Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Gastrick

Cipher
Yuzu is going smoothly for me.

Guys how I missed SMT music. Dungeon crawling is much better with these cool, beautiful and melancolic tunes.

Edit: Could be much worse.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Stayed out of this thread until I got to play it. On Switch, Japanese voice, Hard.

Just beat the first big boss
Hydra - took several tries on Level 12-13, did need to grab Mermaid in particular and use Affinity Essence to set up the MC and even use Dampeners
and it's been good so far. Some weird mishmash of decisions - the pacing of the opening was really weird like some kind of truncated Youtube montage, but music/sound in particular helps really convey the SMT themes. The basic loop with the bomb boys and so on feel good, the difficulty is tough so far and that's great.

Going magic MC - do we know yet if AGI/LUC are solid/work properly in this one? Wondering how MAG/AGI might do.

Puukko

Arcane
Protip for those with the DLC: they start at fairly low levels. Fiends start at lvl 24, while the first of the three gods is lvl 37. Found that out by chance - really wasn't expecting its level to be perfect for my party. I initially thought they'd all be endgame demons, but that's not the case.

Jiggle physics :shredder:

Repressed Homosexual
Played a couple hours. The only thing I don't like is the protagonist visuals. Other than that, it's the exact Nocturne modernization I hoped for. A strange, moody and solitary experience, with a great combat to boot.

No it's not, it's more like Monster Hunter meets SMT. Scouring a desert and grinding for endless items sucks ass.

There are even plenty of MMO side quests. These in my opinion, do absolutely nothing but pad out the game and cheapen the experience.

Nocturne was considerably better, it especially nailed the atmosphere to absolute perfection. Some of the music and cutscenes were genuinely spooky.

This however does not. It's a huge disappointment.

Some weird mishmash of decisions - the pacing of the opening was really weird like some kind of truncated Youtube montage, but music/sound in particular helps really convey the SMT themes.
Tigranes anon! Good strong Armenian friend anon! SMTV game content does have more cuts than American foreskin! It is true anon! It is! I am await SMTV Extra Wifes Maniax Edition anon! I am! You are a good strong friend anon!

lightbane

Arcane
How's the dialogue in SMTV? Is there an use of that fake pronoun "they" so blatantly shoe-horned everywhere nowadays? I saw a video where a Jack Frost uses "they" to talk about a clearly female demon stalking him.

Puukko

Arcane
Oh yeah that stuck out to me which is decline, and I came across a typo or two. I like that they kept all the personalities though and there's lots of variety in the conversations. Some demons seem to combine personalities, like Forneus acts like a toughass sometimes but other times he might be a fogey.

I really like the look of the Fiends too and the JP VA is really deep and you can tell he had fun with it. Hell Biker makes a hilarious motorbike impression when you fuse him. The battle theme is a remix that's not as bombastic as the original and I do prefer that but I understand why they didn't just remake the same theme for like the fifth time with slight variation.

Last edited:

Sentinel

Arcane
How's the dialogue in SMTV? Is there an use of that fake pronoun "they" so blatantly shoe-horned everywhere nowadays? I saw a video where a Jack Frost uses "they" to talk about a clearly female demon stalking him.
"They" isn't a fake pronoun. Even before trannies appropriated it it was already gramatically correct to refer to someone whose sex you didn't know as "they". That might explain Jack Frost's use of it.
As far as the MC goes, despite looking like a tranny, he gets called "YOUNG MAN"/he every conversation.

lightbane

Arcane
it it was already gramatically correct to refer to someone whose sex you didn't know as "they".

As far as I remember, the default pronoun for these cases was "he", or even "it". At one point it was turned into "she", later "they". You know the rest.

As far as the MC goes, despite looking like a tranny, he gets called "YOUNG MAN"/he every conversation.

It seems so, which seems to piss off the freaks which is hilarious.

By the way, I remember seeing slow downs during the game trailers, especially during fusions. Is that an issue for real hardware? What about the emulator?
What is the "standard" FPS rate before modifications?

Sentinel

Arcane
As far as I remember, the default pronoun for these cases was "he", or even "it". At one point it was turned into "she", later "they". You know the rest.
"it" is used for animals/objects, not for people. Using it for a person is basically implying they aren't human. I hope you've never used it while trying to be polite to anyone.

lightbane

Arcane
"it" is used for animals/objects, not for people. Using it for a person is basically implying they aren't human. I hope you've never used it while trying to be polite to anyone.
I don't live in an English-speaking region, so I don't have to worry about that. Also, some people could as well not be considered human, but that's not the issue here.

Tigranes

Arcane
The demon chatter seems decent so far. Genuine rage whenever you talk to a Mokoi or something and they fob you off with some bullshit reason.

Interestingly, sometimes you talk to the same demon in the same battle multiple times and they give you the same question - but not always?? Insistent recruiting has definitely got me party wiped a couple times. Escape chance also seems low unless you pump AGI (?)

Sentinel

Arcane
The question doesn't really matter because in my experience the correct answer is completely random. I've gotten the same question multiple times and the answer changed everytime.

Puukko

Arcane
I've followed the exact same line of answers with the same demon multiple times and it has always led to negotiation. I wonder if luck affects a demon's chances to flip you off at that point. They usually don't take "pick something else" for an answer more than once, except in some rare cases they do, or may immediately call off the negotiations if you tell them that.

At least I haven't had it happen to me yet where a demon roasts you for just saying yes to all their demands. Which game was that again... SJ? Raidou?

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Demons are fickle, so it's excused if their behaviour is completely RNG during negotiations. Are there skills that alter these like in Nocturne?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I've followed the exact same line of answers with the same demon multiple times and it has always led to negotiation. I wonder if luck affects a demon's chances to flip you off at that point. They usually don't take "pick something else" for an answer more than once, except in some rare cases they do, or may immediately call off the negotiations if you tell them that.

At least I haven't had it happen to me yet where a demon roasts you for just saying yes to all their demands. Which game was that again... SJ? Raidou?

If i remember correctly that could happen also in Nocturne. The demon chick treated you as a loser provider and go away with all your resources.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The conversation stuff is more akin to rolling dice with funny flavor than trying to follow through logical dialogue paths. Sometimes a set of answers will make a demon attack you, sometimes giving the same demon the same answers will make them join you.

Demons are fickle, so it's excused if their behaviour is completely RNG during negotiations. Are there skills that alter these like in Nocturne?
No skills, but my guess is that mid-game you'll get a Miracle that helps you recruit demons. SMT4/A didn't have any recruitment skills either but it had COMP Apps that are similar to Miracles and they had recruitment boni passives. Stuff like if you foible a negotiation you can retry again, if you succeed at recruiting a demon the other demons in the same fight will also join you, etc.

Anonona

Learned
The conversation stuff is more akin to rolling dice with funny flavor than trying to follow through logical dialogue paths. Sometimes a set of answers will make a demon attack you, sometimes giving the same demon the same answers will make them join you.

No skills, but my guess is that mid-game you'll get a Miracle that helps you recruit demons. SMT4/A didn't have any recruitment skills either but it had COMP Apps that are similar to Miracles and they had recruitment boni passives. Stuff like if you foible a negotiation you can retry again, if you succeed at recruiting a demon the other demons in the same fight will also join you, etc.

Not that much of a spoiler, still in the second area of the game, just found something that is kind of relevant.

I found a magatsuhi skill that allowed you to make 2 mistakes in demon negotiation. Is granted by the amulet for the Jirae family of demon

Endemic

Arcane
VWNYn52.jpg

d1r

Busin 0 Wizardry Alternative Neo fanatic
Patron
I think this is one of the most balanced SMT's out there.

HARD is hard, the boss fights are great, the trash mobs still remain dangerous in the later areas, and I am still using items like crazy. Health points of the demons and the protag don't go crazy early on and they reworked a lot of items (Muscle Drinks are great now!) and skills that were kinda over the top or useless in the earlier iterations. I still have no idea what to make out of the story, either there will be a huge fucking twist at the midpoint of the game, or the story was really just an afterthought this time around.

The overworld exploration tracks are the absolute highlight of the game so far, imo.

Tigranes

Arcane
Welp, got to big story boss, dude gets in one regular attack against MC without any bonuses/maluses, and it's a 1HKO + reload. Good times.

Nuwa's standard Force attack vs level 20 MC. Might have to chuck 2k gold to get Force resist essence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom