Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Black Angel

Arcane
Are you saying there's nothing wrong with releasing literally the exact same game for nth times?

If each iteration is greater or on the same level as the previous one then I don't see a problem.
Indeed, which is why circa 2009 Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, Bloodborne, and Sekiro are the only Fromsoft games that matters in recent times

:troll:

But seriously, I still think they should stick to making new stuff, while stick to their own strength. Hearing people saying ER is literal Dark Souls 4 disheartened me slightly, but I'd hold on to From's promise of taking what they've learned from Sekiro and marries it with RPG mechanics of Souls....

.....in an open-world :mixedemotions:

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
... some shit ...
a3un7qok8lx71.png

So... if those hands were at the edges of the seal, this image is very goatse.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's nothing wrong with wanting more of the same, just don't pretend you're superior to fags who buy yearly rehash franchises and low effort shovelware like ubisoft games.
How deranged do you have to be to think that it's possible to define a hierarchy of human beings based on the videogames they play, of all things? Wait, do YOU think that you, as a person who played the first souls (but won't play the next ones), are somehow superior to "fags who buy yearly rehash franchises and low effort shovelware like ubisoft games"? Are you delusional?

Why do you people have to fall for internet memes like "bullying kids who buy COD every year" and think that they actually apply to real life?

If I enjoy a videogame series, of course I'm going to buy its new installments. Just like I'm doing now with FS games. Just like I did in the past when AC games were still enjoyable to me. And just like a did in the past with FIFA when I still had pals to play those games with on a daily basis.

Silva

Arcane
Fifa is shit. PES rules.

Anyway, serious now, speaking as a From fan, I'm not impressed. Everything feels more generic, both from a aesthetics and gameplay POV, which is weird because FS games felt anything but generic thus far. At least in the "main line" of Demon > DS1 > BB > Sekiro , every game felt unique and exotic. Not the case here, I could confund this for Kingdoms of Amalur or Dragons Dogma or whatever fantasy generic stuff. There was a certain "subdueness" in the classics that's absent here. Like the suits above wanted to catter to a wider audience or and asked "more colors, more Dragons, more Zelda" or something.

That said, this being From it will be probably a better game than 90% of what's out there and we'll play it anyway, warts and all.

Last edited:

Black Angel

Arcane
Why do you people have to fall for internet memes like "bullying kids who buy COD every year" and think that they actually apply to real life?
Huh? I thought Codex is too hardcore to think it's okay to buy the exact same thing over and over again? Aren't this corner of the internet think it's not okay for developers to just keep making essentially the exact same game for 10+ years?

Memes and shitposts aside, don't you at least recognize the difference between playing the exact same damn thing, versus playing games of the same genre? Think of how there exists a group of people who bought the new iPhones every year. You can say the blame is equally on Apple, but they wouldn't be doing what they're doing if not for it being there's where the money is. Why do you think Bethesda stagnates post-Morrowind, and in fact on a downward trend of constantly dumbing down their products for maximum profits possible?

Truth be told, it's 2:30 AM here, and my mind's in shambles, so I couldn't put it into better words right now. But hopefully you get what I meant; I'm not one to care where one spends their money on, but I'd care when it affects the things I genuinely love, directly or not. Still, Scamco is still the publisher here, so call me a From fanboy but I'd give them the benefit of a doubt if and when there are things that goes wrong from what I expected of them.

I think I uncovered some pattern here:

Codex in 2013:

Man, I wish From would make a sequel to Dark Souls. I would give my left ball for another rolling simulator in bleak dark fantasy setting.

Codex in 2016(after playing 5 Soulslike titles in 7 years):

Man, I wish From would stop making the same game over and over again. Why cant they try something different than dark fantasy action rpg.

Codex in 2019, after Sekiro getting GOTY awards and being loved by both casuals and hardcore fans:

Man, I wish From would make another Soulslike game. Sekiro was alright even though I could not learn new mechanics for shit. I wish I could play again medieval knight simulator with different weapons, armors and summons to carry my ass.

Codex in 2022 after playing ER:

Man, I wish From would try something new. They are creatively bankrupt and ER is just Dark Souls 4 with jumping and mount in open world setting. This fuckers are done(… game sells +10 million units and wins all possible GOTY awards)

Codex in 2025 after playing Froms new IP game:

Man, I wish From would just get back to what they do best. I would take another Souls game over this new action game in Sci-Fi setting with guns, cosmic horrors and derelict space ships. I just want to cosplay Guts for 5th time…

You fuckers need to understand that From Soft was never the innovators, their fanboys held them for. They make games their autistic leader Miyahaki loves to play and he probably couldn’t give any less of a fuck for inventing the wheel again in action rpgs genre.

Anyway this game has to run on the same archaic hardware as Dark Souls 3 and yet looks 10 times better:

This is how you do a map if you want to incentive players to explore the world and fill out the blank spots. Compare it to the Witcher’s 3 marker on top of the marker with worthless shit to collect.

0kEVsOE.jpg

My butt is ready :d1p::d1p::d1p:

DemonKing

Arcane
That looked amazing, especially the spell effects (Dragon Head Arms rock) and the bosses as intimidating as ever.

Personally, I don't give a damn if it turns out to be just DS4 with jumping and a magical unicorn mount:

OIP.CPJIV7hbagTXd7ZA4gvCCgHaEK

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
When I heard about the golden trail that shows the way I thought it would be a full breadcrumb all the way to a boss or dungeon. I don't mind the one shown at all. It looks like it only gives you a direction to look for the next main dungeon.

Map wasn't plagued by glowing CONTENT HERE icons, also nice.

The castle/dungeon bit looked the most fun. I suspect time in the open world will be a lot of running/stealthing past enemies to look for entrances to dungeons or a boss.

I hope crafting/looking for materials isn't mandatory.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
The open world looks great, hopefully it will improve the games pacing by being somewhat more meditative and less combat heavy. It will be nice to have actual stealth in Dark Souls 4 and the level design looks great as usual.

Unfortunately it uses the same animations and engine as ds3, so it'll probably be a super fast paced roll spamming game vs bosses with 30 hit combos again. Hope they prove me wrong.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom