Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
That's... really desperate.
I really wanted to like Ember, I really did. But her spell selection... ugh... apart from farting and sending some shinnies at the enemies, there's almost nothing there...

So I benched her. Nenio does the arcane duty, while Cam gives enemies the Evil Eye. At least she can offtank and be a mild DD/backline protector too.

Just respec companions like I'm planning to do once I play this thing. That has the primary benefit of you getting to toy around with 6 crafty builds instead of just 1
respecting can fuck up your game

Well yeah, after the respec Nenio's level ups are weird. Like the game calculates her current levels PLUS the levels she used to have as a Scroll Savant. So you get to pick way more skill ranks, sometimes more feats.
But after you finish the level up it seems to work okay so far, with the excess levels/skill points/feats truncated.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I really wanted to like Ember, I really did. But her spell selection... ugh... apart from farting and sending some shinnies at the enemies, there's almost nothing there...

So I benched her. Nenio does the arcane duty, while Cam gives enemies the Evil Eye. At least she can offtank and be a mild DD/backline protector too.

Just respec companions like I'm planning to do once I play this thing. That has the primary benefit of you getting to toy around with 6 crafty builds instead of just 1
Respecing companions is bad for immersion and lore friendlyness. With some exceptions of course (I am sure wendy would assume any training regimen offered by the commander if it showed results). Respecing Ember kinda goes against her "godless prophet" status.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik
Respec is certainly a risky business, at least on 1.09.
If you respec slayer and try to get a combat feat, i mean the slayer/ranger bonus ones, you have to keep picking the ones in the list only via combat feats, if you pick outside of it even if you meet the requirements it will let you go on but then you won't actually get it.

volklore

Arcane
I mean respecing nenio from an int based full arcane castr to another int based full arcane caster isn't exactly super immersion breaking.

Sharpedge

Prophet
The only companion I have really been tempted to respec is Daerun and the only thing I want to change is his curse, because its annoying and I feel like the developers were trolling by giving him the most mechanically annoying curse.

Sunri

Liturgist
The only companion I have really been tempted to respec is Daerun and the only thing I want to change is his curse, because its annoying and I feel like the developers were trolling by giving him the most mechanically annoying curse.
Whats the problem with his curse?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Respec makes your decisions worthless. For example, a sorcerer can technically respec and change his spells, getting rid of his class disadvantage. You can respec to have a char optimized to a challenged encounter, some decisions between power early or power later don't matter, it trivializes feat picking. Respec = Decline.

IMO not only we should't have respec but also multiclassing and getting prestige classes should be behind long quest arcs. Eg - A Fighter wanting to get levels in hell knight should visit the hell knight outpost and sign the contract and do the training.

volklore

Arcane
Respec makes your decisions worthless. For example, a sorcerer can technically respec and change his spells, getting rid of his class disadvantage. You can respec to have a char optimized to a challenged encounter, some decisions between power early or power later don't matter, it trivializes feat picking. Respec = Decline.

They are talking about using toybox to change companions base class. And as far as in-game respec, as long as some basic class features/feats are broken, respec needs to be in the game. Otherwise I agree on the principle.

Sharpedge

Prophet
Its not a bad curse (technically it has 1 of the best upsides), but its mechanically annoying to have him staggered at the first round of every fight.

Sunri

Liturgist
Its not a bad curse (technically it has 1 of the best upsides), but its mechanically annoying to have him staggered at the first round of every fight.
Its not like you want move him around often he can heal/attack from distance

volklore

Arcane
He's a spontaneous caster, that means no metamagic for him on first round as metamagic for spontaneous casters push them to full round actions.

ga♥

Arcane
Vatnik

IMO not only we should't have respec but also multiclassing and getting prestige classes should be behind long quest arcs. Eg - A Fighter wanting to get levels in hell knight should visit the hell knight outpost and sign the contract and do the training.

It's decline but in this kind of games you are 99% going to make bad decisions before hand without knowing what will you expect in a first playthrough.
Like, has anyone found any alchemist specific items?
Honestly I didn't want to respec but I gave in when I realized I didn't pick the only worth feature of my mythic paths (perception 2 as trickster+feat), they should have put the list of feats in the mythic panel but they didn't so how the hell does someone know?

Sharpedge

Prophet
I like my full actions.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah, from the distance OF THE BENCH IN THE CAMP WHERE I LEAVE HIM TO BRING WITH ME MY BRO SOSIEL
Can't Daeran be made a competent necromancer? With Bones as the second mystery?

However, Marching Terror on Sosiel should be sweet. Haven't hired him yet (I'm still in process of the 2nd try of Kenabres).

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah, from the distance OF THE BENCH IN THE CAMP WHERE I LEAVE HIM TO BRING WITH ME MY BRO SOSIEL

However, Marching Terror on Sosiel should be sweet. Haven't hired him yet (I'm still in process of the 2nd try of Kenabres).
I'm sure Daeran can be made many competent things, but I like clerics so much more than oracles that I can't bring myself to drop my artsy gay feat-wasting black cleric. Impossible Domain is insane, and with Frightful Aspect and a glaive he also deals respectable chip damage while safely standing behind the frontline. I'll definitely try Daeran in my next playthrough to see his interactions, but I already know that I'll regret it more than once.

Sharpedge

Prophet

I'm sure Daeran can be made many competent things, but I like clerics so much more than oracles that I can't bring myself to drop my artsy gay feat-wasting black cleric. Impossible Domain is insane, and with Frightful Aspect and a glaive he also deals respectable chip damage while safely standing behind the frontline. I'll definitely try Daeran in my next playthrough to see his interactions, but I already know that I'll regret it more than once.
Mechanically Sosiel definitely contributes more, but every time I stick him in my party I develop a strange urge to drown a cat in a well. I would rather build a cleric as a MC then take him along with me.

Sunri

Liturgist

Mechanically Sosiel definitely contributes more, but every time I stick him in my party I develop a strange urge to drown a cat in a well. I would rather build a cleric as a MC then take him along with me.

that's racist!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Respecing companions is bad for immersion and lore friendlyness. With some exceptions of course (I am sure wendy would assume any training regimen offered by the commander if it showed results). Respecing Ember kinda goes against her "godless prophet" status.

I love this argument. You can multi a fragile caster companion to a raging testosterone-monster if you want to, but it's mah immersion if you respec.

To paraphrase a great codexer: "There's only the computer and me, and neither of us cares"

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
I neve knew you are into black males.

This is a live action documentary video that shows life of Sosiel. (Along with other high CHA characters.)

Ghulgothas

Arcane
The only companion who needs to be saved with a full re-spec is Staunton. He's a disaster-in-motion.

Especially so he'll actually use a weapon befitting a dwarf. Glaives are for fags like Sosiel and Baphomet.

Sharpedge

Prophet

that's racist!
it has nothing to do with his race and everything to do with his temperament. I have met enough people with a similar attitude to him IRL and suffered in their presence to want to have to put up with the gay artsy stuff in a game.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
A staggered creature may take a single move action or standard action each round (but not both, nor can he take full-round actions). A staggered creature can still take free, swift, and immediate actions.
From here: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#Staggered
He still can cast in the first round. So if he is not a frontline fighter he should be OK. And, to be honest, I do not see Daeran as a frontline alpha strike fighter; as a reach fighter from the second row - may be.

volklore

Arcane
So did shamans get the cut by owlcat implementations ? They are supposed to be able to cast their spirit spells spontaneously, which I assumed would be implemented like they did for ecclesitheurge i.e they would just instead be able to slot their spirit spells in non spirit slots. But right now, it seems shaman spirits function like domains for regular clerics so it completely sucks. I guess that's goodbye to my frost spirit shaman winter witch :(.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom