Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Battletech

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
I'm not debating politics with you until you answer the question as to why you got banned. And since you wouldn't be going these lengths to hide it unless it was horrendous, I guess that's the end of this conversation.

I got banned for saying I supported President Trump. I'm not hiding anything. It's not relevant to this discussion princess.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
I'm not debating politics with you until you answer the question as to why you got banned. And since you wouldn't be going these lengths to hide it unless it was horrendous, I guess that's the end of this conversation.

I got banned for saying I supported President Trump. I'm not hiding anything. It's not relevant to this discussion princess.

:martini: The truth will set you free my friend!

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!

If true, then that's a pretty shitty reason to ban anyone.

OTOH I thought I read somewhere that they were going to keep woke politics out of Btech, very likely related to their latest Clan Kickstarter. I absolutely cannot, for the life of me, find the source though.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist

OTOH I thought I read somewhere that they were going to keep woke politics out of Btech, very likely related to their latest Clan Kickstarter. I absolutely cannot, for the life of me, find the source though.
the battletech discords arent too different from this website. More polite, but there's a more laid-back approach. One of the latest rules in the discord I'm in is that Boba Fett's ship is to be referred to as the Slave I and nothing else. A non-serious rule, obviously, but there was basically no pushback on it because it is not the kind of community that claps at the smoothing of edges and rounding of corners.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck

After I got banned, I stopped playing BT altogether. I spent a good 30 odd years supporting FASA then CG financially.

I do enjoy talking about the history of the universe as it was from Star League to 3rd Succession War. I refused to play against Clan players because, to me, it gutted the entire universe. It went from Dark Ages in Space to Arms Race 3.0 with the Clans always getting the better stuff. It practically invalidated all of the older IS mechs. The 2750 TRO wasn't nearly as bad as the 3050 since the upgrades were only incremental versus the double or more effectiveness of Clan equipment.

The plot went off the rails for me as well once the Battle of Tukkyid was concluded. From what I've seen about 3145 is that it's just a retread of 3050 with the paint changed.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Yes, FASA committed a common mistake by pursuing short-term profits over long-term soundness, by shaking up their setting with a Clan invasion (followed by further drastic changes in the setting). Although companies are able to entice more money from their existing players who seek to keep up with these setting changes and the overarching plot, this results in the balkanization of the fanbase and long-term deterioration.

JamesDixon

GM Extraordinaire
Patron
Dumbfuck
Yes, FASA committed a common mistake by pursuing short-term profits over long-term soundness, by shaking up their setting with a Clan invasion (followed by further drastic changes in the setting). Although companies are able to entice more money from their existing players who seek to keep up with these setting changes and the overarching plot, this results in the balkanization of the fanbase and long-term deterioration.

I remember it was common at the FLGS for people to ask what army they were fielding. The moment someone said clans a good portion of the old timers would stick to playing games between themselves. A lot of the new players would play with each other using the 3050 tech and rules. That crack still exists to this day. You have people like me that prefer 2750-3025 and people who play everything or just the clan era etc...

What really got me was when they got to 3062 they blew up the entire Inner Sphere to return it to the pre-clan dark age in space. What a waste.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Battletech is extremely high tier. I found a battletech group that is resuming their regular sessions next month, so I'm going to go join them. I've always been a pc gamer rather than tabletop, but I've been a fan of battletech for so long that I ought to give it a go. Megamek is also great fun for a quick, no frills skirmish.

I like the rpg aspects of the game too, so it's a shame that there hasnt been a battletech crpg since the 80s.

Remember, Capellans are the good guys.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Battletech is extremely high tier. I found a battletech group that is resuming their regular sessions next month, so I'm going to go join them. I've always been a pc gamer rather than tabletop, but I've been a fan of battletech for so long that I ought to give it a go. Megamek is also great fun for a quick, no frills skirmish.

I like the rpg aspects of the game too, so it's a shame that there hasnt been a battletech crpg since the 80s.

Remember, Capellans are the good guys.

kind of was in 2018

MartinK

Learned

Seeking short term profit is the rational choice. How do you know you won’t be iseakaid by truck-chan tommorow? Besides, when you look at Battletech, it is not hard to see it as something outdated, milking it for short term profit it before it falls into obscurity is what any manager would do.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The Clans, FedCom Civil War, and the XinSheng Movement are all defensible additions to Battletech. After that... I guess it never saw widespread acceptance because I really don't know much about it. Maybe that could change with a little work and maybe some new PC games set in the period. Or maybe it will be forgotten and people will just assume that the IlKhan period follows the rise of the Capellans and dissolution of the Fed Commonwealth.

Personally, I am waiting for the next era when the Marian Hegemony and Capellans split the entire Inner Sphere, creating a Neo-Antiquity utopia.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Sadly, I ended up giving my friend my copy of AGoAC. I liked playing it the two times I did, but CGL is not a very well-run company, and after hearing rumors of employing sex offenders and embezzlement, alongside a complete inability to keep the game even remotely in stock, I'll just stick with something else.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I wonder - what's the crossover figure for 40k and Battletech? For a year or so I've been reading about people jumping ship to the latter.

And just so it's not a cheap necro have some music.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Battletech is incline, it is never a mistake to reply to Battletech threads. It has been over 30 years since we last saw a Battletech crpg. May the wait end soon.

MartinK

Learned
Battletech is incline, it is never a mistake to reply to Battletech threads. It has been over 30 years since we last saw a Battletech crpg. May the wait end soon.

You can end the wait yourself! Make BT knockoff changing just enough not to be sued. You can even get more radical and fix the stuff you find stupid. As long as it has mechs, the same style of warfare and decaying neofeudal empires styled after poorly understood carricatures of real life cultures, it’s battletech enough for near everyone (they willl not admit that). Worked well for Paizo.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom