Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Ruined King - League of Legends turn-based RPG by Battle Chasers dev

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Elise_0.jpg

This brings back the age old question: girl tophalf, spider bottomhalf or spider tophalf, girl bottomhalf?
All depends on whether you browse the boobs thread more or the butt thread more.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
:necro:

Coming early next year, no gameplay trailer:

Rise Against Ruin
Unite a party of League of Legends Champions, explore Bilgewater and set sail for the Shadow Isles to uncover the secrets of the deadly Black Mist.

6_Cropped.png

RK_CrownDivider_new.png

Developed by Airship Syndicate and featuring the art style of legendary comic book artist Joe Madureira, creators of Battle Chasers and Darksiders, Ruined King: A League of Legends Story is the first Riot Forge game that invites you to explore the League of Legends universe. In this immersive turn-based RPG, you will have the freedom to configure your party and control an unlikely group of League of Legends champions, explore the bustling city of Bilgewater and the mysterious Shadow Isles, and experience the Lane Initiative System.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...-legends-rpg-ruined-king-is-coming-early-2021

Single-player League of Legends "true RPG" Ruined King coming early 2021
On PS4, Xbox One, PC and Switch first, with free upgrades to next-gen.

Ruined King, the League of Legends-set RPG announced a little while back, now has a broad release window of "early 2021" for Switch, PS4, Xbox One, Steam and the Epic Games Store. There are free upgrades for those that own it on PS4 or Xbox One to the PS5 and Xbox Series S/X versions respectively, which are coming "soon thereafter".

Developed by Airship Syndicate, the studio behind Battle Chasers and the pleasant surprise that was Darksiders: Genesis, Ruined King is being published under the Riot Forge moniker - a kind of in-house publishing arm from Riot Games, specifically targeting "completable" games in the LoL universe, developed by other, non-Riot studios.

It's a turn-based RPG (separate to the other RPG-looking game Riot teased last year as 'Project F'), and single-player only, meaning no co-op or anything of the like. There are six playable characters, all champions from League of Legends - Miss Fortune, Braum, Illaoi, Yasuo, Ahri and Pyke, for those familiar with the MOBA - who you'll add to your group along the way and rotate in and out of a party of three. And it's set in Bilgewater and The Shadow Isles, which are two regions - an argey-bargey piratey one and a spooky underworld one - in the LoL world of Runeterra. Here's a fancy new trailer giving it a tease:
There's not an awful lot else that's known about it just yet - we should hopefully get a look at gameplay "in the coming months" - but we spoke with the head of Riot Forge, Leanne Lombe, plus Airship Syndicate CEO Joe Madureira, who gave us a bit more detail.

"This one is narratively focused," Madureira said, for one. "So the characters are constantly interacting in and out of battle - the adventure and story elements are just as important as the combat." Although there's no romancing - condolances to thirsty BioWare fans - Madureira did promise it was a "true RPG", with "a lot of exploration and interaction with both the environments and tonnes of NPCs." There are also more League of Legends characters set to make an appearance, Madureira said, although he wouldn't elaborate any further.

"We had a world map in Battle Chasers, we got rid of that," he added. "So you don't move around on little nodes, you're actually in the world exploring the environments, the characters are in the environments, all the NPCs you interact with. So it's a much more immersive experience, and that was important for us. We didn't feel like for League of Legends with as rich as and huge as the world is, that players would be content just walking around on a map. So all the exploration is really fleshed out."

jpg
jpg
jpg

Ahri, Braum, and Miss Fortune.

Loombe also stressed the the fact that it's still an "indie" game, in their eyes, rather than a triple-A joint, which makes sense as Airship Syndicate is still a smallish team, of around 20 or so developers full time, in-house. It's something Madureira also reckons helped the studio cope with the effects of the pandemic, "I think if we had hundreds of people trying to do this, it would be getting out of hand. I think we're still a manageable size to where it didn't impact us, as it probably did some other developers."

Madureira's personal background, meanwhile, is actually in comics, working on Uncanny X-Men amongst others, and so "the handcrafted, bespoke illustration," as Loombe put it, as seen in the trailer and artwork released so far, is "definitely something that I think sets the game apart," and also part of what made the partnership so attractive. In her words, the goal with Riot Forge is to focus on games that can "really drive the narrative forward for the League of Legends universe," and that the studio is keen to "reimagine League of Legends in a different way," with Madureira's art and Airship Syndicate's background apparently being a key part of Riot's decision to approach the studio.

I was also curious about how much freedom Airship Syndicate would have, what with this being a "canon" game still managed by Riot as publisher, and whether this was a Disney, Star Wars, EA kind of situation where things had to go right up the chain. Loombe emphasised how much Riot wants the developers it teams up with to "creatively own the games," though, with Madureira adding that the developer had "quite a bit of freedom," still. "The freedom was definitely there - I don't feel like we were ever told 'no, you can't do that'... it was surprisingly smooth. I say surprising because I have work on other people's IP," he added with a laugh.

jpg
jpg
jpg

Illaoi, Pyke, and Yasuo.

What else? Well, details on things like cross-buy, cross-save and the like are still up in the air ("as you know with new generations of consoles, things do get worked out at the very last minute..."), and things like Game Pass have been considered although again, "we need to figure out what makes sense for players and the game," was how Loombe put it.

Early days then, basically, but with the heft of Riot behind it and that knack for a good time Airship Syndicate showed with Darksiders: Genesis, maybe one to keep an eye on.

Bara

Arcane
So far it looks like the only change between the two games is moving the turn order bar from the left side of the screen to the bottom middle and changing the UI of the action bar/box.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Interesting, graphix looks much worse than their last game Darksiders Genesis. Looks like a mobile game. Still, I had a lot of fun with Genesis, keeping an eye on this.

Sykar

Arcane
As someone who has played League since I was like 11-12 when the game first came out and has continued to play on and off whenever I'm bored, I can say with 100% confidence that this will be shit.

If it is as good as their control of baseless accusations, like a certain guy whose account name was "Rakys" being accused of using a "racist" name for his account name, then the game will be bottom of the barrel tier trash.

:hmmm:

Xunwael

Educated
All I remember from Battle Chasers was that it was super fucking easy and thus super fucking boring. For turn-based games you either need to go full-JRPG and have the combat be irrelevant digressions between the inane story about 14 year olds killing god, or you need to go full The Last Remnant and just make your player lose every meaningful fight 10 times in a row. Actually, I think some of those bosses took closer to triple-digits.

Reever

Scholar
Patron
They're really trying to push this world as a big IP. I always felt like lol's "world" was extremely generic and just a mash of random high fantasy tropes that didn't felt cohesive at all. But I guess if you pour enough money, it doesn't really matter.

Arthandas

Liturgist
For turn-based games you either need to go full-JRPG and have the combat be irrelevant digressions between the inane story about 14 year olds killing god, or you need to go full The Last Remnant and just make your player lose every meaningful fight 10 times in a row. Actually, I think some of those bosses took closer to triple-digits.
Truer words have never been spoken.

Sykar

Arcane
They're really trying to push this world as a big IP. I always felt like lol's "world" was extremely generic and just a mash of random high fantasy tropes that didn't felt cohesive at all. But I guess if you pour enough money, it doesn't really matter.

That and having a retarded braindead fanbase. Just look at Elder Scrolls and Failderp 3/4/76.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
That's exactly the problem. Game is full of overpowered characters and high fantasy themes/niches that just don't go together very well.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I mean Valve tried something similar with Dota IP where it's a similar case of a cavalcade of characters with incoherent styles and single paragraph backstories trying to be made something cohesive. The difference being that Riot is willing to commit shitload of resources to these expanded IP projects because they know that their main product isn't going to be relevant forever. Whereas for Valve they can just throw shit on the wall if they like and see if it sticks, Steam is printing money for them anyway.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
Yes but that's not really any different from Warcraft or Golarion or any other kitchen sink fantasy ip. You can tell a good story in an incoherent world, at least if the story takes place in only one part of it. Arcane is proof of that, although I have doubts Ruined King and all their recently announced games will live up to that.

Arthandas

Liturgist
I won't lie, the concept of playing LoL without any other users is very enthralling, though if it's as dead easy as Battle Chasers, then it's a hard pass.

Dodo1610

Arcane
so I have had time to play this for 1.5h and I like it so far. As I hoped it seems to be a faster, updated version of Battlechasers. Also it has a fantasy pirate setting which is pretty rare.
Though quite a few peopme complain about softlock bugs, but I didn't have any problems so far at least.

Renevent

Cipher
I actually really enjoyed Battle Chasers, thought it was pretty great and it was nice to play and enjoy a JRPG (used to love them in the NES/SNES days). Newer JRPG's are just horseshit stuffed with insane stories and constant forced cutscenes...Battle Chasers seemed to have more western sensibilities in that regard. That being said I didn't realize this game was based on League of Legends which is giving me some reservations about picking it up.

Gradenmayer

Learned
This is Battle Chasers 2 with setting swapped to League with a higher budget and a couple of new core mechanics:
1. Lane skill: just skills, but you have 3 states at which you can cast them- slow, normal, fast (affects how far back it puts you on the initiative line and how much dmg/heal/shield the spell applies).
2. Boons/Hazards: they appear on the initiative line and grand buffs/debuffs to you or enemies if you align with them. Leads to an interesting dynamic of having to push enemies out of it and getting in there yourself by manipulating initiative with line skills and pushes.

Some Enemies have special conditions that can only be removed by lane skill of certain type and etc.

I am enjoying the battles in this a lot so far, some trash mobs almost kicked my teeth in. Recommend starting with the hard mode or above tho.

Last edited:

Gradenmayer

Learned
I actually really enjoyed Battle Chasers, thought it was pretty great and it was nice to play and enjoy a JRPG (used to love them in the NES/SNES days). Newer JRPG's are just horseshit stuffed with insane stories and constant forced cutscenes...Battle Chasers seemed to have more western sensibilities in that regard. That being said I didn't realize this game was based on League of Legends which is giving me some reservations about picking it up.
It has more cutscenes than Battlechasers ( those comic style ones), but not to a degree that can rival Jrpgs.

Setting is a pirate land/ghost island with kraken god priests, angry captains and alike. Rest is as I described above. The only issue I have so far, is locations being unnecessarily big. Maybe it will drop the ball down the line, but if you like Nighwar, you will probably enjoy this.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom