Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What are worst areas or quests in games you like

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
What's with the hate for Temple of Trials. You go in, punch a few scorpions, unlock a door and get out.

final boss fight against an attack helicopter in Alpha Protocol

holy jesus what a total tone-change from the preceding enjoyable romp

didnt know wtf to do; got my ass handed to me countless times

i signed up for stealthy spy shenanigans; not call of doody

still havent finished it

Funposter

Arcane
Dark Souls: Lost Izalith sucks my fucking arsehole
Morrowind: The Mournhold Sewers are bad enough to make me never play the expansions
VTMB: don't make me say it
Fallout: New Vegas: Come Fly With Me and the associated run-around at Novac
KOTOR 2: Peragus Mining Facility but really the first 5-10 hours or whatever it is
Kingdom Come: Deliverance: second forced tutorial after Skalitz

Sneaking past the death knights in Divinity Original Sin

I abused the bug/feature where you could heal from stepping in blood, thereby making you effectively unkillable in melee, so Madora was able to just run around that section while getting slapped to "death" constantly.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Wiz8 - Mt. Gigas caves are just too long and boring with nothing interesting to show for it. Very often a point at which I'll drop a playthrough. The retro dungeons are also really crap, but highly optional and p. much an easter egg, so whatever.
Infinity Engine games - any area that's "clear a fog of war from an rts map, maybe fighting 2-3 utterly pointless encounters along the way". BG1 excels at it, obviously, but it ails all of them.
Fallout2 - SF and Enclave - just rushed, dumb and boring.
Fallout New Vegas - all dlc content. Doesn't fit the main game, largely boring/slog, makes too long game even longer, you pretty much have to avoid it as to not make an already way too easy game even easier.

Humbaba

Arcane
At times you will have do some back and fourth. When you do. You can get intercepted by a group of them.

That's when you just run past or kite them. Did you die a lot? The number of shadows in that area corresponds to your number of deaths so I guess that would make it a bit hard.

__scribbles__

Educated
Arcanum - Any dungeon
Wasteland - Las Vegas Sewers
Planescape: Torment - Curst Prison
KOTOR 2 - Anything that isn't talking to your companions lmao

laclongquan

Arcane
Like the title says.

Fallout 1 : Vault 15- Rats, rats and more rats
Necropolis- Rats, Sewers, Boring
Fallout 2: Klamath- Rats, Shooting Geckos plus beef jerky, hmmm
Oblivion: Intro dungeon
Daggerfall: The dungeon you go into in Lich's Soul quest
Kotor 2: Mining Ship- This part of the game is so bad and boring that I had to instantly quit not to get an autistic tantrum, years later only did I beat the game because I saw people said it was good
Wizardry VI: Mines
Baldur's Gate 1: Nashkel Mines, Starting area, Bergost
Ultimate Doom: E3L2 (Level by Sandy Peterson that is build like a hand)
Ultima 1: Space Ace part
Dark Sun: Intro Arena
Arckanum: Dwarven mine
Arcanum - Any dungeon
Wasteland - Las Vegas Sewers
Planescape: Torment - Curst Prison
KOTOR 2 - Anything that isn't talking to your companions lmao
I have to agree with some of these

Fallout 1: yeah, by the time we get to V15, we dont expect rats which is more what we met back outside of the Vault Gear.

Fallout 2: no, back at Klamath Trapper Town it might be our first chance to meet rats, so it's not boring. Plus there's Keeng Rat too~

KOTOR 2 the mining ship is a bit of a bore, but mostly due to misdesign. It's too bloody bright for practically a ghost area. Think of back at KOTOR 1 we have the ship burning in fire. But here at 2 we have a bright cheery ghost zone. There's a mod that darken this area and it improve right then and there.

BG1 the Nashkel mine is not a bore, what's with variety of things happen in the tunnel. WHAT happened is claustrophobia~ I recognized samething with Arcanum's black mountain mine~ We dont like being tunnel rats~ Proof? THere's BG Reloaded module for NWN2 where you play BG1 in NWN2 engine. That tunnel area? We are too busy paying attention to our party's females' asses to notice the tunnel's closed atmosphere. Things improved right off~

FNV the Vegas sewer and PST Curst prison I have to agree. Because claustrophobia and no way to fix it~ Specifically the Vegas Sewers I played through several version: Dust version, Obscurum Pandemic version, and some modified version based on the sewers. Too bloody closed with nothing distracting, unless I have Veronica or Cass disrobed~

HeatEXTEND

Prophet
Patron
Every dungeon in Anachronox. Playing that game is a beaten-housewife-simulator; "he can be so sweet *CLONK* no really! *SMACK*"

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
the only thing mentioned in this thread that resonated with me was the hatred for the swamp section of witcher 1. that shit is like 1/3 of that entire game so by the end you never want to play it again.

Denim Destroyer

Learned
Ultima Underworld II: Talorus, the layout is unimaginative and the game does not do anything interesting with the otherwise unique NPCs. Also the jump pads make navigating a slight annoyance.
Kingdom Come: The series of quest up until you arrive in Rattay. Forced tutorials are horrible in games meant to be replayed but one that last multiple hours is excruciating.
Legend of Grimrock: The final floor is a disappointment with it simple being a large combat arena with an angry Rubiks cube trying to kill you. What a sad end to an otherwise great game.
Baldur's Gate 2: Spending a lot of time in chapter two ruins your expectations for the rest of the game but for me the worst aspect was arriving in the Underdark. Upon arriving I was expecting another Athkatla or something a tad smaller, not a series of suspended platforms with barely interesting events going on.
Deus Ex: Paris is a major letdown from NYC and Hong Kong but that is more indicative of their quality then any lack of in Paris.

Hag

Arbiter
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
Always found the lower Sigil part of Planescape Torment being a slog. Took me several tries over the years simply to reach the catacombs and get started.

Iucounu

Educated
the only thing mentioned in this thread that resonated with me was the hatred for the swamp section of witcher 1. that shit is like 1/3 of that entire game so by the end you never want to play it again.
Really? I thought it was the best part of the game. The worst part was probably trying to control Geralt's walking when he was drunk.

EvilWolf

Learned
Ultima Underworld II: Talorus, the layout is unimaginative and the game does not do anything interesting with the otherwise unique NPCs. Also the jump pads make navigating a slight annoyance.
Kingdom Come: The series of quest up until you arrive in Rattay. Forced tutorials are horrible in games meant to be replayed but one that last multiple hours is excruciating.
Legend of Grimrock: The final floor is a disappointment with it simple being a large combat arena with an angry Rubiks cube trying to kill you. What a sad end to an otherwise great game.
Baldur's Gate 2: Spending a lot of time in chapter two ruins your expectations for the rest of the game but for me the worst aspect was arriving in the Underdark. Upon arriving I was expecting another Athkatla or something a tad smaller, not a series of suspended platforms with barely interesting events going on.
Deus Ex: Paris is a major letdown from NYC and Hong Kong but that is more indicative of their quality then any lack of in Paris.
In Paris you can really skip a lot of content if you just go for the main objective, if you aren't very good at stealth this is the best approach, but there is a lot of side stuff in Paris that I would say puts it on par with, at least, Hong Kong. It's just the occupation that makes it difficult to get around and see any of it.

Arbiter

Scholar
Necropolis- Rats, Sewers, Boring

You have C&C - do you help ghouls or just take the waterchip and leave them to their fate, you meet supermutants for the first time and you have a choice of surrendering to them and ending the game with mutant victory. What's not to like?

Ultimate Doom: E3L2 (Level by Sandy Peterson that is build like a hand)

I like it, though I prefer episode 1 to the rest of the game. Still play E1 every several months, unmodded GZDoom or with Brutal Doom installed.

Why? You can pump XP, your choices when talking to the announcer matter, you obtain your first items, arena offers one of several possible escape methods.

Saduj

Arcane
Why? You can pump XP, your choices when talking to the announcer matter, you obtain your first items, arena offers one of several possible escape methods.
It is the best starting area of any RPG I've played.

Egosphere

Arcane
Gonna have to say Depot A in Underrail. I often find it difficult and it just drags on and on.

Black Mountain Mines in Arcanum. I have dropped the game twice because of that shit, almost makes me glad that Troika closed down. :argh:
They're really not that hard with the right setup.

GaelicVigil

Liturgist
The entire world of KOTOR 1 is boring AF. I've tried to beat that game about 10 times, but I always quit after a few hours from sheer boredom. Game is absolute garbage, and I'll never understand why people like it.

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
Morrowind - Balmora (just boring)
Arcanum - when you look for Nasrudin on Thanatos (feels like when super mario bugs out and you run forever)
Bloodlines - the whole santa monica
Kotors - Taris and Peragus

Its really more about these areas GROWING boring on you, not them themselves imo

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik

It is the best starting area of any RPG I've played.

Saduj is right

the intro gladiator arena in Dark Sun is fucking great. You can escape in different ways, grind exp against mosters, or stay there forever in the habitable area and solve quests

Arbiter

Scholar
or stay there forever in the habitable area and solve quests

You cannot stay indefinitely in gladiator pens. Each time you return to pens you can rest and spend some time there, but eventually you are asked to fight another battle in the arena, and if you do not comply you are attacked by guards.

vitellus

the irascible
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
replayed bg1 on core because infinity engine is retarded and too much of a crap shoot for me to play above that, so the thief maze. everything that sucks about that engine is just presented in all it's glory, the few traps there are are set close enough to enemies so some fucktard charges forth through the trap to kill the mob, and that's if the pathfinding figures out how to use three left feet. so great of an engine they decided to use it for how many fuckin' games? :hahano:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom