Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Disco Elysium - The Final Cut - a hardboiled cop show isometric RPG

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The problem people like you fanboys have is I did not immediately suck the games dick so I must be one of the haters like all the other Codex retards that hate PoE just because it wasn't Baldur's Gate.
I haven't commented at you or any of the people criticizing DE cause I really don't give a shit. I'm not a fanboy, I'm just answering your question.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
I was never particularly interested in Disco Elysium since I always got the impression that it just wasn't for me. But hey, it's my girlfriends favourite game and probably the only thing she loves more than me so I decided to give it a chance since she's gone for a week.

The game is at it's strongest when you're doing the non optional content in my opinion. The highlight of every day was always the murder mystery. The peak of the game was early in the second day when I was speaking to Titus and Klaasje and really got into the murder and started piecing it together. In these moments the conversations were amazing, filled with hidden depths and requiring you to pay attention and make connections. But that only took a few hours in game... and then I had to figure out how to spend the rest of the day. The "side quests," are generally boring and uninteresting to me. They're all meandering and lacking in drama, for others this works because of the intimate melancholic atmosphere, or the comedic writing, but it never hit home for me. The atmosphere to me feels similar to something like A Night in the Woods or A Catcher in the Rye, two works which like Disco Elysium were clearly extremely well crafted but just didn't appeal to my sensibilities. There's a reason I prefer fantasy books after trying to get into literature, I guess I just don't find subtlety appealing.

I've seen people describe the comedy as "cringe comedy," which is true in a way, it definitely makes you cringe. But it's a different sort of cringe comedy than the "haha lets laugh at autistic people," that's common on the internet today. The comedy was always extraordinarily sympathetic to Harry, even if you find it funny unlike me you're just as likely to want to give the main character a hug. This is one of the best parts of the game in general, every character no matter their beliefs or actions is sympathised with. No character is malevolent, they're all doing their best in their own way.

This becomes relevant especially in the way politics relates to characters. Coming into the game I expected the sort of spiritually devoid leftist posturing that is common in politically focused media, probably because of the way so many leftists reacted to the game. Instead I found a very mature, albeit incomplete, view of the way politics exists in the world and relates to people. Politics of course exists as a backdrop, of worldbuilding, as it has to when it takes place in a world so much like our own. There have been revolutions and political conflict in recent history in Disco Elysium, and it reflects on the socioeconomic tensions that surround the main conflicts in the game. But if you ask me the real insight is the way Disco Elysium sees through politics.

This is clearly evident in the games penultimate conversation, the one with the communist on the island. Sure the conversation mentions dialectical materialism and other aspects of Marxist belief, but this is a backdrop to what the man on the island is and what he represents. This man has internalised communism, it has become an inseparable part of his identity. It is through ideology that he understands himself, that he understands the world, communism is his ultimate justification of everything that he is and everything that he does. This is important because it shows us that the writer(s?) have a clear understanding of the way people use ideologies as a part of their life, and of the individual behind the ideology. This is why the game can be so sympathetic to every character, despite being a political game the people in it are never reduced to their ideology, they're first and foremost people. And ideologies work the same way they do in real life, as comfortable lens with which to colour life and make it comfortable and understandable.

There's also the other side of the political coin, which is parody. When the game directly speaks about and confronts ideologies it almost never takes them seriously. At first I disliked this, it was funny when I put on pants and instantly became a centrist, but I thought it was a shame that the game didn't have anything to say about them. I was wrong. This is incredibly important because it shows how fragile and ridiculous adherence to ideology can be in real life. From the outside perspective, as a player, we see it for the silly game that it is. Yet for the characters inside the world these are serious, moralism is serious, race ideology is serious, the things we're laughing at are real. I'm sure if we lived in the world of Disco Elysium and we looked into our own world, we would find our ideological conflicts just as ridiculous as they are in this game. Anyone who thinks this game is some sort of communist propaganda is illiterate.

Unlike seemingly everyone else, I quite liked the ending. I didn't feel like it was changed particularly much by my choices, but I didn't mind. The ending was the moment at which the two Harry's combine; the player's Harry who you controlled for the past 5 days and the Harry from before you played. No longer was Harry's past just fragmented bits of memory and strange nightmares, it was real, represented by people from your past confronting you about your actions. I thought this was a really interesting and thematic way to end the game. Through the conversation it felt like the "sorry cop" I played ended up slowly falling out of my hands, as the Harry of before integrated with the Harry of now. It was sort of upsetting in a way, Harry was controlled by Harry again, and Harry always treated himself worse than I treated him.

The side quests however sort of killed the experience for me. This isn't a James Joyce novel where even the simplest events can be hilarious, I just didn't find it funny, I didn't find it engaging, I didn't find it dramatic. I couldn't find it in me to care about the drunk homeless men I partied with or the teenagers that wanted to start a night club. There were a few good characters/side quests, Acele was great and I really loved the small conversations we had, and I found the children of the game universally interesting and well written. But most of the time the meandering glacial pace of the side questing left me extremely bored, and the writing wasn't enough to carry it.

Overall it was an alright experience, even if it bored me to literal tears at times it had a lot of insight. I look forward to whatever the devs make next :)

Repressed Homosexual
Got it on the Steam sale. So far I'm not really liking it. Why are there 50 different skill checks for every little room and every little conversation you engage in? Totally pointless and obnoxious filler. It should have been cut by 90%. Skill checks have no point where there is one every single minute, they're just an annoyance.

Most of the conversations are drawn out, pretentious and annoying. I'm not surprised this game was inspired by Planescape Torment, because that game too sucked for these exact same reasons. I hate when game writers try to act like they're so brillant and clever. No you're not, get to the point.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Ahhh, newfags, when they wake from their perfectslumbers. So much things to say, like they had never opened their mouths in their life...
Lmao, when a guy finally writes an interesting post about the game that's on topic versus the usual Codex bullshit, of course there needs to be a Codexer that try's to shit on him for no reason. I wish more people on the forum had "so much things to say", the forum would be a lot more interesting.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
comedic writing
I am curious about what you found comedic.

The side quests however sort of killed the experience for me.
I disagree with you,the side quest were very well made and flashed out the world in which you are. I honestly don't see them as side things,since everything in the game is part of the whole story. Even the game doesn't see them as side quests because there is a gated part that makes you do part of that content before you could open it up. My favourite part of the game was the supranatural,even made kim in to believer lol.

Got it on the Steam sale. So far I'm not really liking it. Why are there 50 different skill checks for every little room and every little conversation you engage in? Totally pointless and obnoxious filler. It should have been cut by 90%. Skill checks have no point where there is one every single minute, they're just an annoyance.

Most of the conversations are drawn out, pretentious and annoying. I'm not surprised this game was inspired by Planescape Torment, because that game too sucked for these exact same reasons. I hate when game writers try to act like they're so brillant and clever. No you're not, get to the point.
Humanity had risen,but had remain in the primordial mud.

Ahhh, newfags, when they wake from their perfectslumbers. So much things to say, like they had never opened their mouths in their life...
Lmao, when a guy finally writes an interesting post about the game that's on topic versus the usual Codex bullshit, of course there needs to be a Codexer that try's to shit on him for no reason. I wish more people on the forum had "so much things to say", the forum would be a lot more interesting.
Yup,it is shame that we can't have a decent discussion on game without some political demagogue bitching about shit.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I think one of the most interesting aspects that I liked, outside of what you just mentioned is that how your own "stats" are treated as the "party you control" and the "enemy party". For example, when the lady tries to seduce you and lead you off, things can easily break down for you, if you do not have enough self-control. If you do, however, you can easily "see" through her plot.

Which, really, acts much like real life.

In general, people that shit on this game are probably illiterate. In general, people that think too highly of this game, like the smell of their own farts. It's just an unique game. That's all.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Because other people always tell me it's hilarious. It's one of the common points of praise for the game.
Personally, the only part that I found funny was the part where the main character and your aid are trying to figure out what happened to the car that made some VERY SPECIFIC tracks. And your aid clearly understands what happened. But he's just casually waiting for you to get it. And you do. And then it's just a humorous couple of minutes where you're in on the joke, and you're just casually waiting for your main character to piece together things as well.

I smiled.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Ok,now i needs some example...got curious. I don't remember having some comedic moments in the game.

Seems like the main thing people find funny is the failed checks. That's why I compared it to cringe comedy, a lot of the failed checks are Harry being a miserable idiot and a lot of people find that kind of stuff hilarious. There's also lots of reference humour like the incel stuff where you can complain about the cock carousel, or Measurehead which is reminiscent of a lot of 4chan schizo racists. It's the kind of thing where people laugh because they think "hey I get that," and feel clever for it. And then there's lots of comedy that's just stuff being whacky or random. The random humour got me a bit for the first two or so hours but it quickly became normal and stopped being funny to me.

Harthwain

Magister
Ok,now i needs some example...got curious. I don't remember having some comedic moments in the game.
From the top of my head (in no specific order):

1) "Dios mío!" (Draw a cross.) "A LIBERAL!"

2) Rhetoric approaching you about communism - the start of the conversation sounds like some shady dealer tries to sell you drugs. At least that was the impression I got from it. (You know, the "Hey, kid. Wanna buy some drugs?" kind of thing).

3) "No! No *wódka*!" (Turn your fingers counter-clockwise.) "Cut it."

4) Homo-Sexual Underground description.

"You see mysterious strangers in the night. Leaning against unlit doorways, engaged in hushed conversation. A shadowy cabal exchanging looks, whispering in dark alleys and unmarked locales. A radical cell conspiring against the state -- and perhaps even against man and woman. Was that a secret handshake? What’s going on? Who are these secretive people? How will they accomplish their sinister and world-altering goals? And most importantly -- are you *one* of them? You could be. Maybe you forgot...".
5) When discovering the thought Date of Birth Generator you get the line "To the Laboratorium!".

Yup,it is shame that we can't have a decent discussion on game without some political demagogue bitching about shit.
I'd say the part of Disco Elysium's goal was to point out how deeply this kind of political bitching is rooted in the people's worldview (and, as a result, in the world around us as well).

Nothing, which is why i didn't enjoy it.
You must be like me when I read about the Discworld. I understand the jokes on the intellectual level, but somehow they don't hit me. I needed other media (games and comics) to find the Discworld's jokes funny.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
lul at all this bitching about a pun on this newfag's name.

Also I was just remarking on how many of us came out of lurking with a lot to say on our first posts. It's a typical newfag thing.

Get over yourselves, outragefinders!

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Seems like the main thing people find funny is the failed checks. That's why I compared it to cringe comedy, a lot of the failed checks are Harry being a miserable idiot and a lot of people find that kind of stuff hilarious. There's also lots of reference humour like the incel stuff where you can complain about the cock carousel, or Measurehead which is reminiscent of a lot of 4chan schizo racists. It's the kind of thing where people laugh because they think "hey I get that," and feel clever for it. And then there's lots of comedy that's just stuff being whacky or random. The random humour got me a bit for the first two or so hours but it quickly became normal and stopped being funny to me.
:whatho:
Maybe you need a change of mates.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Also I was just remarking on how many of us came out of lurking with a lot to say on our first posts. It's a typical newfag thing
Sure,doesn't mean you have to be a butthurt fag about it. The reality is that we run out of topics at some point. We are all to some extend experts on RPGs,thus there is no point in putting out long and thoughtful posts. Communication between people with equal expertize is mostly short and to the point.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
4) Homo-Sexual Underground description.
Not funny,more like a satire of reality.
I'd say the part of Disco Elysium's goal was to point out how deeply this kind of political bitching is rooted in the people's worldview (and, as a result, in the world around us as well).
Sure,it makes for some realistic and well written characters,we need more of this writing.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
lul at all this bitching about a pun on this newfag's name.

Also I was just remarking on how many of us came out of lurking with a lot to say on our first posts. It's a typical newfag thing.

Get over yourselves, outragefinders!

I don't mind tbh, I found it pretty funny. I wouldn't have joined this forum if I didn't expect people to playfully haze me for being new.

Harthwain

Magister
Not funny,more like a satire of reality.
Satire can be humorous. What makes me laugh here is the style it is written in. But ultimately de gustibus non est disputandum - I just pointed out some moments that I found comedic. Obviously everyone will have his own opinion on what is funny (if anything).

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Also I was just remarking on how many of us came out of lurking with a lot to say on our first posts. It's a typical newfag thing
Sure,doesn't mean you have to be a butthurt fag about it.
I wasn't, you guys interpreted it that way. I always make jokes with people's usernames.

I don't mind tbh, I found it pretty funny. I wouldn't have joined this forum if I didn't expect people to playfully haze me for being new.
You'll fit in nicely then.

Last edited:

KVVRR

Learned

Arulan

Cipher
I found it pretty funny. I lost it during the conversation with Precinct 41 about your missing badge & gun.

What I found to be impressive was not only how well the humor hit, but the range of emotions the game conveys. Some moments will leave you emotional to the point of tears, and in others you can't stop laughing. Moments where you're so invested in this thing being real that you share the same desperate hope your character does. And somehow by the end of it all I really cared about a relationship to an inanimate object -- my necktie.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
KuVZNiQ.jpg

the-simpsons-nodding.gif

Last edited:
Repressed Homosexual
Tell me, what's the point of a game with skill checks if there are thousands of skill check to perform, for every mundane thing you do? On of the 12 different objects and NPCs in a room?

It's not a game anymore, it's insanity. It's pretentious wankery.

Imagine how fun Fallout would have been if you needed to perform 10 totally pointless skill checks for every conversation you to took part in and every object that surrounded you. Would this have made you excited to interact with the game world, or aggravated beyond belief?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom