Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Crusader Kings III

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
No mods like HIP or CK2+ yet?

No, and the HIP team has said that due to the increased modding limitations and poor direction of CK3 development, they don’t plan to bring it to CK3.

The sooner everyone forgets about CK3 and goes back to playing the incredibly superior CK2, the better.

What are the most
rating_prestigious.png
mods?
For CK2? Winter King, Warhammer Geheimnisnacht, After the End, those AGOT and TES mods... there's a bunch of good mods

There's a bunch of Lover's Lab mods like Dark World Reborn.

cyborgboy95

News Cyborg
https://www.crusaderkings.com/en/pc...t=post&utm_campaign=crki3_ck_20211026_cawe_dd

Dev Diary #79: An Update on Cultures
NEWS PC / 2021-10-26
ck3-dev-diary-79-social-fb_twitter-etc.png

Greetings!

We’ve talked plenty about cultures already at this point, but I wanted to give you a brief update on what we’ve done since the initial reveal of the culture rework. Since then, we’ve taken some time to add additional functionality based on your feedback!
Previously, you could only add new traditions to a culture to fill out any empty tradition slots you may have. If you wanted to change anything regarding your culture, you would have to create a new one. Which begs the question. What if I want to keep the culture I already have? Or why can I not replace that one tradition to make my culture perfect? Fret not. The cultural head has gained the ability to change, or ‘reform’ if you will, their culture in order to change it without the need to create a new culture. The cultural head cannot replace everything mind you, but may change the ethos, the martial custom, and any tradition. If you want to change any of the remaining pillars you’ll have to create a new culture, either by diverging or forming a hybrid. Do note that you need to own the Royal Court expansion to reform your culture, similar to creating a culture. Even without the DLC, you can always add new traditions to fill out any empty slots.

Reasoning for what you are able to change this way is twofold. First, changing heritage or language for an existing culture felt a bit off. While a language in reality does evolve over time, that is something we don’t really represent in the game, which makes it weird to simply “replace” a language. And you can’t really change your heritage in the same vein as, say, a tradition. Secondly, we wanted to make sure that you still have a valid reason to create a divergent culture. The two approaches are slightly similar in functionality, but it is important that both reforming and diverging a culture serves different purposes and that the distinction between the two is clear.

01_reform_button.jpg

[Image showing the options to reform or diverge a culture]

The major difference is, as mentioned above, that reforming only allows you to change certain aspects about a culture, while diverging allows for additional possibilities. A second significant difference is the cost. Replacing a pillar will cost you prestige. The ethos in particular includes a rather hefty prestige cost that should make it rather difficult to repeatedly change it over the course of a campaign. You are, however, free to pick any ethos, regardless of circumstances.

02_replace_ethos.jpg

[Image of the ethos replacement window]

Traditions will also be more expensive to replace. Instead of just a flat increase, replacing a tradition increases the prestige cost by 50%. The cost penalty will therefore be relative to how well your culture matches any given tradition, making the additional cost more harsh for already expensive (and less compatible) traditions.

03_replace_tradition_cost.jpg
04_establish_time.jpg

Servancour · Oct 26, 2021 at 14:30

" style="font-family: inherit; font-weight: inherit; font-style: inherit; text-align: inherit; line-height: inherit; color: inherit; background-color: transparent; border: 0px; border-radius: 0px; box-sizing: border-box; -webkit-font-smoothing: antialiased; max-width: 100%; cursor: pointer;">
04_establish_time.jpg

[Image of the establishment rate tooltip]

That about sums up all of the additional changes we’ve done. In short, the ambition here is to allow you to shape your culture more freely in the way you want, without having to always resort to doing something that might feel a bit heavy handed. On a final note, I’d like to thank you for providing us with feedback and voicing your opinions! Giving valid and constructive criticism does, at times, pay off.

Zariusz

Arbiter
https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/foru...y-80-is-that-a-dagger-in-your-pocket.1496381/

CK3 Dev Diary #80 - Is That a Dagger in Your Pocket…?
News PC / 2021-11-02
social-fb_twitter-etc-9.png

Is that a dagger in your pocket…?
or
Inventory System/Commission Artifact:
Howdy all,

Your Friendly Local Community Manager here to introduce this week's Developer Diary! While it was not my article, it was written by our ever mysterious Content Designer, CC! So sit back, relax, and enjoy some neat new features from the team and we can't wait to hear your thoughts and feedback!

Without further ado:
Greetings!

Let’s talk about artifacts and the systems surrounding it.

Artifacts can be divided into two categories, inventory and court, which is also where the items are stored. This dev diary will focus on the former one, so the inventory.
Inventory system
Feast thine eyes on the inventory screen! Instead of putting all of the goodies into a big pile, we’ve made an inventory window showing what’s currently equipped and how many of each category you can “wear”.

1.png

[image of inventory screen]

Equipable artifacts fall into the following categories; crown, regalia, weapon, armor, and lastly, trinkets. Most of these categories speak for themselves but trinkets, so what are they you may ask? The answer is a myriad of things; they can be brooches, dried flowers, even a worm on a string.

You can also sort after these categories, making it easy to find what you’re looking for when you want to equip, repair, or just browse your inventory.

2.png

[image of inventory screen: artifact section]

In the Artifact Details, you can read the artifact’s history, as well as see what people are claimants. Watch out - some of these people may be looking to steal the artifact away from you…

3.png

[image showing artifact details: history tab]

Of course, it goes both ways! Did your stupid brother inherit the family heirloom? You can duel, declare war, or steal it — as long as you have a claim.

4.png

5.png

[image showing artifact details: claimants tab]

Artifacts wear down when on your person versus when they are on display in the court. So keep that in mind as it can be costly in the long run to equip everything for the bonuses if you're not making full use of them.

Since the Antiquarian is such a vital figure in maintaining and making full use of your artifacts, there’s a shortcut to recruiting or just looking at who has that position in your court.

6.png

[image showing the Antiquarian court position info]

As shown in the image, the Antiquarian unlocks the ability to Reforge and Repair, as well as Commissioning Artifacts.

7.png

[image showing the Reforge Artifact interaction]

Commission Artifacts
Inspirations are fickle like creativity, so if you have the gold and you want something commissioned, you can get in touch with local artisans through the Commission Artifact decision.

An additional benefit of commissioning an artifact is that you get to decide what’s being made.

8.png

[image showing the commission artifact decision; artifact selection]

Now you might wonder, “why would I ever subject myself to the whims and possible long time for a person to become inspired if I can just go to the local artisans and get what I want?”
You see, even if inspirations appear as fickle as love during springtime, it’s that little extra spice — a creator’s passion — that permeates through the final product. It’s that warm feeling of love for the craft that the beholder can feel just by looking at it, it’s something that’s not always present in a commissioned piece.

Ah, my apologies, I appeared to have been carried away there for a brief moment by my muse.

What I meant to say is that in gameplay terms, that means that inspired people can create artifacts of higher quality while the commission artisans will do the bare minimum and therefore be of the lowest quality.

9.png

[image showing the inspiration progress]

Whether a passion project or not, creating something takes time. We ask for your understanding and hope that you continue to enjoy Crusader Kings 3!

This Dev Diary was ghostwritten by the mysterious CC.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Artefacts do have some place in the game but that seems excessive. It just adds another layer of "click button, get buffs" to the game.

kangaxx

Arbiter
I gave up playing this after about 10 hours, saying I'd come back after they release more content. So it sounds like this hasn't happened/new content is shit?

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They are still taking their pretty time with the DLC and I'm not yet convinced that it's not just adding busy work (holding court). The return of artifacts will at least allow more LARPing.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
What are the most
rating_prestigious.png
mods?

Assuming you mean total conversions,
I know less about them, but there's also an Elder Scrolls mod, and a Romance of the Three Kingdoms mod.

If you just mean the base game, and aside from HIP, the basics are Patrum Scuta (Ironman version) and A Bigger Interface; Improved Genetics is also nice, does what it says. There's also Nomina Vera, a cool little linguistic effort (though I've not audited it heavily).

Delterius

Arcane
haven't played this but have questions

• are all muslims still pigeonholed into turkish succession instead of something that makes sense for arabs
  • are there super natural events which are outright magical (ck's immortality potion questline) instead of something that can chalked up to people believing in things (joan of arc expy event does crazy things)
  • is it just me or are all the religions pretty samey

Delterius

Arcane
is it just me or are all the religions pretty samey

yeah, for now faiths under the new system don't really have any mechanical distinction outside the traits and minor benefits associated with each.
i hear faiths are customizeable so can i make an irish pagan kingdom of druidic witchery for absolute memery

i just came out of a ck2 turkish jain merchant republic game so i'm still a bit loopy

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I don't recall any meme events like fighting Cthulhu. You can make a witch coven and do drugz but it's relatively down to earth.

And yes, religions and cultures are very samey because the modular nature of these things creates a kind of "one size fits all" situation.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I don't recall any meme events like fighting Cthulhu. You can make a witch coven and do drugz but it's relatively down to earth.

And yes, religions and cultures are very samey because the modular nature of these things creates a kind of "one size fits all" situation.

In CK2 there were major differences in how the three types of religions were though.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
I'd be surprised if they don't add more meaningful mechanics to CK3's religions via DLC. Whatever you think of Royal Court, it's fairly involved compared to other PDX GSG expansions.

Delterius

Arcane
You can make a witch coven and do drugz but it's relatively down to earth.
That's the difference really. I like absurd or seemingly supernatural events, just don't make it outright magic. Keep it Darklands tier and it's golden.
I'd be surprised if they don't add more meaningful mechanics to CK3's religions via DLC. Whatever you think of Royal Court, it's fairly involved compared to other PDX GSG expansions.
I suppose that Royal Court could be the basis for future DLC. Say, something that touches on caliphal succession and makes it more involved by engaging the court's interests in which son takes over. You can have a fourth fitna scenario with the iranian power base supporting one claimant and the traditional bagdad élites supporting another.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, as of now it seems that Royal Court is designed to serve as a basis for further, more in-depth content. It’s a really big, fundamental redesign of many gameplay aspects when you take a closer look, it definitely can serve as a starting point for things to come. That’s why it’s in development for such a long fucking time.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
I suppose that Royal Court could be the basis for future DLC. Say, something that touches on caliphal succession and makes it more involved by engaging the court's interests in which son takes over. You can have a fourth fitna scenario with the iranian power base supporting one claimant and the traditional bagdad élites supporting another.

Be the last man standing by murdering all your bothers before they murder you?

Delterius

Arcane

Be the last man standing by murdering all your bothers before they murder you?
That's Turkish succession so no.

Theodora

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Did they do that before the Ottomans though? Cus I kinda want it in game.

Yeah, as of now it seems that Royal Court is designed to serve as a basis for further, more in-depth content. It’s a really big, fundamental redesign of many gameplay aspects when you take a closer look, it definitely can serve as a starting point for things to come. That’s why it’s in development for such a long fucking time.

Exactly, even if you think it's shit and terrible and 'pozzed' or whatever else, it's still already way bigger and more elaborate than any other game expansions they've put out.

Delterius

Arcane

Did they do that before the Ottomans though? Cus I kinda want it in game.
Well, there's succession wars and there's outright fratricide wacky races to the capital like the Ottomans did. FreeKaner can probably comment on that with any degree of actual knowledge so let's leave it at that.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom