Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Familiarize yourself with old 90s FF, 5 through to 9 in particular, they're wonderful games. Not this new garbage.

Agreed with almost your entire post except for this. Should be 4 through 8. :P
Fuck 9 and everything that came after.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I know it's an unpopular position. I basically hated every character in 9, didn't like the story, etc. 4, 6, 7, and 8 had fairly dark, edgy stories (I haven't played enough of 5 to know either way), while 9 was far more light hearted which didn't appeal to me. There were a few moments like things related to Vivi, but overall the tone of the game was far different.

Actually, Final Fantasy 9 was the beginning of my growing dislike of JRPGs in general (too cinematic, too storyfag, too juvenile, etc.). The flaws were present and irritated me in 7 and 8 as well, but 9 was where it started to really bug me.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
too juvenile

Strange complaint about FF9. Light hearted stories can be more mature than darker ones, particularily edgy storytelling is most of the time just juvenile. FF9 is more mature than both FF7 and FF8 which are chock full of teen angst, while FF9 at its best can capture a timeless Grimms Fairytale charm.
Warm colours are for children and cool colours are for adults is a very simple mindset.

mediocrepoet

Patron
too juvenile

Strange complaint about FF9. Light hearted stories can be more mature than darker ones, particularily edgy storytelling is most of the time just juvenile. FF9 is more mature than both FF7 and FF8 which are chock full of teen angst, while FF9 at its best can capture a timeless Grimms Fairytale charm.
Warm colours are for children and cool colours are for adults is a very simple mindset.

You certainly showed me. Now I love the game I've always hated for a variety of reasons.

flyingjohn

Arcane
I love how ff7/8 edginess is just some stupid teen bullshit with memory shenanigans while 9 literally deals with death/meaningless existance while being the lighthearted game.

If it had a batter card game it would be my favorite ff game.

mediocrepoet

Patron
I love how ff7/8 edginess is just some stupid teen bullshit with memory shenanigans while 9 literally deals with death/meaningless existance while being the lighthearted game.

If it had a batter card game it would be my favorite ff game.

I seriously wonder if FF9 had had a better card game / minigames and if it had had a different art style if I'd have liked it more.

Duraframe300

Arcane
too juvenile

Pretty much. The contrast between Art Style and tone is actually one of my favourite things about 9. (Which is my favourite FF to begin with)
Wouldn't have it any other way despite others being alienated by it.

Ito has just such an amazing ps1 resume. Triple Triad, FF: Tactics Gameplay/Battle System and Director of FFIX.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Anyway my point is, "have you never played a FF before" is wrong to say in this context, because these new games aren't really Final Fantasy at all. they're so different and so declined. The moment Squaresoft ceased to exist, when Sakaguchi (FF's creator) left the company, and the corporate entity Square Enix rose, is when many great series died or were set to die, from Tomb Raider to FF to Thief. Thief 4 clearly isn't a Thief game. Tomb Raider 2013 has little in common with TR as Core Design envisioned it. They just take the names and thematic premise and reboot them into complete garbage for mass consumption suitable for mediocre minds.

You can't force your interpretation of reality on other people.

Yosharian

Arcane
Anyway my point is, "have you never played a FF before" is wrong to say in this context, because these new games aren't really Final Fantasy at all. they're so different and so declined. The moment Squaresoft ceased to exist, when Sakaguchi (FF's creator) left the company, and the corporate entity Square Enix rose, is when many great series died or were set to die, from Tomb Raider to FF to Thief. Thief 4 clearly isn't a Thief game. Tomb Raider 2013 has little in common with TR as Core Design envisioned it. They just take the names and thematic premise and reboot them into complete garbage for mass consumption suitable for mediocre minds.

Ok but he is right tho

Falksi

Arcane
I know it's an unpopular position. I basically hated every character in 9, didn't like the story, etc. 4, 6, 7, and 8 had fairly dark, edgy stories (I haven't played enough of 5 to know either way), while 9 was far more light hearted which didn't appeal to me. There were a few moments like things related to Vivi, but overall the tone of the game was far different.

Actually, Final Fantasy 9 was the beginning of my growing dislike of JRPGs in general (too cinematic, too storyfag, too juvenile, etc.). The flaws were present and irritated me in 7 and 8 as well, but 9 was where it started to really bug me.

I wasn't keen on 9 for similar reasons, but I still agree with Ash's point.

Although personally I loved 10 despite the leanings towards decline, and thought 12 was a great classic FF game fighting to get out from the decline which had now taken a hold of it. For me it wasn't until X-2 and 13 dropped that full wankness hit.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
9 is one of only two classic ff games that I can't bring myself to beat. I always get bored and quit near the end. I'd say 7 has the better story/characters and X has better gameplay

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I think XII is the end, not of the actual quality of the game (which is a mile above anything that came after), but because of the pendulum trend it started and that FF is still stuck in.

FFX was criticised as too linear. FFXII has fucking MMO level design.
FFXII was criticised as too aimless in structure and storytelling. FFXIII is a halway simulator with pretty graphics.
FFXIII was criticised for being a halway simulator. FFXV is a Ubisoft-esque open world game.

FFXII has started the calamous trend that almost led to Square Enix second ruin, by commiting the largest mistake a game developer can do: Listening to fan feedback.
:hearnoevil:

Ash

Arcane
ff9 is the best final fantasy and you can't change my mind

I can try:

-Slow-ass battle system
-card game is MASSIVE decline over triple triad
-Slightly watered down RPG systems compared to 7 & 8 (though they're OK)
-Too many brats (Eiko, Vivi, Dagger, Quina). It's no wonder people give up before the game gets really cool & dark (Terra)
-"!" indication when exploring the environment dumbs down exploration/secret hunting...slightly. It's well implemented and the environments oftentimes do demand it. 8 & 7 instead opted to have fewer secrets in the environment instead of the tradition largely set by 5 & 6, so I prefer this to the 7 solution of less secrets and make most treasure stand out as shiny chests or floating materia.
-Choco hot & cold. It's overall pretty fun when you factor in hunting treasure in the world map, but the mini-game itself is bit too simple & repetitive. They could have done more.
-Not only is Eiko the biggest brat in the cast, but she is also the better white mage, unbalanced and incentivizes you to use her over dagger.
-Puts annoying moogles in the spotlight for even more brats. It does suit the setting but I prefer them as brief....cameos like they had been in all prior FF.
-Lack of late game content: choco hot & cold, mognet central....and not a lot else. Not even a single optional dungeon. Forbidden continent & lost continent severely lacking content
-Frog catching mini-game
-Necron. I actually consider him a positive since he adds to the existential crisis theme of the game, music is badass, and Kuja always was a cuck, but some people really hate this.
-On that note, Kuja. The psychotic trans antagonist.
-Freya, Quina, Stiener and Amarant get their scenes and then get very little development after. Vivi, Dagger, Eiko and Zidane hog most of the later character development and story.
-Perhaps one too many returns to Alexandria/Lindblum/Treno

To me, FF7 is the best (though FF7 hardtype mod does influence that decision), but 9 is still an awesome game, and I consider it the last worthy and true FF entry before the quality matter of factly (Roguey!) declined. Though X, X-2 & XII are still fun and interesting, the devs were still actually trying/hadn't been completely overrun by shitlords yet. Just half overrun.

If only :negative:

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
I think XII is the end, not of the actual quality of the game (which is a mile above anything that came after), but because of the pendulum trend it started and that FF is still stuck in.

FFX was criticised as too linear. FFXII has fucking MMO level design.
FFXII was criticised as too aimless in structure and storytelling. FFXIII is a halway simulator with pretty graphics.
FFXIII was criticised for being a halway simulator. FFXV is a Ubisoft-esque open world game.

FFXII has started the calamous trend that almost led to Square Enix second ruin, by commiting the largest mistake a game developer can do: Listening to fan feedback.
:hearnoevil:

Well, technically Zodiac Job System was an improvement over FF12 OG. So, that part was good.

FF13 (though I actually like that trilogy in a weird way) + FF15 + FF7Remake had, aside from fan feedback, had more to do with the FF8/X/Kindom Hearts crew lead by Kitase coming fully into power at Square Enix. And you didn't have a Sakaguchi to reel them in and creatively lead that whole boat.

That also resulted in people like Ito (who was Sakaguchi's favourite designer) and Matsuno (who was recruited by Sakaguchi personally because he was a fan of Ogre Battle) and plenty others getting frozen out. (Though a lot survived and have a renaissance now in several different departments.)

Ash

Arcane
9 is one of only two classic ff games that I can't bring myself to beat. I always get bored and quit near the end. I'd say 7 has the better story/characters and X has better gameplay

10? Better gameplay?

-Removed world map
-The most fucktarded anti-player torturous lazy compilation of mini-games in the entire series. Except Blitzball.
-Late game content is ULTRA grindy. e.g Catch ten of all the monsters.
-Sphere grid is pretty cool but it doesn't beat the build freedom, customisation depth and strategy potential offered by the materia system.

But I will say that otherwise the gameplay is certainly not bad and the battle system probably the best in the original series.
Overall the game is the start of the decline though.

Hey you, what do you disagree with regarding FF9? Any of my criticism in particular or just the statement that 7 is better?

Last edited:

Duraframe300

Arcane
[

Hey you, what do you disagree with regarding FF9? Any of my criticism in particular or just the statement that 7 is better?

Most of the criticisms and yeah, FF7 being better (not the biggest fan, but I have defended the game before when FF7remake was apparently the best thing ever and the original now shit). Nothing that gets me bent out of shape over or needs arguing though, so don't take the disagree to heart.

Viata

Arcane
Blitzball is the greatest bait-and-switch of mini games. FFX intro has Blitzball as a fast as fuck game and then you play that shit and even FFIX batte loading was faster than that.

Ash

Arcane
Most of the criticisms and yeah, FF7 being better. Nothing that gets me bent out of shape over or needs arguing though, so don't take the disagree to heart.

I wasn't. I have never considered you a decline-enabling cuck. They're the only ones that get me bent out of shape.

Still wanted to hear your take though. Out of curiosity. Maybe I was looking at something with the wrong perspective.

Viata

Arcane
Blitzball is the greatest bait-and-switch of mini games. FFX intro has Blitzball as a fast as fuck game and then you play that shit and even FFIX batte loading was faster than that.

Blitzball makes me dream of an alternate reality where the EA sports titles were released as turn based RPGs. So good...
There is a great Captain Tsubasa game for gba that is pretty much a card game:

Probably the closest you will get for a turn based game.

Duraframe300

Arcane
People may complain about Blitzball's gameplay, but that style of play has been popularized in japan since the NES (If not before). And after FFX as well (Inazuma Eleven).

I mean we didn't get many of those games in the west, which is why it was unfamiliar, but Square went the safe route there.

(Also if I have one main complaint about it, it's that its suuuuuuuper easy if you know what you're doing. Haven't lost a single game in all my playthroughs, and after the initial tournament you're basically in god mode)

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
People may complain about Blitzball's gameplay, but that style of play has been popularized in japan since the NES (If not before). And after FFX as well (Inazuma Eleven).

I mean we didn't get many of those games in the west, which is why it was unfamiliar, but Square went the safe route there.

(Also if I have one main complaint about it, it's that its suuuuuuuper easy if you know what you're doing. Haven't lost a single game in all my playthroughs, and after the initial tournament you're basically in god mode)

If you want a challenge do not get Jecht shot from the boat. It is what trivialises the minigame, and puts you ahead way of the powercurve. Without Jecht shot you get a more satisfying progression from a truly shit team to a top tier player, and you can not start immediatly stomping top tier teams.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom