Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Worst Witch-Hunter: A CYOA TCF Play by Post

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Welcome to The Worst Witch Hunter. This is going to be a play-by-post game different to the one I'm running over there, in that thread. Instead of a traditional dungeon-crawling adventure in my City Fathers setting, this is going to be a Choose Your Own Adventure game. I will write a post, give you three options, and the first person to respond will get to choose. Occasionally I will draw some visual aids, by shamelessly ripping off Flork's art style:

T7tSz2t.png

I have, as you can see, highly limited artistic talent. There's only one character, and the story will continue unless the 'players', literally anyone making choices in the thread, ends up killing the characters. Or people stop responding entirely.

The RPG system will be a semi-modified version of Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, and whenever there is combat, it will be resolved in an automated fashion. You very much can die during combat, so be careful. Typically I will post a description of what is currently happening and the players(you) must choose from four options. It's meant to be a bit of a poked fun at the "dialogue wheel".

This is our character:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1XFvCPnB6Saawy91IDw3YvU-9MYNhgOch/view?usp=sharing

In the next post, I will start the game.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
Chapter One: New Kid on the Block
It is a bright and sunny Emirsday. The beginning of the week, Emirsday is known among many in this Great City as a way to get yourself to work on time and have a fresh and wonderful start to the week. Isn't that nice?

psCLqcp.png

You are Karl, one of the city's Engineering graduates, which means you've been assigned to a Arbitrate(think like a small neighborhood, but not small at all) where you will assist the Arbiter in all things Engineering! It's your first gig, so you'd better hurry up because you have a ways to go!

A) Hurry on to work.
B) Take your time. Check the surroundings. Assess yourself.
C) Actually, you would like to get something to eat first.

infidel

StarInfidel
Developer
Strap Yourselves In
My first choice would be A... but we're on Codex, right? It means a random passing war-elephant might kill me, so better to go with B... No, wait! If I don't eat, I'm sure the hidden food meter will suddenly start working at the critical moment...
:shredder:
This is tense already. Ok, I really wanna get promoted in the grim darkness of the past, let's go with A anyway.

Why is consume alcohol a skill? I thought it didn't require any :D.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Why is consume alcohol a skill? I thought it didn't require any :D.

I'm less familiar with WFRPG than Dark Heresy, but the skills system look similar: basic skills are automaticaly known to every character, but can be improved, so you can get better at them. Though reading the basic skill list, that seems a lot to be able to do without training, like drive, ride, combat, navigation... (unless some were gained as part of chargen).

I'll vote B to avoid any elephants

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
A) Hurry on to work.

No time like the present! You hurry away from your engineering college and turn back to look at it one last time. Unlike everything else, the college is still remarkably clean. The watcher on the roof stares at you with its black eyes, and then takes heed of something else. You're gonna miss the place, for sure! At this, you head down the side of the main street leading from it, passing various shops, beggars, homeless people and worse until you finally arrive at a junction. You can see the shimmering waves of the next arbitrate over, but as you hand your papers to the bored gatekeeper, he pulls a handful of levers and the shimmer changes until it resembles a somewhat dilapidated and miserable looking little neighbourhood. "Easy to find the Arbiter, they're the biggest house. Poor assignment, less than 70 people in this neighbourhood." He opens the door to the gate, and indicates for you to step through with a hurry-along type gesture, pointing to the dozens of people behind you that have begun to line up. Thimmer is a busy place.

A) Step through.
B) Change your mind.
C) Roll Lore(Engineering) to understand what the fuck this thing is.

Self-Ejected

TheDiceMustRoll

Game Analist
C) Roll Lore(Engineering) to understand what the fuck this thing is.

Roll! 1d100 = 51
Roll = failure.
Success Level: -2

HrUyCkM.png

Clearly this is some kind of dwarven mechanism or somesuch device, a locomotion that allows you to move at top speeds across the city. You have no actual clue, but it seems to make sense to you. You must have some brain damage from the drinking you did at the college.

The gatekeeper stares at you, and then says loudly "You're supposed to step through the door way, " loudly enunciating every word like he's talking to a small and slow child.

A) Do what he says.
B) Spend a fate point to re-roll
C) Make a Dark compact (1 corruption gained) to pass the roll automatically.
D) Ask the Gatekeeper what the device is.

Last edited:

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
D) Ask the Gatekeeper what the device is.
inbe4 we get clubbed for asking stupid questions and wasting everyone's time;
Also we're an academic with a career as engineer, so it's a bit shameful to fail this, it should be our speciality! (Though apparently that's a common pitfall with the DH/WFRGP d100 system)

D. Why wait on DEVOUR SOUL when we can start now?
I think the devour soul option in that context would be the Dark compact

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom