Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Kenshi - open-ended sandbox RPG set in a desert world

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
Hmm. I wonder if everyone can escape? Or did you perform some sort of world refresh / export?

SoupNazi

I don't know the specifics of this one, but I do know that some of those world-reactivity mods have events where there's a huge group of elite troops sent in to rescue their leaders. I had one of the Holy Nation leaders (not Phoenix) captured in Admag, and I ended up returning there (I think with the next captive I got? Can't quite remember.) and found a massive group of Holy Nation Paladin, as well as some named NPCs, fighting it out. I think if I wasn't there, they would have succeeded, too. So things like that can definitely happen.

Saduj

Arcane
Hmm. I wonder if everyone can escape? Or did you perform some sort of world refresh / export?

No, I never exported or anything like that. I never saw any Reavers attacking Brink or anything either. Maybe the idea was to just re-spawn Valamon next to the Ark and have him attempt to take it back but it isn't finished so he just stands there with his one small squad.

Saduj

Arcane
Had another faction come back after I turned in their leader. This time it is the Black Dogs. Usually, I leave these guys alone and they leave me alone. But a while back they tried to take advantage when they stumbled on an underpowered squad of mine - my six weakest including two noobs. Every time I knocked down the last one, another squad would show up. They would have won but when the fifth wave showed up, they didn't aggro on me and went to healing instead. My dudes were barely able to limp out of there with half my squad carrying the other half. Sent a group over to their base, killed everyone and turned their leader (who was added by the mod?) over to UC. After that their base was empty of everything including furniture and there were no more Black Dog patrols. Map screen said the base was now owned by Vagrants.

Recently, they started appearing again. Tech Hunter leader asked me to take them out. Went back to their base and it was still completely empty and owned by Vagrants. Then I noticed a static squad over on the side and sure enough, their leader was there. I like the idea but the implementation is a let down.

Zanzoken

Arcane
Community Update #42: Kenshi 2 Hivers Info plus T-Shirts Available Now

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/233860/view/2958287948734588550

T-shirts: https://robaroba.gg/collections/lo-fi-games

Screenshots:

99802e9cd9da4a39b2cbc80ecd5bea4f7df67049.jpg

ba1db30c2c3db8500b2114bf22cfac3784819592.jpg
There is more at the link I just cbf to paste it.

Last edited:

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
Started a new playthrough. I've set up a base called "Ontopoly's manufacturing INC." where we work metal for profit.

I also have an adventuring party. I feel the perfect team size is 20 people for your base and 20 for your exploring team. 20 people exploring is great because you have your memorable characters that you protect and get close to but you also have a couple no name characters that you don't really care about dying. They can die which makes it so you have to care about running into hostile situations but you don't feel like you have to save scum when they do. It's like any movie. Main characters have plot armor and occasionally you kill off a side character so that the stakes feel high.

TT1

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I just had a second playthrough and got Beep to be trained all the way to epic levels of combat. He died of injuries just after killing Lord Phoenix and it was such a PERFECT redemption arc that I decided to not even load a previous save. Fuck, I am devastated.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Before you read, I would just like to say that this is one of the few times I didn't read the full article before posting, so I have no idea what this is about. I'm just really excited about Kenshi stuff, I just take them and post them right away.

That being said, here we go:

Community Update #43: More Merch, FCS Updates, Japanese Language Overhaul & More
And yes, there's some Kenshi 2 stuff in here too!
Greetings, oh followers of Kenshi, are you well? We hope so. Here in the UK we’re largely preparing for the festive season by hoping to Okran that Christmas isn’t cancelled for the second year running. Wish us luck and stay safe out there!

We promised we’d have an update to you as quickly as we could get it out there so here we are. We’re still working on a lot of top secret stuff we can’t yet talk about but here’s what we can show you:

Kenshi 2 Modding - District Divider

We’re doing everything in our power to make sure modders are going to be given a lot of the same tools we’re developing to create Kenshi 2. Here’s the district dividing tool for you to have a gander at. Sexy right?

This new system will allow settlements/towns/cities to be created with different districts for wealth, faction, race, you name it. Squads can belong to multiple districts or none at all. If you want a district in your NPC town for everyone called Dave, now you can!

Kenshi 2 Outtakes - Here Comes the Hotstepper

e80497950512aeef408b111dac0517c7268cbb84.gif

(better version of GIF here)

For the older players out there, you may remember how in Goldeneye on the N64, pretty much everything could cause an explosion if you looked at it for long enough (well, okay if you shot it a few times). Here’s our accidental tribute to that. It won’t be making it to the final product.

Kenshi 2 - Lighting

WARNING: THIS IS NOT EXACTLY HOW KENSHI 2 WILL LOOK. WE’VE MADE THESE PREPOSTEROUS LIGHTING CONDITIONS PURELY FOR THE SAKE OF SHOWING OFF TRANSITIONS.

In Kenshi 1 there were some subtle lighting changes for different biomes. For Kenshi 2 we’re taking this much further by providing our artists and modders with the ability to set up different lighting, fog and post processing effects for different areas of the world.

This means the Oversaturation Nation and the black and white Noir Ville can now become a possibility. How these effects transition between one another can also be configured to allow for more subtle or ridiculous changes. Obviously, we’ve opted for the latter in the above examples…
did we mention this isn’t exactly how Kenshi 2 will look?

Also: JujaLand isn’t real, or in Kenshi 2. And it can’t hurt you.

New Kenshi Merch

We’re launching a range of new Beak Thing shirts and hoodies available for you to purchase from RobaRoba. We’re finally branching out from exclusively black shirts with a lovely maroon and a beautiful blue for you to pick from for these designs.

Stickers

I know we promised you stickers in the last update. Apologies for the delay; things kinda blew up and we had a lot of merch-related stuff to deal with due to your massive amount of support!

Stickers are now actually on sale! Check them out over at RobaRoba.

Kenshi 1/2 FCS - New Documentation and Updates - Coming in January

We’re constantly improving and adding features to FCS to help with the development of Kenshi 2. A lot of these changes are related to new features added to the game but a lot of them are done to improve the workflow for the rest of our team.

It’s these changes which we think would be appreciated by our (amazing) modding community as well our own team. We’ve gone to great lengths to ensure that most, if not all, of the upgrades we’re making to FCS for Kenshi 2 can also be delivered to Kenshi 1 players.

In this update we’re including a host of new features to help make mass data review and modification substantially more streamlined as well as provide detailed documentation for these features (check for Using the FCS.pdf in your games files!). I won’t go into everything here but we’ll include a full changelog of all the new features and bug fixes for anyone interested.

One feature that yielded some extra changes for Kenshi 1 was the addition of a spell check button for FCS. Turns out there’s been a couple of minor mistakes in GUI text and item descriptions for some time now. This was a good opportunity to clean these up.

We’ve also been preparing our tools for the localisation process of Kenshi 2. Whilst the game is not content complete at this current time, we certainly have a lot to be localised already.

As well as adding some improvements to our translation mode for FCS, we’ve also made a number of minor improvements for each locale for Kenshi 1 to give greater parity with the English version. This mainly includes making sure text doesn’t start and end with the wrong characters, such as when listing the requirements for crafting an item.

Revised Japanese Translation Update

f2853ea5be4aef57346e9a574d23f3f867f6cec7.jpg

6th December marks the 3rd anniversary of Kenshi’s 1.0 release, and Lo-Fi Games is delighted to push out a new and revised Japanese-localised version of Kenshi for the occasion.

Kenshi has gone through multiple Japanese updates since it was first launched in Beta, but they didn’t quite reach a standard we were happy with. As such, we have reviewed and overhauled the entire (humongous) text.

We have to take a moment here to thank our newest and rather fantastic full-time recruit Meg, AKA Gumstar, who’s been working with us for a long while, but has now joined Lo-Fi Games as a full-time employee. Meg took on the challenge of re-translating the entire text herself, at the same time as managing our Japanese community and PR.

Meg will soon be working on the Kenshi 2 Japanese localisation, meaning we’re going to be getting a very high quality Japanese edition of the game as soon as it’s released!

The new translation pushed out today focused on:

• Making sure that dialogue is both conversational and functional, while maintaining accuracy. Some conversational selections during dialogue events can change the game experience, so it was important to translate accurately while still sounding like a normal conversation. There are also typically English ironies and jokes that were lost in translation. We retranslated them contextually without using the exact words that suited better for Japanese.
  • Consistency in terms and tones - Kenshi has been translated by multiple translators in the past, resulting in inconsistent terms and tones throughout the game. This updated version eliminated most of the inconsistencies.
  • Maintaining the World of Kenshi - This new version no longer contains ‘Keigo’ (Honorifics) and is translated in a completely gender-neutral tone. There are sections of the game where the characters are assigned with random dialogues, so having gender-specific tones or Keigo doesn’t work for Kenshi. We tried to translate the best way we could with restricted tones without spoiling the game world.
  • Changes in Proper Nouns - Some mistranslated or questionable proper nouns translated into Japanese are now changed or expressed in Katakana (phonics). Some of the changes include location names such as Eye Socket and Okran’s Shield. We pondered a lot about changing some of the location names that players have grown accustomed to, but we wanted to ensure consistency with some of the terms that might appear in Kenshi 2.

While it took us over 2 years to complete the revised translation, there are probably quite a few misspellings and missing words with just one set of eyes going through it. If you notice anything, please get in touch here or via our social media.

Thanks for waiting for a long time for the new update, and we sincerely hope that you enjoy the new translation.

That’s all, folks

FriendlyMerchant

Before you read, I would just like to say that this is one of the few times I didn't read the full article before posting, so I have no idea what this is about. I'm just really excited about Kenshi stuff, I just take them and post them right away.

That being said, here we go:

Community Update #43: More Merch, FCS Updates, Japanese Language Overhaul & More
And yes, there's some Kenshi 2 stuff in here too!
Greetings, oh followers of Kenshi, are you well? We hope so. Here in the UK we’re largely preparing for the festive season by hoping to Okran that Christmas isn’t cancelled for the second year running. Wish us luck and stay safe out there!

We promised we’d have an update to you as quickly as we could get it out there so here we are. We’re still working on a lot of top secret stuff we can’t yet talk about but here’s what we can show you:

Kenshi 2 Modding - District Divider

We’re doing everything in our power to make sure modders are going to be given a lot of the same tools we’re developing to create Kenshi 2. Here’s the district dividing tool for you to have a gander at. Sexy right?

This new system will allow settlements/towns/cities to be created with different districts for wealth, faction, race, you name it. Squads can belong to multiple districts or none at all. If you want a district in your NPC town for everyone called Dave, now you can!

Kenshi 2 Outtakes - Here Comes the Hotstepper

e80497950512aeef408b111dac0517c7268cbb84.gif

(better version of GIF here)

For the older players out there, you may remember how in Goldeneye on the N64, pretty much everything could cause an explosion if you looked at it for long enough (well, okay if you shot it a few times). Here’s our accidental tribute to that. It won’t be making it to the final product.

Kenshi 2 - Lighting

WARNING: THIS IS NOT EXACTLY HOW KENSHI 2 WILL LOOK. WE’VE MADE THESE PREPOSTEROUS LIGHTING CONDITIONS PURELY FOR THE SAKE OF SHOWING OFF TRANSITIONS.

In Kenshi 1 there were some subtle lighting changes for different biomes. For Kenshi 2 we’re taking this much further by providing our artists and modders with the ability to set up different lighting, fog and post processing effects for different areas of the world.

This means the Oversaturation Nation and the black and white Noir Ville can now become a possibility. How these effects transition between one another can also be configured to allow for more subtle or ridiculous changes. Obviously, we’ve opted for the latter in the above examples…
did we mention this isn’t exactly how Kenshi 2 will look?

Also: JujaLand isn’t real, or in Kenshi 2. And it can’t hurt you.

New Kenshi Merch

We’re launching a range of new Beak Thing shirts and hoodies available for you to purchase from RobaRoba. We’re finally branching out from exclusively black shirts with a lovely maroon and a beautiful blue for you to pick from for these designs.

Stickers

I know we promised you stickers in the last update. Apologies for the delay; things kinda blew up and we had a lot of merch-related stuff to deal with due to your massive amount of support!

Stickers are now actually on sale! Check them out over at RobaRoba.

Kenshi 1/2 FCS - New Documentation and Updates - Coming in January

We’re constantly improving and adding features to FCS to help with the development of Kenshi 2. A lot of these changes are related to new features added to the game but a lot of them are done to improve the workflow for the rest of our team.

It’s these changes which we think would be appreciated by our (amazing) modding community as well our own team. We’ve gone to great lengths to ensure that most, if not all, of the upgrades we’re making to FCS for Kenshi 2 can also be delivered to Kenshi 1 players.

In this update we’re including a host of new features to help make mass data review and modification substantially more streamlined as well as provide detailed documentation for these features (check for Using the FCS.pdf in your games files!). I won’t go into everything here but we’ll include a full changelog of all the new features and bug fixes for anyone interested.

One feature that yielded some extra changes for Kenshi 1 was the addition of a spell check button for FCS. Turns out there’s been a couple of minor mistakes in GUI text and item descriptions for some time now. This was a good opportunity to clean these up.

We’ve also been preparing our tools for the localisation process of Kenshi 2. Whilst the game is not content complete at this current time, we certainly have a lot to be localised already.

As well as adding some improvements to our translation mode for FCS, we’ve also made a number of minor improvements for each locale for Kenshi 1 to give greater parity with the English version. This mainly includes making sure text doesn’t start and end with the wrong characters, such as when listing the requirements for crafting an item.

Revised Japanese Translation Update

f2853ea5be4aef57346e9a574d23f3f867f6cec7.jpg

6th December marks the 3rd anniversary of Kenshi’s 1.0 release, and Lo-Fi Games is delighted to push out a new and revised Japanese-localised version of Kenshi for the occasion.

Kenshi has gone through multiple Japanese updates since it was first launched in Beta, but they didn’t quite reach a standard we were happy with. As such, we have reviewed and overhauled the entire (humongous) text.

We have to take a moment here to thank our newest and rather fantastic full-time recruit Meg, AKA Gumstar, who’s been working with us for a long while, but has now joined Lo-Fi Games as a full-time employee. Meg took on the challenge of re-translating the entire text herself, at the same time as managing our Japanese community and PR.

Meg will soon be working on the Kenshi 2 Japanese localisation, meaning we’re going to be getting a very high quality Japanese edition of the game as soon as it’s released!

The new translation pushed out today focused on:

• Making sure that dialogue is both conversational and functional, while maintaining accuracy. Some conversational selections during dialogue events can change the game experience, so it was important to translate accurately while still sounding like a normal conversation. There are also typically English ironies and jokes that were lost in translation. We retranslated them contextually without using the exact words that suited better for Japanese.
  • Consistency in terms and tones - Kenshi has been translated by multiple translators in the past, resulting in inconsistent terms and tones throughout the game. This updated version eliminated most of the inconsistencies.
  • Maintaining the World of Kenshi - This new version no longer contains ‘Keigo’ (Honorifics) and is translated in a completely gender-neutral tone. There are sections of the game where the characters are assigned with random dialogues, so having gender-specific tones or Keigo doesn’t work for Kenshi. We tried to translate the best way we could with restricted tones without spoiling the game world.
  • Changes in Proper Nouns - Some mistranslated or questionable proper nouns translated into Japanese are now changed or expressed in Katakana (phonics). Some of the changes include location names such as Eye Socket and Okran’s Shield. We pondered a lot about changing some of the location names that players have grown accustomed to, but we wanted to ensure consistency with some of the terms that might appear in Kenshi 2.

While it took us over 2 years to complete the revised translation, there are probably quite a few misspellings and missing words with just one set of eyes going through it. If you notice anything, please get in touch here or via our social media.

Thanks for waiting for a long time for the new update, and we sincerely hope that you enjoy the new translation.

That’s all, folks

Are there going to be any new features like reproduction of Greenlander males with Sturdy Shek females? Please tell me there's going to be Strong Sturdy Female Shek Snu-snu.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Something about mods in one of the most interesting MMO's I have ever seen just made me stop reading and get ready for a sale.

I didn't know it had mods so I am buying it.

Last edited:

mondblut

Arcane
Ok, after some extensive testing I can confirm that this crack works to skip the 256 character limit check when recruiting via dialog:

Open the executable in hex editor. Look for the following byte sequence:
0000 7541 498B 0649
and change to:
0000 7500 498B 0649

(41 > 00 at offset 0052BF03 in gog 1.51 version)

Does not work for slaves joining on their own as they don't use the "your party is a little full" message and must have their joining handled elsewhere in the code, so equip yourself with either Player Slavery or Recruitable Prisoners to go all in with Kenshi: Total War.

For new version 1.55JP (gog), the offset to edit 41>00 is 005310A3.

FriendlyMerchant

Kenshi has sold 1 million copies until 2020. Probably more in 2022.

Steamspy
Owners: 1,000,000 .. 2,000,000
Followers: 212,643
Peak concurrent players yesterday: 5,493

This game is a unmitigated success and makes me feel so warm inside.

The Floodlands concept for Kenshi2 is absolutely bonkers. Looks like something done by Moebius (L'Incal).
Kenshi-2.jpg

That floodlands hash smuggling is going to be great.

Salvo

Arcane
Is that big overhal mod Project Genesis good?
I've found it EXTREMELY bloated with half-finished content and dev pet-towns everywhere, alongside new factions that have no place in a world as bleak as Kenshi's. An example I can make is the Guild of Surgeons, an organization / faction with their own HQ that's entirely dedicated to healing others... for no profit? In Kenshi? Nah.

Also, the mods included overuse Skeletons, which can no longer mainly be found in the Black Desert but practically in every region in the world, having formed their own towns. I find it jarring.

You're better off grabbing a few essential mods (x3 Attack slots, Dark UI, Reactive World etc...) and go off that. All modpacks are too big for their own good.

Oh, the owner / creator of the mod is a talented but young dude that constantly changes his mind, and starts things from scratch / makes big changes to the map in every patch.

XenomorphII

Prophet
It is alright if you have played kenshi already but otherwise play with more specific mods first. It really changes the feeling of the game, and makes it more crowded.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom