Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Metroid Dread

PrettyDeadman

While this is a competent game, for me it just shows how indie stuff has outdone AAAs in every metric possible.

Games like Hollow Knight, Ender Lilies and Rabi-Ribi are MILES better than Metroid Dread.

Dread would be way better if they added 2 or 3 bosses and removed the whole EMMI sections entirely. Can't remember a mechanic so dumb and unnecesary like the one used in these dumb robots sections.

Also worth mentioning that Dread's soundtrack it's really uninspired. For me, there isn't a single song that stayed in my head and that I remember afterwards (different from what happens with Super Metroid, Zero Mission and Prime 1 and 2).

hollow knight is a mediocre game made absolutely shit by its insufferable fanbase
What does this make metroid dread, considering hollow knight is still a better game?

Last edited by a moderator:

Terenty

Liturgist
This game got almost the same treatment as the BOTW ie. masterpiece, greatest game blah blah

I played it on emulator and droped when they introduced a fucking bullet sponge called Chozo fighter. Fuck that shit. Why would you put them back to back together like that if the first battle was already a super boring slog that lasted literally 10 minutes? Than a bit later another one, no thx.

Also the game is insultingly linear with zero exploration(by exploration i mean several available options on how to proceed Ori style), boring, samey environments, rather outdated graphics, weak music.

One cool thing i will give it - Samus animations. That's not enough to make it a masterpiece in my book.

dacencora

This game got almost the same treatment as the BOTW ie. masterpiece, greatest game blah blah

I played it on emulator and droped when they introduced a fucking bullet sponge called Chozo fighter. Fuck that shit. Why would you put them back to back together like that if the first battle was already a super boring slog that lasted literally 10 minutes? Than a bit later another one, no thx.

Also the game is insultingly linear with zero exploration(by exploration i mean several available options on how to proceed Ori style), boring, samey environments, rather outdated graphics, weak music.

One cool thing i will give it - Samus animations. That's not enough to make it a masterpiece in my book.
You thought the Chozo Robo Soldier was boring? I thought it was super fast paced. Died a bunch of times lol. The other Chozos are more fun to fight IMO. I almost got filtered by Experiment No. Z-57. That boss was pretty difficult. I think the only “annoying” boss for me was Escue.

dacencora

Z-57 was the highlight of the game for me.
For the majority of my attempts, I said “this is literally impossible”

On my last attempt I said “this isn’t actually even hard”. It’s one that will destroy you if you make any mistakes, but the timing is clear enough to figure out. I kept jump + Phase Shifting when he did the sideways swipe. The big difference was learning that you could just jump straight up. I died a lot less once I figured that out.

lightbane

Arcane
IIRC you can cheese that boss if you have the superspeed upgrade (probably due sequence breaking), he dies in one hit if you manage to hit him with the Shinespark.

dacencora

IIRC you can cheese that boss if you have the superspeed upgrade (probably due sequence breaking), he dies in one hit if you manage to hit him with the Shinespark.
Oh yeah? You have to have superspeed for that boss because he does the wind breath + pink owies in phase 2.

Ventidius

Arbiter
I really like that the game allows you to do some nifty things with Shinespark, provided you have a proper handle on the mechanics:

Z-57:

Golzuna:

There are other examples.

Apart from that, the game has some interesting Shinespark puzzles gating many of the upgrades necessary for 100% completion. That definitely makes the endgame more interesting.

Overall, it's nice to see the mechanic get this much love.

Last edited:

lightbane

Arcane
Shinespark got indeed better, as even taking a hit doesn't stop it, and Samus takes longer before the effect fades out, allowing some truly autistic/epic maneuvers.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
The Hollownig screeching every time anyone tries to talk about any Metroid or Metroidvania-style game that isn't Hollow Knight is definitely extremely insufferable. Also anyone whining about the bosses in this game actually unironically just needs to git gud, the chozo soldiers especially can be beaten in like 30 seconds to 1 minute without glitches or cheats so the crying about them being sponges seems a little misplaced. The game actively encourages you to use your new weapons as you unlock them, super & ice missiles, speed booster, storm missiles and even cross bombs can all be obscenely powerful versus certain bosses and minibosses. Once you get plasma beam just rapid fire mashing the non-charged shot is also very strong.

I think it's actually the most variety in tactics and weapons of any Metroid game to date when it comes to the boss fights. Used to be it was just super missiles and charge beams (apart from certain gimmicks like using grapple to electrocute Draygon I guess, but that's similar to using early bombs to instakill Kraid in Dread).

Last edited:

dacencora

While this is a competent game, for me it just shows how indie stuff has outdone AAAs in every metric possible.

Games like Hollow Knight, Ender Lilies and Rabi-Ribi are MILES better than Metroid Dread.

Dread would be way better if they added 2 or 3 bosses and removed the whole EMMI sections entirely. Can't remember a mechanic so dumb and unnecesary like the one used in these dumb robots sections.

Also worth mentioning that Dread's soundtrack it's really uninspired. For me, there isn't a single song that stayed in my head and that I remember afterwards (different from what happens with Super Metroid, Zero Mission and Prime 1 and 2).
This is crazy to me. I never could get into Hollow Knight but I was hooked with Metroid Dread immediately.

I thought the EMMI sections were a lot of fun, honestly. Nothing more satisfying than successfully countering one of those SOBs.

I quite liked the soundtrack myself and found myself humming it while I wasn’t playing it.

lightbane

Arcane
The Hollownig screeching every time anyone tries to talk about any Metroid or Metroidvania-style game that isn't Hollow Knight is definitely extremely insufferable.

Indeed. HK steals a lot from everything and while it is good, it has many questionable design decisions, like a mostly useless map, or a viciously hard platforming level you have to do with a character who's too clunky for precise jumping (aka the White Palace). While Dread's map is a bit bizarre due how cluttered it is, it works well at the very least. Samus is also very fast and doesn't have reach problems as well.
It's funny that Dread does take elements from HK and Ori though.

The Hollownig screeching every time anyone tries to talk about any Metroid or Metroidvania-style game that isn't Hollow Knight is definitely extremely insufferable.

Indeed. HK steals a lot from everything and while it is good, it has many questionable design decisions, like a mostly useless map, or a viciously hard platforming level you have to do with a character who's too clunky for precise jumping (aka the White Palace). While Dread's map is a bit bizarre due how cluttered it is, it works well at the very least. Samus is also very fast and doesn't have reach problems as well.
It's funny that Dread does take elements from HK and Ori though.

I’ve played pretty much every Metroidvania out there and HK has by far the best map of the bunch, and only the Ori games can rival it for the precision of their platforming controls.
Dread’s map is one of the worst ones I’ve ever seen (and I like the game a lot). I honestly don’t know how anyone can argue that it’s well-done without being disingenuous, especially when comparing it to HK’s.

You’re right that HK is extremely derivative of its influences, but is that really a negative when it iterates on and occasionally perfects what came before?

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Hollow Knight's map is one of the worst in any metroidvania I've ever played. It completely kills any joy of exploration when you know the next area is going to be exactly the same as the last three you saw.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
the map in HK is shit and the way you actually map out areas is just dumb, the badge system or whatever is equivalent to the flex tape meme of just slapping shit on there to fix otherwise questionable design. for instance: there's an area where you have to climb up high and jump across small columns and if you fall you fall 3-4 screens down and have to go back up, ok, fair enough, and there are flying enemies there too.. standard action platforming (medusa heads in castlevania, birds in ninja gaiden, etc.) so you are jumping from small platform to small platform, and these enemies keep coming at you, so you swing as you jump so you don't get hit by them.. seems reasonable, NOPE LOL THERE'S KNOCKBACK ON EVERY HIT!! So you kill the enemy and then knock back so you miss your jump and fall to the ground, maybe you could wait at one platform and kill it and then go forward but nope, they come out in such a way that you have to kill them mid jump, so equip this badge that you hopefully bought that removes knockback on striking *FLEX TAPE*

there are plenty of instances where the badge system seems like a "yeah we can't design a game based around a standard set of controls so we'll just make badges that let you do things so we don't have to be consistent" or something.. dunno it just bothers me. i played it when it first launch maybe they fixed shit by then but I doubt it's any better overall, I quit halfway through because the game was just so fucking bland and repetitive

Ventidius

Arbiter
I gotta say, getting 100% item completion in Dread was one of the most satisfying optional challenges I've completed in a Metroid game, and a big part of that comes from completing the Speed Boost puzzles. There are plenty of them, and they can be quite tricky, not to mention rather varied. Some of the puzzles require you primarily to have knowledge of how the Shinespark and Speed Boost mechanics work, stuff like Ball Spark or using slopes for consecutive Shinesparks; but others require very precise timing, namely anything requiring the use of Screw Attack cancelling or the Speed Boost+Wall Jump combo. The last one, in particular, I found to be the trickiest of the bunch, especially the puzzle close to the entrance of Ferenia.

Anyway, it was fun, even if the Gallery rewards were a bit underwhelming compared to some of the rewards from previous games like the Zero Mission ending art or the extra ending scenes from the Prime games.

Last edited:
As inevitably happens in conversations about HK, I’m increasingly skeptical that those of you complaining about it played past Greenpath.
All the areas look the same? That’s a laughable claim that is demonstrably false.
The game requires you to use the anti-knockback charm to proceed? Sounds like someone got filtered by their own ineptitude and is blaming the game for it. The breadth and allowance for build variety is something that HK does better than any of its competitors.

Sarathiour

Cipher
As inevitably happens in conversations about HK, I’m increasingly skeptical that those of you complaining about it played past Greenpath.
All the areas look the same? That’s a laughable claim that is demonstrably false.
The game requires you to use the anti-knockback charm to proceed? Sounds like someone got filtered by their own ineptitude and is blaming the game for it. The breadth and allowance for build variety is something that HK does better than any of its competitors.

Yeah, sound like usual codexian countrarism. HK is not my favorite metroidvania or platformer, but most of the critics over the last page are ridiculous.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
the issue is that HK faggots have to talk about HK in threads that aren't even about HK, and when you say you don't like HK they act indignant like "why are you even in this thread then?" when it's not even a thread about HK.

Insufferable fanbase. I hope Silksong gets cancelled just to spite you people.

Sarathiour

Cipher
I mean he gave three title , and you single out HK, and then proceed to act butthurt.

Anyway, i only did the first three ending of HK, so silksong can still get delayed/canceled, I don't really care.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom