Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPGs classified by levels of boredom.

curds

Magister
Braindead DS clone.
DD is literally nothing like DS, aside from both being part of the same (very broad) genre.

Boring RPGs:

Baldur's Gate
Pillars of Eternity
Skyrim
Shadowrun Returns

Last edited:

Abhay

Augur
Never felt bored:

Gothic 3
Arx Fatalis
Baldurs Gate 2
Deus Ex 1
Divine Divinity

Very Boring
Gothic 1, 2
Morrowind
Baldurs Gate 1

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
A rather silly thread, unless people are able to separate being bored or interested by an RPG from their general assessment of an RPG as good or bad. :M Perhaps people can specifically cite examples where an RPG had gameplay they considered at least adequate but was nonetheless boring for other reasons.

Azdul

Magister
I prefer boring games - where designers do not feel obliged to throw epic events, over-the-top enemies or ground-shattering revelations at you at every step of the way.

Adrenaline pumping, attention grabbing gameplay design requires a lot of development resources - and inevitably runs out of steam. Then the unprepared player is thrown into dungeon full of copy-pasted enemies or bullet sponge boss - in desperate effort to stretch the content.

When developers feel confident that the setting is interesting enough and they have enough varied content and exploration possibilities - and they deliberately slow down the progress of the story giving you vague directions and subtle hints how to continue - I know that it is a game for me.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Disco Elysium and CDPR games are boring, Pillars of Eternity and Dragon Age Origins are boring. I still like all those games though because being boring isn't as bad as being bad.

gaussgunner

Arcane
I prefer boring games - where designers do not feel obliged to throw epic events, over-the-top enemies or ground-shattering revelations at you at every step of the way.

Adrenaline pumping, attention grabbing gameplay design requires a lot of development resources - and inevitably runs out of steam. Then the unprepared player is thrown into dungeon full of copy-pasted enemies or bullet sponge boss - in desperate effort to stretch the content.

Those are the most boring games of all.

Bastardchops

Augur
Patron
In this thread, we categorize RPGs by how boring they are. It doesn't mean that you hate the game, I want you to describe the level of boredom you felt while playing.
Overwhelmingly boring:
  • Pillars of eternity 1/2
  • The Outer Worlds (I don't think I need to explain why)
  • Planescape Torment
  • Morrowind
  • Fallout 3/4
Very boring:
  • Divinity original sin games
  • Dragon age games
  • Skyrim / Oblivion / Daggerfall
  • Mount and Blade
  • The Witcher 3
  • Fallout 2
Tiresome:
  • Arena
  • Fallout 1
  • Deus Ex MD/ 1/ invisible war
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Wizardry 7 at the beginning
  • Ultima games
  • Mass effect games
  • The Witcher 1/2
Never felt bored:
  • Jagged alliance 1/2
  • Dark Souls 1
  • Dragon's Dogma
I found this post somewhere between tiresome and very boring.

Contagium

Savant
Patron
Only legitimate boring game I can think of lately is Conglomerate 451. Just over an hour in and I never want to see it again. Most of the games OP listed I found at least some enjoyment with.

Generic-Giant-Spider

DD is literally nothing like DS, aside from both being part of the same (very broad) genre.

Liberal probably Youtube'd DD, saw it didn't have some boomer turn-based mode and isometric camera angle, got his raggedy old man ass all scared and tucked tail. He couldn't handle wolves in packs just like he can't handle his ancestry.

Abhay

Augur
Never felt bored:

Gothic 3
Arx Fatalis
Baldurs Gate 2
Deus Ex 1
Divine Divinity

Very Boring
Gothic 1, 2
Morrowind
Baldurs Gate 1

Shows you that boredom might not be the best measurement of quality.

It is the lesser quality of those games that made them boring to play today.

Games I felt never bored aren't great in quality terms but still a lot better in comparison to those listed under boring that I prefer to play today, whenever I am in the mood of good old experiences.

Blutwurstritter

Learned
The discussion is purely subjective. "Boring" depends on the person. But there is of course nothing wrong with getting sentimental at times. I never understood the fascination with mmorpgs, but the people that I know that played them certainly didn't look bored to me, despite repeating the same things over and over again. Quite the opposite, they were mesmerized by it.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
Baldur Gate 1-2,
Neverwinter Night 1-2,
Pillars 1-2,
Pathfinder 1-2,
Divinity Original Sin 1-2,
Fallout 4,
Outer Worlds,
Diablo 1-3,
Every Souls game.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
There are three games I know of that make me fall asleep in my chair during a play session every other time I pick them up. Planescape Torment, Numenera and Fallout 2, but these are also some of my favorite games I replay constantly. They are boring in a good way, they are slow, meditative and lull me to sleep like a good book or a relaxing piece of music, and unless I fall asleep with a weird neck angle, they also relax me a lot. Also I might have narcolepsy.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Morrowind

Overwhelmingly boring

Take that back, you bitch! Morrowind is the GOAT!
YNt3QUj.jpg

grim1234

Novice
Fallout 3. The game is simply garbage. Subways everywhere with countless ghouls, and whoever thinks Megaton is oh so awesome... Bitch, that town's the most basic shit in existence, with literally barebones structure storywise and questwise. Oh - but it has a nuke in it. Great, but nothing interesting comes out of it, except for a mind bogglingly nonsensical "moral" choice - because them choices am I right?

gaussgunner

Arcane
In this thread, we categorize RPGs by how boring they are. It doesn't mean that you hate the game, I want you to describe the level of boredom you felt while playing.
Overwhelmingly boring:
  • Pillars of eternity 1/2
  • The Outer Worlds (I don't think I need to explain why)
  • Planescape Torment
  • Morrowind
  • Fallout 3/4
Very boring:
  • Divinity original sin games
  • Dragon age games
  • Skyrim / Oblivion / Daggerfall
  • Mount and Blade
  • The Witcher 3
  • Fallout 2
Tiresome:
  • Arena
  • Fallout 1
  • Deus Ex MD/ 1/ invisible war
  • Fallout New Vegas
  • Wizardry 7 at the beginning
  • Ultima games
  • Mass effect games
  • The Witcher 1/2
Never felt bored:
  • Jagged alliance 1/2
  • Dark Souls 1
  • Dragon's Dogma
I found this post somewhere between tiresome and very boring.
Well it's better than playing Original Sin or Witcher 3, that's for sure.

Metronome

Learned
I prefer to call them "immersive"

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom