Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Skyrim is getting The Most Definitive Re-re-re-release once again at 11.11.2021

But do you know what the absolute goddamn kicker is?

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Horse_Armor_-_Elven
https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Horse_Armor_-_Steel

Motherfucking horse armor. They're selling you horse armor again, in the exact same fucking styles that fifteen years ago laid the groundwork for the whole DLC clusterfuck we're in today. And not only that, they cost 250 Kreation Klub Kredits each, and the cheapest bundle you can buy is 750 for eight freedombucks/seven deutschmarks/six goodboy points.

And Todd just keeps getting away with it.

The joke is that you assume they "sell" it, but instead it's discounted -100% permanently, so they get a "a-ha!!" moment.

Whether or not that joke is amusing in any way, or just the lamest kind of dad joke in history, is another matter entirely.

survival mode in most games is just stupid, you can tell these people have no idea how the human body works and that they're fat fucks. You can go without food for many months or even a year (at least if you are said fat fuck), just make sure salt/mineral balance is kept. Not eating is also not slowing you down since burning your fat reserve is actually a better (more efficient) energy source than eating food.

Well there's also this, I believe, the most autistic thing I've seen in the industry except for Grimoire production:

10639-2-1329795298.jpg

10639-2-1376507328.jpg

37254-1-1289632774.jpg

Archwizard Hank

Learned
Well there's also this [snip]

Under what circumstances, in which universe, under whose authority and in which lifetime am I ever going to need to know the half-life of real and fictional substances as they decay in my fictional body

The only half-life I want within a planet's orbit of my video games hasn't had a good sequel since 2007
fuck

Last edited:

deuxhero

Arcane
1: You mean 2001.
2: It's really just a fancy term for how long its effects last and how long it is before you can use another dose without (extra) penalty.

Really, the only dietary values that need tracking are calories, protein, vitamin c, and maybe water: Protein and Vitamin C to encourage diet variety (no subsisting entirely on one substance like potatoes or random game meat), while water is mostly for raw fruit and soups/stews supplementing potables. The sheer number of calories a video game character burns (marching places, fighting, leaping) means everything else should easily be satisfied with the amount of food they need to eat.

Archwizard Hank

Learned
1: You mean 2001.

But... Well... Hm...
Y'know what, I don't actually have any counter to this. Fuck it, you're right, I can't justify a game that doesn't have a goddamn conclusion.

Also regarding survival systems, call me a filthy casual but the food mechanic in the Ultima series always felt to me like it was all you needed - Just a number that goes down as you walk. Realistic? Fuck no. Easy to understand? Yes. I'm not sure if the fact that SkyRimjob's default survival mode hasn't really seemingly progressed far beyond this speaks more to the ingenuity of the system as it's designed on paper or to the lack of imagination in the game development world.

deuxhero

Arcane
Oh I don't disagree in the slightest that video games (especially those not built around it) has almost always just been annoying busywork rather than adding anything of value, just that there's absolutely no reason to go beyond those four values if one wanted to put such a system in.

FriendlyMerchant

survival mode in most games is just stupid, you can tell these people have no idea how the human body works and that they're fat fucks. You can go without food for many months or even a year (at least if you are said fat fuck), just make sure salt/mineral balance is kept. Not eating is also not slowing you down since burning your fat reserve is actually a better (more efficient) energy source than eating food.
It'd be funny if such a survival game seemingly lets you survive on certain kinds of food only for you to slowly have your stats decrease more and more, and once you die the game informs you about rabbit starvation.
There's always the solution of playing a survival mode like you would IRL; kill animal, eat heart and liver first, then the muscle meat if you're still hungry. The liver is where the animal stores the most of vitamins and minerals. Just be careful not to die of Vitamin A poisoning.

ADL

Prophet
I'm glad The Frozen North exists. I just want the game to acknowledge it takes place in a frozen hellscape and this mod takes care of that. Hopefully OpenMW gets something like it for Skyrim Home of the Nords.
Experience a more immersive Skyrim without being forced into annoying micromanagement
The functions of the mod should be somewhat intuitive, so if you don't care about all the technical details, here is a very quick rundown of the main features that you should know about:
  • Cold weather can make you cold, which makes your Stamina regenerate slower, or at more extreme levels drain your Stamina and Health.
  • Wearing clothing or being near sources of heat can keep you warm.
  • Being cold prevents waiting and fast travel.
  • Eating a meal in the hours before sleeping (6+ hours) gives you a minor bonus for the next day.
  • Eating throughout the day gives you a minor bonus.
  • You must sleep to level up.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/33068?tab=description
Frostbite is nice too.
https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/27693

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Never played or had any interest in this fantasy garbag from tODD and his lackeys.

Why am I then posting in this thread you say?

Because hang the fantasy fags

Funposter

Arcane
I'm glad The Frozen North exists. I just want the game to acknowledge it takes place in a frozen hellscape and this mod takes care of that. Hopefully OpenMW gets something like it for Skyrim Home of the Nords.

Ashfall should work fine once OpenMW gets lua support (supposedly in the next version), but it's definitely more LARPy than you want since it's more in the vein of Frostfall. Still, could work as a nice starting point if Merlord ever wanted to (or allowed someone else to) make a lite version.

Nikanuur

Arbiter
Patron
Never played or had any interest in this fantasy garbag from tODD and his lackeys.

Why am I then posting in this thread you say?

Because hang the fantasy fags
Sorry to be so blunt, but one's son tragedy shouldn't make the man impose his feelings towards all humanity.

Gargaune

Magister
Also regarding survival systems, call me a filthy casual but the food mechanic in the Ultima series always felt to me like it was all you needed - Just a number that goes down as you walk.
yeah, i loaded a save and it asked if i wanted it, turned it on and i was constantly nagged about being cold or hungry, wet, etc (yes, like every minute).
That's the problem with most of these "survival modes", mods and official alike, they're way too granular and fiddly. You're bombarded with status effects every couple of minutes in real-time, so you constantly have to break flow to go inventory diving, what with the myriad different consumables and their slightly different effects. It's altogether unsuitable for an Action-RPG.

The one game that really struck the right balance was STALKER, but odds are nobody at Bethesda's every played that.

There's always the solution of playing a survival mode like you would IRL; kill animal, eat heart and liver first, then the muscle meat if you're still hungry. The liver is where the animal stores the most of vitamins and minerals. Just be careful not to die of Vitamin A poisoning.
Found DiCaprio's Codex account.

Butter

Arcane
Patron

Mud'

Scholar
It'd be funny if such a survival game seemingly lets you survive on certain kinds of food only for you to slowly have your stats decrease more and more, and once you die the game informs you about rabbit starvation.

Unreal World RPG and Project Zomboid are the only games i know that you can get rabbit starvation.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom