Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline WORLD'S GREATEST GENERIC RPG BLOBBER ENGINE : "VAULT OF TERROR"

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
pig :bounce: can you have 6 of those?

One pet per party purchased at the stables. You have to return one animal or release them in order to add a new pet.

Pets include birds, cats, dogs and horses.

Pet will probably move to circular slot either side of text window to make room for full party of six players. I already have this working but was testing dynamic add-subtract of any party member including pet.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I was going to shit talk blobbers, but that pet pig looks cool and I would buy a game if Wilmer the Pig is in it. Carry on, king

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Oh! I bet someone will fix it so you can be all parrots or pigs or horses or w/e.

Polly & the Parrot Pilfering Pirates. SQUAWWRRRRKKK!! Crrrrrackers... YARRR!!

or the pigs wear cop uniforms and run into a certain Duke.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Been saving these backdrops for nearly 6 years anticipating using them in a blobber modeled after the original wizardry.

healers.jpg

I find it really appealing to think I could supplant Sir-Tech as the foremost producer of Wizardry style games of all sorts of genres in the modern era. That's what I am working towards.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
Does pet come with extra functionality(dogs nose helps you find hidden treasure, find more enemies[aka more random battles], etc) or they are just one more char in your party?

This is what was suggested previously:

I realized it would be a great storyline to have each of the pets be able to do something completely special that you could not otherwise do without them, as well as things like :

1. Find secrets buttons, switches and walls in the dungeon.
2. Explore the dungeon ahead of the party to push back fog of war on the map. (Cat runs around a while then reports back, same for falcon, etc.)
3. Ferret out things like stuff buried in the woods or at the top of a mountain peak the party cannot reach.
4. Distract enemies in combat (Dogs harry opponents resulting in confusion condition and lowering armor class, etc.)
5. Increase carrying capacity of party inventory (horse) or restore morale (dog, chicken)

And of course, turtle for crossing bodies of water.

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
"NullReferenceException". Already have some microissues, it seems.

Already the pig is causing problems. Pets lack a pointer to a character advancement data file because they do not advance like regular party characters.

(I hate pointer checking hacks but it is easier than writing a new subclass just for pets with all the logic inherited but the character advancement.)

Last edited:

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
Should be obvious I am a great fan of Elminage Gothic. I like the heavy reliance on narrative, the strict adherence to original Wizardry doctrine, the unashamed indulgence in storytelling with some passive enjoyment. It's not Grimoire, it's not Might & Magic, it's not quite Wizardry ... it was really fun for me to play through.

I am using the "narrator," a mysterious host who appears at the start of the game and whenever the tomes near the map icons are clicked upon (as well as other places) to focus most of the exposition through. If I really like it I will use exact same mechanism in POST-ATOMIC and the other genres. It suits the notion of these games being brief, enjoyable and very accessible by newbs. Sorry purists but I will use this approach until I move the engine to true 3D creatures and I think the style suits the particular game play.

narrative.jpg

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
I had planned to integrate a complex Dialogue engine for in-depth conversations then I realized I could just use the current cutscene generator with a few simple options in speaking to NPCs to cover all the possibilities required for the game. This immediately made things less complex like Elminage Gothic which is all that is needed for this particular game.

I have started to realize the only way I am getting this out by Christmas is to keep slashing at the complexity and keep it as simple as Elminage.

Biggest hurdle to putting the screenshots up of the dungeons is that I keep experimenting with toon shaders to give the 3D the anime look. Still working on this.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I have started to realize the only way I am getting this out by Christmas is to keep slashing at the complexity and keep it as simple as Elminage.

I can't say i'm a Elminage fan but if you stay away from Elminage dungeon design and UI, it might be alright.
Town UI, spells and character management from Elminage was such a waste of time.
Also, ghost NPC in dungeons all looking the same, didn't help at all, and the map management thingy was a pain too, that's about it, i think...

Hum, the underwater tunnels was a good idea but i didn't like how they implemented it either.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom