Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Realms of the Haunting--Most 90s Game Ever?

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I just finished “Realms of the Haunting,” and given that it has no thread of its own, I thought I should start one to wax poetic on what a bizarre, wonderful, awful, historical oddity of a game this is.

Is there any more 1990s game than this?

It seems to have been conceived as the hottest game of 1995, combining all the best trends of the time: adventure games, full motion video, and Doom style, 2D, first person shooters. But as a testament to just how quickly technology and gaming trends were moving in the 1990s, by the time it was released just under 2 years later, time had already passed it by. By late 1996, Quake and Tomb Raider had already been released, with “Dark Forces 2” just a few months away, and Half Life just over a year away; which must have made RotH look positively dated when it was released in December 1996.

Which is a shame, as this very well could have been one of the best games of 1995 had it been release just a year earlier, and I think, it’s arguably a bit of a missing link between Doom and Thief (at least in terms of level design and puzzles, if not all aspects of gameplay). The game world is highly interactable, with lots of objects to click and use. Levels are also sprawling, labyrinthine, and nearly open world. They rarely close off once you finish them, so if you really wanted to you could walk from one end of the game world to the other. Plus, barring a few tedious, late game, mazes and switch throwing, the puzzles are mostly pretty fun and reminded me a bit of a low-tech “Thief.”

The best part, however, is the plot, which is a completely silly hodge-podge of b-horror films, 90s comic book clichés (there are undertones of 90s Vertigo), and even, in the game’s dimension hoping with a female sidekick, shades of “Dr Who.” Of course, comparing RotH to any of these sources is giving it way too much credit. Its FMV sequences are often leaden and stretch on way too long, suffering from the bad, soap opera, editing technique where the video cuts to super long reaction shots of characters looking pensive after every single thing anyone says. Plus, things get nonsensical fast, and about half way through the game, the FMV sequences mostly just focus on people appearing to tell you what absurd, magical artifact you have to track down next, before disappearing. But, honestly, bad acting, z-grade special effects, and nonsensical plots are the main reason for playing 90s FMV games….so I mean none of this as a criticism.

Unfortunately, the game does show its age in some less enjoyable ways. Combat sucks, enemies tend to have way too many hit points, and strafe is locked to the “.” and “,” keys, which makes it unnecessarily difficult at times. You can outrun most monsters, though, which mitigates this somewhat (I don’t think I could have had the patience to finish the game had I fought every single monster). Likewise, many puzzles come down to pixel hunts, a fact which is made all the more frustrating by the fact that you have to search pixels both above and below you, rather than just on a flat 2D plane (given that it's a 2D engine, I often completely forget that you could look up and down, which got me stuck at a few points as I was missing important items). It also stretches on a bit too long and some of the later mazes and switch throwing puzzles can get tedious (I seriously just gave up and used a map half-way through the brain maze, and even with a map, it still took me like 2 hours to complete).

It’s such a unique, bizarre, product of its times, though, that I had to post about it. Despite its flaws, this is exactly the game I dreamed of making as a kid back in 1995, when my main obsessions were Doom and Sierra/Lucasarts adventure games.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I love RotH. It's such a unique and charming game. Especially the first part in the mansion has awesomely creepy atmosphere. Afterwards it's less horror and more like weird-fantasy, but it's still p.great. I'm always in for some Doom combat (I don't recall it being especially frustrating or hard) and the story is like a good b-horror movie.

BTW you can change keys in DOSBOX and assign those strafe bindings to more appropriate keys.

grudgebringer

RotH is pretty great on its own. Never did manage to finish it though, always got stuck on some puzzles in the midst of dungeons section. Since it's quite open-worldy indeed I quickly got bored running around and seeking for a clue.

And I think that the most 90s game is Cyberia from Cryo.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I never finished this game because one of the CDs was corrupted, it installed fine, but when I had to swap CDs at one point iirc it just crashed. Then I exchanged it and a different CD was corrupted :x

Then I simply returned it, because you could still do that in those days.

iqzulk

Augur
1. In US/Interplay version of the game, you can easily remap controls in the ingame options (it also gives you the option to choose difficulty levels of both combat and puzzles). Moreover, this is also possible for the original UK version of the game, but you would need to edit some configuration files in order to accomplish that. I didn't do it, but there do exist some guides on the Web explaining how to do it. GOG-version of the game is the UK one, but there is a patch for it, which converts it into the US version. I had strafes on A/D, jump on W, duck on S, head down/up on Q/E, turns and forward/backward movement on cursor key, fire on Space. Any time I wasn't actively interacting with the environment, I've kept the pointer strictly in the center of the screen, so there was a very pronounced self-imposed distinction between "combat mode" and "exploration mode" for me, "combat mode" was played strictly from keyboard. I actually didn't have any problems with the controls whatsoever, i.e. it was "just like Doom/DN3D/ShadowWarrior/inserttitlehere". It is actually very well suited for keyboard-only controls in combat due to very extremely minimal usage of verticality.

2. The combat in this game is very unusual due the emphasis being on auto-recharging magical gizmos with cooldowns (4 of 5 of these gizmos are actually absolutely identical combat-wise). If you've just fired one gizmo, switch to another and fire it, while the first one is recharging, then to the third, etc. Basically if you have 2 or more of the gizmos, you are game. Just position the gizmos in the inventory correctly, so they would correspond to the keyboard keys 1 through 6, and then start "1-Space-2-Space-3-Space-...", the quicker the better (all of this - while evading enemy's attacks). First of all, it provides the game's combat with the sense of dynamics, since you are actually doing something at any given moment. Secondly, enemies - screw enemies, bosses! - suddenly start going down in a matter of mere seconds. I would actually say, that, played this way, the game is piss easy even on the highest combat difficulty. Even the last boss went down way too quickly for the amount of wailing there was about that thing on the Web.

3. Dungeon level-design in this game SUCKS ASS.

AngryKobold

Arcane
Dunno what's more 90-ish: FMV hell on 100 CDs or awful pre- rendered 3D.

I prefer FMVs over the latter. All those unnatural renders replacing digitalized 2D drawings. All those nightmarish animations where characters are considered human beings only thanks to suspension of disbelief. Because they look like soap figures and walk like robots. Brrrr. Seriously, that usage of 3D technology was basically a mainstream Prosperland.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just fired up this game myself, remapping the controls using DOSBox's remapper, and getting used to the UI.
First impression was that it reminds me very much about The Legacy: Realm of Terror (even the name is similar) and Uninvited to a lesser degree (since Uninvited is pure a point&click Adventure game).
But I have a feeling RotH is more of a point&click Adventure game than The Legacy was, though. Especially since it's in the Adventure game section (I haven't been in this neighbourhood for many years).

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
But I have a feeling RotH is more of a point&click Adventure game than The Legacy was, though. Especially since it's in the Adventure game section (I haven't been in this neighbourhood for many years).
It's not only more point and click adventure than Legacy, it's more FPS as well. Strange game. Pretty interesting game with all that kabbalah and other jazz, but first Alone in the Dark and Legacy had much better haunted mansions.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So I reached Chapter 3 without restarting and without consulting any walkthroughs. Not bad for me playing an Adventure game, which I usually don't have the patience for.
So far I don't like it as much as Legacy: Realm of Terror. Legacy had more of a Lovecraftian feel with the protagonist being alone to face unspeakable horrors in a sepulchral dungeons. RotH's NPCs are just annoying so far, since the acting is so wooden and the FMVs are so slow (Terra Nova: Strike Force Centauri was actually much better in this regard).

iqzulk

Augur
I dunno, I kinda found RotH's FMVs to be pretty endearing (even though, when playing in 640x480, the aspect ratio of videos was all wrong, since they were rendered for 320x200 and, thus, required aspect correction). Haven't played either Legacy or Terra Nova though. I do have a, kind of, soft spot for "B-movie done right" (like, I absolutely love "After Midnight" (1989), but absolutely hate any and all "Evil Dead"s, save for "Within the Woods" which started the whole thing - if any of that makes any sense) sort of thing though, which, for me, is the case with RotH's videos.

The worst things about RotH, for me, were the pretty shit dungeon level-design from a purely structural standpoint (apart from the first dungeon which is not horrible, but just meh) and the rushed feel of the latter third of the game (not Xenogears-levels rushed, mind you, but still pretty noticeable). Sadly, seemed, like some pretty significant things were either cut from the latter parts of the game altogether, or just horribly mishandled due to time/money shortage or some such.

By the way, the setup of this game seems suspiciously similar (on paper) to that of Hodgson's "House on the Borderland" (which I haven't read yet). Which kinda leads to question(s): is HotB actually similar in its story, tone, whatever, to RotH - and to what extent exactly was the latter actually influenced via the former? Any chance anyone could illuminate me on said issue?

Last edited:

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So I've reached Chapter X and entered Raquia and found the Ring. But when I enter the Tower I'm beset by a mechanical watchdog, which won't die. I assume you have to give him a haunch of meat that is marked on the map, but there seems to be no escape from the courtyard since the gates closed.
So it's seems I've reach a dead man walking (or whatever Adventure game buffs call it) scenario?

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I love this game. It has so much nuance in the lore department, you can revisit it just for that. But the atmosphere is just incredible.

Never knew that a big bunch of video recording had been cut from the final game for budget/time reasons. I wish these guys released it in some form of a remastered version.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
If anyone decides to GOG or Steam (?) it, beware that the last build of this game, I think, has weird color-bit/gamma/brightness problems on default settings and makes those already ugly 8-bit textures look much uglier. Find the patch or version that doesn't have this issue, or maybe just diddle and fiddle with your gamma/brightness settings until it doesn't look like pale piss anymore. I like these things to be looking good out of the box, however.

unseeingeye

Cleric/Mage
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've had this game for a while but just recently started playing it and have been pleasantly surprised to find it is actually enjoyable, despite having features that I tend to dislike.

I used the patch to update it to the US version in order to have in-game access to the difficulty level options and key binding after having tried it in the default settings and it has greatly increased my enthusiasm for the game. As a previous member commented, having the strafe keys set to "," and "." (or "<" and ">") and the arrow keys designated as forward, backward and turning was making it difficult to play, so I changed them to WASD exception I made "A" and "D" the strafing keys and "Q" and "E" the turning keys. I initially considered just remapping the controls within DOSBox but decided to try installing the patch because of the gameplay and adventure difficulty options.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom