Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Josh Sawyer's long-awaited historical RPG is called Pentiment, coming next year

Nazrim Eldrak

Scholar
Combat-less RPG...Is that all?
That is not much to judge.
:prosper:

Tyranicon

A Memory of Eternity
Developer
Imagine thinking there's enough good Tolkien-like cRPGs.

I can't even think of one. There's plenty of generic medieval high fantasy settings, but none crafted with the care and thought that would elevate them to "Tolkien-like".

Dr Schultz

Augur

I can't even think of one. There's plenty of generic medieval high fantasy settings, but none crafted with the care and thought that would elevate them to "Tolkien-like".

It's almost impossible to find a fantasy or a sci-fi novel crafted with the care and thought of Lord of the rings (Dune is the only name that comes to my mind), let alone a CRPG.

Having said that, I'd find immensely boring to roleplay a character in Middle-Earth or in a similar setting, even if masterfully crafted. Settings with gray morality are more interesting on a roleplaying prospective.

On the other hand, an action-avdeventure set in Middle-Earth that takes cue from the last Zelda would be my wet-dream.

Last edited:

Crescent Hawk

Cipher
Okay so its just another visual novel like Elysium? Kinda disappointed but okay might be good for a single run , I wanted josh to redeem himself form the fucking garbage that Eora is.

Xunwael

Educated
Having said that, I'd find immensely boring to roleplay a character in Middle-Earth or in a similar setting, even if masterfully crafted. Settings with gray morality are more interesting on a roleplaying prospective.
Reminds me of that "women in marvel" panel where they do nothing but head adoration on villain characters while condemning heroes for being "boring".

Personally, in lieu of "grey morality", I prefer the term "amoral". "Nihilistic", "cynical", "postmodern", and, of course, a classic, "evil" also work. I believe "globohomo" is another synonym as well, although it isn't listed as such on thesaurus.com. It's all the same shit anyway.

Which, incidentally, was Tolkien's opinion, wasn't it? How in his letters he wrote about playing with the idea of a story set 100 years after the LoTR and his conclusion was that it was miserable, pointless, and "not worth doing". Another good synonym for "grey morality": "Something miserable, pointless, and not worth engaging with." Sums up PoE perfectly, come to think of it. And if Josh really (stunningly, to me) doesn't understand why Deadfire did so poorly, then this project of his dedicated to the watching of paint drying taken to its logical extreme will probably not be worth engaging with either.

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
Considering how much Josh can talk about medieval weaponry and how much experience he has with designing combat systems, it is kinda disappointing that this will have no combat.

You'd think with all that experience, he'd trip over a good one at some point. Guy should've just stuck with iterations of D&D instead of trying to reinvent the wheel by distilling the essence of "fun" like some deranged caricature of irony. Leaving combat behind may be the best thing he's done to date. Now just to leave the rest of game design behind as well and start a new career as an actuary or something that better suits his nature.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
Something the codex will never accept because they love lolsoquirky non-standard settings:
Dumpsterfire failed because of the setting.

If it was standard fantasy it would have done well
Wrong. Deadfire had good setting but failed because of the story, characters and somewhat bad pacing for the first 2 hours of the game. IMO.

It never was. But I remember Feargus or Sawyer said once they wanted to make real Tolkien isometric RPG but couldn't.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
Most European names are actually also just a profession (miller, smith etc) while the first name is usually a character trait (eg strong or persevering for men, virtuous or graceful etc for qomen).

Must be a north european thing, most south europeans have biblical names, greco-roman names, etc.

Weird, I thought Brazil were only 3 names and everyone was called either Silva, Sousa or Santana. I bet your surname is one of the three.

Anyway here are most common names for my country Mexico. My own name (Jiménez) is on posicion 16 :|

qxIbicB.jpeg

Cazzeris

We've known since 2019 that a small team at Obsidian led by Josh Sawyer was working on some sort of unusual combat-less RPG, codenamed Project Missouri.

"We've known"

Infinitron is so generous to include me in the knowledge of esoteric data pieces only he can remember

Last edited by a moderator:

Sentinel

Arcane
Something the codex will never accept because they love lolsoquirky non-standard settings:

If it was standard fantasy it would have done well, just like outerworlds did well by aping generic sci-fi/beth fallout/mass effect. And outerworlds is easily a far worse game than dumpsterfire.

I have to admit I'm less interested in playing "exotic" pseudo-polynesian pirate-themed RPGs than regular European/North American forest themed RPGs.

And this is why we can't have anything good. How much of the same Tolkienesque shit you have to consume to have enough of it? Jesus Christ.
There's not even a single game that does Tolkien or a "tolkien-esque" setting well. Generally it's all just an excuse to portray le epic violence between classic fantasy races, 0 fucks are put into the world.

If it was standard fantasy it would have done well, just like outerworlds did well by aping generic sci-fi/beth fallout/mass effect. And outerworlds is easily a far worse game than dumpsterfire.

I have to admit I'm less interested in playing "exotic" pseudo-polynesian pirate-themed RPGs than regular European/North American forest themed RPGs.

And this is why we can't have anything good. How much of the same Tolkienesque shit you have to consume to have enough of it? Jesus Christ.
There's not even a single game that does Tolkien or a "tolkien-esque" setting well. Generally it's all just an excuse to portray le epic violence between classic fantasy races, 0 fucks are put into the world.

TBH I used tolkien-esque as a shortcut for epic fantasy with dwarfs and elves.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Dragonlance is TSR's Tolkienesque D&D setting, and the three Gold Box games in this setting are worth playing.

Granted, TSR and SSI missed the opportunity to adapt the original 12 Dragonlance adventure modules, along with the three associated novels and other related material, into a trilogy of JRPG-style games, which probably would have sold quite well. :M

Cleveland Mark Blakemore

Golden Era Games
Übermensch Developer
How the fuck do you do a legit a historical rpg without combat? Talk about fantasy. Dragons and wizards ar emore likely to be real than non violence. LMAO

The second you get the eyebrow arching from millennials about how "this will be above all that combat associated with RPGs" you know the colored hair and tattoo mutants are running wild. Fantastic if it has a lot more than great turn based combat. Terrific. But claiming your RPG will be "more sophisticated than the usual fare" by eschewing all conflict? Or no combat? GTFO. Passive-aggressive crap by people already planning to fail. Overcompensating already before they even have screenshots. RPGS are going the way of the comic book industry SJWs if this stuff continues. There is NOTHING these soyboys can't ruin.

I had high hopes all the way through the article until I hit that part. New Vegas was one of the best games I have ever played.

Major_Blackhart

Codexia Lord Sodom
Patron
We can all agree it's gonna be shit. But who among us on the Codex has the balls to waste real money on it in order to prove the hivemind right?

Not I, says the man from Washington.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom