Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

Tigranes

Arcane
uniques tend to be underwhelming(well, fists are nice, perhaps some sniper rifles(never played)

poisons/survival are fine in such games. Ammunition/batteries too. Assembling high tech guns is weird.

Only memorable item crafting I can think of in other games, are light saber assembly in kotor and some artifact in bg2 with dwarf smith

You god damn heathen duck

LPA66-51.jpg

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
funny thing about arcanum is that many of those cool assembled weapons could be found somewhere in the world. Well, its cool at first, then its about rushing to steal them with fate point. Still its deterministic so one can only approve

Might be a good idea to make it so unique items can be upgraded with crafting skills. Wouldn't solve the problem of crafting being way too good, but it'd at least make uniques worthwhile instead of most of them being trash. And it wouldn't make crafting skills a waste of points the way buffing uniques to be really good would.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
adding generic crafting -- and having it make the best items of all things -- just makes it another generic sci-fi setting rather than one with interesting lost artifacts to discover through exploration

I see your point, of course, but you seem to be ignoring mine—which is that the Underrail civilization never truly fell. Continuities to the laboratories, databases, and technologies of the past were never really severed.

Beyond that, there are two further points to make. One is that high technology as we know it in the real world breaks down constantly, requires continual maintenance, and simply doesn't last. I would never expect a suit of powered armor, a laser rifle, a supercomputer, or anything of the sort to actually be functional after two hundred years languishing in a bunker as seen in Fallout, for example. You could argue that advancements in technology might greatly increase the robustness and longevity of such things, but so far the trend has been the opposite.

The other point is that "finding lost artifacts" is just as common a sci-fi trope (and one borrowed from fantasy, at that) as any other well known trope, so your preference doesn't even hold water from a logical standpoint.

syko or whatever is right that there's no chance your character would ever produce anything on par with a master craftsman, let alone on par with a high-science industrial corponation. Duct taping things you barely understand together to make something you really barely understand? Sure.

No doubt, but some allowances must be made for the purposes of gameplay within a fantasy world. I'm not necessarily defending the fact that the protagonist can become a master pharmacist, biologist, gunsmith, armorsmith, tailor, and electronics expert, but 100% realism is rarely desirable outside of aircraft or orbital mechanics simulators.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Might be a good idea to make it so unique items can be upgraded with crafting skills. Wouldn't solve the problem of crafting being way too good, but it'd at least make uniques worthwhile instead of most of them being trash. And it wouldn't make crafting skills a waste of points the way buffing uniques to be really good would.

Not opposed to this. I'd still rather make a .44 cal SMG and just mass fire explosive rounds.

CHEMS

Scholar
uniques tend to be underwhelming(well, fists are nice, perhaps some sniper rifles(never played)

poisons/survival are fine in such games. Ammunition/batteries too. Assembling high tech guns is weird.

Only memorable item crafting I can think of in other games, are light saber assembly in kotor and some artifact in bg2 with dwarf smith

You god damn heathen duck

LPA66-51.jpg

That weapon was the shit.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
One is that high technology as we know it in the real world breaks down constantly, requires continual maintenance, and simply doesn't last.

The reason is the intended design - programmed obsolescense of everything for consumers use. Plastic details where simle steel should be - in meatgrinder for example, or in notebooks so their screens just can't held vertically after some time. Or german motors which today last 3-5 years, while 20 years ago ti was 10-15-20 years. Most of time it's not technology limitations.

Trashos

Arcane
In other news... Wow, burrowers are so much easier for tanks than they are for stealthy builds! Maybe I should employ tanking tactics against burrowers with my stealthy builds too, although I am not sure whether it will work for absolute glass cannons.

jackofshadows

Magister
That's nice but nothing compared to the sight of poor stalkers which cannot bite through your armor. Dophamine through the roof is guaranteed.

Ol' Willy

Arcane
Zionist Agent Vatnik
It's kinda telling that most of the people agree on the point that unique firearms are not very useful.

What may benefit the game is more unique "frames" for crafting instead. Some very old ones, experimental ones, cutting edge ones, etc. All of them would be available for crafting but with the caveat that they are very rare or maybe even exist in one place at all in the game. In return, they will have some interesting bonuses and feats.

Then, the dev can stuff these frames in various donjons for player to hunt for.

Rare OP items are dope of many RPGs while most of the loot in Underrail is rather generic.

Zeem

Learned
The biggest problem of unique firearms is that they aren't actually that unique. They might use a caliber that's otherwise inaccessible to the weapon type or get a minor bonus equivalent to a single attachment, but they don't do anything radically different. They have no additional damage types or effects that they'd apply to targets, they have no improved synergy with any of the feats and they don't have any non-combat uses.
Contrast and compare this to Sonocaster which I consider the best unique weapon in the game. It deals mech damage (uniquely for energy weapons) that partially bypasses armor (making it not shit against armored targets), passes through multiple targets (unique for all guns) and has several special attacks replacing your usual fare, one of which applies daze to all its targets. On top of that it has a pure utility feature - it can destroy rocks and weak walls without the use of TNT or a Jackhammer at a fraction of the weight and cost - making it useful to any character type, even the ones that can't use guns.
If firearm uniques stood out half as much as Sonocaster there would be plenty of reasons to use them, I think.

Last edited:

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Does anyone have a list of all the things that difficulty settings do? I remember seeing a list (maybe on the wiki) in the past but I can't find it.

PorkaMorka

Arcane
Dumb question:

Did anyone here make their own UR character build based only on in-game information / official documentation?

Or did everyone just copy someone else's build from the forums?

Is it better to play on a lower difficulty and make your own build (which will inevitably be very sub-optimal and frustrating), or play on a higher difficulty and copy a build?

jackofshadows

Magister
Dumb question:

Did anyone here make their own UR character build based only on in-game information / official documentation?

Is it better to play on a lower difficulty and make your own build (which will inevitably be very sub-optimal and frustrating), or play on a higher difficulty and copy a build?
Depends on whether you yourself like to make new builds and experiment with them or not. If you got at least some RPG background then you absolutely can get through normal/hard blindly even if your build will end up to be indeed, sub-optimal. After you finish the game once you will know most of the skill threshholds and other such stuff so if you like to make builds yourself in general you could try DOM on your own, it's entirely possible. But if you don't like that sort of thing then just look up for builds beforehand/make adjustments. After all, the game is quite big.

I mean I don't really like to experiment with builds, rather tune them as it was for me with card games but I had no choice when Underrail came out. So I had my fun anyway but then when I got back to the game to try the expansion I looked for meta etc and turn DOM on. The experience turned out to be much better for me to tell the truth. I was focused on the game itself and not thinking all the time about starting over. And after that run I familiarised myself enough with all that stuff so I made a few my own builds for playing on DOM. Not to mention hanging out in this very thread helps a lot :)

Just don't go full meta right away, leave at least things beyond the build to explore by yourself.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Dumb question:

The game is piss easy after you figure out the first parts.

Hex

Dumb question:

I just experimented with the hard difficulty. Dominating is possible even without being fully optimized and min-maxed. Just enjoy the game, trial and error is all part of it. Normal is quite easy for the first time and very forgiving. So is hard, but it might require a little bit more thought and meta knowledge.

lukaszek

the determinator
Patron
Dumb question:

i assume that people still watching this thread create their own builds. And keep watching in case someone comes up with something interesting to get back to the game.

Even if you do your own research, you will likely feel that you are wasting your time on normal and restart on higher diff first few hours in. Unless you go completely blind, like not reading feats in advance and plan stats ahead of time i guess?

Trashos

Arcane
I make my own builds. I read others' builds as well to get ideas. Sometimes my builds end up similar to what I have read, sometimes nothing like it. Different builds play differently, and once you are experienced nobody can tell you how you want to play the game.

The fist builds alone.... I have played 4 of them, 3 were very strong, and there are more builds to it as well. There is a crazy amount of good builds you can come up with in this game, and also a crazy amount of bad builds as well.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Point for point, any individual crafting skill provides more value—not only in combat power, but also monetary gain—than any non-crafting skill. Their contribution to combat may be indirect, but without them, your direct offensive skills will be substantially hobbled.
I'd say stealth is stronger than crafting - a build with stealth but no crafting would be overall stronger than the other way around. Temporal manipulation is a strong contender.

Mercantile should net more money in the long run than crafting just from selling reef glider and buying jet skis for cheap. Repair kits are no longer that cheap. Using disassemble to repair items is an exploit and still doesn't make the feat worth taking.

Better, yes, but not 3-5x better—like the classic >2,000 HP shield emitter that I post a screenshot of near the end of most of my playthroughs.
That's no longer possible without power management, which means spending a feat and having 7 INT, much more than just the crafting skill.

Found/bought shields have also been buffed - it's not that uncommon to find efficent shields with around 800 capacity now.

That's not to mention several unique items that are strictly superior to crafted gear or at least provide what crafting cannot - CAU armor, biohazard boots, vathosphore armor, tesla suit, spec ops helmet, trapper hat, red dragon, Balor's hammer, XAL, etc.

Tygrende

Arbiter
In reality the top craftsmen would NOT be of the adventuring type. Being a master craftsman at the pinnacle of what human hands and minds can achieve requires CONSTANT practice in the workshop with hardly any time to dick around high on mushroom bew. As the famous basketball proverb goes, those who stop improving have stopped being good.
There is absolutely NO argument for not having master craftsmen in the game that can for exorbitant prices and a waiting time make you top notch gear for your build. In such a situation the crafting skills would still be valuable to save money but they would not be the be all end all requirement for DOMINATING. Even on hard the lack of crafting is VERY noticable.
This is not true for a lot of what can be considered "crafting" and there are exceptions. If we consider something like modern firearms, a lot of the most influential inventors were also good shooters because it takes a good shooter to know what works and what doesn't. Jerry Miculek for example hold various world records and has also invented several firearm modifications. It doesn't take a lifetime of practice to make a rifle grip, it takes a lifetime of shooting to know what makes a grip good. Kalashnikov had no formal engineering education and did not spent most of his life as a firearm designer prior to the AK. Though Underrail doesn't model that either since there's no relation between combat and crafting skills.

Tigranes

Arcane
For first playthroughs, I'd definitely recommend stealth as the one trick to make life easier. Underrail can be pretty janky and frustrating the first time.

For a Make-your-own experimental build on Hard, no skill is necessary, though you'll likely get the crafting bug for the second playthrough.

I think I'd play with the in-game speed on max (+ button) first time and then speedhack after that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom