Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Random JRPG News Thread

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Square's EGS exclusive/not EGS exclusive releases confuse me. It's like the flip of a coin.

lightbane

Arcane
A modern isekai game (aka one with a boring OP protagonist)? That's new, or not as common instead of making an anime.
I like how it says it has Denuvo as if it was a predetermined decision, despite the latest shitstorm regarding it.

Arthandas

Liturgist
Isekaishit..
Why does it always has to be someone from the present transported to a fantasy land? Why not the other way around? Imagine a group of fantasy travelers transported to a cyberpunk world, they literally don't understand anything and must somehow survive and find a way back. In the last chapter they travel back and kill the main villain with plasma rifles :)

lightbane

Arcane
Well, the Mother 4/Oddity fangame is unlikely to be real after the latest stuff I posted. However, there's something else that might be of interest... What about a reimagining of Mother 1, with new stuff?

Unlike the Oddity game, there's something else besides a trailer (basically songs and a recent update video), so they're already better than Oddity in that regard.

There will another video Christmas day, supposedly.
No idea if that will ever go anywhere though, as they're still looking for programmers and such.

Viata

Arcane
Encore takes place in a different canon from Itoi's mother 1. I understand we may not have communicated the game's direction the best in this trailer, or in the mother direct. But it's more so a re-imagining than a remake. However, we're doing our best to stay true to the feel of the original.
So fanfiction? :negative:

lightbane

Arcane
Encore takes place in a different canon from Itoi's mother 1. I understand we may not have communicated the game's direction the best in this trailer, or in the mother direct. But it's more so a re-imagining than a remake. However, we're doing our best to stay true to the feel of the original.
So fanfiction? :negative:
To be fair, Mother 1's story was barebones, there's not much to change other than adding stuff from Mother 2/Earthbound, which is likely the plan. I remember reading about a Mother 1 rom called 2th anniversary edition that enhances it slightly, if that's what you want. Now though, for true fanfiction, there's THIS:

Don't expect release, ever.

lightbane

Arcane
if that's what you want
Not really, but I'd play a remake(100% the same but new graphics) of Mother 1 with those graphics. It's the only one of the trilogy that I like.
I get you. Then you're out of luck. There was precisely an Earthbound hack that did just that, altering Mother 2 to tell the story of the first game, with new sprites and everything. Alas, it simply vanished without a trace. :decline:
You're best waiting for an official remake (unlikely), or one of the remake fangames to be finished. Pick your poison.

It's a shame that few did much with the themes and inspiration of the Mother saga: The first two games deal with a "normal" contemporary setting using 80s and older pop-culture and pulp fiction, with stuff like evil cults, a hollow Earth with dinosaurs and ancient civilizations, corrupt policemen, biker gangs and so on. Mother 3 instead deals with a totally-not Nazi army occupation of a region and the transformation it brings, as well as criticizing both Luddites and consumerism.

Persona games are set in a modern setting yeah, but they're pretty much school life drama with a coat of paint of supernatural bullshit. The first two games were more serious and traditional, for what's worth.

karoliner

Arcane
Vatnik
Another action game.
Hyperdimension Neptunia: Sisters vs. Sisters announced for PS5, PS4 [Update]
Due out on April 21, 2022 in Japan.Sal Romano
Nov 24 2021 / 3:08 AM EST

Neptunia-Sisters-vs-Sisters_Fami_11-24-21_001-320x180.jpg

Compile Heart has announced RPG Hyperdimension Neptunia: Sisters vs. Sisters (Choujigen Game Neptune: Sisters vs. Sisters) for PlayStation 5 and PlayStation 4, the latest issue of Weekly Famitsu reveals. It will launch on April 21, 2022 in Japan for 8,580 yen. Limited and Digital Deluxe editions will also be available for 12,100 yen.

Hyperdimension Neptunia: Sisters vs. Sisters is produced and directed by Hikaru Yasui. It stars little sisters Nepgear, Uni, Rom, and Ram. The character models for the sisters are brand-new.

In battle, three party members fight in real-time, and the characters you are not controlling act on their own. You can also switch between characters. You can unleash combo skills, which can be activated at the press of a button and link with other characters; and tactical skills, which are unique actions that consume a dedicated gauge.

Fields can be freely walked around and explored. The PlayStation 5 version offers a greater sense of immersion via the DualSense wireless controller’s haptic feedback functionality.

The story sees the little sisters awaken after being put to sleep for two years by someone, to find that people now have smartphones called “MagiPhones” that have taken over the market. Planeptune has fallen to the “Buzzoer Phenomenon,” which brought hordes of monsters, and the older sisters have gone missing.

Thanks, Ryokutya2089.

13 Sentinels is one of the best games I've played in several years.

I wonder how the Switch is going to handle that final mission, though. I played it on PS4 and it throws so much at you that I was getting something in the neighborhood of 10-12 fps.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Gachashit crossovers don't always mean anything is following up but, Square Enix has been pretty consistent with these remasters.
Although funny enough their best ones have been with their lesser popular stuff like Saga Frontier. It's strange.

Reinhardt

Arcane
Well, if you consider authors of Another Eden and Chrono are same people...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom