Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Final fantasy XIV any good?

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
FFXIV tends to attract a special kind of internet virgin. The community also goes out of its way to appear and sound nice and friendly, it's fucking annoying to see so many people making an effort not to act like the natural cunts they are.
This comment keeps popping up in my head recently and every time all I can think is that it sounds like the FFXIV community is full of Fluent clones.

Ranselknulf

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
lmao
image.png

Are you being intentionally retarded? You're filtering by "Other", which is 25 groups out of the 81 possible.

25 out of 81 is statistically insignificant.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
This comment keeps popping up in my head recently and every time all I can think is that it sounds like the FFXIV community is full of Fluent clones.
Fluent clones, that's pretty much it.

Tried playing it... Yet again, so I could finish the storyline of shadowbringers, but after the first week, I found myself login in less and less, and ended up not renewing my sub.

The experience is even worse now than the last time I tried because 90% of the chat is from former wow players on their FFXIV honeymoon period, saying how much nicer FFXIV is, and how everyone is so nice and how things are much nicer... So much niceness that it makes me sick.

Moonboi

Barely Literate
So was thinking about getting into this game, but not really sure about it. I hear mixed opinions and was wondering what you guys here think of it?

I played the free trial about 1-2 years ago and thought the game was meh at the time. I think I played the monk class. Has the game improved since then or?
Been playing it ever since I quit WoW, haven't looked back since. It's 100% worth playing if you enjoy the RPG aesthetic. Lots of stuff to do, great PvE content, a friendly community and a lot of customization options. The class system and combat are much more in-depth, well-made and enjoyable.

deama

Prophet
So was thinking about getting into this game, but not really sure about it. I hear mixed opinions and was wondering what you guys here think of it?

I played the free trial about 1-2 years ago and thought the game was meh at the time. I think I played the monk class. Has the game improved since then or?
Been playing it ever since I quit WoW, haven't looked back since. It's 100% worth playing if you enjoy the RPG aesthetic. Lots of stuff to do, great PvE content, a friendly community and a lot of customization options. The class system and combat are much more in-depth, well-made and enjoyable.
I have literally tried playing through that game 3-4 times, I even have a friend who I tried playing it with and he himself has tried playing it 3 times, we always give up and it's just not enjoyable at all. On my friend's latest playthrough he forced himself to get to mid-high 30s, but just did not like it still.

I was able to play way more of world of warcraft, even at it's current state.

Codex Year of the Donut
Will it destroy WOW now that Asmogold and cronies are there?
If you're being serious, read my posts in this thread.
Outside of the OK singleplayer story stuff, the game is an absolute mess. It's just a highly polished WoW-clone except even more streamlined and with less customization.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy

The entire MMORPG genre is a dead, cooling star. By 2030, graphical MMORPGs will be in a state similar to that of text MUDs today—the most populous of which are lucky to have 100+ players online simultaneously. Also, the monetization schemes of MUDs make EA's shenanigans look like philanthropy, and the perks are most definitely pay-to-win.

WoW was never killed by one of its own kind, and never will be. It's the lich king of an undead legion.

I'm just glad I got in and played the right ones while the playing was good. I played FFXI starting from the NA launch for a year or so; I played some UO and RO private shards over the years; I played some pre-CU SWG; and most importantly, I played EVE Online from 2006-2012. This graph illustrates why that timing of playing EVE was ideal:

h63abcse3du11.png

Basically, I was able to git gud during the great early years of the game, I got in on the ground floor of some cash grabs (wormhole exploration, etc.), and I was a well heeled veteran player just at the right time to spend years doing small-gang PvP on and off, taking hiatuses as I pleased, and generally enjoying the pinnacle of the MMORPG genre.

Even though my dragon hoard of ISK (around 400bn, after I gave some out to friends and a few Codexers) has no doubt been donkey punched by inflation, and it's been nine whole-ass years, I still have three heavily trained pilots and a lot of assets... though no doubt some ships I left parked somewhere unfortunate have been blown up/stolen.

But I'd never begin playing again, because it's clear that CCP have increased the emphasis on PvE and monetization of same through their cash shop, which they were experimenting with (to much booing) even years before I retired.

Last edited:

Cromwell

Arcane

Thanks to the influx of new players over the last year, which probably has some streamers as reason that tell their audience its the place to be, you have log in queues that are so long that you cant play it if you have anything other to do in your day than sit before the screen. As I said I regularly have queues around 8k and it takes about 15 - 30 minutes for 500 people to pass (sometimes much faster but thats rare). It gets worse by the fact that you often get an error that kicks you out of queue and then waits only a few minutes for you to log back in and keep your place in the queue which means everybody that doesnt see that hes been kicked right away logs back at the end of the queue. They apologized a few times that they cant upgrade the hardware because they simply cant get it right now, if thats true or not is another matter but they apologized for this even before the queues got out of hand with the new add-on, they have officially been trying to up their hardware for over half a year now.

Of cours ethere are servers which dont have these absurdly long queues but thats a small number. So one can assume that they at least have a lot of players that want to play. For comparision, I already got 1,6k queues for months now even at times were the veteran players I knew hardly logged in for a time because they had nothing to do really.

Rusty already said the rest, it is vastly better than wow in most aspects but only in the sense that they execute all the stuff better a themepark mmo wants to do so essentially its the same shit with a different theme. It wont kill WoW but that isnt needed Wow will dilate itself to death, FF is only there to take in the horrified mmofugees which got ptsd from watching the process.

Cromwell

Arcane
Players are currently experiencing extremely long wait times due to the dense concentration of play hours which far exceed our server capacity, especially during the peak times, and so we have decided to temporarily suspend the sale and delivery of FINAL FANTASY XIV Starter Edition and Complete Edition. Additionally, although those with an active subscription are prioritized to log in, Free Trial players are unable to log in outside of late night and early morning hours, and so we will also temporarily suspend new registrations for the Free Trial.

These temporary suspensions will be phased in over the next few days as we work with our retail partners. We will be coordinating with them as swiftly as possible, but please bear in mind that this will be a gradual process.

I think Blizzard wishes it had these kind of problems.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom