Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline is gaming officially over

the mole

Learned
Shitposter
For me it is, sort of anyway. Most of the franchises I like have been in decline since "insert whatever sequel here." Some haven't had a sequel in years and are dead. Some have even changed genres completely, meaning I've lost all interest in them. Others have been so good or so comprehensive that they have rendered all else in the genre too boring or too simple to enjoy. Nothing has come out to replace them. Some genres are too simple to enjoy anymore entirely. Lastly, I find it difficult to find anything interesting either because I've seen it all before or just out of bad luck. I should probably look further afield and get out of my comfort zone, but who gives a shit really. I'm getting older and I have enough to keep me occupied as is. As an aside, there are certainly ideas of games I'd like to see come into existence, but any time something comes out that claims to fit the bill it's usually underwhelming or still too shallow.

Last edited:

grim1234

Novice
Are we talking about RPGs only or games in general. Because I can point you towards games that are not complete dogshit. No Far Cries or other soulless shit like that, don't worry.

perfectslumbers

Arbiter
No, games are pretty good right now. Releases have slowed down from COVID and dev times are longer but I think things are decent, just games come out less often.

J1M

Arcane
everything is just dogshit now

a game looks interesting to me and then I read a bit about it and find out it's awful
Yes. The soul of the industry did not survive the generational replacement. It has been thoroughly colonized by special interest groups.

0wca

Learned
A lot of them are shit nowadays, regardless of genre, with RPGs having the biggest drought by far.

Just look at how many huge releases happened just in 1999 alone: Diablo 2, Age of Empires 2, Planescape Torment, Rollecoaster Tycoon, etc.

All classics and a lot of them still played to this day. Hell, AoE 2 still has tournaments and dedicated Youtube channels, even before the DE came out.

Time is the best judge of quality and a lot of great games have withstood it. How many games from the past 10 years (F:NV notwithstanding), will be remembered a decade from now? Very few, I imagine. If nothing else, the soul of gaming is gone because it's become a huge business and back in the day a lot of great companies went to shit because they took risks in order to do what they love. The only people doing that now are a handful of indie developers.

Couple that with the tsunami of identity politics and other horseshit they cram into games and they've now also become digital propaganda or, at the very least, a backtapping, virtue signaling circle jerk.

So it's not really dead, but it's basically on life-support and in a coma, so we don't know if its permanent or not.

Shaki

Arbiter
everything is just dogshit now

Always was, we were just younger and didn't know better.

That's why RPG Codex exists, so once you grow up, you can have a place to get together with other gamers, and discuss why every single game in existence is dogshit and we hate it.

ADL

Prophet
It's better than it ever has been if you know what to look for. Every niche I can think of is saturated if not oversaturated due to inexpensive tools with low barriers of entry and digital distribution. The games I tend to enjoy aren't taking the spotlight like they used to but they don't need to with low development costs associated with the modern game development landscape.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom