Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

DOOM Eternal - the sequel to the 2016 reboot - now with The Ancient Gods DLC

Nope. Sometimes they add in a new challenge map, but that happens only rarely (once per six months or so). The touted invasion mode that let you drop into someone else's game to mess with them has been scrapped in favor of a horde mode, which was already being modded in by the fans. For the rest there's fake longevity by putting unlockable skins behind a grind, and you have to complete the grind in a month before the unlock track gets replaced by another one. For example, the new track appeared today and will run until September 2nd. And if you missed them? Well, the first two packs are available for purchase at $8.99 each.

That's a shame, but I guess the answer already lied in how I was the only person posting itt.

Even if modding tools are impractical or out of reach for some reason or another, they could just make a truly solid multiplayer a la Unreal Tournament 2k4. Didn't id Software do Quake 3 Arena itself? I know, not those zoomers present right now, but still. The mechanics in Doom Eternal are already good enough to support such kind of multiplayer. It's not like they don't have a budget since the game got them half a billion dorras.

Caim

Arcane
Nope. Sometimes they add in a new challenge map, but that happens only rarely (once per six months or so). The touted invasion mode that let you drop into someone else's game to mess with them has been scrapped in favor of a horde mode, which was already being modded in by the fans. For the rest there's fake longevity by putting unlockable skins behind a grind, and you have to complete the grind in a month before the unlock track gets replaced by another one. For example, the new track appeared today and will run until September 2nd. And if you missed them? Well, the first two packs are available for purchase at $8.99 each.

That's a shame, but I guess the answer already lied in how I was the only person posting itt.

Even if modding tools are impractical or out of reach for some reason or another, they could just make a truly solid multiplayer a la Unreal Tournament 2k4. Didn't id Software do Quake 3 Arena itself? I know, not those zoomers present right now, but still. The mechanics in Doom Eternal are already good enough to support such kind of multiplayer. It's not like they don't have a budget since the game got them half a billion dorras.
Nah, Deathmatch was excluded from Doom Eternal because according to Pete Hines it wouldn't feel like Doom.

Also, the "deathmatch" in Doom 2016 that few people liked was not made by Id but by Certain Affinity, who have been the go-to team for the multiplayer modes for several Halo and Call of Duty games. While the gameplay was a bit like that of the base game it had an extensive unlock track that was longer than the mode was capable of retaining players.

Caim

Arcane
Well, the first two packs are available for purchase at $8.99 each.
Update: make that THREE now. They come in three different flavors: the Slayer cosmetic packs that have one new model for the Slayer and some vanity stuff that'll only matter if you play online a lot, and the Series cosmetic packs that have 2-3 skins for demons, one for the Slayer, two new weapon skins and more multiplayer vanity stuff. Note that you could unlock this by playing the game during the time the packs were active, where you'd gain XP along a track to unlock you these things. So basically a free season pass. But the season's over and if you want them, better cough up that dough:

Note that the demon models are ONLY in multiplayer, so it's not like you can change the models in single player. And yes, the price difference is significant. Because apparently a model that you see only a handful of times in the single player campaign warrants that much on its own.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
Would be great if they released a proper level editor and tools that allow people to create custom maps and campaigns like for old Doom. There is lots of potential here. But modern gaming industry is being modern gaming industry.

Doom 2016 showed why this will never happen. Level editors don't work on consoles.

Same reason why you can't have proper death match despite the game being basically an arena shooter with monsters instead of players. Adding classic death match would be the easiest thing in the world, the game is basically already there, but they can't do it because, again, wouldn't work on consoles.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Brief on the upcoming 6.66 update coming this fall, Horde Mode, updated Battlemode, two new master levels (World Spear and Mars Core): https://slayersclub.bethesda.net/en/article/4w25n9cYIMSQP3FF4n58cv/doom-eternal-quakecon-2021-news

UPDATE 6.66 BRINGS HORDE MODE, BATTLEMODE UPDATES AND MORE
Get excited – DOOM Eternal’s upcoming Update 6.66 is on the way, with tons of new content and improvements for fans across all platforms to enjoy.

Slayers will put their skills to the test with Horde Mode, a fast-paced gauntlet pitting players against waves of demons as they compete for the best score. As you battle through the demons’ forces, high priority targets will be marked, challenging players to eliminate them expediently for a massive score bonus! As you play and improve your rankings, more content (and challenges) are unlocked, offering a replayable experience and more dead demons than you can shake a Meathook at.

BATTLEMODE is also getting a major overhaul with an improved matchmaking system that takes your win streaks into account, meaning more matches with similar players along with several other enhancements to improve your experience in the arena. Speaking of arenas, Update 6.66 also brings Stronghold, an all-new BATTLEMODE arena for you and your friends to duke it out online!

Of course, we haven’t forgotten about Master Levels. Update 6.66 will include not one, but two new Master Levels for players to test their mettle: World Spear and Mars Core. We’ll have more to share on Update 6.66 in the near future, so be sure to check out the Slayers Club to stay current on the latest DOOM news.

MuckMan

Learned
I just recently started Doom: Eternal, but I have a question, maybe the most relevant question for Doom 2016 and Eternal ever.... Was there a reference or easter egg regarding Repercussions of evil? I have to know!
For Reference:

Caim

Arcane
Indirectly, at most. In 2016 a building is collapsed onto the Slayer, in the multiplayer mode and with a certain skin you can be a zombie, and the ending of The Ancient Gods Part 1 is... well, just play it and you might figure it out.

Caim

Arcane
After an eternity, the DLC's denuvo was defeated.
So what was that about the difficulty?
At release TAG part 1 was a sharp increase in difficulty from the base game, but that was also in part because it has been a while since people last played the game. When TAG part 2 came out the difficulty was nerfed, which people didn't like.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Horde Mode comes next week:

DOOM Eternal’s Update 6.66 arrives 10/26! Our biggest free update yet will include the all-new arcade style Horde Mode, BATTLEMODE 2.0 with a new arena and streak-based rewards, two new Master Levels and more!

At release TAG part 1 was a sharp increase in difficulty from the base game, but that was also in part because it has been a while since people last played the game. When TAG part 2 came out the difficulty was nerfed, which people didn't like.

Wasn't there some mod that restored original TAG 1 difficulty? I dimly recall reading something about it somewhere but cannot find it now. I'm gonna do DLCs for the first time soon, because the faggot game wouldn't even launch when I bought it and DLCs on Steam, so had to refund and wait ages for DLC crack. I really wouldn't mind experiencing TAG 1 as it was first released, damn.

*edit* Found this - "Restores TAG1 spawns to how they were before Update 5.0.". Anyone used it?

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
The update is here.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/782330/view/3034856131529101652

Outside of Horde Mode and two new master levels (and whatever BattleMode updates), some gameplay changes and QoL are there too:

New Slayer Campaign & BATTLEMODE 2.0 Changes

DE-Slayer_Controller_Binds_960x540.jpg

CONTROLLER: WEAPON-SPECIFIC BINDS

• Players can now remap their controller to include specific weapon-specific binds

COMBAT SHOTGUN (FULL AUTO MOD)

• Added ability to switch weapons during wind down animation
  • Adjusted base charge time and wind down time
  • Speed of Quick Recovery upgrade has been increased
  • Removed additional movement speed penalty for firing so there is just slowdown on activation. As a result, the Fast Feet upgrade removes all movement penalty and the string has been updated to reflect that

The Ancient Gods - Part Two Balance Changes

The World Spear

• Updated Fountain encounter by adding a Pain Elemental and improving AI pathing
  • Added some incidental encounters to mountain area
  • Adjusted pacing of initial Blood Maykr encounter

Reclaimed Earth

• Beefed up the first encounter to make it a bit more challenging and added a Mancubus
  • Removed Stone Imps from the first stage of the Escalation Encounter
  • Removed Shield and Riot Soldiers out of the Library arena
  • Added some more challenging AI to combat as you ascend the Library building
  • Added an additional Mancubus to the final arena

Immora

• No changes

Main Menu Music Option for ALL platforms

DE-Music-UI_960x540.jpg

Happy to announce the community requested QOL option to be able to chose which music plays in the main menu!

Main Menu Music options now available via Audio menu:

• DOOM Eternal Menu Music
  • The Ancient Gods Menu Music

Took a tiny look at it. The Doom 2 box art skin's neat. I'm not good enough at Eternal to reliably do nightmare like I did in 2016 arcade mode, especially since your weapons are limited like they are. Mode seems alright but it's not as slick as arcade mode for 2016 since it's limited to 3 maps, so it's a good fuck around feature but it doesn't really become the best way to play the game or anything.

Good shit for a free patch, still disappointed Eternal never got arcade mode.

Damn, getting my ass kicked on second level of first DLC. Mainly because of these stupid spirits. I welcome the increased mob count and higher number of higher tier mob spawns but not enjoying fighting spirits at all. Mostly because they force me to use that crappy plasma gun attachment that I normally would never bother with. Also having to remember to leave enough plasma ammo for when spirit is out kinda sucks, as I normally use Ballista a lot for shooting weak points of enemies. Overall though it's a good time. I just highly doubt I'll ever start having fun fighting spirits.

OctavianRomulus

Learned
Anyone else think the game is straying a bit too much from the original Doom atmosphere? Doom 2016 had some standout levels like Argent Facility that really felt like Doom levels. Dark, non-linear, very industrial and kind of foreboding. Eternal goes too much in the World of Warcraft direction for my taste. I much rather preferred if they went the Dark Souls route.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Both games are pretty much piñata simulators, but at least D44m had a little bit of that old Doom atmosphere.

This time it's basically just the name slapped onto something completely different. In gameplay terms I guess it's more Hellgate London.

And the piñata mechanic is over the top. Shoot monster till it flashes, press E to receive health or C to receive ammo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom