Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pentiment - Josh Sawyer's historical mystery narrative-driven game set in 16th century Bavaria

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
My problem with saying Disco Elysium isn't an RPG is that it seems that Planescape: Torment's Sigil minus trash mobs would play in a very similar way. I think there are other aspects of Disco Elysium's design besides character progression and skill checks that make it RPG-like. The way characters and quests are laid out isn't the same as in a typical adventure game, where characters basically only exist in the world to participate in one-off puzzles and story events. The game's characters work like typical roleplaying game town NPCs, persistent in the world with extensive dialogue trees that you can revisit at any time.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
aweigh says there's combat haters in this thread.

I guess Jeff Grubb let some info leak on Obsidian's Disco Sawyerium. Nothing really explosive or anything.

https://www.reddit.com/r/GamingLeak..._sawyer_obsidian_game_details_from_grubbsnax/

• Focusing on experimental mechanics and interactions.
  • It's still being developed by a small team.
  • 16th century Europe setting.
  • Still planned to have no combat.
  • Murder mystery RPG. You will be investigating a murder by talking to people and building a case. You can accuse people of murder. You will possibly continue to play even if you get it wrong and see the consequences.
  • Planned to be coming out in 2022.

Strange that is would have the same EXACT plot as DE.
I thought Soyer said DE isn't a rpg?

vazha

Arcane
If I remember correctly, Josh only played a couple of hours of Elysium.
Thank you. He even said in some podcast that he didn't like skill checks in Disco. I believe this game shall be like Pillars but more revolutionary in every aspect. This experimental gameplay I think they already made it in the game since Pentiment would be already released but they double down with new experimental stuff.

Can't wait for Sediment, the RPG game with no combat, no skills, and no dice. Loosely based on a drunk reading of the Amber ruleset and with a UI and narrative resembling checking out wikipedia for 30 hours.
:slamdunk:
Followed by Impediment as he files for bankruptcy.

If I remember correctly, Josh only played a couple of hours of Elysium.
Thank you. He even said in some podcast that he didn't like skill checks in Disco. I believe this game shall be like Pillars but more revolutionary in every aspect. This experimental gameplay I think they already made it in the game since Pentiment would be already released but they double down with new experimental stuff.

Can't wait for Sediment, the RPG game with no combat, no skills, and no dice. Loosely based on a drunk reading of the Amber ruleset and with a UI and narrative resembling checking out wikipedia for 30 hours.
:slamdunk:
Followed by Impediment as he files for bankruptcy.
Penitent Josh
- A Fallen Legend -

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
What's Midnight?
Compulsion joined Microsoft near the start of their content acquisition spree. The firm is known primarily for We Happy Few, which despite some gameplay problems, delivered big in the art direction department. We Happy Few's twisted vision of a fallen Britain proved a truly intriguing concept, and solidified Compulsion as a studio with a lot of potential.

Recently, we received some details on Compulsion's first outing as part of Xbox Game Studios. Currently codenamed "Midnight," this upcoming title is supposedly a third-person action game set in a dark and fantastical world. Some of the game's early concept artwork can be seen above. They represent the game's protagonist, alongside warped harpy-like humanoids that appear to descend through various iterations of mutation. On the left, we can see what appears to be harpy nest-style dwellings built atop a tree.

Midnight is described as a "coming of age" tale drawing upon inspirations from America's Deep South. The game features magic and large fantastical beasts with a strong "southern gothic" vibe. The game is a wholly single-player experience, with what has been described to me as a "strong" story.

Cringe Canadians doing a game about the American south.

Sannom

Augur
I thought Soyer said DE isn't a rpg?
You people really need to back up those things about Sawyer and Disco Elysium with some quotes and links because I can't remember him saying any of that stuff. He made a "talk" comparing Deadfire and DE's approach to player choice for crying out loud!

Codex Year of the Donut
My problem with saying Disco Elysium isn't an RPG is that it seems that Planescape: Torment's Sigil minus trash mobs would play in a very similar way. I think there are other aspects of Disco Elysium's design besides character progression and skill checks that make it RPG-like. The way characters and quests are laid out isn't the same as in a typical adventure game, where characters basically only exist in the world to participate in one-off puzzles and story events. The game's characters work like typical roleplaying game town NPCs, persistent in the world with extensive dialogue trees that you can revisit at any time.
do you guys even play non-rpgs made in the past 20 years?

dialogue trees have become the standard for all video games
C&C-style branching is considered a major feature of fucking coach simulator sports games

the leeway given to these games because you happen to like them can be applied to nearly every game on the market as every genre has been RPGized. Every single one.
You just happen to like adventure games, therefore, IT MUST BE AN RPG!

Codex Year of the Donut
Your average sports game now features character growth, talents, skills, stats, and dialogue.
NHL-22-Dialogue-Skill-Tree-850x478.jpg

NHL-22-Request-Trade-Failure.jpg

OH MY GOD NHL 22 IS AN RPG!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quillon

Arcane
btw. weren't they hiring 2D artists for this game? will the game be 2D somehow like josh's other fav game battle bros?

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Your average sports game now features character growth, talents, skills, stats, and dialogue.
NHL-22-Dialogue-Skill-Tree-850x478.jpg

NHL-22-Request-Trade-Failure.jpg

OH MY GOD NHL 22 IS AN RPG!!!!!!!!!!!!
I'd pay for a sport RPG. But only if it was turn-based. I don't give a shit if it's not like "real sport".
Sports are pause with real time.
btw. weren't they hiring 2D artists for this game? will the game be 2D somehow like josh's other fav game battle bros?
Its like I said, Josh has good taste in games.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
do you guys even play non-rpgs made in the past 20 years?

dialogue trees have become the standard for all video games
C&C-style branching is considered a major feature of fucking coach simulator sports games

the leeway given to these games because you happen to like them can be applied to nearly every game on the market as every genre has been RPGized. Every single one.
You just happen to like adventure games, therefore, IT MUST BE AN RPG!

This isn't really related to what I said though. For example, both games have dialogue choices and C&C, but to me Disco Elysium feels more like an RPG than The Council, for the reasons I mentioned.

Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
Josh would write more interesting stuff if he read some high-concept sci-fi and took that kind of approach to things. Instead of these damn historical remixes like the Pillars games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom