Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Screenshot thread

Danikas

Arcane
kingdomcomedeliverancf9k1l.png

kingdomcomedeliverancf7k71.png

kingdomcomedeliverancbtkos.png

kingdomcomedeliveranc01j5o.png

kingdomcomedeliveranccbjpt.png
kingdomcomedeliveranca5joe.png

kingdomcomedeliverancm3j5v.png

kingdomcomedeliveranc9kkwi.png
kingdomcomedeliveranc47jjm.png

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
The Long Dark. What the fuck happened? I'm so sad. For those who don't know, it's a very good survival game and a huge passion project with a long history. Once a small indie-game supported by strong community turned massive hit and things starting to get a little fucky. The game has been released in aug 2017 with 2 of 5 episodes of the story mode with the promise of granting the rest for free to those who bought it before that date. They kept their promise, but the episode development went extremely slow, long story short - episode four came out only two days ago. Oh, and: (1-3) ep. were meh at best while the meat of the game has always been the survival (sandboxish open-world) mode.

Now I've finished the fourth episode and gotta say I'm a bit stunned by the experience. The third one has had already some questionable sjw-like (or rather fem-like) stuff in it but now - oh boy. The whole plot of 4th episode can be summed up as: the leader of *roaming free* convicts (all white males, by the way) pushing you around on the surround area while *someone* messing with convict's plans, contacting you and eventually you meet and team up (enemy of my enemy and all that). Now, who is this *someone* might be? With a deeeeep female voice, allegedly bright and promising young scientist?
Bye-bye, game.

Tbh the story never really interested me at all, I still play exclusively Sandbox.

But I must say the game has become so pointless. It is practically impossible to stay warm without constantly providing wood in a house that has no roof so you must start wandering which I'm fine with but the level design is just weird. It makes it almost impossible to find anyhing without previous knowledge or a walkhrough.

So if you wander - which is the sole point of the game - the wolves will get you on the way. It is cool the first 2 times you fend one off with a flare. But then the 6th or 7th wolf will get you every time, and then it will be super hard to make another attempt, and another.

Eventually you find the house in Pleasant Valley and you have everything you need but the game becomes totally boring.

My God why is it so fucking hard to make an interesting game if you have all the ingredients. They are tampering with this one for 7 years now and they have gone absolutely nowhere. In fact I should have uninstalled it in late 2014 after my first playthrough became boring (part of which I had shared on the codex) because the game was never better than back then.

jackofshadows

Magister
But I must say the game has become so pointless. It is practically impossible to stay warm without constantly providing wood in a house that has no roof so you must start wandering which I'm fine with but the level design is just weird. It makes it almost impossible to find anyhing without previous knowledge or a walkhrough.

So if you wander - which is the sole point of the game - the wolves will get you on the way. It is cool the first 2 times you fend one off with a flare. But then the 6th or 7th wolf will get you every time, and then it will be super hard to make another attempt, and another.
It's a game about exploration. To solve the problem of warmth, you need to find decent clothes first and for that to loot at least a few locations (depends on the difficulty) so you have to deal with wolves w/o a weapon which is yeah, extremely annoying thing to do for a newcomer. But when you know the maps well you can just avoid them pretty much all the time. While doing that, you make your way to Desolation Point and make a bunch of arrowheads. After that, a bow and the wolves problem/food problem is solved as well.
Eventually you find the house in Pleasant Valley and you have everything you need but the game becomes totally boring.
Yeah, that's a sand-boxish game for you - you set your own goals. I'm usually get bored after crafting more or less full survival gear: wolfskin coat, deerskin pants etc etc or after exploring every nook and cranny of the recently added location.

Wunderbar

Arcane
mQvc2gF.jpg

Half-Life Delta

the mod looks very pretty, though most of the time the high level of detail is achieved through models instead of prefabs/brushwork
22Jp48g.jpg

like in original HL, starting maps have a high degree of interactivity - you can press buttons, turn on water, etc
SfUiKKP.jpg

nice quality of life feature to tell you that certain doors require certain keys. Sadly the mod is mostly linear.
UKputoD.jpg

cC3Ioj0.jpg

ZOSZWd8.jpg

qFZ9EC8.jpg

for soome reason the game gives you two magnums. And they don't share the same ammo pool - one is .357, while the other is .44
sfyExbQ.jpg

obligatory sewer level
qysoohc.jpg

CHAD they hunger character was able to smash padlocks with just an umbrella, but we are forced to search for a key
jW5VA7g.jpg

71i35cJ.jpg

the underbarrel grenade launcher is no longer semi-automatic
Cly2xaf.jpg

seconds before osprey shows up
mMpadv5.jpg

9SD0j1A.jpg

oh look, a woman!
ohaf1VJ.jpg

OOPS
bGDbiYH.jpg

very impressive brushwork
Pdblb3K.jpg

as usual, the mod ends with a chapter set in XEN
p220ROy.jpg

rjHGVZy.jpg

living pods. Each pod has fully modeled interiors
zLaJEDT.jpg

the final stand
3WlUG3S.jpg

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Generic WoW clone : Conan Edition. I hate the WoWish aspects(cooldowns, stat stickie itemization, low lethality, repetitiveness for eg), but love necromancy in this game. You can sacrifice your minions for AoE fear, siphon health from then, sacrifice defense for more minions, has dozens of then to chose and as a necromancer, you can also sacrifice all minion managing capabilities for more magical power, essentially becoming a "dark cryomancer"

Xn8AGpT.png

tjVcuF7.png[

IoTNTFx.png

OZU1Ns9.png

kX9589O.png

BQJIiGN.png

XDQZ0iC.png

HansDampf

Arcane
WBaKt8v.jpg

qY5GoDD.jpg

It's time for a second playthrough. Goal: 0 Deaths, save everyone. The second bit is partly up to RNGsus. Need to get all them Shmowders.

Gj0IcDv.jpg

Wankovsky Route when?

Mt2Fi4t.jpg

qC0oJFP.jpg

5GnaU0i.jpg

QB3MGMa.gif

07GBNUM.jpg

mean tbh

8pw0Kxp.jpg

cOh5oRi.jpg

Nice town you've got there. Would be a shame if ...

ulFp5fa.jpg

... something happened to it.

XIRonT0.jpg

ncb9Yig.jpg

a5BciMH.jpg

vvmCNH5.jpg

Zcc7RUr.jpg

:hmmm:

UZYdZF6.jpg

Need more water.

Riskbreaker

Northern Journey

83BD6CE3C61027E28D92EF5F085C0B77E0670B6F

51116E360AD44A41F6D7A1B61CF35FBAD4B3B7A0

1BD5BFEA6FD53FFF76E121DF7BB2A677DAFADC98

D26EB351CA0813B68D763F9F7A0984B1AA8D4C77

882862D6375DDB91E76BA6864818C0A4890132D6

56A36C17DB7E57E6634278CDC13FDB9494E1B31F

Picked this up at random after I saw Dusk's David Szymanski praising it.
https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198000564041/recommended/1639790/
The way I'd describe it would be something like Hexen (solving "puzzles", hunting for keys/switches/items across interconnected levels) with some light Metroid-esque elements. And then there's the writing, really the whole feel of it: it's like a hallucination of some luckless hiker who thrown the wrong sort of mushroom in his stew whilst lost in Scandinavian woods.
So far superb level design, areas are both gorgeous to look at and fun to traverse and explore, with lotsa verticality (can't remember the last time I felt dizzy while playing something) and clever interconnectedness.
Combat is, eh, something. Lotsa flying and crawling enemies who either blend in with the environment or move erratically or both whilst your weapons either have slow rate of fire or pitiful damage output.

Louis_Cypher
Given your thread on the evocation of the otherworldly in FPSs, I thing you'd appreciate this thing.

Last edited by a moderator:

ferratilis

Magister
Odallus looks and sounds really good, but I couldn't finish it because of stiff and unresponsive controls. It's a shame they couldn't nail such a crucial aspect of a platformer.
:negative:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom