Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Black Angel

Arcane
Well, I call bullshit on Sekiro being a rhythm game.

Well, it is though... :M
So does all the Soulsborne games, but for some reason no one complains +M

In fact, since literally every games in existence are about pressing buttons in some vague pattern of timing, all games are rhythm games :dance:

Zlaja

Arcane
They proved themselves going from (Demon's Souls in bracket since I haven't personally play it), to Dark Souls 1, to Bloodborne, and to Sekiro. It's making sequels where they're weak right now (haven't played anything they made pre-Demon's Souls so I wouldn't know here), but making new stuff? That's what they're best at

Well, that's the thing, this isn't really new stuff. It's Dark Souls 4. That's why some of us are dissapointed. We don't criticize this because we don't like From games in general.

And I wonder how many of the people who bitch about it now will end up playing it 10 times more than me

You sound like a Bethesda fanboy.

Just name good games that are worth playing or more promising than Elden Ring.

Elex 2. :obviously:

Jinn

Arcane

I agree that ELEX 2 is one to look forward to, but maybe not the best example to support the argument "we've seen it before, why don't they try something more different." Also a big reason why I'm never disappointed to see a developer I like making very similar games with alterations here or there.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well, I call bullshit on Sekiro being a rhythm game.

Well, it is though... :M
So does all the Soulsborne games, but for some reason no one complains +M

Dark Souls can be beat with Iron Skin and RTSR & any other ring, preferably Wolf or BTSR.

The only people that cannot see what Dark Souls is, are the same ones that skip the tutorial. Or didn't read the manual to know what Humanities do before they boot the game.

Silva

Arcane
Black Angel , easy boy, easy.

I didn't kick Sekiro as I loved my time with it and eve finished twice. I was just tying to reflect on why it never grabbed me by the collar and made me replay it half a dozen times straight like other Souls, and part of the problem in my view is the combat. It's not even exploration in my case as I found the jumping and flinging around like ninja Spiderman really cool.

The problem with its combat is that it's too narrow with it's "rhythm quality". See I don't deny the other Souls games are also rhythmical in a way, they are, but Sekiro does it to a degree that feels much more constraining and "Simon says". While the average Souls is more open-ended in comparison (even BB).

Zlaja

Arcane
I agree that ELEX 2 is one to look forward to, but maybe not the best example to support the argument "we've seen it before, why don't they try something more different." Also a big reason why I'm never disappointed to see a developer I like making very similar games with alterations here or there.

I see your point, but unlike From Software, Piranha Bytes have no real capability of creating something that's both good and very different. They just don't. That's why I'm dissapointed in From. They CAN do both.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
starting classes. for me it's bloody wolf. even if it sucks.

FDb5CglXsAMXvhG

FDb5ByrWUAMR8LR

edit: Silva is retarded. who else?

Last edited:

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
Classes look pretty great. It's definitely the Champion for me.

Black Angel

Arcane
They proved themselves going from (Demon's Souls in bracket since I haven't personally play it), to Dark Souls 1, to Bloodborne, and to Sekiro. It's making sequels where they're weak right now (haven't played anything they made pre-Demon's Souls so I wouldn't know here), but making new stuff? That's what they're best at

Well, that's the thing, this isn't really new stuff. It's Dark Souls 4. That's why some of us are dissapointed. We don't criticize this because we don't like From games in general.
It seems I haven't made myself quite clear yet; I never proclaimed that ER is going to be The New Stuff™. I acknowledged that ER is probably highly likely going to be similar to Souls(borne) in many places, but the part that interests me the most are them saying that they want to use what they learned from Sekiro, and fit it into the action-RPG framework of Soulsborne. That in and of itself is worth looking forward to, no? Even though the skin and sound might be the exact same as Soulsborne?

Again, I said all this because I haven't seen any of the videos, and I've purposefully skipped anything talking about the game into details. It's ridiculous to ask them to reinvent the wheel every time, but I do understand the desire to see them do something different from Souls, skin or not. In fact, I preach to that choir.

I am utterly disgusted at Souls junkie seemingly having orgasms at the mere thoughts of playing a Dark Souls 4, though. Especially those who also dissed Sekiro and even Bloodborne for not being a Souls game.

Dark Souls can be beat with Iron Skin and RTSR & any other ring, preferably Wolf or BTSR.

The only people that cannot see what Dark Souls is, are the same ones that skip the tutorial. Or didn't read the manual to know what Humanities do before they boot the game.
Okay? But I'm not sure what that has to do with my....retort... to a retort...

The problem with its combat is that it's too narrow with it's "rhythm quality". See I don't deny the other Souls games are also rhythmical in a way, they are, but Sekiro does it to a degree that feels much more constraining and "Simon says". While the average Souls (even BB) is more open-ended in comparison.
That's alright, but like I said, I think most people criticized Sekiro for the wrong reasons. The way I see it, people complained that you're essentially limited to playing only one RPG build archetype in Sekiro, and that's of a Shinobi/Ninja/Thief build, whereas if it's like Souls then you would have access to magic or shield. And frankly, that's retarded for expecting another RPG when the devs and publishers clearly stated they aren't even making an action-RPG, and even more retarded to try and play it like it's a Souls game or even a Souls-like (yuck, I hate this word with a passion).

But I'd say it would be nice to see Sekiro's gameplay mechanics retrofitted into an (action)RPG framework, like Souls, and maybe even have them expand further into allowing both Fighter and Mage build archetype to have their own gameplay dynamics. The one action-RPG I've played that allows for different gameplay dynamics based on your build choices would be Dragon's Dogma,
where each vocations has their own fighting style in combat instead of a mostly one-size-fits-all a la Soulsborne. Fighter uses shields, Warrior goes Berserk-style (RIP Miura-sensei) two-handed bonker, Strider (DD's Thief) use light archery and climbing big monster bosses (and climbing is not exclusive to this class, which is nice), Ranger is essentially a sniper, Mage are support and healer oriented, while Sorcerer wields basically nukes. And then there are hybrid vocations, like an Assassin who combines Fighter and Strider dynamics, can combine their weapons and got unique abilities based around these. Mystic Knight, a hybrid between Fighter and Mage, is basically Shield Hero, or Paladin in another sense of word. Finally, Magick Archer, pretty self-explanatory, an archer with access to elemental magical arrows and shit.

Yes, this is my attempt to get you to play Dragon's Dogma, Silva :P

ADL

Prophet
Yeah don't pay attention to the "classes" in the network tests. They're just loadouts to test out different equipment and playstyles.

Silva

Arcane
All the edgelords can eat my ass. This looks at least as good as any of the Souls games if not significantly better.
Reality check. Look fast to the image below and say if your dick get hard:

PROJECT BEAST
images

See? Your dick don't lie, as small as it is. THAT is hype worthy stuff. :obviously:

Zariusz

Arbiter
Enchanted Knight looks like if they took Dragonblood knight armor (or smt like that i dont remember) from DS2/DS3, put some clothes on it and called it a day.

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
ss_25cd489871907387c1b915022a96b196661b6e17.1920x1080.jpg

Reminder that while we ride and fight on our horse on the sunset getting a Murakumo drop, a lot of losers will be here complaining about stuff.

Have pity on them.

lametta

Educated
didnt want to get spoiled but couldnt help myself and watched some of the gameplay.

Somehow mage class on horseback seems to be much easier than melee vs bosses....

Anyhow even if this is just dark skuls but openworld no one can blame from soft for not doing different games (see bloodborne and sekiro)
meanwhile ppl buy far cry 6 and assasins creed 13 for years.

Ezekiel

Arcane
starting classes. for me it's bloody wolf. even if it sucks.

y3y8fg41wsx71.jpg

Prophet design seems based on our friend below.

wheel-skeleton-pruld.gif

I'm not sure. Probably not much different for the prophet up there from Christians in the Middle Ages flogging themselves or carrying heavy crosses or adorning their heads with thorns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom