Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Codexian Game Development Thread

Quilty

Magister

A small project inspired by Blade Runner I've been working on. Haven't had time lately to dedicate significant efforts to my main project, so this is the best I can do currently.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Implemented flight controls (and anti-gravitational Chinese takeout).

How is this going to work? It's not like there are any control surfaces or aero forces on a flying car, except for drag. Looks very atmospheric though.

Quilty

Magister
Implemented flight controls (and anti-gravitational Chinese takeout).

How is this going to work? It's not like there are any control surfaces or aero forces on a flying car, except for drag. Looks very atmospheric though.

In a world of perpetual rain and towering black monoliths, the mechanics of flight are low on anyone's list of concerns.

Developer
Content I recently added to Redaxium.

vLW95j9.png

The person is a trader who accepts bodyparts for candy.

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

vLW95j9.png

Nice pumpkins. Have you updated the UI too since your last post?

I don't know if you're specifically going for weirdness over ease of "reading" the scene, but I think the jack-o-lanterns would be easier to see if the insides were yellow or illuminated somehow.

Developer

vLW95j9.png

Nice pumpkins. Have you updated the UI too since your last post?

I don't know if you're specifically going for weirdness over ease of "reading" the scene, but I think the jack-o-lanterns would be easier to see if the insides were yellow or illuminated somehow.

Hey thanks, I don't recall what my last post in this thread was. But I moved away from that metallic messy GUI I had on launch day.

You're probably right about the inside of the jackolantern not being very lanterny. Damn. Maybe next Halloween i'll do a bettter job.

Unforutnately my process to push out update for the game is very long. It makes minor touchups super inefficient to bother with.

bionicman

Liturgist
I cannot finish developing my games, I always have new ideas :negative:

Do not despair, I've had this same problem, but, in my opinion, it's actually a good thing because shitty ideas result in shitty games.

Some (obvious) suggestions to solve this:
- Focus on the idea part until you feel it is just right before moving on to programming etc, as it will waste your time if your concept is unsound.
- Focus on game projects which you and/or your team can develop a prototype for in a relatively short and manageable span of time. That way you don't waste too much time on development itself and can figure out whether the idea works or not in practice (since a lot of ideas you don't know whether they work or not until the implementation itself).

Developer
I cannot finish developing my games, I always have new ideas :negative:

I have the same problem. Like Sonic I like to go fast, and speed-run game development, rather than do it right.
In a petersonian sense it's to elevate my game's sexual market place value.

I'm a beta-only developer.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
im gonna try creating something simple in godot. looks very promising (the tool that is, i havent started anything yet)

anyone tried it?

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer
im gonna try creating something simple in godot. looks very promising (the tool that is, i havent started anything yet)

anyone tried it?

Yeah, very easy to use compared to other game engines. Extremely powerful for 2D games. Lackluster for 3D games but they're working on it

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

anyone tried it?
Godot is fantastic. I played with it just a bit, but docs are good, internal scripting language is really nice, and if you know python it just works. Being able to easily write parts of logic in c++ and plug that in is good as well.

Arbaces

Novice

anyone tried it?
Godot is alright. You have to get used to thinking in terms of the built in nodes, but once you have them down it's great for rapidly prototyping ideas. The scripting language is cleanly designed and easy to pick up. It has some heavy limitations for 3D right now. The biggest one is major stutter due to lazy shader compilation. Even their demo projects suffer BADLY from it You can hack a workaround by rendering objects with every shader you will use offscreen at startup, but that's self-evidently absurd and wastes dev-time.

I found Godot 3 almost unusable for VR because of that and the lack of multiview extensions. The team jumped the gun presenting version 3 as ready for 3D use; just because it makes nice looking screenshots with its fancy PBR renderer doesn't mean it will be good for a game. Multiplayer doesn't fare much better than 3D: there's no sandboxing on the scripting language, and you're on your own if you need more complex netcode. If you're making a singleplayer 2D game, then I highly recommend it. If not, weigh your options carefully. Hopefully version 4 will be better.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
thanks for the replies, all.

it would have been fun to try something 3D, but I'll hold off on it until they've improved it. 2D it is

as for the scripting part, since I use C# professionally in my work, I'll try hooking up VS Code

Nathaniel3W

Rockwell Studios
Patron
Developer
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!

it would have been fun to try something 3D, but I'll hold off on it until they've improved it. 2D it is

as for the scripting part, since I use C# professionally in my work, I'll try hooking up VS Code
If you want to make a 3D game, and you're most comfortable in C#, it sounds like Unity would be a natural fit for you.

PrettyDeadman

You can use c# with godot.

Tavernking

Don't believe his lies
Developer

You can use c# with godot.

Yeah it's great. I'm more comfortable using c# but sometimes gdscript (Godot's language, similar to python) is just easier for the job. You can use both c# and gdscript in the same project seamlessly and they integrate with no problem at all. A good example is that my game is mostly written in c#, but I lazily just got a gdscript inventory tutorial's source code and plopped it into my project and it all works together no problem.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
IOR7Ce0.jpg

Haven't done much gamedev lately since i was busy with other stuff, but i decided to spend a bit of time getting Little Immersive Engine running under Linux ,so i implemented the OpenGL context and viewport backends for X11/Gtk. It was surprisingly easier (and less hacky - no hidden windows, etc like in Windows :-P) than i expected. Fullscreen toggle doesn't work at the moment though, but shouldn't be hard to fix.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
While "perf" in Linux doesn't show nice callstacks like the profiler i wrote for Windows (i need to port that to Linux too) it can show statistics down to instruction level, which was helpful to do some CPU optimizations. Here is a quick before and after using an 130m x 130m world with around 76000 objects (this isn't big enough for something like a big seamless open world game but it is big enough for level-based games - if anything i remember reading that all the levels of Thief 2 combined would fit in a 160m x 160m area :-P though i never really tried to calculate it myself):

OiI8nYk.jpg

Actually the right side is now GPU limited, if i disable MSAA it goes at ~400 fps, so it could be an almost 10x improvement. Though i didn't measure a "before" without MSAA and even if it is CPU limited there is still a GPU overhead. Still a neat speed up.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom