Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Best non rpg games of the past 10 years

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Dungeon Rats is a tactics game with the addition of character customization/progression from RPGs. Personally, I'm rather fond of squad-based tactics games, and they intrinsically have much in common with RPGs due to their shared roots in miniatures wargaming, but I don't have any desire to confuse the two genres. Exploration is one of the three pillars of RPGs, alongside combat and the character aspects; Dungeon Rats contains virtually no exploration, therefore not an RPG. :M

mkultra

Augur
Rimworld
No Man's Sky
Terraria
Grow Home + Grow Up
Alien Isolation
Assassins Creed Origins + Odyssey

This section talks about non-rpg anyways.

Max Payne 1
Mafia 1
GTA SA (yea, not a proper rpg in my books to classify it as a full-fledged rpg game; it's an action game)
Far cry 2 (same reasons as abv)
H&D Deluxe
Silent Storm
Thief series
Kingpin

These are far older than 10 years. Everyone could mention a shit ton of games if we go back 30 years...

dacencora

Dungeon Rats is a tactics game with the addition of character customization/progression from RPGs. Personally, I'm rather fond of squad-based tactics games, and they intrinsically have much in common with RPGs due to their shared roots in miniatures wargaming, but I don't have any desire to confuse the two genres. Exploration is one of the three pillars of RPGs, alongside combat and the character aspects; Dungeon Rats contains virtually no exploration, therefore not an RPG. :M
That’s fair. You’ve convinced me.

SumDrunkGuy

XCOM 2 probably. I don't play non-RPG's much anymore.

Xcom 2 is bad fuckin ass. Here's your brofist. The soundtrack alone is god-tier. It supasses the original's soundtrack.

I was so pissed they replaced the theme with the expansion. DIE IN HELLFIRE

Last edited by a moderator:

Zlaja

Arcane
Out of those I played myself:

- XCOM 2 (It's fucking XCOM. It just works. Didn't play the first reboot, so I don't know which one is better)

- Bloodborne (More of an action game then ARPG so I'm including it here. Tight gameplay, great artstyle and amusing background lore/story)

- Far Cry 3 (Yes, it's popamole, but it was kinda fun......back in 2012. The only modern main entry Far Cry game worth playing)

- Evil Within 1 & 2 (Basically, what Resident Evil 5 & 6 should have been. Gameplay wise, anyway. Avoid if you can't stomach Resi 4, tho.)

- Darkwood (Spooky and highly atmospheric top down survival horror.)

- Dying Light (Best zombie whack-a-mole on the market)

- Metro: Last Light (I replayed it twice, which is more then I can say about most shooters, so it ends up on the list. Sue me.)

Ash

Arcane
Out of those I played myself:

- XCOM 2 (It's fucking XCOM. It just works. Didn't play the first reboot, so I don't know which one is better)

- Bloodborne (More of an action game then ARPG so I'm including it here. Tight gameplay, great artstyle and amusing background lore/story)

- Far Cry 3 (Yes, it's popamole, but it was kinda fun......back in 2012. The only modern main entry Far Cry game worth playing)

- Evil Within 1 & 2 (Basically, what Resident Evil 5 & 6 should have been. Gameplay wise, anyway. Avoid if you can't stomach Resi 4, tho.)

- Darkwood (Spooky and highly atmospheric top down survival horror.)

- Dying Light (Best zombie whack-a-mole on the market)

- Metro: Last Light (I replayed it twice, which is more then I can say about most shooters, so it ends up on the list. Sue me.)

Nice list...aside from Metro.

I would say FC4 is easily better than FC3. It's the same thing except: removed QTE bosses, new weapons and equipment, better climbing mechanics (monkey ropes), new interesting optional content (coliseum, strongholds), and most importantly it added the ability to turn off modern day hand-holding GUI decline, namely the mini-map which means no mindlessly running to loot icons on the map - you have to actually explore, and no enemies on the mini-map either.

Yeah, I would include Dark Souls as ARPG, but Bloodborne removed a lot of RPG systems and added nothing in its place (partly why I am not too fond of it). Sekiro was the better game because it removed the RPG but instead went all-in on platforming, verticality, combat and stealth.

XCOM2: pretty great but there's a few things that piss me off about it: spamming overwatch and carefully activating enemy pods is pretty much what the game boils down to, panic status is total horseshit randomly losing control of your squadmates. You've next to no defense over it, it just randomly happens and gets your team killed, utterly shit design. Reduced move spaces and accuracy would have been way fairer and result in much more interesting gameplay. Another thing is the lack of variables involved in combat, e.g shooting enemies behind walls. Sometimes you can, sometimes you can't, seems random. When you can, damage and accuracy is not affected at all. Stupid.

And a question: is The Evil Within really actually good and proper modern day Resident Evil alternatives? I tried 2 and while I was impressed with the quantity of gameplay going on, the implementation felt cookie-cutter and by the numbers, safe implementation, and uninspired. TEW1 I have only heard bad things about.

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

I remember both Evil Within 1 & 2 being great games for about 6 hours or so and then they both devolved into shit. The later half of those games were terribad.

Zlaja

Arcane
And a question: is The Evil Within really actually good and proper modern day Resident Evil alternatives? I tried 2 and while I was impressed with the quantity of gameplay going on, the implementation felt cookie-cutter and by the numbers, safe implementation, and uninspired. TEW1 I have only heard bad things about

Generally, the first game felt more unique/inspired, but the second game had more tight combat mechanics and bigger budget. Pros & cons of both titles below:

Evil Within 1

Pros: atmosphere, pacing, variety of levels

Cons: less tight combat mechanics, story is little overly convoluted/confusing, looks shit at times

Evil Within 2

Pros: improved combat, better graphics, Kidman character has a bigger role in the story (and I'm saying this because she's hot trolololol)

Cons: annoying family melodrama, broken op stealth mechanic (enemies are fucking braindead), hub based setup messes with the pacing

Last edited:

SumDrunkGuy

Laura and Anima were both scary ass villains. That's one huge prop I will give to both of the TEW games.

the-evil-within-gif.gif

TEW2_Anima_GIF_3.gif

Villagkouras

Arcane
2D (action/platformers etc)
  • Limbo
  • Inside
  • Broforce (with friends)
  • Celeste
  • Yoku's Island Express
  • Octahedron
  • MO: Astray
  • Ori Series
  • Guacamelee
Roguelikes/-lites
  • Downwell
  • Monolith
  • The Binding of Isaac
  • Risk of Rain
Action
  • Sekiro
  • Nier: Automata
  • CrossCode
  • Resident Evil 2 Remake
  • Hyper Light Drifter
Puzzles
  • Slayaway Camp
  • The Talos Principle
  • Portal 2
Sports
  • Top Spin 4
Others
  • Papers, Please
  • Pony Island
  • Blitz Breaker

kangaxx

Arbiter
Some that I enjoyed in no particular order.

Prey
The Dishonereds
Return of the Obra Dinn
Stories Untold
Control (very shallow, but liked the setting and enjoyed the gunplay)
Golftopia
EU4
Portal 2
Overcooked (sofa multiplayer only)
Cities Skylines maybe?

Max one or two of those would get in my 20 or 25 year list. The decline is real.

:negative:

Tavar

Cipher
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Hotline Miami
Katana Zero
Prey (might count as a RPG)
Darkest Dungeon
Ghostrunner
Sonic Mania (sue me)
Starcraft II - WoL (multiplayer only)

Glop_dweller

Prophet
Roleplaying has at least two disparate meanings now. It is used [erroneously] to mean job-play, as well as (the correct meaning) personality play. In the first instance some people associate "Tank" as a —role— as a service/function of a fighter. The second instance in this case is that of playing the specific character. One plays the role of the fighter... like Minsc for instance, or like Montaron [both of Baldur's Gate], and both very different roles; different ethics, goals, and moral limitations.

In Planescape, the Nameless one can be of any class [job], and can change classes throughout the game, but the role is always that of the immortal wanderer, and his inner demons; what his personality is like at the time of play. Play is extrapolating what he would do in the given situations.

With the above said... Legend of Grimrock is a good choice of non-RPG.
There are zero roleplaying choices in the game; you just explore the map, and kill monsters. If one thinks that names, hit points, and leveling up makes an RPG... then consider that Myth:The Fallen Lords has all of that, and is in no way considered an RPG.

In that respect even DemonStone might qualify as a non-RPG—and that's a D&D/TSR product.

**One aspect for many seems to be that RPGs must allow custom PCs—or they are not 'roleplaying'. It's BoguS IMO. So long as there is a given role [be it custom, full, or partially defined], it has the potential to be an RPG; has the potential to act in keeping with the character. Planescape is arguably the best RPG, and it has a fixed character. The Witcher is a damned good RPG, and has only Geralt as the PC.

Honorable mentions [non-RPGs]:
  • Overlord (series)
  • War for the Underworld
  • Shadow Warrior 2013
  • Homeworld Remastered
  • Styx--Master of Shadows (It could have been an RPG if they so chose.)

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
Wtf, did nobody here really play It Takes Two from this year?

The game is an absolutely amazing coop experience. I would go as far as proclaiming it THE BEST coop game ever.

All time classic

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Age of Wonders 3 + all DLC - top tier game, couple hundred hours worthy.

Honorable mentions: Endless games (including Dungeon), Panzer Corps when patched and with afrika korps + grand campaign dlc

Uh... This might be it? I spent a lot of time playing AoE2 DE, but I guess including it might be a stretch.

Jrpgfan

Erudite
Wtf, did nobody here really play It Takes Two from this year?

The game is an absolutely amazing coop experience. I would go as far as proclaiming it THE BEST coop game ever.

All time classic

It does look good.

I'll admit I hadn't paid much attention to it until it showed up on that games award thing and people started talking about it.

I'm thinking about playing it with my daughter but I've got no clue if the difficulty is "kid friendly". Atleast I won't have to pay to find out since it's on gamepass(got a sub till end of 2023).

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Sekiro
Mark of the ninja
XCOM 2
ARMA 3
Guilty Gear XX ACPR
Metal Gear Rising
Metal Gear V
Dirt Rally
Field Of Glory 2

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom