Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

From Software Elden Ring - From Software's new game with writing by GRRM

Wunderbar

Arcane
Also, "souls-like" means nothing. It's a term used whenever someone wants to describe a game that might have ANYTHING in common with Dark Souls. It doesn't refer to any particular characteristic of the series. A game can be a souls-like because you roll and have a stamina bar, another one because it's set in a grim world, another one because your character can die and respawn. Super Mario Bros is a souls-like: enemies kill you in one hit and treasure chests can trick you with poison mushrooms.
no one says that.

Souls-like is basically a third person action-rpg with respawning trash enemies, checkpoints and corpse-run mechanic.
And other than Fromsoft games, there are only like two souls-like series - games by Deck13 (Lords of the Fallen and The Surge), and Nioh 1-2.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Also, "souls-like" means nothing. It's a term used whenever someone wants to describe a game that might have ANYTHING in common with Dark Souls. It doesn't refer to any particular characteristic of the series. A game can be a souls-like because you roll and have a stamina bar, another one because it's set in a grim world, another one because your character can die and respawn. Super Mario Bros is a souls-like: enemies kill you in one hit and treasure chests can trick you with poison mushrooms.
no one says that.

Souls-like is basically a third person action-rpg with respawning trash enemies, checkpoints and corpse-run mechanic.
And other than Fromsoft games, there are only like two souls-like series - games by Deck13 (Lords of the Fallen and The Surge), and Nioh 1-2.
While I agree with you, clearly not everyone does. Otherwise, we wouldn't get posts like this one:

I wish people would stop calling this a souls-like.
An open-world game with a map, quest compass, a horse, and crafting is not a souls-like.

Egosphere

Arcane
The more I look at the trailer and the gameplay preview, the more I see all of Souls crammed into one game.

Majula, High Wall of Lothric, Carthus, Irythrill, Shrine of Amanna, Cathedral of the Deep are all present in some form.
There's a Smough / Smelter Demon hybrid lookalike, Dragonslayer on horseback, Iron Golem on steroids, Sinh, Midir, monstrosity of sin etc.
There are the rag-tag catacomb swordsmen of DS3 and the morion clad falconers of DS2. And in some of the finer details, there too are fleeting glimpses of the past:
the knight and the lady (Astraea), a scholar in his library ( Tseldora duke ), mask of the father, big hat Logan, firekeeper..

Animations, assets, mechanics - reusing these is understandable. But the choice to remain adjacent to the souls universe in a brand new ip is strange.
I guess those that wanted a new dark souls will relish this, whilst those that have had their fill by DS3 will simply play out of respect to from's past glories

Edit: You can throw the Last Giant and Aave the Pet into the mix, now that we have more footage

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Ashen, Darksiders 3, Code Vein, Remnant and Mortal Shell are souls-likes. Not sure about Fallen Order, haven't played and seen only little.

Personally I don't count platformers like Hollow Knight or Salt&Sanctuary as souls-likes, the 2D movement and combat makes too much of a difference. I'm a huge souls nerd but I don't like or play these precisely bc I don't like the 2D combat.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
They have reused the exact same estus chugging animation from DaS3 in Elden Ring.

Looking forward to reading all about how this was bad in DaS3 but is actually a good thing in ER.

If you look really close you can see that they changed estus to a pepsi max bottle. They changed the model at least.

Reinhardt

Arcane
starting classes. for me it's bloody wolf. even if it sucks.

FDb5CglXsAMXvhG

FDb5ByrWUAMR8LR

edit: Silva is retarded. who else?

And first guy already wearing pantsu on his head. Proper japanese game at last.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well... coming up to some monster silently from behind, and having the chance to perform a critical hit, was there since DS 1, really. Same with the "breaking of stance". Like the Club jump attacks, basically.

Stakes of Marika will have to be seen what that is, exactly. Might be like... a way to make sure that if you get bugged somewhere, you can reset yourself(?!?). Like The Dark Sign.

And here's a prayer to our lord Miyazaki that those rays can be turned off, because if they don't... ooofff... :popamole:

Hassar

Scholar
Crouching in the grass to sneak around, auto-navigation big ass shiny arrows.
Pardon my language but what the actual fuck am I reading.

Seems like they’re just adding mechanics from other games on top of Souls’ previous mechanics. No big leaps forward towards next gen in any of these announcements.

Maybe their marketing team is being lazy but if you really want to show off a next gen stealth system, then we should see a focus on dynamic lighting, enemy AI improving detection and/or search strategies, and such - not the crouching/crouching+grass mechanic seen in Horizon and Ghost of Tsushima (i.e. seen in other games already). From usually doesn’t try to be next gen per se, though, but seeing an established (and already lackluster) genre trope just pushed in an unexciting advertisement is disappointing.

Last edited:

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
This is probably going to be the best video game ever made. There's a good chance, anyway. I think there's a:

-25% chance it will be the best video game ever made
-25% chance it will be the best Souls-Like video game
-25% chance it will be the third best souls-like
-25% chance it will be the best human entertainment ever created in the category of books, poetry, movies, music, video games, boardgames, origami, Tiger Electronic Handhelds, Sculpture, Painting, and performance art.

So the odds it will at least be worth playing are pretty good.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

MajorMace

Self-Ejected
Patron
Seems like they’re just adding mechanics from other games on top of Souls’ previous mechanics.
Well at this point it's not just mechanics, it's a complete change in game design. I already felt weird seeing knights jumping in plate armor in some previous video, but sneaking around in the grass.... It made sense in sekiro, where we literally play a shinobi, but wtf were they thinking here... At what point in his life would a fully armoured knight crouch for any reason ?

I'm legit sad over reading this. Souls were such a lovable endeavour.
I guess they had to mimic Berserk all the way to the decline in later arcs.

Egosphere

Arcane

Ashen, Darksiders 3, Code Vein, Remnant and Mortal Shell are souls-likes. Not sure about Fallen Order, haven't played and seen only little.

Personally I don't count platformers like Hollow Knight or Salt&Sanctuary as souls-likes, the 2D movement and combat makes too much of a difference. I'm a huge souls nerd but I don't like or play these precisely bc I don't like the 2D combat.

Are those all series? Mortal Shell is a one off game, for now

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom