Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Generic-Giant-Spider

From the mastermind that brought you... Demon's Souls... Dark Souls... Dark Souls 2 (depending on if the fanbase likes it today, if not then ignore this entry)... Bloodborne... Dark Souls 3... Sekiro...

Comes the same fucking game you've been playing for over a decade now.

It's basically the Mona Lisa, but beautiful.
- Gamespot

Forty years. Forty years has gaming been leading up to this moment.
- Sports Illustrated

Where was I when Elden Ring was announced? Holding my freshly born black baby. Heard the news, dropped it on its head, severely retarded now, but that's the price you pay as a gamer. That's the sacrifice I make for Herr Miyazaki
- RPG Codex member Thor Kaufman

I'm- I- ah- I can't believe it's happening, I'm gonna fucking kill myself to prove it's not real. Is this real? Is this happening? Oh my God.
- Former revered gaming idol, current day rapist Chris Avellone

Miyazaki...

George R R Martin...

Tom Hanks...

John Romero's Elden Ring.

"This time, it's personal."

今回は個人的な白人です
Konkai wa kojin-tekina hakujindesu

February 2022.

Get it.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
No matter what you guys say, it's dispiriting that these guys are clearly not pushing the envelope even a little bit here, considering all the amazing innovations that the Souls series brought.

Mortmal

Arcane
Day one purchase as well, even in the case its not as great as dark souls, there's nothing to play nothing to look forward , so i want it now too. What i'd like to know is if the difficulty level is similar , or if its easier so i can let the nephew play this one.

wahrk

Learned
can you believe the new From game looks like Dark Souls

42dddp.jpg

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I expected it to look like a new intellectual property, not like a lazy asset flip with zero new ideas.
You can only blame yourself for having set unreasonable expectations.

It was clear from the start that this was going to be Dark Souls 4 under a different name. They just wanted to build a world without being restrained by the lore already established by the series, and that's what they did.

Anyone excited for this has no right to criticize anyone who buys CoD/FIFA/Madden/Ubishit year in year out.
What kind of argument is this supposed to be?

The ideas behind ER might be rehashed (as they have been every single time after Demon's Souls), but the game still comes with new content. And, apparently, people are starved for this kind of content. Everyone is out there buying souls clones, at least with ER you know you're buying an Official Clone™. The gameplay of the previous entries is fun and works, what's wrong with wanting more of the same?

ADL

Prophet
Don't know how I feel about the open world. Generally I don't like them and it looks a bit empty but at least it's not some Skyrim bullshit where your eyes are fixed on the compass while trying to avoid trees and rocks on your way to the quest marker.

It's Dark Souls 4 asset reuse and all. It does look pretty though. Sure, I'll buy it whatever.

Ivan

Arcane
-Love the greater emphasis on exploration and scouting of areas. I can definitely see myself asking myself: "I wonder if I can get there by jumping from over here"

-I do hope there are enough open world interactions so it doesn't feel like going from point of interest to point of interest

-the color palette is striking, lighting looks great, I loved the autumnal scene

-combat seems to be more of the same, with each weapon having more unique weapon arts

-overall, I'm not over the moon, but it does look like this will be like Demon Souls but with each region interconnected

Child of Malkav

Erudite
So far they've only showed one region. Apparently there's 6 including a snowy one. If every region is as big as this one, complete with underground tunnels, mines, caves, catacombs etc. then fun times on the horizon I spy.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Same way they're gonna explain the grace and the golden light and all that. Maybe the Tarnished can manipulate grace once they have some of it and can manifest it in various ways.

Edit: you don't need a lore deep dive video on every single thing. "My character took a step forward, what does it mean? Help me Vaati!"

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Same way they're gonna explain the grace and the golden light and all that. Maybe the Tarnished can manipulate grace once they have some of it and can manifest it in various ways.

Edit: you don't need a lore deep dive video on every single thing. "My character took a step forward, what does it mean? Help me Vaati!"

It's a staple of the series, everything in-game has some "lore-explanation". This magical laser thing just makes no sense to me. If I can project random laser on the ground for all to see, why can't I just teleport there?

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Imagine when Elden Ring comes out you're thinking: "What's the best open-world RPG released in the last decade?"

And your only fucking answer will NOT be "haha Skyrim haha", because it would have been MORE than 10 years. Won't be Dark Souls either...

It would be... Kenshi.

Do you feel old, depressed and at the end of your wits yet, random RPG player?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom