Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SAD RPG: A Social Anxiety Role Playing Game

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Judging by the cover name alone, this is a Codex GOAT.

is an experimental indie computer RPG game about social anxiety. It's an unexpectedly colourful, weird and full of surprises journey with our own story about dealing with Social Anxiety Disorder.

:thumbsup:

just

Liturgist
hope she's romancable

ss_69858aa9f44db6d259703b4472feab50ea6a6230.1920x1080.jpg

Ghulgothas

Arcane
Pile of Dirty Laundry and Sink Full of Filthy Dishes need to be endgame superbosses, available from the start but insurmountable until the very end. Your character can grind self-esteem by jannying on assorted internet forums.

LarryTyphoid

Scholar
An indie game about depression and """anxiety"""?! Imagine my shock!! Fucking faggot indie devs, I hope they all kill themselves.

Depression isn't real. Just be happy, retard.

Null Null

Arbiter
The irony is, there are probably a fair number of codexers with social anxiety. Come on, who sits indoors and plays video games all day? ;)

I'm going to make a reverse-shitpost on the off-chance it will actually help someone: Cognitive-behavioral therapy tells you that your thoughts create your feelings and has you do things like write journals to challenge your own anxious thoughts. ("Do those people really hate me, and if they did, would it be so bad?") It's actually the opposite of the classic SJW "I can't function because someone made a microaggression on me!" line.

It has surprisingly 'based' roots in Stoicism, believe it or not.

Norfleet

Fake news, you totally CAN fight fire with fire. In fact, for the most intractable fires, that's the ONLY way to fight them, with the most extreme fire: Dynamite and even NUKES, as was done in the Soviet Union for a really persistent oil well fire.

Jackpot

Learned
I'll never understand these kinds of games.
I play videogames to ESCAPE shit like anxiety and depression, not reflect on them!

Xunwael

Educated
The irony is, there are probably a fair number of codexers with social anxiety. Come on, who sits indoors and plays video games all day? ;)

I'm going to make a reverse-shitpost on the off-chance it will actually help someone: Cognitive-behavioral therapy tells you that your thoughts create your feelings and has you do things like write journals to challenge your own anxious thoughts. ("Do those people really hate me, and if they did, would it be so bad?") It's actually the opposite of the classic SJW "I can't function because someone made a microaggression on me!" line.

It has surprisingly 'based' roots in Stoicism, believe it or not.
CBT is a scam just like all the other psychotherapies, and it follows the same trajectory as them. Looks great when only people motivated to validate it do studies on it, then disinterested people start studying it over the next couple of decades that it takes it to become mainstream and they find that it works just as well as all the others. Which is to say that CBT is as effectively as going to your priest. Or talking to a friend. Or sharing your problems with basically anyone who cares. Yeah, it's better than *nothing*, but it's not good. If anything, it's a symptom that your social circle is profoundly dysfunctional, since you apparently have literally nobody in it who is mentally healthy enough to have a helpful conversation with. So you outsource your mental well-being to an amoral institution. What milieu are you even living in at that point? And that's assuming the practitioner isn't crazy themselves, and that you're not suggestible yourself (which you probably are, since otherwise therapy will have no effect on you), in which case they may do insane shit like plant suggestions in you that your dad raped you when you were 4, while sacrificing your newborn sister to satan in a cult ritual, and that's why you have all your current issues and also he needs to be put in prison or at least you need to destroy your family over it. Or they're running around acting like intermediaries for coma patients like they're playing with a wigi board or teaching fucking horses to count, when of course they're not issuing screeds about how men suffer from "toxic masculinity" because psychotherapy isn't working on them - big surprise, since the only utility it has is to feed the narcissism of people without real problems. If you're depressed and fucked up because your life is shit, they've got no idea how to treat that. But if you're a whiny, entitled woman who doesn't feel that she gets enough emotional validation from her social circle, having someone to go to who you pay to listen to your griping for hours on end is great.

In conclusion, L. Ron Hubbard was right, Tom Cruise is the picture of mental health, and psychiatrists should go back to treating women's neurosies by using vibrators to give them orgasms (they're literally fucking their patients already anyway). At least that would create some marginal improvement in the world. And men who complain about their feelings should get punched in the face to give them something real to cry about, and if that doesn't work then you should start showing up to their place with a knife and chase them around town with it to force them to socialize whether they want to or not. We could do it like they do those "big sister" initiatives that have women going around visiting shut-ins in an attempt to coax them out of isolation, except instead it'd be a bunch of burly guys with knives who'd bust into your place and chase you around for a day. Couldn't be a worse solution than the current ones.

Probably more people would play *that* game about treating anxiety as well, because looking at the gameplay this game looks like more of a shitpost than this is. There are a few of these games floating around that just borrow concepts from omnipresent, religious-like "mental health" zeitgeist as a bizarre aesthetic choice, like the progressive equivalent of a christfag making a game about being jesus and walking around saving the souls of sinners in new york or whatever. If we're lucky, we may even get to see a TempleOS equivalent one of these days. Certainly there are enough code-savvy mentally ill progressives with NEETbux and nothing but time on their hands, and more of them are raised every day. It could happen.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Apparently one of the symptoms of social anxiety is not being able to make a trailer that shows what the fuck your game is.

I have no problem with the concept but this just looks like hipster bullshit. If someone actually had social anxiety, would they release an indie game in 2021 and hope for a good reception?

distant

Learned
I'll never understand these kinds of games.
I play videogames to ESCAPE shit like anxiety and depression, not reflect on them!

It's about leaning into it, makes me feel better anyway, Pathologic 2 got me through a pretty rough spot.

CBT is a scam just like all the other psychotherapies, and it follows the same trajectory as them. Looks great when only people motivated to validate it do studies on it, then disinterested people start studying it over the next couple of decades that it takes it to become mainstream and they find that it works just as well as all the others. Which is to say that CBT is as effectively as going to your priest. Or talking to a friend. Or sharing your problems with basically anyone who cares. Yeah, it's better than *nothing*, but it's not good. If anything, it's a symptom that your social circle is profoundly dysfunctional, since you apparently have literally nobody in it who is mentally healthy enough to have a helpful conversation with. So you outsource your mental well-being to an amoral institution. What milieu are you even living in at that point? And that's assuming the practitioner isn't crazy themselves, and that you're not suggestible yourself (which you probably are, since otherwise therapy will have no effect on you), in which case they may do insane shit like plant suggestions in you that your dad raped you when you were 4, while sacrificing your newborn sister to satan in a cult ritual, and that's why you have all your current issues and also he needs to be put in prison or at least you need to destroy your family over it. Or they're running around acting like intermediaries for coma patients like they're playing with a wigi board or teaching fucking horses to count, when of course they're not issuing screeds about how men suffer from "toxic masculinity" because psychotherapy isn't working on them - big surprise, since the only utility it has is to feed the narcissism of people without real problems. If you're depressed and fucked up because your life is shit, they've got no idea how to treat that. But if you're a whiny, entitled woman who doesn't feel that she gets enough emotional validation from her social circle, having someone to go to who you pay to listen to your griping for hours on end is great.

In conclusion, L. Ron Hubbard was right, Tom Cruise is the picture of mental health, and psychiatrists should go back to treating women's neurosies by using vibrators to give them orgasms (they're literally fucking their patients already anyway). At least that would create some marginal improvement in the world. And men who complain about their feelings should get punched in the face to give them something real to cry about, and if that doesn't work then you should start showing up to their place with a knife and chase them around town with it to force them to socialize whether they want to or not. We could do it like they do those "big sister" initiatives that have women going around visiting shut-ins in an attempt to coax them out of isolation, except instead it'd be a bunch of burly guys with knives who'd bust into your place and chase you around for a day. Couldn't be a worse solution than the current ones.

Probably more people would play *that* game about treating anxiety as well, because looking at the gameplay this game looks like more of a shitpost than this is. There are a few of these games floating around that just borrow concepts from omnipresent, religious-like "mental health" zeitgeist as a bizarre aesthetic choice, like the progressive equivalent of a christfag making a game about being jesus and walking around saving the souls of sinners in new york or whatever. If we're lucky, we may even get to see a TempleOS equivalent one of these days. Certainly there are enough code-savvy mentally ill progressives with NEETbux and nothing but time on their hands, and more of them are raised every day. It could happen.
CBT is behavioral conditioning, like what was depicted in A Clockwork Orange. You have no idea what you're criticizing.

Divine Blessing

Scholar
this thread reminds me to continue my lecture of Prousts A La Recherche Du Temps Perdu, where he is trying to get laid (for free) on now 2000pages :D

overall Prousts impact on (post)modern literature is socio-analytical, a quite impressive perspective in an ignorant epoque, where conventions denied the reality of the human condition. more so, Prousts impertinent obsession with societys aesthetics still exceeds contemporary understanding of the basic mechanism of culture - an instrument of power to control (and exploit) competition.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Game should be a parody. Watching it sure madecme think it sort of was. I skipped most content in the vid. Boring as all fuck tbh.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom