Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPGs classified by levels of boredom.

Ryzer

Prophet
Vatnik
In this thread, we categorize RPGs by how boring they are. It doesn't mean that you hate the game, I want you to describe the level of boredom you felt while playing.
Overwhelmingly boring:
  • Pillars of eternity 1/2
  • The Outer Worlds (I don't think I need to explain why)
  • Planescape Torment
  • Morrowind
  • Fallout 3/4
Very boring:
  • Divinity original sin games
  • Dragon age games
  • Skyrim / Oblivion / Daggerfall
  • Mount and Blade
  • The Witcher 3
  • Fallout 2
Tiresome:
  • Arena
  • Fallout 1
  • Deus Ex MD/ 1/ invisible war
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Wizardry 7 at the beginning
  • Ultima games
  • Mass effect games
  • The Witcher 1/2
Never felt bored:
  • Jagged alliance 1/2
  • Dark Souls 1
  • Dragon's Dogma

Last edited:
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
I actually found both JA2 and Dragon's Dogma to be boring in some places. JA2 has too many similar sectors filled with very similar enemies. Some more variety would make mid-game much more enjoyable. Getting around in Dragon's Dogma took too long and shitmobs were way too bullet-spongy.

Tihskael

Learned
I thought the only kind of RPG was the overwhelmingly boring kind. That is what I actually find appealing about the genre.

Lemming42

Arcane
All the new IE-style games feel very boring to me. Pillars of Eternity is aptly named, because ten minutes of playing it feels like a fucking eternity. The plots are terrible in all the ones I've played too, somehow managing to be simultaneously very thin and barely-there and yet incredibly intrusive to the player as you're forced to read fifty paragraphs of dull text per minute.

Pathfinder is aptly named too because you FIND the installation PATH and click delete folder. Same problems, with even dorkier companions than PoE.

Last edited:

Shaki

Arbiter
Very good and valuable thread, we need more threads like this, if Codex want to become a serious RPG gaming medium in the current market. Great work OP keep it up.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Most modern and semi-modern RPGs that I’ve played are boring as fuck (and I’ve little doubt those I haven’t played are as well). Witcher 3, Cyberpunk 2077, Fallout 3&4 and Oblivion topping the list. But do RPG wanna-be’s like those count?
(don’t answer, I don’t really care)

Generic-Giant-Spider

Based list.

Dragon's Dogma alone crunches all those tiresome/boring/overwhelmingly boring trashcan RPGs. I'd put New Vegas a tier down, personally. Storyfag games should be burnt at the stake especially. I'd have put Dark Souls 2 over DS1 but all in all, a good list. People that play video games to "talk through problems" won't like it but they're not even gamers and five stages below human in my books.

You got a lot of promise on this site, yungblud.

Ysaye

Arbiter
I think this is particularly relevant at this point:

"So all people are called boring - the word boring itself can easily refer to someone who bores others as to someone who bores themself. Those who bore others are the crowd, the mass, the common run of humanity in general. Those who bore themselves are the few, the elite; and the wonder of it is this, that those who do not bore themselves amuse others. Those who do not bore themselves are generally speaking the industrious people of the world, which is precisely why these are the most boring and most intolerable of all."

Either/Or - (Soren Kierkegaard 1843)

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I think most gamers have some biological need to structure things, or are OCD, and the world of gaming owes itself to servicing/exploiting that need. Knowingly or not. They provide a sort of electronic stress toy for peoples brains, disguised as an RPG, space game, or whatever. It's not every game, but a lot. People like blasting the zombies with their fireball routine and looting the gold. Over and over and over. Or connecting the coal conveyor belts to the mining setup and repeating it 10000 times. Or buying space solar panels and flying to another space station to sell at a profit.

Not all games are repetitive and it's not necessarily bad when they are, but to me there's way too much of it going on and I wish people expected better. Also grind for me is something that has an age limit of about 28 or whatever. I did it in a few games is my point, but whenever I'm faced with it now I just play something else or cheat. I'm too old to care about beating a game because I've beaten far better. Gimme a great 10 hour game, no more 60 hours of fedex quests. Also the job of what people now call the "User Experience", needs to be taken out of the hands of programmers. They have proven themselves unfit for the role and should go back to typing code and do what they are told by more visually minded people. Maybe then when I want to cancel the order of 50 space ships I wont have to click the tiny red x 50 times.

TLDR: I put all of gaming in "Overwhelmingly boring" except for like 10 games.

vazha

Arcane
I was going to low key admonish you all for bullying the new kid, but fucker's gone and found PS:T and Morrowind overwhelmingly boring, so fuck him / her/ it / xir / whatever new shit they go by.
Apologies for the foul language though. Bad form, that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom