Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline is gaming officially over

thesoup

Arcane
not even close
not sure if we'll ever seen anything quite as bad as the post-xbox 360/PS3 drought again
What do you mean post? The ps3 / xbox360 era was the worst when every game was a third person cover shooter with health regen and bloody screens.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
You're someone's alt, might as well be his.

Posting style isn't nearly attention-whoring or camp enough to be Liberal. Plus he has a lot of posts in gaming threads.

This ain't it chief.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
not even close
not sure if we'll ever seen anything quite as bad as the post-xbox 360/PS3 drought again
What do you mean post? The ps3 / xbox360 era was the worst when every game was a third person cover shooter with health regen and bloody screens.

Yeah, that was definitely worse than now, when everything is Call of Doody 37, Battlefield 58 or Kickstarted Unity-based RPG's :lol:

And The New Shit can only run properly on graphics cards that no one can afford or find.

Azdul

Magister
everything is just dogshit now
Always was, we were just younger and didn't know better.
If you bought shiny new hardware - like Geforce 3080, Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X - there is nothing worthwhile that will take advantage of it.

But it is the same as it ever was. People tend to remember amazing games released towards end of commercial life of Commodore 64 or Amiga - not the crap released early on.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
everything is just dogshit now
Always was, we were just younger and didn't know better.
If you bought shiny new hardware - like Geforce 3080, Playstation 5 or Xbox Series X - there is nothing worthwhile that will take advantage of it.

But it is the same as it ever was. People tend to remember amazing games released towards end of commercial life of Commodore 64 or Amiga - not the crap released early on.

Yeah, super glad I got dat shiny new Pureisu 5 to enjoy CLASSICS such as Overcooked or First Class Trouble. The best things so far on it are Assassins' Creed Valhalla (PS4 remaster) and Hitman 2 (PS4 remaster of a remake of a 2002 game). DEFINITELY worth paying a scalper almost double retail.

Duraframe300

Arcane
Hard to answer.

As already mentioned it's not like we have a drought. There were way worse spells in the last 20 years and all niches are *satisfied*.

BUT, we also have a shit load more negatives.

Be that political garbage shoved into even good games, developers that outright tell you that they hate you (makes separating art from the artist much harder), every scam possible on earth in form of microtransactions NFT or whatever, game journalists that make consuming gaming related content a living hell instead of a fun past-time like in the 90's/early 2000's... and around a million other things.

In conclusion: Yes, there are games to play, but I think its also fair to say that its still one of the most depressing times in gaming history.

Last edited:

Lemming42

Arcane
2020 was a good year with a few great standout games and plenty of decent ones. This year has been incredibly thin to the point where I can't even immediately think of a single fucking game I played, but I'm chalking that up to coronavid and such.

Would actually be really interested to hear people's GOTY for 2021, I honestly can't think of anything.

lightbane

Arcane
Games are getting bad not only because of idiots becoming devs, but also because there's a palpable attack against ALL male interests for the last years, blame identity politics or whatever. Just look how disastrous the new SW movies were, or the disappointment and failed potential that HBS' Woketech was. Oh, and don't forget blaming the customer for your failings, the most annoying practice of them all.

Also, "they" replacing "he" and such mutating the English language to rub more salt on the wound.

"Officially" sounds weird. Nobody decides that, only you yourself. I think it is opposite, yes we are overburdened with unbelievable amount of crap especially from high-profile, most looked at publishers/studios. So what? They were going to suck anyway since it is just mainstream and in it for the money. Same applies to music.

Then you stop complaining and see that it is actually the best time ever. Many great games - Factorio, Kingdom Come, nuHitman, Breath of the Wild, Escape from Tarkov. You can also finally play games that stood the test of time - whether console or PC. And many times enhanced with mods or graphical patches. What more do you want?

Yes, PS3/360 era definitely went to some decline it still gave us the most varied games - Blur (which is pretty good with 4 play split-screen and a good setup), Demon's Souls, NeverDead, Alone in the Dark, Stuntman Ignition, Gran Turismo 5, Katamari games.

Many games/communities have just matured. Arma 3 is now extremely loaded with content and features (Arma is so influential and inspiring, it gave us DayZ, original Battle Royale mod, etc.). Many great games have now revived MP thanks to fans - so it stays forever, because devs cannot shut it down. BeamNG will soon be the most realistic vehicle simulation ever. Monomyth looks better and better.

"Thanks" to covid many people have time to play or work on their mods/projects.

I myself have been travelling a lot and thanks to my Vita I have been exposed to many classics I would just not want to play on my PC, even its own exclusives are amazing like Soul Sacrifice Delta, Freedom Wars and TearAway.

TLDR: You are looking at it wrong, gaming is better than ever. Apply your filters (a.k.a. ask codex).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom