Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rance Series

Rafidur

Learned
IIRC the rape scenes in Evenicle are off-screen, with just audio recordings that Aster hears.

IIRC most of it is onscreen, notable exception being a girl being
eaten alive
afterwards

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Don't think I'm getting Dohna Dohna. Never been into Darkest Dungeon gameplay and I have a busy week or two coming up. Would rather blow my free time to SMT V when it comes out.

Tyrr

Liturgist
I think I will also skip this one.
I don't trust the site that is (exclusively) selling it. I don't like the DRM. And I also don't want support western releases that don't remove the mosaic censorship.

Arthandas

Liturgist
I think I will also skip this one.
I don't trust the site that is (exclusively) selling it. I don't like the DRM. And I also don't want support western releases that don't remove the mosaic censorship.
My thoughts exactly. Fuck both Johren and Alicesoft for going with them.
I may or may not torrent it at some point but I definitely won't pay for it, not when other stores like JAST, MG or even Fakku can have drm/mosaic free releases

Longes

Augur
I've been playing Dohna Dohna. The artstyle is fantastic, as is the music. The cast is pretty decent, and unlike in Rance you have some bros to play off of. Bros who are mysteriously completely ignored by the female population of the game. The gameplay... exists? It's nothing to write home about, but it's functional.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I've been playing Dohna Dohna. The artstyle is fantastic, as is the music. The cast is pretty decent, and unlike in Rance you have some bros to play off of. Bros who are mysteriously completely ignored by the female population of the game. The gameplay... exists? It's nothing to write home about, but it's functional.
it's markedly more fun towards mid-game when juggling phases makes sense, shame the hustling phase is invalidated entirely once you hit ~ chapter 20 and there's next to nothing to waste money on, save for some spare +800 feeling boosts etc.
the cause of this is the natural growth in tec among your prostitutes as game goes on, its impossible to run out of money when you have like 5 s+ tec girls and you match the drive-by whoring requests competently

Terra

Cipher
Rance X recent guesstimates

Also some speculation here from question-askers about whether Shiravune will get hold of Rance 03 or takeover for Rance X, where Steiner thinks thats doubtful on both fronts.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Rance X recent guesstimates

Also some speculation here from question-askers about whether Shiravune will get hold of Rance 03 or takeover for Rance X, where Steiner thinks thats doubtful on both fronts.

He should start a Kickstarter. Lesser known VNs (like VenusBlood) collected quite a bit of money.

Longes

Augur
it's markedly more fun towards mid-game when juggling phases makes sense, shame the hustling phase is invalidated entirely once you hit ~ chapter 20 and there's next to nothing to waste money on, save for some spare +800 feeling boosts etc.
the cause of this is the natural growth in tec among your prostitutes as game goes on, its impossible to run out of money when you have like 5 s+ tec girls and you match the drive-by whoring requests competently
I'm currently on chapter 12, as I was playing very slowly. I like the cast, but the game basically doesn't have a plot. I'm 30 hours in and nothing happened. The events are funny, the combat mechanics are tolerable but not great, the sex scenes range from great (Kikuchiyo and Antenna) to the groomer-fest that is ALyCE. But there is no story.

At least I finally know why your bros get ignored by the girls - Zappa is gay, Joker is underaged, and Torataro is cringe.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I'm currently on chapter 12, as I was playing very slowly. I like the cast, but the game basically doesn't have a plot. I'm 30 hours in and nothing happened. The events are funny, the combat mechanics are tolerable but not great, the sex scenes range from great (Kikuchiyo and Antenna) to the groomer-fest that is ALyCE. But there is no story.

At least I finally know why your bros get ignored by the girls - Zappa is gay, Joker is underaged, and Torataro is cringe.
the plot is arguably AliceSoft at its least epic I've seen so far, even the resolution is nowhere near any Rance game (including Quest being about Rance's dick for the most part)
I guess it's not easy to stomach to all

Longes

Augur

the plot is arguably AliceSoft at its least epic I've seen so far, even the resolution is nowhere near any Rance game (including Quest being about Rance's dick for the most part)
I mean, Rance 01 has a plot. Hikari has been kidnapped and Rance is hired to find her. As the game goes you take actions related to searching for Hikari. It's a Quest for Hikari, you might say.

Dohna Dohna is pretty much just "daily life of the anarchist human traffickers". You just do your hunting in a vague pursuit of the destruction of Asougi. Medico's missing dad could have been a kick-off point for the story - but then it's just ignored for ten chapters. Mysterious Boy In The Box could have been a kick-off point for the story - but no, Joker's just some guy who joins your team. It's just slice-of-lifeing.

Maxie

Wholesome Chungus
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

I mean, Rance 01 has a plot. Hikari has been kidnapped and Rance is hired to find her. As the game goes you take actions related to searching for Hikari. It's a Quest for Hikari, you might say.

Dohna Dohna is pretty much just "daily life of the anarchist human traffickers". You just do your hunting in a vague pursuit of the destruction of Asougi. Medico's missing dad could have been a kick-off point for the story - but then it's just ignored for ten chapters. Mysterious Boy In The Box could have been a kick-off point for the story - but no, Joker's just some guy who joins your team. It's just slice-of-lifeing.
Fair point, arguing against that isn't a reasonable hill to die on

j2alg

Educated
Pretty weird schizo game.
Your main character decides to not involve innocent person #2 in their hustling because that's not alright, minutes after forcing innocent person #1 into prostitution and throwing her at fat bastards until she has a mental breakdown

Endemic

Arcane
Pretty weird schizo game. Your main character decides to not involve innocent person #2 in their hustling because that's not alright, minutes after forcing innocent person #1 into prostitution and throwing her at fat bastards until she has a mental breakdown

Eh, Alicesoft games have had that inconsistency before. Rance getting teary-eyed over Sill in Kichikuou comes to mind. Or really just the behaviour of most female characters in the Rance series after being raped (Kouhime in Sengoku being the most glaring example).

Longes

Augur
Pretty weird schizo game.
Your main character decides to not involve innocent person #2 in their hustling because that's not alright, minutes after forcing innocent person #1 into prostitution and throwing her at fat bastards until she has a mental breakdown
I'm assuming by person #2 you mean Medico, and the reason they don't involve her is because she's an Outsider and thus not associated with Asougi in any form. Where as everyone in the city implicitly is.

Longes

Augur
Pretty weird schizo game. Your main character decides to not involve innocent person #2 in their hustling because that's not alright, minutes after forcing innocent person #1 into prostitution and throwing her at fat bastards until she has a mental breakdown

Eh, Alicesoft games have had that inconsistency before. Rance getting teary-eyed over Sill in Kichikuou comes to mind. Or really just the behaviour of most female characters in the Rance series after being raped (Kouhime in Sengoku being the most glaring example).
Wait, what's wrong with Kou? She has PTSD but also her act of self-fridging motivates her to fight against Xavier for real. If anything, Kouhime is by far the most normal one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom