Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

curds

Magister
I personally I don't care too much about whether they "innovate" on the gameplay or recycle assets, as long as the game is good, and all of From's games for the last ten years have been good, despite being quite similar.

People on this site gladly play through the 15 or so Gold Box games and hundreds of FRUA modules, or Wiz 1-5 and their numerous clones, so I don't see how it's much different.

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
As many other people have stated, I fail to see why the fact the Elden Ring takes inspiration from all the previous games is now an issue.

This has been From's MO for decades - King's Field, Armored Core etc. all have been iterative in their design, while also introducing new mechanics that then became staples of their respective franchises if they were found to be well received. Might as well bitch that Armored Core: For Answers is shit because it's the 13th AC game they made, but we all know that would be a blatant lie.

My main concern with Elden Ring is if From will be able to populate the gameworld with meaningful content, since they have a history of rushed development, half-baked features and axed content. Then again, Elden Ring has been in the proverbial oven for a while, so hopefully this has given left them with ample time to properly implement stealth and the open-world, while also avoiding the pitfalls of Dark Souls 2.

Generic-Giant-Spider

I hope you cocksuckers carry this same blind faith when Godd Todd Howard unleashes his latest Gamebryo mastapeece.

Silverfish

Arbiter
You've bought the same game since 2009.

Actually, it'd be an improvement if that were the case. The issue I've got with ER isn't solely that it's "Ubisoft Presents: Dark Souls, Again" (I like Mega Man, and those're 100x worse about that shit), but that DS and its derivatives have been consistently rotten at iterating on Demon's Souls' formula, with good changes being dropped arbitrarily, and shit decisions sticking around in perpetuity. So it's not just "aw man, there's nothing new here", it's "aw man, there's nothing new here and what was brought back hasn't been refined."

Wunderbar

Arcane
This has been From's MO for decades - King's Field, Armored Core etc. all have been iterative in their design
they didn't really iterate on Souls formula, the series is full of great features/QOL improvements that were dropped for absolutely no reason.

Ezekiel

Arcane
My dream once was for Miyazaki to take inspiration from the other Miyazaki's Nausicaa manga (as well as The Journey of Shuna) by making a fantasy science fiction game set in the far distant future. Elements of medieval times and ancient city ruins swallowed by sand and weird overgrowth/fungi. There were moments in the original Dark Souls that reminded me of the manga, like Ash Lake. But any setting but more medieval fantasy would have been appreciated.

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
As many other people have stated, I fail to see why the fact the Elden Ring takes inspiration from all the previous games is now an issue.

It needs to take more of the right inspiration from predecessors while not rehashing too much of the blander, repetitive bits. Boss design has been more and more turned into the same action archetype (following Artorias of the Abyss from DS1) rather than what was unique in the previous content. Level design got progressively worse with each and every game (and I don't mean level design in the sense of "interconnected world design" that ds1 fags keep harping about. DeS and DS2 also have good level and encounter design. DS3 on the other hand, apart from a handful of maps like irithyll dungeon, carthus and painted world was complete crap. I don't think there's any From game that has worse and dumber amount of large open maps filled with shit not even worth dealing with as DS3 did with Road of Sacrifice, Farron Keep etc)

This game from the footage shown so far looks like an unholy crossover of DS3 and Sekiro combined with what looks like an empty and meaningless open world and some crafting item drudgery, so... nope.

Greek Anime God

Scholar
meanwhile ppl buy far cry 6 and assasins creed 13 for years.
Yes, that is a good comparison. Demon's Souls was special because it was new and fresh when it came out. People who are into FromSoft these days can't pretend to be any different from Ubisoft or Bethesda customers. Now that they have watered the game down enough they have decided to go the open world route just like the rest of them.

Deflowerer

Arcane
meanwhile ppl buy far cry 6 and assasins creed 13 for years.
Yes, that is a good comparison. Demon's Souls was special because it was new and fresh when it came out. People who are into FromSoft these days can't pretend to be any different from Ubisoft or Bethesda customers. Now that they have watered the game down enough they have decided to go the open world route just like the rest of them.

Oblivious to FROM history pre-Demon's Souls to boot, lol.

Ryzer

Arcane
Not really a good argument because, A: Elder Scrolls games have been changing and evolving, B: They've changed for the worse, and C: They were never that great to begin with.
Same goes for the Dark Souls aka Demon's Souls formula (except point C).

gerey

Arcane
Zionist Agent
they didn't really iterate on Souls formula, the series is full of great features/QOL improvements that were dropped for absolutely no reason.
They didn't iterate on everything, I agree, but we can clearly see attempts to improve or change the formula with each subsequent "Soulslike" (and really, someone needs to come up with a better name for these games, it's the "Doom clone" shit all over again).

I don't think there's any From game that has worse and dumber amount of large open maps filled with shit not even worth dealing with as DS3 did with Road of Sacrifice, Farron Keep etc)
With From it's like playing roulette, you never know what you'll end up with from game to game, or from level to level even. DeS had quite a few good levels, but a bunch of really shitty ones, DS1 starts out great but the further along you go you start recognizing the places where they had to rush things and cut corners, ditto for DS2 where the base game is mostly a disaster while the DLC are pretty good.

It seems it's less of an issue of skill, since they know the principles of encounter designs, and more a lack of time to polish or even design these encounters due to the development schedule.

They've actually devoted twice more development time to Elden Ring than to any previous Souls game so I'm hopeful they had the time and resources to do a proper job with designing the levels. Then again, the amount of content they're packing into the game might very well have led to From stretching themselves too thin.

On the other hand, what I'm actually worried about is the open-world and how they are going to handle encounter designs there, and if they will be able to make the overworld feel meaningful and interesting to explore, or if it will degenerate into another shitfest of grinding for resources and following quest markers from one point of interest to the next until you've crossed them off the checklist.

Then again, there's no quest compass, so at the very least they want the player to properly experience the world.

Last edited:

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I think we are a lot of FROM enjoyers that aknowledge the flaws in their games, some rehashed ideas, and that some of them are less inspired creations than the best ones.

You know what, that doesn't stop us from enjoying them, because they keep doing great stuff for people who likes exploration, great art direction and challenge rewarding methodic gameplay.

Also in their most recent title (Sekiro) they outdoned themselves designed boss encounters, delivering probably the best set of Boss fights in any melee action game ever. That's an incredible achievement.

You critics are asking FROM software to do what NO ONE in gaming industry is capable of doing, and putting that as a reason to throw away Elden Ring.

Keep waiting to your perfect game that won't never arrive, rambling in forum threads, while normal people enjoy their free time getting excited for Elden Ring and playing the game.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
- improved hitboxes
- jumping
- no rolling [rolling is in]
- stance breaking
- horse mount + mounted combat
- stealth + stealthy weaponry
- map + markers
- crafting
- finisher attacks
- martial arts not linked to specific weapons
- summons build
- 6+ classes of magic
- huge world + improved lightning

Yeah, I guess the game doesn't bring anything new to the table. /s

Edit: Actually no fall damage is the thing that annoys me the most.

Last edited:
I am old enough to prefer no fall damage in games with larger maps. I appreciate stuff in games now that makes me spend less time on just running around. And no fall damage on large maps means much faster traversal through them. That's what Elex did too basically with jetpack, I would've been way more upset with that game for having much larger than usual PB game map if I couldn't just jump down high cliffs without fall damage.

lametta

Educated
even if this is just dark souls with an open world, im pretty sure that everyone REEEEEEEING in this thread will play it. (even if pre release reviews will point it out)

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom