Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Hunter: The Reckoning

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
I am not a White Wolf fan (literally only played VTMB and the new WTAE)
But I do like read the WW wiki as well as some of their rule books I have in pdf
And one particular "module" I find fascinating is 'Hunter: The Reckoning' - both in concept and it's place in the WW universe.

I've always preferred traditional horror concepts (undead, werewolves, witches, demons, etc...) over the more modern ones (including Lovecraft)
But the idea of supernatural hunters is something I think works best in games
Not that I don't appreciate them in film/books/comics, but it's mostly in the context of the action genre as I don't find them versatile enough for much else
But since one of the major functions of games is to "simulate" a challenge, hunters seem particularly suited to this medium

Which is why I always found odd why WW never bothered much with Hunter, specially pushing it in videogames (yes I am aware of the 'High Voltage Software' games, but that doesn't amount to much)
So I did a little "reasearch"

Publication History
-----------------------------

HTR came out in November 1999, and for the next months it was followed with complementary books for the various creeds
Then in 2002 it got a few more auxiliary books regarding implementations with other WoD creatures and events
By 2004 it was formally concluded in 'World of Darkness: Time of Judgment' (the "end times" book for the other WoD lines aside from the big 3)

And... really that's it.
After that there's nothing more regarding Hunter (same with the Fallen)
The new line 'Chronicles of Darkness' introduces 'Hunter: The Vigil' which gets roughly the same amount of content as HTR, but the CoD line is killed off in 2011 and replaced by the ressurected nuWoD
But Hunter just stayed dead and buried.

Why?
Well I didn't find anything specific on the sales, but it seems it's success didn't stand out nor was it negative
But I did find out that Hunter was a very divise line in the WW community
Some quite passionately loved the game, but most hated it and it's mention was enough to ignite flame wars in the WW forums
And this is why I think HTR failed, it ultimately wasn't a popular line, as it's premise didn't really satisfy most WW players

The system

HTR premise is as it follows:
"Certain mortals when first come into contact with supernatural beings are, for some reason, bestowed upon supernatural power by unknown beings simply referred to as 'Messengers'. These powers reflect and are granted in accordance with the Imbued's personality, ideals and perhaps more importantly what action he took to deal with the supernatural during that first contact. After being "awakened" to this knowledge, their perception of the world is never the same. And they must continuously protect humanity from these perils, or risk losing their powers, the one thing that protects them from the monsters among us. This burden however slowly but surely takes it's toll on the hunters body, mind and spirit. Making the perservation of themselves is even more difficult a task than figthing monsters. Can the player succeed is mission and retain their humanity?"

At first glance threre seems to be nothing wrong with this concept, but the more you read into the specifics of the systems and rules, the more you'll see the contradictions in it's design.

The Imbued aren't very powerful.
Their "edges" are mostly scouting tools and protection against effects of mental influences (like illusions, werewolf's delirium, the pleasure of a vampire's kiss, etc...)
Their highest powers are specifically stated to be impossible to attain outside of "end times" scenarios where Messengers remove all restrictions on their Imbued, or if you GM explicitly let's you have them
But even then, these hunters are at most as dangerous as a newly embraced vampire
This is actually something that hilariously stands in stark contrast with the artwork in HTR books, that depicts hunters winning over werewolves in direct confrontations

In fact in this even why I said those 3 HTR videogames from High Voltage Software don't count, because those Imbued are far more powerfull than anything the rulebooks allow for
Indeed the way the Imbued are presented in those books, makes it impossible to design a satisfying HTR videogame (specially in the action genre)
Only if they work in groups could they be effective, but this is very difficult because of the next aspect of HTR design

There's a big emphasis on the Imbued's "sanity"
While a good idea on paper, one that does make sense and spices things up, it is unfortunately taken almost to the extreme in HTR
For staters the rulebooks encourage players to role-play specifically as "Joes" from the lower ends of society, but what's really bad about it, is how binary it wants your Imbued to go about: either he's some loner that it starting to crack over the pressure of mainting both his "regular life" and the hunt; or he's a member of a hunter's group made up of unhinged zealots
It really doesn't want the players to be anything in-between, like openning a buissness (even one as a front) or driving around the country taking jobs
It's either crazy loner or fanatical terrist cell
But wait, it's even more restrictive than this, as I previously said it's very difficult for groups of Imbued to get along, as the texts kept insisting that the Imbued are too ignorant, paranoid and insane to organize like this in an effective way
And to make matters even worse, the more powerful your hunter is, the more unhinged he becomes
Despite being established that the Imbued's powers are really nothing special

The problem

So essentially HTR is a "orphan game", that can't decide if it wants to be about cool superpowered hunters, or if it wants to be White Wolf's 'Call of Cthulhu' copycat, and this split the playerbase

The people that liked the latter, hated everything sorrounding Messengers, specifically the powers they granted, as they saw that as making the Imbued just another supernatural creature instead of the advertised "regular folk" struggling with their newfound perception of reality
And the people that wanted the former hated the fact that powers were lame, lacked versatility and were simply weak, which didn't let them figth off monsters as they expected, plus the exaggerated insanity was just too big a penalty for so little gain

Both complaints are equally legitimate despite their contradictory nature

As I see it, the only ways to fix this systems would be by either:
  1. Completly ditching the Messengers and their powers and tonning down on the whole "insanity" aspect
  2. Buff hunters to the point even a recently Imbued can directly take on newly embraced vampire
WW already tried out the first solution with 'The Vigil' (although some would say that game is more revamp of the old 'Hunters Hunted' supplement book for VTM, rather than a following to HTR), and it got canned like the rest of that line
And I don't see them ever making the Imbued that powefull, specially considering that most of WW fanboys would have a brain fart if their precious faggy leeches, fursonas and wicca self-inserts were to be this easily threatened by mortals

I personally prefer solution number 2, but the the only way I can see it being implemented, is if someone decides to make another HTR videogame...

Last edited:

Jason Liang

Arcane
There are Hunter themes in the other lines that White Wolf was developing at the time (Exalted and Trinity).

My impression of Hunters are colored from my experience in VtES, and there they really broke the game, a lot of players would agree that Imbued are one of the worst mechanics ever introduced.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Hunters in VTM and WTA are always groups of regular humans
WW games pretty much never make use of the Imbued

If they were so powerful they broke that game, than that is yet another example of the devs massively buffing their powers from those found in the rulebooks

Last edited:

Eldagusto

Educated
In my opinion one of the core facets of the Hunter Game is it didn't really need anything past the Corebook. It even encouraged people to change the setting to their liking. And when they used other Gamelines it would make more sense to use the antagonists from those Gamelines. So Hunters would be as likely to hunt Fomori from Werewolf rather then Garou.

Eldagusto

Educated
They revealed Hunter the Reckoning Replaced Mage the Ascension as one of the Big Three Splats for 5th ed after Vampire and Werewolf. But it sounds more like Hunter the Vigil, and they might not even be Imbued, like a Hunters Hunted Corebook.

J1M

Arcane
Hunter has a lot of potential as an archetype in the setting. Perhaps one of the highest potential as an entry point to the World of Darkness for new players. Exploring the bestiary from that perspective would be great in a game like Bloodlines, especially sifting through rumor and legend to help you track foes and exploit weaknesses.

Where reality diverged from that potential is quite plain. The authors viewed the project as a quick re-skin of other books. Other products had a humanity/sanity mechanic, so Hunter has one too. Vampires have small coteries, so Hunters do too. And so on with the supernatural power source.

Hunters should be more of a cross between Batman and Van Helsing. No inherent powers. Seeking knowledge, taking supernatural trophies, and trading religious artifacts to give them an edge against the night.

To make the game function, just say that they can resist mind-altering effects of vampires due to knowing that they are real or whatever. (Call it a lesser "true faith" effect or something.)

There's also no reason Hunter couldn't function episodically like the X-Files TV show did with its monster of the week setup.

Last edited:

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Hunters should be more of a cross between Batman and Van Helsing. No inherent powers. Seeking knowledge, taking supernatural trophies, and trading religious artifacts to give them an edge against the night.

Which is what hunters are in Hunter: the Vigil, at least until you get to high tier stuff where you're either dead or way past the "saw weird shit in the dark and refused to look away" phase you started from. People tend to forget Hunter: the Reckoning was never really about playing a normal person, but rather something that became a supernatural splat in its own right.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
They revealed Hunter the Reckoning Replaced Mage the Ascension as one of the Big Three Splats for 5th ed after Vampire and Werewolf.

What? Why?
Do you have citation?

The authors viewed the project as a quick re-skin of other books.

Holy shit, that actually explains alot

No inherent powers. Seeking knowledge, taking supernatural trophies, and trading religious artifacts to give them an edge against the night.

That's a good idea
But I think they should keep some part of the Imbued stuff. Not the overt "superpowers" (that should be gained from the artifacts like you said, plus tech), but could possess some attributes of mystical origin due to their special status - resistance to mental influences (including immunity to illusions); a 6th sense; resistance to a vampire's bite and other supernatural "infections"; the exclusive ability to use those artifacts; and perhaps their greatest asset, a exponentially easier body/mind/spirit to train (ie, what a regular person takes years to attain, they can get it in months, be it a skill or attribute of any kind)
Althought I also like the idea that they can imbue certain materials and substances with mystical effects

People tend to forget Hunter: the Reckoning was never really about playing a normal person, but rather something that became a supernatural splat in its own right.

Yeah but even the most far gone imbued are barely threat compared to a new vampire
There's almost no benefit to their supernatural powers when they come loaded with such heavy penalties and still are barely better than a regular human hunter

Like I said, if the Hunter line were to be renewed they should either drop the Messengers and that supernatural stuff, or buff the Imbued until they are actually capable of handling monsters on their own

Last edited:

J1M

Arcane
My thought around taking trophies was that it could be a story hook and means for a non-supernatural character to climb the power curve to more interesting foes.

For example, using monster body parts as magical wards or weapons.

Jason Liang

Arcane
My thought around taking trophies was that it could be a story hook and means for a non-supernatural character to climb the power curve to more interesting foes.

For example, using monster body parts as magical wards or weapons.
Hunters in V5 do this, see the Winter's Teeth comic series.

Doesn't stop them from being morons though.

Eldagusto

Educated
They revealed Hunter the Reckoning Replaced Mage the Ascension as one of the Big Three Splats for 5th ed after Vampire and Werewolf.

What? Why?
Do you have citation?

The authors viewed the project as a quick re-skin of other books.

Holy shit, that actually explains alot

No inherent powers. Seeking knowledge, taking supernatural trophies, and trading religious artifacts to give them an edge against the night.

That's a good idead
But I think they should keep some part of the Imbued stuff. Not the overt "superpowers" (that should be gained from the artifacts like you said, plus tech), but could possess some attributes of mystical origin due to their special status - resistance to mental influences (including immunity to illusions); a 6th sense; resistance to a vampire's bite and other supernatural "infections"; the exclusive ability to use those artifacts; and perhaps their greatest asset, a exponentially easier body/mind/spirit to train (ie, what a regular person takes years to attain, they can get it in months, be it a skill or attribute of any kind)
Althought I also like the idea that they can imbue certain materials and substances with mystical effects

People tend to forget Hunter: the Reckoning was never really about playing a normal person, but rather something that became a supernatural splat in its own right.

Yeah but even the most far gone imbued are barely threat compared to a new vampire
There's almost no benefit to their supernatural powers when they come loaded with such heavy penalties and still are barely better than a regular human hunter

Like I said, if the Hunter line were to be renewed they should either drop the Messengers and that supernatural stuff, or buff the Imbued until they are actually capable of handling monsters on their own

Hunter: The Reckoning - first look at the new edition | World of (worldofdarkness.com)

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Yeah it's like you, it's closer to Hunter: The Vigil than to HTR
At no point they gave any indication of the Hunter's being Imbued

Also this artwork concept:

187468438_521179142255089_1355979304325168496_n.png

:lol:

Eldagusto

Educated
Yeah it's like you, it's closer to Hunter: The Vigil than to HTR
At no point they gave any indication of the Hunter's being Imbued

Also this artwork concept:

:lol:

I pointed out on Reddit that this is more evidence it’s not Imbued because Imbued have powers that can heal paralysis and cure cancer. I got mass downvoted for that one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom