Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CD Projekt's Cyberpunk 2077 Update 2.0 + Phantom Liberty Expansion Thread

Gargaune

Magister
Way back, I wonderd why a green dot was coming towards me in a car, it was the reporter, a quest npc from a gig 15 mins ago, still being driven away. I followed him FOR SCIENCE, to see if he just despawns. Nope, I followed him all the way down to Pacifica, where did a u-turn and drove back. Hoping to get out of my visual range I guess. Then he got stuck forever near the Coyote bar and I gave up. The things I do for science.... :hahano:
But boy was that drive a joy. Especially the highway. There are invisibile seams every car just stops at. I had to notch each of them in the collum over it one by one to continue. It's like the AI stops at the border of the current "cell" hoping nobody notices.
They don't (usually) despawn if they're in view, but the game's got the most aggressive culling I've seen out of the frustrum. The instant you turn away, Cyberpunk flushes out dynamic decor like vehicles and NPCs, and I get why they're doing it, but the implementation's just not fit for purpose. What's the point in having all these ambient NPCs if the instant I do a double take or engage photo mode half of them are gonna Shift+Delete themselves out of existence?

Here's a story for you - yet another car stopped in the middle of traffic, duh. I decide to squeeze some "roleplaying" value out of it, so I get out, waltz over and pull the inconsiderate bitch out of her vehicle. Public announcements keep saying it's illegal to use guns to advance in traffic, but they don't say shit about using your bare hands. NPC starts running, so I jump in her car and drive her over. Job well done, right? Wrong. Because by the time I get out, the car's rolled on for another couple of metres, so when I turn around to admire my handywork, she's gone! Poof! Like German euromoneyz in a Greek bailout, not even a puff of smoke. CDPR, I can't roleplay under these conditions!

And to get back on topic, I give it fifty-fifty odds that the dynamic ambient objects system is screwing up traffic as well. That's why I was trying to test with turning the camera around to get the area in front of a stuck car out of view, but I ran out of patience. I've also noticed that stuck cars often honk when they stop, as well, like they're picking something up in front of them.

Anyway, long story short, it just sucks. There's no way around it, it's broken for all practical purposes. It's not even like NPCs milling around in circles, which you're only gonna notice if you stop to observe them, this is a constant and obvious nuisance.

Waaaay ahead of you bro. Complete with mod to make it "V-Colored", black 'n gold is his/her/diverse jam. :obviously:
https://staticdelivery.nexusmods.com/mods/3333/images/1097/1097-1613576460-715629114.jpeg
Nice! Those racing stripes should fix the acceleration!

Not embedding it, since it's a nexus link.
Are we not supposed to embed those?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Are we not supposed to embed those?
Dunno what our dark and mysterious Underlord's stance on that is, but embedding pics from other sites you haven't reuploaded somewhere else is kinda un-bro behaviour. :obviously:

I already didn't pay anything for all my mods, least I can do is not also steal their bandwidth. :hahano:

Nice! Those racing stripes should fix the acceleration!
I swear it goes from zero to topspeed in less than 30 seconds now!

Gargaune

Magister
Dunno what our dark and mysterious Underlord's stance on that is, but embedding pics from other sites you haven't reuploaded somewhere else is kinda un-bro behaviour. :obviously:

I already didn't pay anything for all my mods, least I can do is not also steal their bandwidth.
Eh, I seem to recall hosts having the ability to block off-site embedding if it's an issue for them. Besides, when it comes to the Nexus, a readily available image is more likely to drive traffic to a mod, I'd imagine. But that's an aside, I was just curious whether I'd missed something about Nexus embedding in particular.

I swear it goes from zero to topspeed in less than 30 seconds now!

:happytrollboy:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Another telltale sign this game is not GTA occured to me the other day btw. While casually speeding crusing rolling to uuuh save COOH² in my 2seater pimpmobil (made in china), I noticed hoo- wholesome women taking eddies for intercourse standing at the road. Be it from patching up or just my now higher settings, they piqued my interest.
So I drove up to one... She did not interrupt her "dance".
I skillfully pressed the horn... She did not feel the need to approach me.
Exiting the car and engaging in dialog, what did she say to me: "I ain't buying what you are selling." DAFUQ do you take me for bitch?
Sooooo... I knocked her out with Meredith Stout's vibrating dildo and put her in my trunk... She still offers no service! :argh:

0/5 will not use again.

Last edited:

Terenty

Liturgist
Playing this game for a year must be one of the most extreme cases of inflicting pain to yourself. Stop it guys, you've suffered enough

Perkel

Arcane
Someone did information video about full gameplay rebalance overahul mod from nexus. I will be probably doing playtrough with it since i bought new 4k 120hz oled tv.

Gargaune

Magister
If this game the biggest flop in the gaming history?

Even surpassing Daikatana?
Nah, not even close. CDPR's brand took a battering and the game may have underperformed commitments, but it ain't gonna put a dent in anyone's coke habit.

tritosine2k

Erudite

GTA trilogy is apparently closer with that "hotshot CEO" Zelnick peddling Take Two to Zucc as better alternative:

“I still think most people’s definition of the metaverse is a warmed over version of Second Life, and Second Life was an abject failure,” Zelnick said. “And to the extent that we are seeing expressions of the metaverse in entertainment — for example Grand Theft Auto Online and Red Dead Online, or, to use someone else’s properties, Roblox, Fortnite — they exist.” He said, “They feel a lot like the metaverse to me. I’m not sure why Facebook needs to to spend $10 billion and hire 10,000 employees — OK. But if it means something more than that, I have yet to see an analogy in human behavior that truly resonates.”

meanwhile in reality:
GTA 6 is reportedly in development hell right now and may not release until 2025. The game has apparently been rebooted multiple times, and the departure of key Rockstar talent like Leslie Benzies in 2016 and more recent GTA co-writer Dan Houser in 2020 has disrupted GTA 6's progress.

Read more: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/8272...g-so-long-as-explained-by-take-two/index.html

uh huh

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Turns out I didn't patch up all the way, missed a tiny hotfix. And it is a needed one. It's always a mystery to me how companies introduce new bugs with patches that weren't there before...

My Nomad car is not present for the lifepath quest. I knew that would happen the moment the quest started, because it was marked with a "your car" map symbol. And as expected, when I called a car to drive there, the game remembered "oh wait, he is not supposed to have it yet" and despawned it. Forever. Tripple A coding at work.
Also TVs have stopped working now. Even at the appartment V only stares at a black screen, the option to switch channels not even there anymore. Guess the cleaning lady tripped over a powercable and nobody is certified to plug it back in... :hahano:
Apparently they broke charged jump as well, because they tied it... to the framerate? I can barely jump over a fence now, while people with a pimped toaster can almost reach low orbit.
This is Bethesda all over again! I should start playing a "Bethesda Bingo" on the side, where I cross out every fuckup Beth has also done before. Fastest Bingo ever.

At least the car is listed as fixed in that 1.31 hotfix, not sure about TVs.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
This game is already going the way of the Skyrim: Shit on all levels but with people desperately trying to "fix" it via mods.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
This game is already going the way of the Skyrim: Shit on all levels but with people desperately trying to "fix" it via mods.
Except Bethesda has better PR, they would never publicly appologize or admit anything.
They knew the most important rule: "Ignore every bug except those preventing consoles from running it!"
They knew what happens when it doesn't, CDPR experienced what happens when it doesn't.
While Beth managed sell themselves to MS to gain yuge amounts of moneyz and rereleases Skyrim every few years for more milkmoney, CDPR is scarred forever and lost yuge amounts of moneyz.

Sad.
But their own fault.

Tyrr

Liturgist
Except Bethesda has better PR, they would never publicly appologize or admit anything.
They knew the most important rule: "Ignore every bug except those preventing consoles from running it!"
They knew what happens when it doesn't, CDPR experienced what happens when it doesn't.
While Beth managed sell themselves to MS to gain yuge amounts of moneyz and rereleases Skyrim every few years for more milkmoney, CDPR is scarred forever and lost yuge amounts of moneyz.

Sad.
But their own fault.
When Bethesda made Fallout 3, they went the 'Oblivion with guns' route. They knew what they could handle and made the (for them) smart move.
CDPR could also have gone the 'Witcher with guns' route, but decides to go WAY out of their league. I guess they developed some delusion of grandeur after being praised too much over the years.

pickmeister

Learned
When Bethesda made Fallout 3, they went the 'Oblivion with guns' route. They knew what they could handle and made the (for them) smart move.
CDPR could also have gone the 'Witcher with guns' route, but decides to go WAY out of their league. I guess they developed some delusion of grandeur after being praised too much over the years.
I still don't understand how did Bitcher 3, therefore CDPR, get so big. I mean, I liked it a lot because I read the books and played the previous ones and loved all of Gerwantino world. But why did it blow up so much on reddit? The most frequent critique was "The combat suck because it's not Dark Souls." and "I hate the game 'cause Gerald is a premade character and I can't LARP." so most people had no background like I did.

And that somehow led to this unsalvagable mess.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
When Bethesda made Fallout 3, they went the 'Oblivion with guns' route. They knew what they could handle and made the (for them) smart move
The irony being: everyone just expected a cheapo "Oblivion with guns" total conversion mod. But they went the extra mile to implement an optional quasi turn based combat system and a classic xp/skill/perk system. They just built it around the tech they knew (and it's limitations) well. It was just their usual writing that sucked hard.
That aside, I gave them kudos for trying, and exploring the world was decent enough.

CDPR wanted faaar too much for this game. Now we have cinematic missions with an open empty open world part that feels pointless and tacked on. To quote Johnny Silverdick: "You had a plan, it fell flat. Now you're flat."
Sad.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I still don't understand how did Bitcher 3, therefore CDPR, get so big
Because it was dark 'n edgy without trying too hard. A welcome detour from all the happy elves wonderland games.
And most importantly, CDPR, like Beth, knew their limits.
No fancy AI needed. No pathfinding nightmare. No fast traveling speeds requiring fast streaming. Inside cities even slower to ensure everything is quickly loadable.

And when they suddently needed all that for CP77, they realized neither the consoles nor they could handle it. Making it look like it was done by people without prior experience at times. Pedestrians jumping towards my car when I get near cracks me up every time...
I bet the peasant AI is still the same as in TW3, but nobody there complained that the 2 NPCs in a village only just walk up and down the road all day. :hahano:

Tyrr

Liturgist
I could be wrong, but I remember the NPC "AI" being better in W2 than W3.
(If you can call a detailed daily circle AI)

Bliblablubb

Arcane

That's a good question actually.
Daikatana and Duck Nukem Forever were vaporware with massive dev times resulting in a mediocre product and the "death" of the studio. Making you wonder if it wasn't just a long con to begin with.
No Man's Sky failed to deliver it's promises, but I think it cleaned up decently in the end?
Mass Effect Andromederp and FO76 got a lot of flak, but the companies behind it were too big too fail to make an impact.

CP77 however managed to do what the others didn't: it got pulled from the PS store and Sony gave refunds. That alone is worth an entry in history books. Add their whiny appology video that will stay forever on the internets and investors might think twice before forking over Zloties.
Real question tho is how they pay dividends in the future. There is no new title on the horizon, just bugfixing and maybe DLCs. DLCs people will be reluctant to buy for a still semi-broken game...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom