Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best non rpg games of the past 10 years

thelegend

Learned
Please let me know your best non rpg games of the past 10 years

Ash

Arcane
Darkwood - Survival Horror
Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - Action Stealth
Dying Light - Open World Action Platformer
Hades - Rogue-lite Action
Spelunky 2 - Rogue-lite Platformer
XCOM 2 - Turn-based Tactics
Hollow Knight - Metroidvania/Action Platformer
Doom: Eternal - FPS
Toe Jam & Earl: Back in the Groove - ?
Dead Nation - Twin Stick Shooter

A few I don't really want to put in here (Doom Eternal, Toe Jam, XCOM 2) but then the question becomes "what else then?".

Wunderbar

Arcane
Return of the Obra Dinn
Into the Breach
Hollow Knight
Darkwood
Resident Evil 2 Remake
Dishonored and Prey
SOMA
Alien Isolation
Pathologic remake
Portal 2
The Binding of Isaac

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
  • PlayerUnknown Battlegrounds
  • Killing Floor 2
Fighting Games
  • Guilty Gear XRD
  • Tekken 7
  • King of Fighters XIII
Shooters
  • Prodeus
Roguelites
  • Noita

Falksi

Arcane
Nex Machina
X-Com 2
Demons of Asteborg
Untill Dawn
Nioh (not played number 2 yet)
Lords of the Fallen
Alan Wake
Batman Arkham Origins
Cuphead
Assisins Creed: Origins
Tomb Raider 2013
Saints Row 4
Streets of Rage 4
Double Dragon Neon
Dragon's Crown
Mother Russia Bleeds

I had a quick Google of some "Top X games of the 2010's" to refresh my memory, and I swear that this article below....

100 best games of the decade: Top Ten - The 100 best games of the decade | GamesRadar+

....confirms the 2010's as the worst decade in gaming ever.

I pretty much hate every game in their top 10 with a passion apart from Portal 2 & BOTW, which I still haven't played yet.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
For me it was:

Mordhau
Bloodborne
Ghost of Tushima
Hand of Fate
Smash Bros Ultimate (long live couch coop)
Sorcery! (if a gamebook port counts)
Xcom 2
Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward
Fire Emblem Awakening

Disco Elysium ;)

Ash

Arcane
....confirms the 2010's as the worst decade in gaming ever..

Probably. The late 2000s were so bad it almost completely removes all good will of the first half of the 2000s (including Deus Ex). And the first half had its own sizable portion of decline too, though nothing relative to the latter half of the decade.

But it has to be the 2010s as it's just been largely shit across the board. Very few somehow against all odds worthy AAAs, and some indies coming to the rescue, otherwise an absolute disaster.

also triggered seeing Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed, Batman, Tomb Raider 2013 in your list, but I like you well enough to dismiss the thought of calling you cuck....whoops there I go again :D

Codex Year of the Donut
The worst years of gaming started with the release date of the PS3/360. It doesn't matter if you owned one or not, the overall quality in games declined steeply as the barrier to enter was greatly increased and a larger focus from big name developers shifted to grafx with an army of artists. The overall quality of games didn't start increasing until Steam allowed AA developers & indies an easy way to access the mass market -- slowly beginning with the introduction of Greenlight.

Ash

Arcane
^Facts

Brainless cinematic games became the norm, achievements and micro transactions were introduced (horse armor), the rebooting of franchises in barebones form began, budgets shifted over to prioritizing the marketing and art departments heavily, and everyone was riding the sellout bandwagon hard. Never witnessed anything like it. They were all on the same wavelength. No beloved game series survived the rape. Complete degeneracy.

The thing that confused me was hardly anyone seemed to notice or care. I didn't understand at the time that dedicated or "hardcore" gamers were actually very few in number. quickly realized and it made it all the more devastating.

One hilarious thing I remember is all the suck ups that would defend the devs "they are hardworking and need/deserve the money"
:deathclaw:

Never mind the fact it largely doesn't go to devs, they earn an at least reasonable wage (in most cases) regardless even if it is less than other tech jobs, and since then wages have barely gone up even with inflation.

One thing to note is that although the 2010s has been largely shit, the games have slightly evolved. In the late 2000s they were barely games. You'd walk down a corridoor, some scripted shit would happen, you'd press an awesome button, fireworks go off, pop a few moles, rinse and repeat. Most genres saw steep decline similar to this. We're not back to 90s level of gameplay standards, not even close, but they realized they couldn't keep doing that utterly braindead shit and keep the smooth brains impressed forever. But instead as one example devs seem to lean on sandbox skinner box collectathon with 100 handholding features type design. It's shallow as fuck, but still more involving and complex than the late 2000s games that were barely even games. Every style of game has levelled up, but it's still weak and unengaging as shit.

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
....confirms the 2010's as the worst decade in gaming ever..

Probably. The late 2000s were so bad it almost completely removes all good will of the first half of the 2000s (including Deus Ex). And the first half had its own sizable portion of decline too, though nothing relative to the latter half of the decade.

But it has to be the 2010s as it's just been largely shit across the board. Very few somehow against all odds worthy AAAs, and some indies coming to the rescue, otherwise an absolute disaster.

also triggered seeing Alan Wake, Assassin's Creed, Batman, Tomb Raider 2013 in your list, but I like you well enough to dismiss the thought of calling you cuck....whoops there I go again :D

Ha, tbh I think all 4 games you mention there are pretty trash, but they kinda accept they are trash and run with it to the point that they're disposably playable. Unlike trash which tries to con the player into thinking it's deep by adding a shit load of cutscenes, like Mass Effect 2. None of them 4 get played now, but for a once through they were fine. If any of those 4 were released in the 90's they wouldn't get a fucking look-in.

Zlaja

Arcane
Tomb Raider 2013

So...you really enjoyed those Lara death scenes, didn't you?

Lords of the Fallen

Based!

I had a quick Google of some "Top X games of the 2010's" to refresh my memory, and I swear that this article below....

100 best games of the decade: Top Ten - The 100 best games of the decade | GamesRadar+

Wow, those monkeys have New Vegas at only nr.28, but Mass Effect 2 is nr.6. Filthy savages!

Ash

Arcane
Oh I forgot about Dex. Nice little indie though fell a little short. But wait, it's an RPG. And So is Dark Souls. And so is Bloodstained. People need to stop cheating!

Inb4 what is an RPG?

but Mass Effect 2 is nr.6
I need to do a proper writeup on why Mass Effect 2 is in fact the worst of the three.

All three are terrible and deserve no time and effort at all. Popamole cover shooters with absolutely terrible/non-existent level design, shit RPG systems, and otherwise bland space opera/politics/romance. Gross.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom