Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Phantasie series

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Ok, so, where is the ROM that i need to play Phantasie 1 on Apple II? Any tips guys? :)

Last edited:

newtmonkey

Arcane
Fluent

I'm using these disks:
https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/images/games/rpg/phantasie_I/
(I renamed them so don't remember whether I am using the two dsk images there, or the images in the v1.11 archive).

Just boot the dungeon disk, select the "Setup for New Game" option, and follow the instructions. It will clear the roster and both wilderness/dungeon maps.

From then on, you run the game with the boot disk, and swap it with dungeon disk when instructed by the game (only when in dungeons).

The Apple II version is a bit slow to play (screen update between each move), but is played 100% with the keyboard and is thus much quicker to control as every command has a hotkey akin to Ultima.

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Thank u kindly newtmonkey ! Can't wait to delve in! :) Got it working and everything is fine. Thanks again, u really made my night here!!!

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Quick question if I may - What's the best Apple II emulator? I'm currently using Apple2Win. Is there anything else recommended instead? Thanks again!

newtmonkey

Arcane
I think AppleWin is generally considered to be the best available. The UI is very simple but there are plenty of options (support for two drives, swapping disks between drives, mockingboard sound card, various TV/monitor filters, etc.).

gothfox

Liturgist
producing something good with the CGA chipset, its just everyone used the 4 color stuff as an excuse to make ugly-ass shit

what do you mean? CGA has 3 (?) fixed palettes and a B&W higher res mode. there's really not much you can do there, I remember EGA graphics looking legit groundbreaking compared to that, what with 16 colors ~at the same time~.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
CGA also had the very underutilized composite output capable of producing more (artifact) colors. Up to ~1000 in the hands of a capable demo coder, in fact.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
For the longest time (and still do at times) would confuse cga, ega, vga etc.

https://kb.iu.edu/d/agpt
And that is outdated considering modern displays which I don't have unless my laptop has one.
ARCHIVED: What are the different types of PC graphics cards and monitors?

Over the years, PCs have used a variety of different monitors and video cards. Graphics cards and monitors are described by the following characteristics:

• Number of pixels: A pixel is a single dot displayed on a screen. Most screen images are made up of hundreds of pixels. Adding more pixels to the image makes the image more detailed. A screen image is usually described with two numbers. The first number is the number of pixels across the top of the screen, and the second is the number of pixels down the side of the screen.

• Number of colors: Graphics cards are limited in the number of colors they can display. The oldest monitors could display only two or four colors. Currently, 256 colors is the minimum for most systems. Numbers of colors above 256 are usually described by how many computer bits are used to store the color in memory. 16 bits can store more than 65,000 colors, while 24 bits can store more than 16 million colors.
Listed below are some of the more common graphics cards and monitor standards for PC computers:

• SVGA (Super VGA): One of the more popular labels placed on video cards and monitors. A SVGA card or monitor is capable of displaying more pixels (dots on the screen) and/or colors than basic VGA. For example, an SVGA graphics card may be able to display 16-bit color with a resolution of 800x600 pixels.

• 3D Acceleration Cards: These cards include specialized hardware that speeds up the process of displaying three-dimensional images on the screen. They are usually designed to work with an SVGA monitor.

• VGA (Video Graphics Adapter): Currently the base standard for PC video cards and monitors. True VGA supports 16 colors at 640x480 pixels or 256 colors at 320x200 pixels.

• XGA: A standard used on some IBM PS/2 models. XGA supports 256 colors at 1024x728 pixels, or 16-bit colors at 640x480 pixels.

• EGA (Enhanced Graphics Adapter): Following CGA, an adapter that could display 16 colors with a screen resolution of 640x350 pixels.

• CGA (Color Graphics Adapter): The first color monitor and graphics cards for PC computers. Capable of producing 16 colors at 160x200 pixels.

• MDA (Monochrome Display Adapter): A monitor or graphics card that can display only one color. No longer in common use but may be found on some older systems. Usually supports only text.

• Hercules Graphics Card: A card that enabled a PC to display graphics on a MDA monitor.
Some of my first typing programs was on an amber MDA monitor. Not sure the brand. Oh the typewriters and electrics used in typing class compare to your manuals. Ah memories.

The Monochrome Experience - CGA, EGA and VGA

Color Generation in IBM CGA, EGA and VGA

What is the difference between VGA, SVGA and UXGA, and does L-com sell cables for each?

Display Resolution
screen_resolutions.gif

Playlist

4K vs. 8K vs. 1080p: TV resolutions explained

SOLVED: Complete List of Screen Resolution Names, Sizes and Aspect Ratios (oct 21, 2021)

Still a bit befuddling at times.

Check out the load times:

Decado

Old time handsome face wrecker
Patron
Codex 2014
I just rebuilt a Tandy 1000HX, which was the computer I had as a kid. I found schematics online for a Tandy 3-in-1 card that adds a compact flash drive adapter, so my old now has a 250mb hard drive in it.

Phantasie I and III are one of the first games I played on it, and I installed them immediately. They are exactly what I remember.

As I recall, I got Phantasie I and III in a combo retail package with Questron II. This like was like 30 years ago, almost.

gothfox

Liturgist
CGA also had the very underutilized composite output capable of producing more (artifact) colors. Up to ~1000 in the hands of a capable demo coder, in fact.

requiring composite-connected NTSC-only monitor would be commercially nonviable for a PC game which is why nobody did it, I guess.

e: kinda funny now that I think about it, I've used a whole lot of different now obsolete computers when I was a kid, including Agat, Elektronika BK, DVK, etc. but I don't recall ever seeing/using an actual RGBI monitor.

Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Hey guys. Is it normal in combat starting out that if I choose an option other than Thrust, it defaults to Thrust and says Thrust anyway? I'm only wielding clubs so maybe I can't Swing or what have u with them? Just curious. Thanks!

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
I'm trying to remember the rules on attack, thrust, lunge. Until you have more attacks per round I believe only THRUST & LUNGE is available:

options:
Key Result
1 Thrust with weapon
2 Attack with weapon
3 Slash with weapon
4 Lunge with weapon
5 Cast combat spell
6 Parry with shield
7 Redo options

ATTACK means taking two normal swings at a nearby monster (Rank 1).

THRUST means taking one hard. solid swing. which is more likely to hit and does 1 to 2 more points of damage than an attack.

SLASH means taking 3 or 4 quick swings. each of which is less likely to hit than an attack and does 1 to 2 points less damage.

LUNGE allows fighters to take one swing at a monster in Rank 2.

CAST prompts you for etc.

nTQVuT1.jpg

The top of the screen lists the party members. how many strikes each character can get into a single attack. each person's magic status. hit- point status. and general health.

The middle section lists the monsters and how many are in each rank or row. Rank 1 is the row closest to the party members. and most attacks will only be on these monsters.

Someone should take a screenie of their endgame display roster.

So when you're doing pretty decent damage and you run into a horde of pussy mobs you'll probably ATTACK or SLASH and or use a low end multi pronged spell to kill them.

or avoid/run. Personally, I enjoy the grind.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
what do you mean? CGA has 3 (?) fixed palettes and a B&W higher res mode. there's really not much you can do there, I remember EGA graphics looking legit groundbreaking compared to that, what with 16 colors ~at the same time~.
A skilled artist can thrive with just 2 colors. Resolution is a limiting factor of course, but games like Uninvited, and Rise of the Dragon's CGA mode look considerably better than most CGA games and some EGA titles. And while its not impressive, even the regular, ugly-ass palette CGA mode, without the TV mode. See a fancy screen for a Bob Morane game. There's also World of Horror, but I don't think that has period resolution. Either way the poor color choices were usually an excuse for shoddy artists to do shoddy work.

newtmonkey

Arcane
Hey guys. Is it normal in combat starting out that if I choose an option other than Thrust, it defaults to Thrust and says Thrust anyway? I'm only wielding clubs so maybe I can't Swing or what have u with them? Just curious. Thanks!

Characters start out with only one attack per round, so "thrust" will be selected no matter what you choose. Your characters will get more attacks per round as they level up, and they you'll be able to actually select the other melee options.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Looking at other forums:

Posted September 21
The Phantasie series (SSI),

This is what Phantasie III looked like on C-64 (other 8-bits similar graphics) in Town of Pendragon:

This is what it looked like on Atari ST (and other 16-bit computers) same area of the game:

Hope it posts.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Last edited:

Fluent

Arcane
Patron
The Real Fanboy
Okay, before I go any further I want to check something. If I want to import my party into Phantasie 2 and then eventually 3, is it okay to take a random monster or two that only live to age 50? I'm thinking I could import the other 4 if the 2 monsters die of old age and make 2 new characters in Phantasie 2. I figure they wouldn't include that option if they didn't want u to use it. Thoughts on this please? :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom