Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Squeenix Final Fantasy VII Remake Integrade - now on Steam

Ash

Arcane
Stupid blitzball theme is stuck in my head now. Damn you GhostCow for bringing up FF10 gameplay.

Eh why am I complaining?

Hassar

Scholar
A couple months ago. FF is a highly diverse series of games. This piece of shit is nothing like a 90s FF game. An 80s FF game (e.g the original) just forget it, as it is 100% gameplay, even if it is a mediocre game.

Can't believe you're misunderstanding that my point is that this is how they've been for over a decade. This is from an 00s anime:

Right, and Final Fantasy hasn't been Final Fantasy in over a decade, all the soul, art, cleverness and mostly tasteful (VIII not withstanding) style is gone. Just as Deus Ex hasn't been Deus Ex in over a decade. Doom hasn't been Doom in nearly three. Tomb Raider...Thief...Elder Scrolls...almost every long standing series suffered the great decline in some form, and what became of FF is actually one of the worst examples. The greatest of declines. this stuff is like some teen's retard-tier fanfic on newgrounds by comparison.

Familiarize yourself with old 90s FF, 5 through to 9 in particular, they're wonderful games. Not this new garbage.

Anyway my point is, "have you never played a FF before" is wrong to say in this context, because these new games aren't really Final Fantasy at all. they're so different and so declined. The moment Squaresoft ceased to exist, when Sakaguchi (FF's creator) left the company, and the corporate entity Square Enix rose, is when many great series died or were set to die, from Tomb Raider to FF to Thief. Thief 4 clearly isn't a Thief game. Tomb Raider 2013 has little in common with TR as Core Design envisioned it. They just take the names and thematic premise and reboot them into complete garbage for mass consumption suitable for mediocre minds.

I think where FF went wrong was when designers tried to make them like anime. And not the mature type of anime. They’ve always been melodramatic but at some point, the designers stopped looking to adventure stories and epics for inspiration and went to pop culture references in vogue at the time.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Absolutely. I've said that before; FF got increasingly anime over the years, and not the good kind as you state, originally (starting with FF1) it couldn't be called anime at all, but at some point it crossed a threshold (FF10) that I find hard to stomach. FF7R is the absolute end, cringe anime writing, event planning, voice acting, character designs galore.
However, that is not only where it went wrong. The gameplay has been considerably dumbed down, with the transition to 3D it lost all it's wonderful art appeal (or maybe it's because the original artists left), with Nobou Uematsu the musical GOD being gone it is never going to be the same. Without Sakaguchi to reel in autists like Nomura....basically everything is what is wrong with FF these days. It's not even the same thing at all, and not the same people making it.

Maybe we need to consider the rapture already happened sometime in the 2000s. That's why everything in this life has turned to absolute shit.

Last edited:

Hassar

Scholar
Honestly, it seemed like FF Tactics should have been an actual sequel mai line title. Just seems to “fit” with the series to me.

With regards to FF9, Vivi was my favorite character. I’d write off every other character except Steiner, actually.

I think FF8 is when FF went full on pseudo-anime mode. It’s very much of its era & makes “sense” aesthetically when looking at the pop anime of the time. Amazing soundtrack, though.

Not really knocking people who like that style, though. I just realize that FF8 came out right as I matured and discovered the different types of anime, manga, cinema, and literature in general available to a Japanese audience because I studied the language and history in college. So my ideal window for JRPGs was right as FFVI and FFT came out.

Last edited:

Ash

Arcane
Honestly, it seemed like FF Tactics should have been the actual sequel.

With regards to FF9, Vivi was my favorite character. I’d write off every other character except Steiner, actually.

I think FF8 is when FF went full on pseudo-anime mode. It’s very much of its era & makes “sense” aesthetically when looking at the pop anime of the time. Amazing soundtrack, though.

Eh I relate to Zidane, as a horny vagabond who still to date struggles to find meaning in life. The game is wrong though. Friends and love certainly isn't it. I've had those. Fairytale bullshit.

:dealwithit:

I like all FF9 characters, even Eiko, even Quina. they're fun, have relatable aspects (except Quina), have more depth and better writing than the average FF character. Visually most are really off-putting, but I look past that somehow.

Luka-boy

Arcane
Luv Blitzball.
Luv Jecht Shot 2.
Luv Nimrook.
Luv Lulu's cleavage.
Luv Final Fantasy IX.

Simple as.

Ash

Arcane
Why are people so hard over VII? I also felt FFT was a great game. Overall though, to me the best FF is still FFVI / FFIII. By and large the best one in my mind.

Music - god tier as with any classic FF?
Gameplay - more customization/build diversity than in any FF? Materia combinations provide so much choice.
Setting - Sci-Fi cyberpunk mixed with traditional fantasy?
Themes - relevant stuff with destroying the planet, bioengineering and evil corps.? Not so relevant yet cool fantastical stuff blended in with that.
Characters - mostly likable and fun, as with most FF?
Graphics/Art - quite the technological and level of detail leap from FF6?

It shouldn't be hard to understand, especially if you like another game in the series.

Also why one or the other? 6 is a classic too.

Install the hardtype mod and give FF7 another try nigga, or do you not like fun?

Last edited:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Familiarize yourself with old 90s FF, 5 through to 9 in particular, they're wonderful games. Not this new garbage.

Agreed with almost your entire post except for this. Should be 4 through 8. :P
Should be IV, VI, and IX. The original Final Fantasy should also be played as a competent D&D-clone.

I know it's an unpopular position. I basically hated every character in 9, didn't like the story, etc. 4, 6, 7, and 8 had fairly dark, edgy stories (I haven't played enough of 5 to know either way), while 9 was far more light hearted which didn't appeal to me. There were a few moments like things related to Vivi, but overall the tone of the game was far different.

Actually, Final Fantasy 9 was the beginning of my growing dislike of JRPGs in general (too cinematic, too storyfag, too juvenile, etc.). The flaws were present and irritated me in 7 and 8 as well, but 9 was where it started to really bug me.
An odd position considering that Final Fantasy IX's plot is quite dark, pays homage to the earlier games in the series (before VII), and is inspired heavily by FF IV specifically. The first half of the game sees the Kingdom of Alexandria attempt to conquer the rest of the world, with the subjugation of Lindbulm, devastation of Burmecia, and outright destruction of Cleyra; and the second half begins with Alexandria itself being destroyed. Not to mention the short life-span of the artificially-created black mages introduced before the end of the first half, followed in the second half by the revelation that Zidane's and Kuja's people are similarly artificial creations intended to serve as physical hosts for the resurrection of the people of Terra, which itself is then completely destroyed.

2rcwii.jpg

nlhh3r.jpg

Ash

Arcane
4 is a terrible game, stop this nonsense right now. You guys need to actually play it again. It is extremely barebones gameplay-wise. Dumbed down over FF2, let alone 3.

Gameplay - more customization/build diversity than in any FF?
What is 3 and 5?

3 and 5 force you to be a particular class. Then you get to pick ONE ability from a previous class to add-on to that. Super lame. I fucking love 5 but you don't exactly get to build highly diverse characters like 7. Each an every ability is determined by the player at any given time, right down to individual magic spells or command abilities. In fact, the only other FF that meets 7's # of choices and customisation depth is FF8. Magic Junctions, ability junctions, support junctions, GF junctions -- highly flexible character building. Many choices. Too bad it is all ruined by the retarded Limit break spam mechanic.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
FFV has many cool ways to build your characters, despite seeming basic.

I took down the final boss without ever getting hit, which was really funny, now that I think about it.

Edit: And yes, IV is really overrrated. Like a lot. IV, VIII, XIII and XV are in my bottom 4 of the numbered series.

Ash

Arcane
Edit: And yes, IV is really overrrated. Like a lot. IV, VIII, XIII and XV are in my bottom 4 of the numbered series.

People that claim FF4 is good either played it as a kid and never touched it again, or are dumb storyfags. The gameplay is so banal and that is a problem when gameplay makes up the majority of the experience/playtime.

Edit: if you disagree, please make a case for the gameplay instead of spamming awesome buttons. I want to hear it. Every time I say this people get butthurt yet nobody actually challenges the notion that the gameplay is shit, way too barebones and dumbed down over the already pretty simple prior games. At least Chrono trigger fans try, and ultimately expose themselves as lame storyfaggots when I shit on that game for the same reason.

Last edited:

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It's not just gameplay. They also overdo the "this party member is dead", speed forward and they are alive trope too much.

All games before it are better. Most games after are better.

The series is decline after XII.

Edit: Matsuno tried to make XII as little anime tropey as possible, but Square leadership basically trampled over his vision.

Ash

Arcane
FFV has many cool ways to build your characters, despite seeming basic

Yes, there is also 5 or 6 equipment slots, many classes to choose from, as well as permanent stat buffs for freelancer when you master a class (if I recall), beasttrainer is massive incline (learning enemies abilities) if you are that class or took that ability, but it doesn't beat FF7's freedom, number of choices, flexibility. It's more traditional class-based stuff.

Tigranes

Arcane
FF9 is excellent and it is excellent because it understood the legacy of the series best.

A FF game is always a pretty saccharine coming-of-age story at heart, as well as a grab-bag of various fantasy and fairy-tale inspirations into a big mix bowl. FF9 leaned into that really cohesively. It looks beautiful and coheres really well with Uematsu music (though already copypasta by then), and fits in a lot of otherworldly environments like Ipsen's Castle without becoming as messy as FF8. And having relatively lighthearted characters that don't take themselves too seriously (even Steiner) again helped the game handle both more comedic & more serious parts of the fairy tale. Other FFs show what happens when that mix is disjointed and the serious stuff becomes super cringy, etc.

Gameplay formula is just fine in the PS1 era tradition, with enough secrets and late game uniques to keep you going.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Was Final Fantasy created because of their love of Phantasie? I find the combat win animations very peculiar and familiar in some aspects. Maybe the c64 just liked the hopping up & down.

Viata

Arcane
Was Final Fantasy created because of their love of Phantasie?
The wikipedia has a good overview of all we know about FF creation:
Hironobu Sakaguchi had intended to make a role-playing game (RPG) for a long time, but his employer Square refused to give him permission as it expected low sales of such a product.[9] However, when the RPG Dragon Quest was released and proved to be a hit in Japan, the company reconsidered its stance on the genre and approved Sakaguchi's vision of an RPG inspired by Ultima and Wizardry.[9] Only three of his colleagues volunteered to join this project headed by him because he was thought of as a "rough boss" in spite of his unsuccessful creations.[10] Eventually, Final Fantasy was developed by a team of seven core staff members within Square referred to as the "A-Team".[11][12] Sakaguchi convinced fellow game designers Koichi Ishii and Akitoshi Kawazu to join the project. Kawazu was mainly responsible for the battle system and sequences, which he based heavily on the tabletop game Dungeons & Dragons and the RPG Wizardry. For example, enemies' weaknesses to elements such as fire and ice had not been included in Japanese RPGs up until that point. Kawazu had grown fond of such aspects of Western RPGs and decided to incorporate them into Final Fantasy. He also advocated the player's option to freely choose their own party member classes at the beginning of the game as he feels "the fun in an RPG begins when you create a character".[9]

The scenario was written by freelance writer Kenji Terada, based on a story by Sakaguchi.[4][12] Ishii heavily influenced the game's setting with his idea of the crystals.[10] He also suggested illustrator Yoshitaka Amano as character designer, but Sakaguchi declined at first as he had never heard the artist's name before. When Sakaguchi showed Ishii some drawings on magazine clippings and told him that this was the art style he was looking for, Ishii revealed to him that these were actually created by Amano, hence leading to his involvement in the game.[10] The music for Final Fantasy was composed by Nobuo Uematsu and marked his 16th video game music composition.[6] Iranian-American programmer Nasir Gebelli was hired to code the game. He initially tried to understand all aspects of the gameplay but was soon advised by Sakaguchi to just program the design concepts so he did not have to explain everything to Gebelli in detail.[10] Gebelli was also responsible for creating what is considered to be the first RPG minigame, a sliding puzzle, which he added into the game despite it not being part of the original game design.[13] Among the other developers were graphic designer Kazuko Shibuya, programmers Kiyoshi Yoshii and Ken Narita, as well as debugger Hiroyuki Ito.[14][15][16][17][18] When the project started to show promise, designer Hiromichi Tanaka and his "B-Team" joined to aid development.[10][11] The lack of faith in Sakaguchi's team, as well as its unpopularity within the company, motivated the staff members to give their best.
I don't know if DnD, Wizardry and Ultima were the only western inspiration for FF, but they are the only ones mentioned as far as I know.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
I know it's an unpopular position. I basically hated every character in 9, didn't like the story, etc. 4, 6, 7, and 8 had fairly dark, edgy stories (I haven't played enough of 5 to know either way), while 9 was far more light hearted which didn't appeal to me. There were a few moments like things related to Vivi, but overall the tone of the game was far different.

Actually, Final Fantasy 9 was the beginning of my growing dislike of JRPGs in general (too cinematic, too storyfag, too juvenile, etc.). The flaws were present and irritated me in 7 and 8 as well, but 9 was where it started to really bug me.
An odd position considering that Final Fantasy IX's plot is quite dark, pays homage to the earlier games in the series (before VII), and is inspired heavily by FF IV specifically. The first half of the game sees the Kingdom of Alexandria attempt to conquer the rest of the world, with the subjugation of Lindbulm, devastation of Burmecia, and outright destruction of Cleyra; and the second half begins with Alexandria itself being destroyed. Not to mention the short life-span of the artificially-created black mages introduced before the end of the first half, followed in the second half by the revelation that Zidane's and Kuja's people are similarly artificial creations intended to serve as physical hosts for the resurrection of the people of Terra, which itself is then completely destroyed.

Sure, and if I remembered anything at all about almost any of that, I might even agree with you. However, when you hate all the characters, the art style, the game play "feel" (animations, ! popups, etc.) it's hard to get into a game and actually engage with it. I finished the game and about the only thing I remember other than a few scenes are how much I hated the various characters and how I couldn't believe all the people wanking off to how it was a return to form or something.

To put this into perspective, it's been longer since I played and beat FFIV, FFVI, FFVII, and FFVIII. I could tell you more about any of those games than I could about IX because of how shitty I thought it was. It didn't stick in my mind.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom