Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Commandos-Like Commandos 2 in 2021

Ovg

Cipher
So why not to buy the newly released hd remake:
  • Paying double for more bugs that weren't in the original game.
  • Censored.
  • Will probably do dlc.
  • It's fucking expensive when compared to commandos 2.
  • Why pay someone for not adding anything to a game that fans already did. It's like buying heroes 3 hd. In other words, a retarded choice.

Ok, but what should I do Ovg you faggot?

FIRST OF ALL CTRL+S quicksaves CTRL+L quickloads. You will be doing it a lot. So it's good to remember those.

Steam Version
Works out of the box if you want vanilla experience.

If you want to use mods you have to do a simple operation. First go to the folder where the game is like
H:\Steam\steamapps\common\Commandos 2 Men of Courage
  • Then make a folder and call it backup.
  • Put everything BUT the folder called LEGACY inside it.
  • Now copy the LEGACY folder's contents to the main directory.
  • Set comm2.exe to windows95 compatibility
GOG Version
I don't own it on gog. If the folder structure remains the same do the steps above for mods.

Now for the meat of the post, the mods. Just remember they don't work together. Pick one:

1. Commandos 2 HD Project
  • Consider it both a compatibility patch for newer versions of windows and unofficial patch for the game.
CyberModuled said it made the game skip cutscenes, and he proposed an alternative so:

1b.Widescreen patch

2.Destination Paris
  • It has all missions from commandos 1 to commandos 3. That’s over 500 missions to play.
  • Has some bugs with one commandos 3 mission but otherwise can be played nicely - more info in it's readme.
  • It's a lot harder than base commandos 2 so beware. There's more enemies. There's less items. All in all, if commandos 2 was too easy for you or you want to really test your patientece/planning skills, go for it.
  • They did some bugfixing.
  • Also, it too supports more resolutions up to whatever your desktop resolution is. At least it works in 1920x1080 on my side.
  • You can play coop with friends. Just remember. Quickload button doesn't work but the keyboard shortcut ctrl+l does.
  • The mod is quite big though. Like big. If your internet bandwith is limited do plan ahead somehow.

Destination Paris
Installation process is explained on the moddb page. BUT BEFORE YOU INSTALL RUN comm2.exe FIRST. The game needs to process some data or some shit or things might go sideways. Then when you install Destination Paris 2.0, patch 2.1, 2.2 and 2.3 just set Comm2P.exe compatibility to windows 95. Only launch the game through Comm2P.exe as the other one is not injected with modded code.

One more note. Some anti-virus programs may flag Comm2P.exe as a virus or a trojan. According to users on revora forums, the premier site for commandos fans, it's not. So it's safe to ignore the warning.

ADDENDUM
This is what your folder should look like and how you should have set compatibility to windows95

xGZWRnS.png

Last edited:

Ovg

Cipher
Ah sorry. It included a mod too so I wasn’t sure where to post it. Mods can move or delete this thread then please?

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Personally I'm not a fan of HD but maybe I just got really unlucky with it. For some reason when I tried using HD, the pre-rendered cutscenes don't work at all and just skip. Sucks on its own but manageable since I can watch them elsewhere. Bigger issue were multiple occasions when I manually saved, the save would corrupt, crash the game, and then be unloadable when booting it back up. Quicksaved like a mad man and that has its own save slot so I always had a backup but was annoying as hell because it really did start to feel like Russian Roulette at times with something as simple as a manual save. Not a fan of the replaced assets for the menus either as minor as that is (What can I say? Original just looks cooler to me).

I'd just suggest using the .exe patches for resolutions you can find here. Unfortunately, anything about 1440x900 comes with the consequence of visual issues like this whenever you're moving the camera around the map. Personally though, I think the resolution of 1440x900 is more than enough and the patch doesn't stretch to your max resolution so it's black bars for anything it's not filling up space wise. PrintScreen didn't capture the bars themselves, but it more or less looked like this, using the Burma level as an example.

8ei13g.png

Ovg

Cipher
Strange. It never happened on my end. Well, I edited the OP to add that link.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
The censoring alone kept me from even considering C2 2020-21 Edition but IIRC I used that HD Mod on the old GOG/Steam version and there were either issues with the install or bugs in widescreen so I cried, "Phuckit! On to something else."

Üstad

Arcane
How do original commandos and commandos 2(not the remastered ones) hold up gameplay wise? Is it buggy, does it worth buying those even if I don't care about nostagia?

Üstad

Arcane
Okay so I installed the gog version, I downloaded the resolution path thingy from here:

https://modelrail.otenko.com/electronics/commandos-behind-enemy-lines-resolution-fix

But when I play with 1980x1080 resolution tearing occurs on edge of the map since it tries to load empty parts of the map. The solution I found is simply zooming in until tearing stops. And gameplay seems slow, I assume it's because game speed is tied to FPS so so at higher FPS it would be unplayable. Just in case other codexians run in to same problems.

If anyone thinks there is something I should know feel free to reply.

std::namespace

Gameplay in Commandos consists of finding the places where to spend the sniper ammo on. Then you stand on a the corner, select all and mash shoot.

Commandos 2 is a trivial adventure game.

The first one is worth trying for a game historian.

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Gameplay in Commandos consists of finding the places where to spend the sniper ammo on. Then you stand on a the corner, select all and mash shoot.

Commandos 2 is a trivial adventure game.

The first one is worth trying for a game historian.
Dumbest thing i've read all year on this forum.

Üstad

Arcane
Commandos 1 UI and controls are very clunky. Should I install Destination for Paris mod for Commandos 2, which appereantly includes Commandos 1 missions and play that instead? If no, please tell me why.

Jigby

Augur
It's not the authoritative version. [/Lilura]

You wouldn't want to play BG in the NWN engine - I think these days even TuTu is looked down upon. I'm not sure what you mean by clunky interface... the low frame rate? That's indeed unfortunate, you kind of wish somebody would divorce the game logic from rendering, pretty much every Commandos-like from that era suffers from it. Other than that, just learn the hotkeys and roll with it.

Honstely looks awful to me. I have to admit though that I loved how the guy shot by the sniper in the trailer instantly seems to shit a big concentric puddle of blood on the ground at his feet - why does nobody take heed of physically proper spilling of blood? Myth managed this back in 1997. Still there are also positive aspects, for example the fact that the Ju-52 on one of the screenshots wears the correct insignia. Will they have the balls to release the game this way after the censorship-idiocy they pulled off with their abominable "HD"-version of Commandos 2?

Üstad

Arcane
Other than that, just learn the hotkeys and roll with it.
Well the game does a terrible job teaching the hotkeys, I need to check the old school manual every now and then. I like the manual don't get me wrong, I just don't like the neccesity of constantly checking it out.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom