Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird West: Definitive Edition - top-down immersive sim action-RPG from Arkane founder Raf Colantonio

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also on GOG: https://af.gog.com/game/weird_west?as=1649904300

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1097350/view/3088899947850496059

Weird West Rides Toward a January 11th Launch

b945d976a8f5f57e4b9c0e9b457a8cdb6977ca55.png

Hi everyone!
WolfEye and our slack-jawed deputy Devolver Digital have decided to announce that our upcoming action RPG experience set within a surreal vision of the developing frontier, Weird West, is launching on January 11th.

With that announcement out of the way, we are ready to open pre-orders now! As a bonus to all of you who decide to support us early on, we will furnish you with a horse named Calamity.

952e7e157f37d436693c69161240810c525bd86b.png

Calamity is a dependable mule that provides leg up at the beginning of their adventures by doubling your inventory size, allowing you to escape locations even if enemies are chasing you, and faster travel to avoid missing out on timed objectives. Calamity’s saddlebags will also be stocked up with essential items, including lockpicks, bandages, tools and a Golden Ace of Spades upgrade token.

Coinciding with this news, we have released the first part of a brand new video series which sees WolfEye Studios creative director Raf Colantonio walk through an overview of the game in the first of a series of deeper dive videos. Check it out below.

Last edited:

Belegarsson

Think about hairy dwarfs all the time ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
God, I wanna board team Raf but the game is more expensive than Age of Empires 4 in my country :/

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I hate nowaday ARPG dying systems, much more prefer saving (at fixed points, events or exiting game) and reloading (Diablo 1). I wonder what they did here, but not holding my breath
Already discussed earlier in the thread. No reloading, you respawn on death.
As an immersive sim, Weird West doesn’t allow players to travel backward in time or undo any action, even if it resulted in the death of a compatriot, the ire of an entire village or a failed mission. Players can die in the game, but anything that happened before death will remain true at respawn. Time marches on.

Codex Year of the Donut
Hate the art style.
ss_ee5e8e23adf9e8e4ca7e278f18fe7e8c53d6311e.1920x1080.jpg

ss_4b68ffbd6ece47e9542780df1f6223ece8e0f745.1920x1080.jpg

Probably wouldn't look as bad without the obnoxious outlines, I always turned that crap off in Borderlands games.

Looks like Hard West will remain my favorite western-themed RPG.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Probably wouldn't look as bad without the obnoxious outlines, I always turned that crap off in Borderlands games.
It's the "drawn" look, like from a comic. It's not automatically terrible IMO, it's a stylized presentation rather than realistic, but it really depends on how it looks in motion.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
It's a real time game, so immediate readability is important. :M
And do you mean having outlines makes everything more immediately readable, or less?

IMO it depends on execution, which is why I think we need to wait until we see it in motion, in a bigger format than small twitter clips.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
It's a real time game, so immediate readability is important. :M
And do you mean having outlines makes everything more immediately readable, or less?

IMO it depends on execution, which is why I think we need to wait until we see it in motion, in a bigger format than small twitter clips.

Outlines make things more readable.

Also there are hd videos on youtube where you can see for yourself https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ming-january-11th.130814/page-13#post-7573582

JDR13

Arcane
I love the setting, but I hate that they went with an isometric view here. I'd rather be closer to the action for something like this.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Weird West doesn't overburden the player with a progression system. You won't spend hours staring at a character sheet redepositing talent points. Instead, I found troves of purple "Nimp Relics" on my journey, stashed away like Zelda chests, which could be spent to unlock a variety of special powers. Within a few hours of play, my bounty hunter could lay down shrapnel mines, fasten a silencer to her rifle, and chuck the bottles and crates she found lingering around the arenas at a terminal velocity. You also uncover the occasional Golden Ace of Spades that are cashed into a perk system for some more conventional bonuses — faster reload speeds, more max health, and so on. It's possible to minmax out an impeccable build in Weird West, but thankfully, nobody will have to calculate any percentages.

Warren Spector would approve. :lol:

The gunplay is visceral, but the controls could be a little tighter. A number of my firefights devolved into both sides circle-strafing around each other, waiting for someone's health to drop to zero, which doesn't encapsulate the high-minded tactical flair that Wolfeye is going for.

That sounds about right. :M

agris

Arcane
Patron
Weird West doesn't overburden the player with a progression system.
I feel a bit like the The Wall saying this, but surely this is a sign of the decline of western civilization. The burden of a progression system. Holding within one's mind a conceptual framework that is the game's rules and mechanics, and building your character within that framework, is burdensome.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I feel a bit like the The Wall saying this, but surely this is a sign of the decline of western civilization. The burden of a progression system. Holding within one's mind a conceptual framework that is the game's rules and mechanics, and building your character within that framework, is burdensome.

It's the Warren Spector school of design https://rpgcodex.net/forums/threads...ted-posts-allowed.57009/page-441#post-2371746

Spending a lot of time fiddling with crap in menus like some nerd = not ideal. For real-time action games like this, I can understand why they chose this as a design goal. Turn based, real time with pause? Fiddle away.

ADL

Prophet
I don't want to watch game journos play immersive sims. Arkane had the right idea with their Death of the Outsider marketing campaign. Shame they didn't do it again with Deathloop.

Give stealthgamerbr access right now.

I just checked his twitter, this dude can make anything look fun.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom