Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer's historical mystery narrative-driven game set in 16th century Bavaria

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
daily reminder he wrote pallegina

Pallegina was one of the better companions in PoE1 in terms of having believable dialogue and central philosophy. As a no nonsense patriotic Paladin of the republics with a bit of conflict between duty and conscience but even in that only in service of the republics. Pallegina only became terrible in PoE2 becoming a confusedly written hysterical harpy.

KVVRR

Learned
obsidian-pentimenti-winc-2021.jpg
Is that a stock image? It has to be. At least tell me it's a placeholder or something.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
If I remember correctly, Josh only played a couple of hours of Elysium.
Thank you. He even said in some podcast that he didn't like skill checks in Disco. I believe this game shall be like Pillars but more revolutionary in every aspect. This experimental gameplay I think they already made it in the game since Pentiment would be already released but they double down with new experimental stuff.

Quillon

Arcane
Josh Sawyer is the sole writer

I remember he posted several times with Kate D's stuff in dialogue editor, I think she's also involved at least in a limited capacity, if so bad news... or worse news :P

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
If I remember correctly, Josh only played a couple of hours of Elysium.
Thank you. He even said in some podcast that he didn't like skill checks in Disco. I believe this game shall be like Pillars but more revolutionary in every aspect. This experimental gameplay I think they already made it in the game since Pentiment would be already released but they double down with new experimental stuff.

Can't wait for Sediment, the RPG game with no combat, no skills, and no dice. Loosely based on a drunk reading of the Amber ruleset and with a UI and narrative resembling checking out wikipedia for 30 hours.
:slamdunk:

FreeKaner

Prophet of the Dumpsterfire
The narrative rambling resembling checking out wikipedia for 30 hours really strikes at the heart of the matter. There will be no coherent themes or philosophy to this.

Josh Sawyer once wrote Joshua Graham, that sort of theme and philosophy coherence could make for a great 16th century murder mystery, touching matters of God, faith, betrayal, sin, deception, honesty and all else that one could expect from a murder investigation and confession, with possible conflicts of interest, with narrative and moral choices between truth or community for example. Yet I feel like this will end up being a completely incoherent wikipedia presentation of 16th century Holy Roman Empire and nothing more.

I would love a skillfully handled game set in Holy Roman Empire, especially touching the conflict between temporal authority and church authority, between aristocratic loyalty and konfessionalisierung. A game involving civil society and criminal tribunes, involving how Holy Roman Empire had several overlapping and sometimes conflicting courts like the reichskammergericht and the council in Vienna on top of local temporal and clerical authorities, as well as inquisitions, would be extremely fitting. It really is a perfect setting for murder mystery conceptually but alas I highly doubt a good game will be found here, let alone a competently written one.

Last edited:

Starwars

Arcane
The idea is appealing but after seeing the direction of the writing in Outer Worlds, as well as the Microsoft takeover, it's hard to feel any excitment.

Still, if it actually follows through on the murdermystery stuff, it could be interesting. Will depend a lot on how safe they play it.

Viata

Arcane
"clearly based"
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Edit: It's not clearly, Infi. It's looks more like an ancient Egyptian artist trying to draw a western emperor.
you call yourself brazilian and you don't know what prester john is

damn you to your seventh neighborly portuga baker
I never said I don't know him. I'm saying the drawing is more based on shit ancient Egyptian art(even the feet are facing the same side) than the art above where the artist knows how to draw.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Why does every computer game have to tick the same boxes?

I enjoyed DE. Will play again, soon I think. There is comedy there, and introspection if you want (and the effacement that results) or actual RP to the extent it lets you.

Do I look for games, cRPGs in particular, that have good combat well-executed in style and substance? Most of the time.

I'm married to a woman, not a gaming genre. I sowed plenty of fields before then, so no regrets. Combat cRPG never equipped the ring on this finger.

Murder mystery has my interest immediately. It's all in the execution, and Sawyer as both Grand Vizier and High Mogul is a bold move. Let's see how it works out for him.

Self-Ejected

c2007

Self-Ejected
Why does every computer game have to tick the same boxes?
It doesn't need. But you can't just sell a VN/Adventure game and call it a RPG. No, maybe you can, given the reaction to DE here.
I thought about making a cRPG/RPG distinction before but felt my own inner tl;dr coming on so I stopped. The following is elementary to everyone, so forgive me for working it out simply.

RPG=Pen and Paper based game, has a ruleset (or many), and definitely has combat.

cRPG=Computer based. A derivative.

Disco Elysium does have dice rolls, and points invested in CC and through progress. There is combat, against a wall. And against yourself. A derivative.

I think your distinction is no longer accurate, despite a monacled appearance and being historically correct, for DE. Possibly this future Sawyerism either. DE was creative, and it felt like an RPG. I will have to do my second play and see if the outcome is different enough considering my choices will be wildly different in every regard.

There is a pretty solid line between VN and RPG, no arguments. Without a second playthrough and result of the jackass I intend to be, maybe it is less of an RP than I thought - if so, I'll own up to it on your wall. If it proceeds as comedically as I expect, but different because choices and build... how is that not a cRPG?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom