Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are worst areas or quests in games you like

deadmeme

Learned
Like the title says.

Fallout 1 : Vault 15- Rats, rats and more rats
Necropolis- Rats, Sewers, Boring
Fallout 2: Klamath- Rats, Shooting Geckos plus beef jerky, hmmm
Oblivion: Intro dungeon
Daggerfall: The dungeon you go into in Lich's Soul quest
Kotor 2: Mining Ship- This part of the game is so bad and boring that I had to instantly quit not to get an autistic tantrum, years later only did I beat the game because I saw people said it was good
Wizardry VI: Mines
Baldur's Gate 1: Nashkel Mines, Starting area, Bergost
Ultimate Doom: E3L2 (Level by Sandy Peterson that is build like a hand)
Ultima 1: Space Ace part
Dark Sun: Intro Arena
Arckanum: Dwarven mine

Last edited:

Broseph

Dangerous JB
Patron
Easiest one I can think of is the final map of Divine Divinity. Just a boring empty desert filled with trash mobs and a lame, anticlimactic final boss fight in the center. It’s been several years since I finished that game but that is definitely one of the most memorable bad areas in an otherwise pretty good game.

Trashos

Arcane
The Arke Power Plant in Underrail. Different types of challenging enemies from throughout the game packed in one dungeon, AND THEN you are forced to go back and forth in an area with respawning enemies (even respawning on top of you, you don't even have to leave the area for them to respawn), AND AFTER YOU DO ALL THAT, you have to return to it a 2nd time.

0/10 area in a 9/10 game. Truly remarkable.

vazha

Arcane
Everything after Fort Joy in Divinity 2.
Inquisitor: Every combat area, period.
Siege of Avalon: Optional quest areas, nothing of value would be lost if they were cut.
Baldur's Gate 2: Elf City is such a letdown after superbly done Underdark.
Monastery bit in Kingdom Come

Last edited:

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
House at the Edge of Time in Kingmaker.
The reasons were discussed to death but as a summary: Buggy as hell, you lose companions permanently if you didn't do their quests beforehand, you lose one companion no matter what, annoying copy-pasted trash fights and on top of it all a teleport puzzle that loads you into a different version of the House and doesn't tell you.

Morblot

Aberrant Member | Star Trek V Apologist
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
1.) Vrischika's Curiosity Shoppe in Planescape: Torment. Not the shop itself as such, but that items bought there are used as the solutions for so many quests. It's lazy. That whole area feels a bit undercooked.

2.) Act IV in Diablo II. It too feels unfinished and hence is just lame.

Codex Year of the Donut
The reasons were discussed to death but as a summary: Buggy as hell, you lose companions permanently if you didn't do their quests beforehand, you lose one companion no matter what, annoying copy-pasted trash fights and on top of it all a teleport puzzle that loads you into a different version of the House and doesn't tell you.
you forgot the obnoxiously long loading screens that you encounter every couple of minutes due to the teleport puzzle

pickmeister

Learned
Over the years I started to really despise character creation in most games. I created so many characters that I just don't care.
I don't care about choosing a race if its only effect is +1 this and -1 that and maybe a racial to heal myself once a day. At least let me visit some cities/areas easier because I am this race and not another or something.
I don't care what the character looks like unless I can make him severely malformed and ugly so NPC can be repulsed by him or have a charismatic, good-looking sweet-talker who can bang his way into any society.
I don't care about picking a class to find out 7/10 of them are useless or not what I expected.
I don't care for distributing stats that aren't explained at all or the game has an extensive encyclopedia explaining that every stat has an impact on everything (and nothing in reality) as it just usually comes down to being shit at everything or finding one stat that lets you power through the entire game on a steam roller.
I don't care about any other obscure shit like starsign, first pet's name, favorite color, or stool consistency developer had an urge to bake in to differentiate themselves that gets mentioned twice (once in prologue, second time in missable converstaion) in a 40+ hours long game.
162cf25f87c9e13f1ed290d9891f629b30fba226r1-492-449v2_hq.jpg

I'll take the Gothic style of starting as a total nobody and building your character as you play any day than suffer through any other character creation that doesn't even matter in the long run.

Last edited:

Humbaba

Arcane
Whoever designed Act II in Diablo 2 should get blacklisted from the industry. Also any area with a teleport puzzle, maybe with the exception of TNO's tomb because at least there you discover interesting plot points.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
M&M VI - Castle Darkmoor
Gothic 1 - Sleeper's temple
Gothic 2 + Returning - Adanos valley
Dark Souls : Chaos Bed and surrounding area.
Dark Souls 2 : Shrine of Amana
Morrowind : Any place with a lot of cliff racers
Diablo 2 : First half of ACT III.

MpuMngwana

Arbiter
Chapters 4 and 6 of Gothic 2. Sleeper temple and second half of Risen usually get mentioned as examples of weak Piranha Bytes late game, but I personally found the dragon fights, and mostly everything surrounding them, more tedious and annoying.

The swamp in Witcher 1. You'll be spending a lot of time there, and you can't walk five meters without running into a pack of drowners.

Firewine ruins in Baldur's Gate. Thankfully, completely optional. Lots of traps, narrow corridors which are hell to navigate with Infinity engine pathfinding, and all the kobolds.

Alien infestation in Jagged Alliance 2.

Some others that were already mentioned in this thread, like the House at the End of Time and late game Bloodlines.

Trashos

Arcane

Ah, one of my favorite locations in any game ever.
Disagreements of taste aside, what do you mean "it doesn't tell you"? You have already gone through the Womb of Lamashtu before, which works exactly the same.

Lonely Vazdru

Pimp my Title
Time loop in Icewind Dale 2 magma chamber.
Running errands to become mage in Planescape Torment.
Fuckin' Trynton crowded walkways.
Hommlet.
Basically all of Trials of the luremaster.
And I might be alone on this one, but I always hated the ice island in Tales of the Sword Coast.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom