4d8 x 3 multiplier = 96 on a roll of 8).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
f5a0ddaee3.jpg
Well, obviously according to owlcat, multiplying by 3 can give you 32. It's nearly as they didn't do roll D8 but they used some float random number, and rounded it. How much DR has hostila?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Nice codexers... Yea, but his explanation was wrong.

You first multiply critical, then add precision damage like sneak attack.

volklore

Arcane
On Saturday I have finally finished Act 2. I must say that I've felt a little exhausted by that.
This is a very combat heavy game - even for me (primarily a buildfag with a little combatfag).
The marathon of 3 main areas in short succession: Leper's Smile, Lost Chapel and Drezen (the last one somewhat understandably, as its a siege) - each of them with extreme combat density, was honestly a bit much, I've felt.

There were some places in Kingmaker that felt like that too - like the Zombie Cyclops ruins in Varnhold Chapter, but overall the pacing and density felt much better.

Does the pace of the game change sometimes, or is it like that all the way?
It's the lost chapel + drezen effect, I felt the same tiredness after going through those 2 zones. Especially Drezen, there is a level of bloat in there that is really tiring even more so if you do all the battering ram door events (maybe it was the effect they were looking for, it being a siege and all). Act 3 is much more kingmaker paced, and act 4 is just one big city and 1 dungeon at the end of it. And while there is still a lot of combat, it is nothing compared to drezen. Act 5 is similar to act 3 but shorter

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
On Saturday I have finally finished Act 2. I must say that I've felt a little exhausted by that.
This is a very combat heavy game - even for me (primarily a buildfag with a little combatfag).
The marathon of 3 main areas in short succession: Leper's Smile, Lost Chapel and Drezen (the last one somewhat understandably, as its a siege) - each of them with extreme combat density, was honestly a bit much, I've felt.

There were some places in Kingmaker that felt like that too - like the Zombie Cyclops ruins in Varnhold Chapter, but overall the pacing and density felt much better.

Well there is:
Areelu's Lab (possibly no way out location)
Ivory Sanctum (You gotta be kidding number of fights.)
Greengates (obnoxious)
Blackwater (VERY obnoxious possibly no way out location)
RIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDLLLLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.
Wintersun (Too many too difficult fights.)

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here

Well there is:
Greengates (obnoxious)
Those smiledons at Wintersun have like +35-40 to attack, lol fuck that place

Sunri

Liturgist

Well there is:
Greengates (obnoxious)
Summon some crap to tank them and snipe them they are squishy

volklore

Arcane
Sorcerer - Undead Bloodline can make them fight each other, which is funny.
Why undead bloodline, they aren't undead. This area of wintersun was like the easiest part of the area for me, just phantasmal web they never got a full attack. And Nenio can do that just fine.

Mystary!

Arcane
f5a0ddaee3.jpg
OK, I have just read that. However, the question remains: why? Why several independent rolls? Was it easier without calculators to add 3 2-digit numbers instead of multiplying one number by 3 or 2? Something else?

It's simple, people love rolling dice, the more the merrier.

volklore

Arcane
Why undead bloodline, they aren't undead.
I remember changing their minds somehow. Or maybe I'm slipping into dementia. Disregard what I said.

EDIT: They *are* undead, but they're immune to mind affecting and compulsion. Proof.
Those aren't smilodons in wintersun, they are the plagued ones you encounter in a few locations in act2. Wintersun smilodons are Ferocious Smilodons, they are alive and aren't immune to anything (and they have a very weak will save).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
My disc arrived today. It has a manual with very nice glossy pages and developer commentary, however the disc itself doesn't work. It's just as well because the back of the box mentions that a Steam account is required and it only shipped on one dvd, so I'm assuming it's only just a Steam installer. Good thing my low bandwidth cap is a thing of the past or I'd be mad right now.

Fun factoids: Nika Alborti wrote the Azata path and Aivu. Arseniy Krymov wrote the Swarm path and he mentioned that other devs made him tone down the edgiest scenes he wrote (given how edgy I've seen this game can get, that's saying something). He also wrote the gay romance with Sosiel and said it was like a "healing vacation" after writing the Swarm. Alexander Mishulin came up with Regill's concept, many other devs balked because they thought it was absurd to write what they considered to be a comic relief character so seriously, and Nika was in charge of the execution. Nika also wrote Daeran.

For what it's worth, the ESRB rating is M for blood and gore, language, and violence. Bit surprised sexual themes didn't make the cut.

smaug

Secular Koranism with Israeli Characteristics
Patron
Dumbfuck
Insert Title Here
I wonder what a disciple of Sawyerity thinks about this pun pun game.
He thought pathfinder kingmaker was okay, he thinks DnD games should follow RAW stats from PnP and such, so he will play on easy I believe, Roguey ?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I wonder what a disciple of Sawyerity thinks about this pun pun game.
I renounced Sawyer in 2017. The title just a holdover.
He thought pathfinder kingmaker was okay, he thinks DnD games should follow RAW stats from PnP and such, so he will play on easy I believe, Roguey ?
I played Kingmaker on custom settings and I plan to do the same with Wrath.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom