Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-DLC Thread [GO TO NEW THREAD]

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
They are supposed to be able to cast their spirit spells spontaneously, which I assumed would be implemented like they did for ecclesitheurge i.e they would just instead be able to slot their spirit spells in non spirit slots

No, they are supposed to cast Spirit/Wandering Spirit spells spontaneously from the separate list of the available "spirit" spells. But it is never more than 1 slot per day on each spell level.

havox

Novice
Act 4 and thinking about throwing in the towel. I can deal with 5 minute time to tranny, the bugs, the crusade management, the rotating bridges, but the combat is just too shit. 90% of it is RTS, I select all my green units, right-click on the red units and they explode. The other 10% is dealing with owlkeks balanced NPCs, 20 class1/5 class2/15 outsider, 150-200 stat pool, +20 natural AC from invisible undispellable unnamed buff, 50 all saving throws, 35 spell resistance, 10/good, 10/magic, 10/adamantium, immune to fire, electric, fear, poison, prone, stat damage, magic missile, magic missile, your mom.
Sadist cavedweller incubus got stuck mid-displacement, Blackwater immortals could be lured to a ladder and ranged down from a safe corner while they stare at you, Playful Darkness decided to start running into a wall instead of fighting but now I'm in hidden abode and there's like 10 of those 60-70AC raidbosses at custom difficulty - enemy adjustment none, it's just obnoxious.
Part of it is my own fault of course, instead of playing Chad Lich sorcerer and exploding everything with OP spells I'm running with a Virgin Azata CHA tank but it still feels bad. Run into combat, check what buffs I need, load game, pre-buff, pre-summon, and then the clown fiesta is on, will I run out of summons that get shredded by seven +50 attacks per round cheeseshredder each NPC has, or roll my Nat20s enough to get through their raidboss health. Even when I win it feels bad.
Now that I think about it, not sure why I expected something good out of slavjank. What am I doing with my life. I could be replaying Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 for the twelfth time instead.

Ramnozack

Cipher
Patron
A staggered creature may take a single move action or standard action each round (but not both, nor can he take full-round actions). A staggered creature can still take free, swift, and immediate actions.
From here: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/conditions#Staggered
He still can cast in the first round. So if he is not a frontline fighter he should be OK. And, to be honest, I do not see Daeran as a frontline alpha strike fighter; as a reach fighter from the second row - may be.
Freedom of Movement negates that staggered disadvantage. You can get permanent freedom of movement boots as soon as CH3 starts. Daeran can actually be quite a good melee fighter if you get him nature second mystery and a horse.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
I love this argument. You can multi a fragile caster companion to a raging testosterone-monster if you want to, but it's mah immersion if you respec.
You shouldn't turn ember into a testosterone monster either.

Obviously if you don't give a shit then you don't give a shit, but at that point, why not just roll a full party of mercs?

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Act 4 and thinking about throwing in the towel. I can deal with 5 minute time to tranny, the bugs, the crusade management, the rotating bridges, but the combat is just too shit. 90% of it is RTS, I select all my green units, right-click on the red units and they explode. The other 10% is dealing with owlkeks balanced NPCs, 20 class1/5 class2/15 outsider, 150-200 stat pool, +20 natural AC from invisible undispellable unnamed buff, 50 all saving throws, 35 spell resistance, 10/good, 10/magic, 10/adamantium, immune to fire, electric, fear, poison, prone, stat damage, magic missile, magic missile, your mom.
Sadist cavedweller incubus got stuck mid-displacement, Blackwater immortals could be lured to a ladder and ranged down from a safe corner while they stare at you, Playful Darkness decided to start running into a wall instead of fighting but now I'm in hidden abode and there's like 10 of those 60-70AC raidbosses at custom difficulty - enemy adjustment none, it's just obnoxious.
Part of it is my own fault of course, instead of playing Chad Lich sorcerer and exploding everything with OP spells I'm running with a Virgin Azata CHA tank but it still feels bad. Run into combat, check what buffs I need, load game, pre-buff, pre-summon, and then the clown fiesta is on, will I run out of summons that get shredded by seven +50 attacks per round cheeseshredder each NPC has, or roll my Nat20s enough to get through their raidboss health. Even when I win it feels bad.
Now that I think about it, not sure why I expected something good out of slavjank. What am I doing with my life. I could be replaying Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 for the twelfth time instead.

Thanks for registering to share your completely legitimate and not at all fishy opinion, really-real-new-poster! Enjoy your time on the Codex before your inevitable self ejection. Whatever floats your boat!

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I love this argument. You can multi a fragile caster companion to a raging testosterone-monster if you want to, but it's mah immersion if you respec.

Obviously if you don't give a shit then you don't give a shit, but at that point, why not just roll a full party of mercs?
90% of what classes do have nothing to do with characters' backstories. A Sorcerer Ember would be basically indistinguishable from the one we got.

Spoilers, obviously.

Areelu Vorlesh is a arcane scientist in Sarkoris, a nation that bans arcane magic. To hide from the inquisition she constructs a hidden laboratory buried below an abandoned shack in the wildlands. As she continues her research she also educates her son/daughter into the art of magic. She believes that the thing she cares about thr most is science and her art and finds the same pursuit of truth inculcated in her child.

However, one day her hiding spot is discovered by the inquisition who murder her son. Instead of fighting, she surrenders, because for the first time in her life she feels that her love of her son is greater to her than her passion for truth, making her helpless.

In the wizard prison called Threshold she continues her research in secret, attempting to resurrect her son, but that avenue she discovers is closed due to Pharasma, the godess of death having already sent her son's soul to Abyss. To rescue him she makes a pact with Deskari and Baphomet; she will open the worldwound in return for their patronage. At the same time she invents a process to create mythic creatures with nayhandrian crystals that are formed from the blood of dead demon lords. Her secret plan is to find her son's soul in the abyss and remake it into the player character. In the process she comes in contact with Nocticula from whom she learns the power of weapons called midnight bolts and discovers that she can create Nayhandrian crystals from fresh blood of demon lords who are actually the incarnation of their abyssal realm. These fresh crystals are particularly potent and can endow the bearer with divinity. She turns her own soul into that of a half demon using nayhandrian crystals, becoming immortal, but as you know, her goal is to escape death completely so she can never be separatedfrom her son. To that end she binds her soul to the worldwound created by her by fusing abyss and material plane through a process that starts to slowly kill her. Then she finds and binds her son's soul there as well, expanding the worldwound. This creates the PC who has her son's soul. Then she guides the PC to complete her plan of obtaining fresh crystals with least possible interference which involves intentionally making him encounter his past life and awaken his memories.

Nocticula is tricked by her into helping her close the worldwound but she does not realize that Areelu plans to use her Midnight bolts to create fresh crystals to ascend to divinity.

Finally, the PC can then figure what is really going on by investigating and putting together a lot of scattered clues, which to the game's credit are never dumped as an exposition.

If you recover the past and correctly guess how to use Areelu's research then you can ascend to Godhood either alone or with your party and areelu, fulfilling Areelu's promise to defeat death itself.
Thank you anon! You are a good anon! I do love mommykino story anon! I do! You are a good anon!

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Because I like the dialogue, quests and stuff like that (or at least, would like it to be part of the game)? Who cares if Valerie is some weird monk build instead of a paladin in terms of the game mechanics, the dialogue doesn't change. I sure as shit don't give a fuck

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker

90% of what classes do have nothing to do with characters' backstories. A Sorcerer Ember would be basically indistinguishable from the one we got.
?? Ember's entire backstory is that she is ?brain damaged? into being incapable of negative feelings towards anyone and this got her blessed by one of the gods for being a pure soul. If you respec her as a sorc she won't even have her crow, which would also make her delusional as she'll keep interacting with it.

Because I like the dialogue, quests and stuff like that (or at least, would like it to be part of the game)? Who cares if Valerie is some weird monk build instead of a paladin in terms of the game mechanics, the dialogue doesn't change. I sure as shit don't give a fuck
I mean her backstory is that she is a disgraced paladin which doesn't really make sense for monk. I prefer it when the gameplay and the story can agree on basic facts, but if you don't mind such inconsistencies then indeed, as a wise codexer said: "There is only you and your computer, and neither cares"

Shaki

Arbiter

Cool, Rusty, but why won't you post it from your main account?

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
So, would Nicolas of the Cage be more the "demonic fury" kind of guy...
mandy-chainsaw.gif

or more a goody Paladin type...

nicholas-cage.gif

or is he even a TRICKSTER?

img_3989.gif

volklore

Arcane
I mean her backstory is that she is a disgraced paladin which doesn't really make sense for monk. I prefer it when the gameplay and the story can agree on basic facts, but if you don't mind such inconsistencies then indeed, as a wise codexer said: "There is only you and your computer, and neither cares"
Actually Valerie is a completely blank slate, she just fell off the shelyn train and became a mercenary. She could be anything really, there isn't really any restriction. One of the more flexible companion backstory wise. Lann is the same, there is nothing in his backstories that says he has to be a zen archer. Compared that to seelah for whom the whole backstory is about how she became a paladin coming from the street and struggles with being lawful and serious. Some classes like arue's espionnage expert are just nods to the fact she works for the other side now but not really related to was she used to do before.

Last edited:

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Actually Valerie is a completely blank slate, she just fell off the shelyn train and became a mercenary. She could be anything really.
I know that it is open for interpretation, but one phrase from Valerie makes me hesitant to make her a "pajama tank". When she explains why it was easy for her to leave the Aldori she says that she does not get their fighting style. She used to block enemy blows with her shield while Aldori school is about weaving and dodging. So for Valerie to learn crane style Wushu would have required some serious persuasion from the Baron. And there were no crane style horses in Kingmaker.

Of course, when the Commander of the crusade can teach a horse how to use crane style - then Valerie would not be a problem.

Last edited:

volklore

Arcane
Seems like completely normal spell is fixed on the beta patch. They also properly deactivated respec on hard and unfair it seems. Idk how well that will play out if a lot of things are still broken.

Agonizing over build choices right now regarding mythic path. Trickster is interesting but as all of the other mythic path, designing a build with M4 and maybe M5 in mind max is frustrating. Especially when Perception 2 is a bit stronger for almost every build than anything else. And you get the second rank 2 trick at M6 only so it's completely whatever. And again some fun mythic tricks have terrible DC formulas (like that persuasion 2 which I admit would be hard to balance, so instead they made it useless).

Last edited:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
Actually Valerie is a completely blank slate, she just fell off the shelyn train and became a mercenary. She could be anything really.
I know that it is open for interpretation, but one phrase from Valerie makes me hesitant to make her a "pajama tank". When she explains why it was easy for her to leave the Aldori she says that she does not get their fighting style. She used to block enemy blows with her shield while Aldori school is about weaving and dodging. So for Valerie to learn crane style Wushu would have required some serious persuasion from the Baron. And there were no crane style horses in Kingmaker.

Of course, when the Commander of the crusade can teach a horse how to use crane style - then Valerie would not be a problem.

In reality you shouldn't even be able to use crane wing with both hands full. However owlcats not only permit pajama tanking, but they are actually deliberately by design making it be much better than it should be.

LannTheStupid

Товарищ
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
They also properly deactivated respec on hard and unfair it seems.
It is deactivated on Hard, just weirdly. It allows to do everything when recpeccing someone, and then the last button - "Complete" or something - is disabled. And the only way out is to close the whole interface.

I would have left it as it is. Unfair should NOT be fair, after all.

volklore

Arcane

In reality you shouldn't even be able to use crane wing with both hands full. However owlcats not only permit pajama tanking, but they are actually deliberately by design making it be much better than it should be.

You can use crane style with a shield, it's not limited to both hands free. Crane wing should be though, but it doesn't actually support pajama tanks. Monk dipped Pajama tanks did not need crane wing in kingmaker and they do not need it in wrath either (Monk AC bonus is properly disabled when using a shield). If anything, the crane wing bug/implementation favors armored characters more because they need it more so removing it, would support unarmored even more.

Last edited:

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Actually Valerie is a completely blank slate, she just fell off the shelyn train and became a mercenary. She could be anything really, there isn't really any restriction. One of the more flexible companion backstory wise. Lann is the same, there is nothing in his backstories that says he has to be a zen archer. Compared that to seelah for whom the whole backstory is about how she became a paladin coming from the street and struggles with being lawful and serious. Some classes like arue's espionnage expert are just nods to the fact she works for the other side now but not really related to was she used to do before.

Lann is a zen archer because if you take Wenduag and come back to Neatholm he's teaching the corrupted mongrels to control themselves through meditation.

Wenduag romance off to a good start:
mlTQJfi.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom