Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Shin Megami Tensei V - It's been hurting my OCD.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
Welp, got to big story boss, dude gets in one regular attack against MC without any bonuses/maluses, and it's a 1HKO + reload. Good times.

Nuwa's standard Force attack vs level 20 MC. Might have to chuck 2k gold to get Force essence.

Nah , just search for those golden boxes around the game or go kill a shit ton of sudamas to get their essence.
I won against Nuwa by stalling her out because she keep it hitting my NULL Force MC and losing all turns. lmao Also High Pixie mvp

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Surprised to hear a lot of people got stuck on Nuwa. I mean I only play on normal, but it took ages for me to get past Hydra. Nuwa never even managed to make her AoE attack when I beat her. I actually started the game on hard, but after fighting the early mobs it felt like I'd need to grind for the first couple of hours which didn't appeal to me. Maybe on a second playthrough.
Also I read on /v/ that your alignment is showed by minimap glow. Clockwise motion is law, counterclockwise is chaos and even is neutral. Dunno if it's true.

Dishonoredbr

Liturgist
I'm playing on Hard and honestly, so far , the hardest bosses was Hydra.

Nuwas pretty free with Null force Force, Lahmu was free too (but the fight before him was pretty hard, three tries), Fionn Cumhail was a pain but grinding up to level 32 , Cironnup with Cautious Cheer and having a resist phys affinity made pretty easy. I having a harder time with absences mini-bosses so far.

Tip: Cautious Cheer is pretty busted.

Puukko

Arcane
I would've been more surprised if it remained a Switch exclusive. Sega just did a big thing about supporting PC more as they are finally awakening to all the money they can make on the platform. That's where all Japanese game dev is going toward.

I'm referencing myself affirming this very idea from a few pages ago, which was met with much disbelief.
You are not accounting for the monkey's paw. Remember what happened with Catherine?

Also I read on /v/ that your alignment is showed by minimap glow. Clockwise motion is law, counterclockwise is chaos and even is neutral. Dunno if it's true.

This is how it was in the SNES games, that is, your overworld player icon would rotate depending on alignment, but I hadn't even considered checking how it is with this game.

Tigranes

Arcane
Welp, got to big story boss, dude gets in one regular attack against MC without any bonuses/maluses, and it's a 1HKO + reload. Good times.

Nuwa's standard Force attack vs level 20 MC. Might have to chuck 2k gold to get Force essence.

Nah , just search for those golden boxes around the game or go kill a shit ton of sudamas to get their essence.
I won against Nuwa by stalling her out because she keep it hitting my NULL Force MC and losing all turns. lmao Also High Pixie mvp

Why grind when you can win without?

Jinn

Arcane
You are not accounting for the monkey's paw. Remember what happened with Catherine?

You guys seem to forget that Sony was involved with Catherine and Persona 5. Nintendo isn't much better, but unless it's solidly their IP - like Mario, Zelda, and Metroid - they aren't as viciously protective as Sony is with their "exclusives" unless it's something they've straight-up funded, like Bayonetta 2. I'm also still fairly certain we'll see P5 and Full Body on PC eventually too. Sony is clearly breaking down, as we see things like Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, and now God of War coming to PC.

All I'm really saying is enjoy your Switch/emulation - I'm happy you guys get to play it now - but don't get all butthurt when I state the fact that it will be hitting a superior platform eventually and that it's worth supporting that becoming the norm.

Last edited:

EvilWolf

Learned
I hate how, even when they have the exact same weaknesses, the game acts like demons you encounter at story segments are somehow different from the ones in your compendium and shows "?" when you target them with their weakness.

Retardo

Learned
I hate how, even when they have the exact same weaknesses, the game acts like demons you encounter at story segments are somehow different from the ones in your compendium and shows "?" when you target them with their weakness.
Yes.
Also, killing Mitamas gets old quickly.

Sentinel

Arcane
Vile Lahmu: A god that appears in Babylonian mythology, he was the first-born of Apsu of fresh water and Tiamat of salt water. At times, he either appears as a serpent or as a man with a red sash and six braids.

Silva

Arcane
I'm beginning to suspect this "proto-fiend Aogami" is some secret project from Japanese gov to deal with the demon world. And by recovering his memories we will unlock new abilities for this high-tech suit of ours. (I already unlocked "Aramasa"... coil as fuck!).

But please don't confirm or deny my theory, bros. I want to find this our for myself. I'm still trying to reach Tokyo Tower and I'm loving the game.

I'm beginning to suspect this "proto-fiend Aogami" is some secret project from Japanese gov to deal with the demon world.
Given one of the plot points in IV/Final this isn't an out of this world assumption.

Got Yuzu set up and tested this a bit. It emulates surprisingly well. Still think I'm going to wait for the pc version though.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I have a friend that's using Yuzu because he has an AMD card and ryujinx doesn't support Vulkan yet. He says the graphics are glitchy at times and he gets some stuttering in cutscenes. This is with a 6700xt and 3700x. I'm surprised so many of you are using the Yuzu when I have none of these issues on ryujinx

Sentinel

Arcane
I'm using Ryujinx as well. Yuzu crashes often and has glitchy graphics for me.

Ryujinx dev(s) fixed their emulator like 3 hours after the NSP was out and the game just works (TM). Yuzu devs get paid over 25k/month and half the shit doesn't even work properly. Genuinely embarrassing, but not surprising considering they're the same people who developed the pile of abandonware shit that is Citra.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
I think the only reason people use Yuzu is because it's faster but it's probably only faster because it's inaccurate. And maybe because ryujinx is coded in C#

Puukko

Arcane
There's a hybrid mod out that forces 1080p (including cutscenes), 60 fps cap and increased LOD while disabling AO (in this game its that dithering style of shadows on objects, so not the real deal) which confirms my suspicion that the cutscenes are actually in game, just locked to a shitty resolution and framerate even when both have been forced to be higher. I noticed this when I saw a visual glitch in the cutscenes which obviously wouldn't have been there if they were prerendered. I tried the mod on my own setup and welll... it's an alternative, but to my eyes it doesn't justify the decline in visuals and the performance improvements aren't quite as consistent or high as I'd like. I don't think you can get it working with the high resolution shadows either, but it does upscale the cutscenes, so it's a bit of give and take. I'm sure someone will like it.

I have a friend that's using Yuzu because he has an AMD card and ryujinx doesn't support Vulkan yet. He says the graphics are glitchy at times and he gets some stuttering in cutscenes. This is with a 6700xt and 3700x. I'm surprised so many of you are using the Yuzu when I have none of these issues on ryujinx

Yuzu has occasional minor visual glitches and rare major (restart worthy) ones and it crashes for me perhaps every 3 hours. I haven't lost any meaningful amount of progress due to this, however. Ryujinx is the "it just werks" option but Yuzu is well ahead in performance for me. The beginning of the third area gave me ~30 fps on ryujinx vs 45 on Yuzu using equivalent settings (2x res) and mods. I consider that a very worthy tradeoff.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
Yeah if you're running on a potato you may have to sacrifice the accuracy for speed. Ryujinx easily hits 80fps for me even with mods on a 5800X

Puukko

Arcane
Yeah if you're running on a potato you may have to sacrifice the accuracy for speed. Ryujinx easily hits 80fps for me even with mods on a 5800X
This is on an OC'd 5600x. What resolution are you playing at? Because I played the first 25 hours at 1x resolution happily but then opted to go full ham at 2x even though that cut my fps by a solid 30%. I still have no idea what the actual resolution is, but that huge jump in fidelity is worth it. My preference for these things seems to change depending on the phase of the moon. Hmm...

lightbane

Arcane
The girl (?) that is fit is now offering SMT V, for those who wish to try a demo.

Random question: If you refuse the Nabu-whatever guy's help right after starting the game, does the game force you to say "yes" anyway, or are you forced into a funny "game over" scene? Some of the games do that.

GhostCow

Balanced Gamer
Patron
This is on an OC'd 5600x. What resolution are you playing at? Because I played the first 25 hours at 1x resolution happily but then opted to go full ham at 2x even though that cut my fps by a solid 30%. I still have no idea what the actual resolution is, but that huge jump in fidelity is worth it. My preference for these things seems to change depending on the phase of the moon. Hmm...
I'm playing at 1x because I have a 1080p/240hz monitor. I'm very interested in trying that 1080p mod you mentioned if you can link it

Puukko

Arcane
I'm playing at 1x because I have a 1080p/240hz monitor. I'm very interested in trying that 1080p mod you mentioned if you can link it
https://yuzu-emu.org/wiki/switch-mods/

Amurada

Educated
I've been avoiding spoilers as best as I could for this game, and am holding out on a PS4 port eventually (I have a Switch, but No More Heroes 3 has completely turned me off from playing another third-party 3D open world title on Switch), and I don't know a single game reviewer alive worth reading, so I'll ask here.

Are the changes regarding the Press Turn System worth it; or is it casualization? I wasn't too worried when they first showed it off, as I thought that the change can possibly add a few dynamics to combat that have fallen out of my head already.

Does the Smirk system make a return, and if so, is it improved from the implementations SMT4A had; or did it regress to SMT4's? I enjoyed Smirk, and thought it was a great idea in need of some revisions, as the vanilla Press Turn system being what it is gives players who know enemy weaknesses too big of an advantage, and Smirk can somewhat mitigate that particular flaw.

Puukko

Arcane
I've been avoiding spoilers as best as I could for this game, and am holding out on a PS4 port eventually (I have a Switch, but No More Heroes 3 has completely turned me off from playing another third-party 3D open world title on Switch), and I don't know a single game reviewer alive worth reading, so I'll ask here.

Are the changes regarding the Press Turn System worth it; or is it casualization? I wasn't too worried when they first showed it off, as I thought that the change can possibly add a few dynamics to combat that have fallen out of my head already.

Does the Smirk system make a return, and if so, is it improved from the implementations SMT4A had; or did it regress to SMT4's? I enjoyed Smirk, and thought it was a great idea in need of some revisions, as the vanilla Press Turn system being what it is gives players who know enemy weaknesses too big of an advantage, and Smirk can somewhat mitigate that particular flaw.

I'm not sure what changes you're referring to. The press turn system works the same it has always worked. Buffs have been "nerfed" in that they don't stack as high, have a limited duration and start off as single target, but this only really makes them more valuable since you want to play around them more and it's not just a matter of "boss doesn't have dekaja? just stack everything to +6 lol".

Smirk has been replaced with the magatsuhi gauge which is just a bar that fills up from various actions and you can then use it for party wide buffs, or a Freikugel, or a full party heal, etc depending on what races of demons you have. Some say the system is inferior to smirk, I'm ambivalent on it.

The miracles and essence system offer most likely the largest breadth of customization available to the MC yet.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom